Region: Évry is located in the Île-de-France region
Geographic Coordinates: 48.623900, 2.429400
Climate: Évry, France experiences a temperate climate with mild summers and cool winters.
Évry is a vibrant and modern city located in the Île-de-France region of France. Situated just 25 kilometers south of Paris, This bustling urban center offers a unique blend of history, Culture, And contemporary architecture. Known for its innovative design and forward-thinking approach to urban planning, Évry has become an emblematic example of France’s architectural prowess. One of the city’s most striking features is its remarkable skyline dominated by towering skyscrapers. The Agora complex stands out as the centerpiece with its distinctive pyramid-shaped structures that house various administrative offices and commercial spaces.
Designed by renowned architect Ricardo Bofill in the 1970s, This architectural marvel showcases Évry’s commitment to modernity and innovation. Beyond its impressive architecture, Évry boasts a rich historical heritage that dates back centuries. The Cathedral of the Resurrection is one such landmark that captivates visitors with its intriguing mix of medieval and contemporary design elements. This unique cathedral was designed by Swiss architect Mario Botta in the late 1990s and serves as a symbol of religious tolerance within the city. Évry also offers an array of cultural attractions for visitors to explore.
The Musée Paul Delouvrier showcases contemporary art exhibitions, While L’Agora Theater hosts theatrical performances ranging from classical plays to avant-garde productions. Additionally, Évry boasts numerous parks and green spaces where locals can relax or engage in recreational activities amidst nature. For those seeking retail therapy or culinary delights, Évry doesn’t disappoint either. The Evry2 shopping center houses over 200 stores offering everything from high-end fashion brands to local boutiques selling artisanal goods. Meanwhile, Food enthusiasts can indulge their taste buds at one of many restaurants serving diverse cuisines ranging from traditional French fare to international delicacies.
Moreover, Évry benefits from excellent transportation links that make it easily accessible for both tourists and residents. The RER D train line connects Évry to Paris, Allowing for seamless travel between the two cities. Additionally, The city’s efficient bus network provides convenient transportation within Évry and its surrounding areas. Évry is a captivating city that seamlessly blends modernity with history. Its awe-inspiring architecture, Cultural attractions, And diverse culinary scene make it an enticing destination for travelers seeking an alternative to bustling Paris.
Whether you’re interested in contemporary design or exploring centuries-old cathedrals, Évry offers a unique experience that will leave a lasting impression on all who visit.
- Cathédrale de la Résurrection: This modern cathedral is a prominent landmark in Évry, known for its unique architecture and stunning stained glass windows.
- Agora Garden: A large shopping center located in the heart of Évry, offering a variety of shops, restaurants, and entertainment options.
- Parc des Coquibus: A beautiful park with lush greenery and walking paths, perfect for picnics or leisurely strolls.
- Musée Paul Delouvrier: This museum showcases the history and culture of Évry through various exhibitions and displays.
- La Ferme du Bois Briard: A charming farm where visitors can interact with animals such as goats, pigs, rabbits, and chickens.
- L’Arboretum d’Hiver: A serene botanical garden featuring a wide variety of trees and plants from different regions around the world.
- Le Théâtre de l’Agora – Scène Nationale d’Évry et de l’Essonne: This theater hosts various performances including plays, concerts, dance shows, and more.
- Les Passages Couverts d’Evry-Courcouronnes: These covered passages offer a unique shopping experience with their diverse range of stores selling fashion items to food products.
- Base de Loisirs d’Étiolles-Évry-Courcouronnes-Draveil: Located on the outskirts of Évry, this recreational area offers activities such as swimming pools, water sports facilities, and hiking trails along the riverbank.
- Eglise Saint-Pierre-Saint-Paul: This historic church is known for its beautiful architecture dating back to the 12th century.
These are just some examples; there are many other attractions and landmarks to explore in Évry, France.
- Technology and Innovation: Évry has a strong presence in the technology sector, with several research centers, technology parks, and innovation hubs. It is known for its expertise in areas such as biotechnology, information technology, telecommunications, and software development.
- Financial Services: Évry houses numerous financial institutions including banks, insurance companies, investment firms, and financial service providers. The city’s proximity to Paris makes it an attractive location for these businesses.
- Research and Education: Évry is home to several prestigious research institutions like Genopole (a biotechnology cluster), University of Evry-Val-d’Essonne (UEVE), National Institute for Research in Computer Science and Automation (INRIA), National Institute of Health & Medical Research (INSERM), etc.
- Healthcare: The healthcare sector is well-developed in Évry with numerous hospitals, clinics, medical laboratories as well as pharmaceutical companies operating within the city.
- Retail Sector: With a large population base nearby due to its proximity to Paris suburbs like Essonne department or Ile-de-France region itself; Évry has a thriving retail sector that includes shopping malls such as Evry 2 Mall which hosts various national/international brands.
- Transportation Services: Due to its strategic location near major highways like A6/A10/A104/N7/N104; many logistics companies have established their operations here providing transportation services including warehousing & distribution facilities.
Overall, Évry boasts a diverse economy with significant contributions from technology-driven industries like biotechnology and IT services along with finance-related sectors while also having notable presence from education/research institutions making it an important economic hub within the Île-de-France region.
- Construction of Évry: Évry was established as a new town in the late 1960s as part of the French government’s plan to decentralize Paris. The construction of this modern city began in 1966 under the direction of architect Ricardo Bofill.
- Cathedral of the Resurrection: The Cathedral of the Resurrection, also known as Cathédrale de la Résurrection d’Évry, is one of Évry’s most iconic landmarks. It was designed by Swiss architect Mario Botta and completed in 1995.
- Nicolas Sarkozy: Former French President Nicolas Sarkozy has strong ties to Évry. He served as mayor of Évry from 2001 to 2005 before becoming President in 2007.
- Grand Mosque: The Grand Mosque (Grande Mosquée) in Évry is one of France’s largest mosques and an important religious center for Muslims living in the region.
- Université d’Évry-Val-d’Essonne: Established in 1991, Université d’Évry-Val-d’Essonne is a renowned university located in Évry that offers various academic programs across multiple disciplines.
- European Space Agency (ESA): Located on the outskirts of Évry, ESA’s European Space Operations Centre (ESOC) serves as a control center for satellite operations and space missions.
- Jacques Toubon: Jacques Toubon, a prominent French politician and former Minister for Culture under President Jacques Chirac, was born in Évreux but grew up and started his political career there.
- Jean-Luc Mélenchon: Jean-Luc Mélenchon, a well-known left-wing politician and leader of the political party La France Insoumise, was born in Tangier, Morocco but spent part of his childhood in Évry.
These are just a few examples of notable historical events and people associated with Évry, France. The city has a diverse and vibrant history that continues to evolve.
- Cathédrale de la Résurrection d’Évry: This modern cathedral is a must-visit landmark in Évry. Its unique architecture and stunning stained glass windows make it a beautiful sight to behold.
- Musée Paul Delouvrier: Located within the town hall complex, this museum showcases various contemporary art exhibitions. It also hosts cultural events and workshops.
- Le Planétarium d’Évry-Courcouronnes: Explore the wonders of space at this planetarium where you can learn about astronomy through immersive shows and exhibits.
- Centre Commercial Evry 2: If you enjoy shopping, head to this large shopping center for a wide range of stores offering fashion, electronics, home goods, and more.
- L’Agora – Maison des Arts et de la Culture: This cultural center hosts various performances including theater plays, concerts, dance shows, and exhibitions throughout the year.
- Les Passages Couverts d’Evry-Courcouronnes: Take a stroll through these covered passages featuring shops and restaurants for a unique shopping experience.
- Jardin des Droits de l’Homme et du Citoyen (Garden of Human Rights): Enjoy some tranquility in this peaceful garden while admiring sculptures representing human rights themes.
- Parc des Coquibus: A lovely park with green spaces perfect for picnics or leisurely walks along its paths lined with trees and flowers.
- La Médiathèque Simone-de-Beauvoir (Library): If you’re interested in literature or simply want to relax with a book or magazine during your visit to Évry, the library offers an extensive collection for all ages.
- Base de Loisirs de Draveil Port aux Cerises: Located nearby in Draveil, this recreational area offers water activities, hiking trails, picnic areas, and a beach for a fun day out.
Remember to check the opening hours and availability of these places before visiting as they may be subject to change.
- FC Évry: Founded in 1966, FC Évry is a football (soccer) club based in Évry. The club has had various successes at the local and regional levels.
- Evry Rugby Club: Established in 1970, Evry Rugby Club is a rugby union team that competes at the amateur level. The club focuses on developing young players and promoting the sport locally.
- USOBE Athlétisme: USOBE Athlétisme is an athletics club based in Évry that offers training and competition opportunities for athletes of all ages and abilities.
- Cercle d’Escrime d’Evry-Bondoufle: This fencing club was founded in 1987 and provides training for both beginners and experienced fencers.
It’s important to note that while these clubs have their roots or activities centered around Évry, they may also represent neighboring towns or regions as part of their competitions or affiliations with national federations.
- Festival de l’Oh: This festival celebrates the river Seine and its influence on the region. It includes various activities such as boat races, concerts, art exhibitions, and fireworks.
- Fête de la Musique: Évry participates in this nationwide music festival held on June 21st each year. The city comes alive with live music performances in streets, parks, and public spaces.
- Festival d’Évry Courcouronnes Danse Hip-Hop: This dance festival showcases the vibrant hip-hop culture of Évry and brings together local and international dancers for performances, workshops, battles, and competitions.
- Festival International du Cirque d’Évry: Held annually in March/April, this circus festival features renowned circus troupes from around the world who perform breathtaking acrobatics, clown acts, jugglery, and more.
- Journées Européennes du Patrimoine (European Heritage Days): During these days in September each year several historical sites in Évry open their doors to the public for free guided tours and cultural events to promote awareness of local heritage.
- Fête des Lumières (Festival of Lights): Inspired by Lyon’s famous event of the same name but on a smaller scale this festival illuminates Évry with artistic light installations during December to celebrate Christmas season.
- Festival Essonne en Scène: This performing arts festival takes place across different venues in Évry throughout the year featuring theater plays dance performances comedy shows by professional artists as well as emerging talents from Essonne region.
- Carnaval d’Évry-Courcouronnes: A colorful carnival procession held during spring where participants dress up in costumes representing different themes while parading through the streets accompanied by music bands.
These are just a few examples of cultural events and festivals that take place in Évry. The city also hosts various other events related to art, film, sports, and more throughout the year.
- Galette d’Évry: This is a traditional dish from Évry, consisting of a buckwheat pancake filled with various ingredients like ham, cheese, mushrooms or eggs.
- Bistrot de l’Écuyer: A cozy and popular restaurant in Évry that serves French cuisine with a modern twist. They offer dishes like duck confit, beef bourguignon and crème brûlée.
- Le Petit Comptoir: Known for its warm atmosphere and friendly service, this restaurant specializes in traditional French dishes such as escargots (snails), foie gras and boeuf bourguignon.
- Le Paradis du Fruit: A vibrant café that offers a range of healthy options including smoothies, fresh juices, salads, wraps and fruit-based desserts.
- Chez Maitre Kanter: This Alsatian brasserie is famous for its hearty meals such as choucroute garnie (sauerkraut with sausages), flammekueche (Alsatian pizza) and tarte flambée.
- La Table de Léa: A charming bistro serving classic French cuisine using fresh seasonal ingredients sourced locally whenever possible. Their menu includes dishes like grilled fish with ratatouille or roasted lamb with rosemary potatoes.
- La Taverne Bavaroise: If you’re craving German food while in Évry, this restaurant is the place to go! They serve authentic Bavarian specialties such as pretzels with beer cheese dip, schnitzel (breaded meat cutlets), sausages with sauerkraut or potato salad.
These are just a few examples of the popular local cuisine and restaurants you can find in Évry, France. There are many more options to explore and discover in this vibrant city.
- Parc des Coquibus: This large park features beautiful green spaces, walking paths, and a lake where visitors can go boating or fishing.
- Parc des Loges: Located near the city center, this park offers various sports facilities such as tennis courts, basketball courts, and a skatepark. It is perfect for outdoor activities like picnicking or playing sports.
- Parc du Lac de Courcouronnes: Situated around a picturesque lake, this park provides opportunities for walking or jogging along its trails. It also has picnic areas and playgrounds for families to enjoy.
- Base de Loisirs de Draveil-Port aux Cerises: Although technically in the neighboring town of Draveil, this recreational area is easily accessible from Évry. It features a large lake where visitors can swim or rent paddleboats and kayaks. There are also cycling paths, mini-golf courses, and a treetop adventure park.
- Forest of Sénart (Forêt de Sénart): A vast forested area located near Évry that offers numerous hiking trails amidst nature’s beauty.
- L’Arboretum d’Hiver: A small arboretum with various tree species where visitors can take leisurely walks while enjoying the tranquility of nature.