Geographic Coordinates: 4.305000, -74.801700
Temperature Range: 20.0°C to 35.0°C (68°F to 95°F)
Girardot is a charming city located in the Cundinamarca department of Colombia, Just two hours away from Bogota. Known as the City of Sun and Water, Girardot offers an ideal combination of warm weather, Beautiful landscapes, And cultural attractions. One of the main attractions in Girardot is its natural surroundings. The city is located in the valley of the Magdalena River, Surrounded by mountains and hills that provide breathtaking views. Visitors can enjoy hiking trails or explore nearby waterfalls such as La Cascada del Amor or La Chorrera.
Another popular attraction is El Peñón de la Sal, A massive rock formation that rises 80 meters above sea level. Visitors can climb up to the top for stunning panoramic views of the surrounding area. For those interested in history and culture, Girardot has several museums worth visiting. The Museo del Ferrocarril de la Sabana showcases the history of rail transportation in Colombia while offering visitors a chance to ride on antique trains through scenic routes. Girardot also boasts several religious landmarks such as Nuestra Señora del Carmen Church which dates back to 1905 and features beautiful stained-glass windows.
Foodies will love exploring Girardot’s culinary scene which includes traditional Colombian dishes such as arepas (corn cakes), Tamales (steamed corn dough filled with meat), Empanadas (fried pastry filled with meat or cheese) and chicharrones (fried pork belly). one cannot talk about Girardot without mentioning its vibrant nightlife scene. The city comes alive at night with numerous bars and clubs offering live music ranging from salsa to reggaeton. whether you’re looking for outdoor adventure, Cultural experiences or just a relaxing getaway under sunny skies – Girardot has something for everyone!
- Piscilago Water Park – A popular water park with various water slides, pools, and other attractions.
- Peñón de Fusagasugá – A natural rock formation that offers stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
- San Francisco de Asís Church – A historic church built in the 19th century that features beautiful architecture and artwork.
- Balneario Los Arrayanes – A natural hot spring located just outside of Girardot that is known for its healing properties.
- Hacienda La Quinta – A historic estate that has been converted into a hotel and restaurant, offering visitors a glimpse into Colombia’s colonial past.
- Parque Central de Girardot – The main park in the city center, which features a variety of recreational activities such as cycling paths, playgrounds, and sports fields.
- Plaza de Mercado La Galería – An open-air market where visitors can find fresh produce, local crafts, and other goods at affordable prices.
- Museo Arqueológico del Alto Magdalena – A museum dedicated to showcasing the pre-Columbian history of the region through archaeological artifacts and exhibits.
- Agriculture (especially sugar cane)
- Manufacturing (textiles and food processing)
The city is known for its hot springs, which attract many visitors each year. Additionally, the surrounding region produces a variety of crops such as:
There are also several factories that produce textiles and clothing items. The city has a thriving commercial sector with many small businesses selling goods and services to locals and tourists alike.
- The Battle of Girardot occurred on April 10, 1860, during the Colombian civil war between the Conservative and Liberal parties. The Conservatives emerged victorious, allowing them to gain control of the government.
- General Rafael Uribe Uribe was a well-known military leader and politician in Colombia who fought in the civil war from 1899 to 1902. Unfortunately, he was assassinated in Bogotá in 1914.
- Construction on a railway line connecting Girardot to Bogotá began in 1915, which greatly improved transportation and commerce within the region.
- On January 25, 1999, an earthquake measuring a magnitude of 6.2 hit Girardot and its surrounding areas causing significant damage to buildings and infrastructure.
- Antonio Nariño played a crucial role as an independence leader for Colombia drafting their first constitution back in 1811.
- Jorge Eliecer Gaitán served as Minister of Education from1940-1943 before being assassinated while serving as a prominent Colombian politician based out of Bogota back in April of ’48
- Luis Carlos Galán ran for president multiple times before being assassinated by drug traffickers during his campaign rally in August ’89
- Gabriel García Márquez is known worldwide as one of Colombia’s most famous authors winning Nobel Prize for Literature; although not born or raised there himself much inspiration was drawn from its landscape & culture for many works including One Hundred Years Of Solitude (1967).
- Museo del Ferrocarril de Girardot – Railway Museum
- Monumento a la Cruz Roja – Red Cross Monument
- Parque La Estación – Station Park
- Iglesia de Nuestra Señora del Carmen – Our Lady of Carmen Church
- Hacienda El Paraíso – Historical Coffee Plantation
- Casa de la Cultura y el Patrimonio Histórico de Girardot (Cultural and Historical Heritage House)
- Parque Principal Simón Bolívar (Simon Bolivar Main Park)
- Mirador La Cima (The Summit Viewpoint)
- Catedral San Francisco de Asís (St Francis of Assisi Cathedral)
- Centro Cultural y Recreativo Los Fundadores (Founders Cultural and Recreational Center)
- Deportes Tolima: Although not based in Girardot, this professional football team represents the department of Tolima and has a large fan base throughout Colombia, including Girardot.
- Atlético Huila: Another professional football team not based in Girardot but with a significant following in the city is Atlético Huila from Neiva.
- Club Deportivo La Equidad Seguros: This football club was founded on November 22nd, 1982, and plays its home matches at Estadio Metropolitano de Techo located Bogota. It currently competes at the top level of Colombian football -Categoría Primera A- and has won several minor titles.
- Academia FC: This amateur football club was founded on January 7th, 2016 by a group of friends who wanted to play competitive soccer together despite being relatively new to Colombian soccer scene it already gained some recognition for its performance at Copa Aguila (a national cup competition).
- Club Deportivo Nueva Generación: This amateur basketball club was founded on March 31st, 2009 by Jorge Luis Mora as part of his effort to promote sports among young people from lower-income families living around El Bosque neighborhood (one of Giradots’ poorest areas). It currently participates regularly on local tournaments and occasionally travels to nearby cities for friendly matches against other clubs.
Overall sport plays a significant role in Girardot’s culture, with many more sports teams that were not mentioned here.
- Festival de la Candelaria: This festival is celebrated in February and is one of the most important cultural events in Girardot. It includes traditional dances, music, and food.
- Fiestas del Sol y del Acero: This festival celebrates the sun and steel industry in Girardot. It includes parades, concerts, and cultural activities.
- Feria Nacional de la Panela: This fair celebrates the production of panela (unrefined cane sugar) which is an important product for the region’s economy. It includes tastings, contests, and exhibitions.
- Festival Internacional de Música de Girardot: This music festival brings together local and international musicians to perform a variety of genres including salsa, reggaeton, rock, and jazz.
- Semana Santa: Holy Week is an important religious event in Colombia and Girardot hosts several processions throughout the week leading up to Easter Sunday.
- Festival Folclórico y Reinado Nacional del Bambuco: Although this festival takes place in nearby Neiva city (in Huila department), it has a strong presence in Girardot as many locals participate or attend the event which showcases traditional Colombian folk music and dance performances as well as beauty pageants.
- Feria Ganadera y Agroindustrial de Girardot: This agricultural fair showcases livestock exhibitions as well as local products such as fruits, vegetables, coffee beans among others from around Cundinamarca region where Girardot belongs to.
- Ajiaco – a soup made with chicken, potatoes, corn, and other vegetables.
- Bandeja paisa – a traditional dish consisting of beans, rice, avocado, plantain chips, chorizo sausage and more.
- Empanadas – fried or baked pastries filled with meat or cheese.
- Arepas – grilled or fried corn cakes filled with cheese or meat.
- Lechona Tolimense – roasted pork stuffed with rice and peas.
Some popular restaurants in Girardot include:
- Restaurante Punto y Coma
- La Brasa Roja
- La Cabaña de la Abuela
- El Corral de las Chivas
- La Parrilla de la 22
- Parque de la Villa Olímpica: A large park with sports facilities, including soccer fields, basketball courts, and a swimming pool.
- Parque Central: A popular park in the center of Girardot with playgrounds, fountains, and green spaces for picnics.
- Balneario Peñón del Águila: An outdoor recreation area with swimming pools, water slides, and picnic areas.
- Piscilago: A theme park featuring water rides, animal exhibits, and other attractions.
- Laguna de Tota: A scenic lake surrounded by mountains that offers fishing and boating opportunities.
- Hacienda El Paraíso: A historic estate that features gardens and walking trails.
- Catedral Nuestra Señora del Rosario: The main cathedral in Girardot that is open to visitors for tours or worship services.
- El Peñón de Guatapé: An iconic rock formation located about 30 minutes from Girardot that offers hiking trails and stunning views of the surrounding landscape.