Region: São Paulo
Geographic Coordinates: -22.816700, -45.227800
Temperature Range: 18.0°C to 30.0°C (64°F to 86°F)
Guaratinguetá is a city located in the state of São Paulo, Brazil, Known for its rich history, Culture, And natural beauty. The city has a population of approximately 120, 000 people and covers an area of 752 square kilometers. One of Guaratinguetá’s most significant historical landmarks is the Basilica of Our Lady Aparecida. This church is considered one of the largest Catholic shrines globally and attracts millions of visitors annually. The basilica was built to honor Our Lady Aparecida, Who is considered Brazil’s patron saint. It features stunning architecture with intricate details and beautiful stained glass windows.
Another popular attraction in Guaratinguetá is the Ecological Park Anthero dos Santos. The park covers an area of over 50 hectares and offers visitors a chance to explore nature while hiking or biking through its trails. There are also several lakes within the park where visitors can go fishing or enjoy water sports like kayaking or paddleboarding. For those interested in history, Guaratinguetá has several museums worth visiting. The Municipal Museum houses artifacts from the city’s past, Including photographs, Documents, And objects related to local traditions such as Carnival celebrations.
Another museum worth checking out is Casa de Frei Galvão Museum which celebrates Frei Galvão’s life – he was born in Guaratinguetá – who was canonized by Pope Benedict XVI on May 11th 2007. In addition to its cultural attractions, Guaratinguetá also boasts a thriving culinary scene with many restaurants serving traditional Brazilian dishes such as feijoada (a stew made with black beans) or churrasco (Brazilian barbecue). Visitors should also try local sweets like pé-de-moleque (made from peanuts) or brigadeiro (a chocolate truffle).
yet importantly there are some other events that take place throughout the year in Guaratinguetá that are worth mentioning. The city hosts a popular street carnival every year, Attracting people from all over Brazil. The event features colorful parades with dancers and musicians performing traditional samba music. There is also the Festa do Divino Espírito Santo, Which takes place in May or June and celebrates the Holy Spirit with processions, Dances, And food. Overall, Guaratinguetá offers visitors a unique blend of history, Culture, Nature, And cuisine making it an excellent destination for those looking to experience the best of Brazil.
- Basilica of Nossa Senhora Aparecida
- Frei Galvão Sanctuary
- Guaratinguetá Municipal Museum
- Ecological Park Anthero dos Santos
- Saint Anthony’s Church
- Igreja Matriz de São Pedro e São Paulo
- Estação Ferroviária de Guaratinguetá
- Casa de Frei Galvão (House of Friar Galvão)
- Mirante do Cruzeiro (Cruzeiro Viewpoint)
- Serra da Mantiqueira (Mantiqueira Mountain Range)
- Aerospace and defense industry: The city is home to the Brazilian Air Force’s Aerospace Technical Center (CTA) and Embraer, a multinational aerospace company.
- Agriculture: Guaratinguetá is known for its production of coffee, sugar cane, and livestock farming.
- Automotive industry: The city has several automobile parts manufacturers.
- Education: Guaratinguetá has many educational institutions, including the Federal University of São Paulo (UNIFESP) and the Catholic University of Brasília (UCB).
- Health care: The city has several hospitals and health clinics.
- Tourism: Guaratinguetá is a popular tourist destination due to its historical sites such as the Basilica of Our Lady of Aparecida and the National Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes.
- Technology industry: There are several technology companies operating in Guaratinguetá such as IBM, Accenture, Wipro Technologies among others that provide IT services to clients globally.
- Retail trade sector – with shopping centers like Buriti Shopping Center located in the downtown area offering a wide range of products to consumers from different segments.
- Guaratinguetá is recognized as the birthplace of Saint Anthony of Padua, a highly esteemed saint in the Catholic Church.
- During the 18th century, Guaratinguetá was a significant gold-mining hub that played a crucial role in Brazil’s colonial history.
- In Brazil, Guaratinguetá was also an essential center for the abolitionist movement, with influential figures such as Father José de Anchieta and Joaquim Nabuco advocating for the end of slavery.
- The Basilica de Nossa Senhora Aparecida construction began in 1955 and has since become one of Brazil’s most visited religious sites.
- Notable individuals linked to Guaratinguetá include former Brazilian President Juscelino Kubitschek, musician Roberto Carlos, and footballer Neymar Jr., who grew up in Guarujá despite being born nearby in Mogi das Cruzes.
- Museu Frei Galvão is a museum that focuses on the life and work of Friar Galvão, a prominent figure in Guaratinguetá’s history.
- The Santuário Nacional de Nossa Senhora Aparecida is one of the largest Catholic shrines globally, dedicated to Our Lady of Aparecida.
- Casa de Cultura de Guaratinguetá serves as an art center that features exhibitions, workshops, and cultural events throughout the year.
- Monumento ao Cristo Redentor is a statue of Christ situated atop a hill overlooking the city.
- Parque Ecológico Anthero dos Santos offers hiking trails, picnic areas and scenic views of surrounding mountains.
- Centro Cultural Esther Pires Novaes provides music concerts, theater performances and art exhibits for visitors to enjoy.
- Museu Histórico e Pedagógico Conselheiro Rodrigues Alves showcases Guaratinguetá’s history and culture alongside its famous residents’.
- Praça da Estação Ferroviária was once an old train station but has now been transformed into a public square with shops, cafes and live music on weekends.
- Cachoeira do Roncador is located just outside Guaratinguetá; it’s a waterfall popular for swimming and picnicking on weekends.
- Igreja Matriz de São Benedito e Santa Efigênia dates back to 1728 when it was built by slaves as part of their devotion to Saint Benedict (São Benedito), who was considered their patron saint.
- Guaratinguetá Futebol Ltda – Founded in 1946, Guaratinguetá Futebol Ltda is a professional football club that plays in the Campeonato Paulista Série A3, which is the third tier of São Paulo state football. The team’s home ground is Estádio Dario Rodrigues Leite.
- Esporte Clube Taubaté – Although not based in Guaratinguetá, Esporte Clube Taubaté is a nearby team that has played against Guaratinguetá Futebol Ltda on numerous occasions. Founded in 1914, Taubaté has won several regional and state championships throughout its history.
- Clube Atlético Juventus – Another nearby team that has played against Guaratinguetá Futebol Ltda, Clube Atlético Juventus was founded in 1924 and plays its home matches at Estádio Conde Rodolfo Crespi in São Paulo city.
- Associação Desportiva Classista Embraer – This sports club was founded by employees of Embraer, an aircraft manufacturer based in São José dos Campos near Guaratinguetá. The club fields teams for various sports including football, futsal, volleyball and basketball.
- Grêmio Recreativo Cultural e Social da Vila Rica – Founded as a social club for residents of Vila Rica neighbourhood back in 1969; this organization also fields amateur football teams participating locally.
- Festa de São Benedito is a popular festival in Guaratinguetá, honoring Saint Benedict who is the city’s patron saint. The event takes place in April and includes processions, music, dance performances, food stalls, and religious ceremonies.
- The Festival de Inverno is held in July and features cultural events such as concerts, theater performances, art exhibitions, film screenings and workshops.
- Festa do Divino Espírito Santo takes place every May or June to honor the Holy Spirit with a parade of decorated ox carts that carry offerings to local churches.
- Encontro Nacional de Motociclistas is an annual national motorcycle gathering held around August or September where riders from across Brazil gather for a weekend of shows featuring live music acts.
- Semana da Cultura Popular is celebrated annually in November through various activities like dance performances as well as musical presentations by local artists showcasing traditional Brazilian culture.
- Carnaval de Guaratinguetá takes place throughout February with vibrant parades featuring samba schools from all over Brazil showcasing their costumes and dance routines.
- Feira Livre is a weekly open-air market that offers fresh produce from local farmers along with handmade crafts made by artisans within the community every Sunday morning at Praça Conselheiro Rodrigues Alves square.
- Parque Ecológico Anthero dos Santos
- Parque da Cidade
- Praça Conselheiro Rodrigues Alves
- Praça Nossa Senhora Aparecida
- Praça São Benedito
- Guaratinguetá Skate Park
- Quadra de Esportes do Centro Comunitário do Pedregulho
- Pista de Bicicross Dráusio Barreto
- Academia ao Ar Livre da Vila Paraíba
- Ginásio Municipal de Esportes José Augusto Vasconcelos (Zeca)