Aspen Hill, Maryland
Geographic Coordinates: 39.092700, -77.082600
Climate: Data not available.
Aspen Hill is a charming and vibrant community located in Montgomery County, Maryland, United States. Nestled in the heart of the state, This suburban neighborhood offers a perfect blend of peaceful residential areas and bustling commercial districts. With its rich history, Diverse population, And convenient location near major cities like Washington D.C., Aspen Hill has become an attractive place for residents and visitors alike. One of the defining features of Aspen Hill is its stunning natural beauty. The area boasts numerous parks and green spaces that provide ample opportunities for outdoor activities.
Wheaton Regional Park is a local favorite, Offering extensive trails for hiking and biking, Picnic areas for family gatherings, As well as beautiful gardens to explore. Additionally, Nearby Rock Creek Park provides even more recreational options with its vast forested areas and meandering creek. The community’s strong sense of history can be felt throughout Aspen Hill. The nearby Sandy Spring Museum showcases the region’s past through engaging exhibits on local culture, Heritage crafts, And African American history.
Visitors can also step back in time by exploring Brookside Gardens’ historic conservatory or taking a tour of Oakley Cabin African American Museum & Park—a preserved 19th-century log cabin that serves as a reminder of Maryland’s diverse past. Aspen Hill truly shines when it comes to its diverse culinary scene. The neighborhood boasts an array of international restaurants representing various cuisines from around the world. From authentic Mexican taquerias to cozy Italian trattorias or trendy Asian fusion spots—the options are endless!
Food enthusiasts will find themselves spoiled for choice as they embark on a culinary journey through Aspen Hill’s vibrant dining establishments. For those seeking retail therapy or entertainment options, Aspen Hill does not disappoint either. Westfield Wheaton Mall serves as the area’s primary shopping destination with an extensive selection of stores ranging from popular fashion brands to specialty boutiques catering to all tastes and preferences. Movie buffs can catch the latest releases at AMC Wheaton Mall 9, Conveniently located within the mall itself. Transportation in Aspen Hill is convenient and efficient.
The neighborhood enjoys easy access to major highways, Including the I-495 Capital Beltway, Making commuting to nearby cities like Washington D.C., Silver Spring, Or Bethesda a breeze. Public transportation options are also readily available with various bus routes serving the area and Wheaton Metro Station providing direct access to the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) rail system. Aspen Hill’s educational institutions are highly regarded and offer top-notch learning opportunities for residents of all ages. Several public and private schools provide excellent academic programs, While Montgomery College offers higher education opportunities for those pursuing further studies.
Aspen Hill is a vibrant community that seamlessly blends natural beauty with rich history and modern conveniences. From its picturesque parks to its diverse culinary scene and proximity to major cities, This suburban gem has something for everyone. Whether you’re an outdoor enthusiast looking for adventure or a history buff seeking cultural experiences, Aspen Hill is sure to captivate you with its unique charm and welcoming atmosphere.
- Brookside Gardens: A beautiful public garden located in nearby Wheaton, featuring colorful flower displays, walking trails and a butterfly garden.
- Glen Echo Park: A historic amusement park turned arts center situated along the Potomac River. It offers art exhibitions, workshops, live performances and more.
- Rock Creek Park: One of the largest urban parks in the United States offering numerous recreational activities such as hiking trails, picnic spots, horseback riding paths and a nature center.
- National Museum of Health and Medicine: Located in Silver Spring nearby Aspen Hill; it houses medical artifacts including anatomical specimens from historical events like the Lincoln assassination.
- Strathmore Music Center: A renowned concert hall situated in North Bethesda that hosts various performances ranging from classical music to jazz concerts.
- Great Falls Park: Situated along the Potomac River on the border between Maryland and Virginia; it offers stunning views of powerful waterfalls and scenic hiking trails.
- Montgomery County Agricultural Reserve: A vast rural area known for its picturesque landscapes with farmland views that offer opportunities for outdoor activities such as biking or visiting local wineries.
These attractions provide visitors with diverse experiences ranging from natural beauty to cultural enrichment near Aspen Hill.
- Healthcare: There are several healthcare facilities in close proximity to Aspen Hill, such as Holy Cross Hospital and Adventist HealthCare White Oak Medical Center.
- Education: Aspen Hill is served by Montgomery County Public Schools, which includes various schools offering primary and secondary education.
- Retail: The area has numerous retail establishments ranging from small local shops to larger chain stores like Walmart and Target.
- Hospitality: Aspen Hill benefits from being close to popular tourist destinations such as Washington D.C., leading to a presence of hotels, restaurants, and other hospitality-related services.
- Professional Services: Many professional service providers operate in neighboring areas including law firms, accounting firms, financial institutions etc.
- Technology: With its proximity to Washington D.C., there are technology-related companies operating in nearby areas that provide services to government agencies or private organizations.
- Construction: The construction industry plays a role due to ongoing development projects within the region.
It’s important to note that while these industries exist around Aspen Hill rather than within it directly; they still contribute significantly towards employment opportunities and economic growth for residents of Aspen Hill and neighboring communities.
- Rachel Carson: The renowned environmentalist and author of Silent Spring lived in Aspen Hill during the 1950s and early 1960s.
- John Allen Muhammad: Also known as the D.C. Sniper, Muhammad lived in Aspen Hill during his killing spree in 2002.
- Bob Woodward: The investigative journalist and author, known for his work on Watergate alongside Carl Bernstein, resided in Aspen Hill for some time.
- Michael Beasley: A professional basketball player who has played for several NBA teams including the Miami Heat and Los Angeles Lakers was born in Aspen Hill.
- David Hasselhoff: The actor and singer famous for his roles on Knight Rider and Baywatch spent part of his childhood living in Aspen Hill.
While these individuals have connections to Aspen Hill, it is important to note that their association with the area does not necessarily imply any significant historical events tied directly to the community itself.
- Brookside Gardens: Located in Wheaton, just south of Aspen Hill, this beautiful 50-acre public garden features stunning landscapes, colorful flower displays, and serene walking paths.
- National Museum of Health and Medicine: Situated in Silver Spring, adjacent to Aspen Hill, this museum showcases medical artifacts and exhibits related to the history of medicine and military medicine.
- Strathmore: Located in North Bethesda, near Aspen Hill’s western border, Strathmore is a renowned arts center that hosts concerts by national and international artists across various genres.
- Glenstone Museum: Situated in Potomac near Aspen Hill’s southern border, Glenstone is a contemporary art museum spread over 300 acres of beautifully landscaped grounds featuring outdoor sculptures and indoor galleries.
- The Music Center at Strathmore: Adjacent to the main Strathmore campus mentioned earlier but with its own distinct venue for performing arts events including music concerts and theater performances.
- National Capital Trolley Museum: This museum situated in Colesville showcases vintage streetcars from different eras while offering rides on restored trolleys through scenic woods.
- Montgomery County Historical Society Museum: Located in Rockville nearby Aspen Hill’s eastern border; this museum depicts the rich history of Montgomery County through exhibits showcasing artifacts from different periods.
- Sandy Spring Slave Museum & African Art Gallery: Found in Sandy Spring close to Aspen Hill’s southeast corner; this small but significant museum focuses on preserving African American history with exhibits on slavery and African art.
While these attractions may not be directly located within Aspen Hill itself, they are all easily accessible from the area by car or public transportation for an enriching cultural experience.
- Washington Football Team (NFL): The Washington Football Team is based in Landover, Maryland, which is relatively close to Aspen Hill. They were established in 1932 and have a rich history in the NFL.
- Washington Capitals (NHL): The Washington Capitals are an ice hockey team based in Washington D.C., playing their home games at Capital One Arena. They were founded in 1974 and won their first Stanley Cup championship in 2018.
- Washington Wizards (NBA): The Washington Wizards are a professional basketball team based in Washington D.C., also playing their home games at Capital One Arena. They were originally known as the Chicago Packers when they were established in 1961 before moving to Baltimore and eventually settling down as the Wizards.
- D.C. United (MLS): D.C United is a Major League Soccer team located in Washington D.C., competing at Audi Field since its opening in 2018. They have won multiple MLS Cups throughout their history.
- Washington Nationals (MLB): Although not directly neighboring Aspen Hill, the MLB’s Washington Nationals play just outside of downtown DC at Nationals Park since relocating from Montreal after the 2004 season.
These teams attract fans from all over the region, including those residing or visiting Aspen Hill who support them passionately despite not having any local professional sports franchises themselves.
- Montgomery County Agricultural Fair: Held annually in August at the Montgomery County Fairgrounds in Gaithersburg, this fair showcases agriculture, livestock exhibits, carnival rides, live entertainment, food vendors, and more.
- Silver Spring Jazz Festival: Taking place each September at Veterans Plaza in downtown Silver Spring (near Aspen Hill), this festival features live jazz performances from local and national artists.
- Taste of Wheaton: Held annually in June at Wheaton Triangle (also near Aspen Hill), this event celebrates the diverse culinary scene of Wheaton with food tastings from various local restaurants.
- Kensington Labor Day Parade: Taking place on Labor Day weekend each year in neighboring Kensington (close to Aspen Hill), this parade features marching bands, floats, community groups, and other participants celebrating Labor Day.
- Gaithersburg Book Festival: An annual event held every May at the Gaithersburg City Hall grounds (nearby Aspen Hill). It brings together authors for book signings and readings along with workshops and activities for all ages.
- Rockville Hometown Holidays: This Memorial Day weekend event is held annually in Rockville Town Center (a short distance from Aspen Hill) featuring live music performances on multiple stages along with family-friendly activities like a parade and fireworks display.
These are just a few examples of cultural events and festivals that take place near Aspen Hill within Montgomery County or its surrounding areas throughout the year.
- El Pollo Rico: This Peruvian-style chicken restaurant is highly regarded for its flavorful rotisserie chicken and delicious sides like yuca fries and plantains.
- Pho VN One: A Vietnamese restaurant offering authentic pho noodle soup, banh mi sandwiches, spring rolls, and other traditional Vietnamese dishes.
- India Palace: Known for its extensive menu of Indian cuisine, India Palace offers a variety of flavorful curries, tandoori dishes, biryanis, and naan bread.
- Seoulia Korean BBQ & Hot Pot: This Korean restaurant specializes in all-you-can-eat Korean BBQ where you can grill your own meats at the table. They also offer hot pot options with various broths and ingredients.
- Cielo Rojo Mexican Grill & Cantina: Serving up classic Mexican dishes like tacos, enchiladas, fajitas, and margaritas in a vibrant atmosphere.
- Thai Cuisine Restaurant: A family-owned Thai restaurant offering an array of authentic Thai dishes such as pad thai noodles, green curry chicken or shrimp, tom yum soup, and more.
- Ruan Thai Restaurant: Another local favorite for Thai cuisine with an extensive menu featuring favorites like pineapple fried rice, satay skewers, pad see ew noodles, and red or green curry dishes.
These are just a few examples of popular local cuisine and restaurants in Aspen Hill that offer diverse flavors to cater to different tastes.
- Matthew Henson State Park: This park is known for its scenic trails that offer opportunities for hiking, biking, and nature walks. It also has picnic areas and a playground.
- Strathmore-Grosvenor Neighborhood Park: This park features a variety of amenities such as tennis courts, basketball courts, baseball fields, soccer fields, playgrounds, picnic areas with grills, and walking paths.
- Rock Creek Regional Park: Located nearby in Derwood (adjacent to Aspen Hill), this expansive park offers numerous recreational activities including hiking trails, horseback riding trails, fishing spots along Rock Creek Lake or Lake Needwood (within the park), boating rentals on Lake Needwood during summer months (kayaks/canoes/pedal boats), picnic areas with grills or shelters available for reservation.
- Olney Manor Recreational Park: Situated just south of Aspen Hill in Olney town offers various sports facilities like tennis courts; baseball/softball fields; soccer/lacrosse fields; volleyball/basketball courts; batting cages; mini-golf course; an outdoor pool with waterslides (seasonal); playgrounds; picnic areas with grills/shelters available to reserve.
- Brookside Gardens: Though not technically a park but a beautiful horticultural display garden situated within Wheaton Regional Park nearby Aspen Hill offering stunning landscapes & gardens including aquatic garden & conservatory filled with tropical plants – perfect for leisurely walks or picnics amidst nature’s beauty.
These are just some examples of public parks and recreational activities available in the Aspen Hill area. There may be other smaller neighborhood parks or local community centers that offer additional options as well.