Geographic Coordinates: 47.684200, 17.634400
Temperature Range: -30.0°C to 40.0°C (-22°F to 104°F)
Győr, Located in northwestern Hungary, Is a city that boasts a rich history and culture. It is situated at the confluence of three rivers – the Danube, Rába and Rábca. Győr has been inhabited since ancient times and its strategic location made it an important center of trade and commerce throughout history. The city’s old town is a beautiful mix of Baroque, Renaissance and Gothic architecture. The most impressive building in Győr is the Basilica of St. Mary of the Assumption.
This stunning cathedral was built over several centuries between 1629-1869 and features an ornate interior with frescoes, Stained glass windows, Sculptures, And altars. Another must-see attraction in Győr is the Bishop’s Castle which dates back to medieval times. The castle was once home to bishops but now serves as a museum showcasing local history including artifacts from Roman times to WWII. The Széchenyi Square located in the heart of Győr’s old town has numerous cafes & restaurants that offer traditional Hungarian cuisine along with international dishes making it one of the best places for tourists to relax after sightseeing.
Győr also boasts several parks including Dunakapu Square Park which offers stunning views of the riverbanks along with walking trails surrounded by lush greenery making it an ideal spot for nature lovers. For those who are interested in cultural events, Győr hosts many festivals throughout the year such as Győri Tavasz (Spring Festival), Gyori Sörfesztivál (Beer Festival) or Medieval Days where visitors can experience authentic medieval life through various activities like archery or sword fighting demonstrations. if you are looking for some adventure then you should visit Pannonhalma Archabbey which lies just outside Györ.
This UNESCO World Heritage Site offers breathtaking views from its hilltop location along with hiking trails and wine tasting tours. Overall, Győr is a charming city that offers something for everyone. Its rich history, Stunning architecture, Natural beauty, Cultural events and delicious cuisine make it a must-visit destination in Hungary.
- Győr Cathedral – A beautiful baroque-style cathedral built in the 17th century.
- Széchenyi Square – The main square of Győr, surrounded by historic buildings and museums.
- Rába Quelle Thermal Spa – A popular spa complex with indoor and outdoor pools, saunas, and wellness treatments.
- Bishop’s Castle – A medieval castle located on a hilltop overlooking the city.
- National Theatre of Győr – An impressive theater building with a rich history dating back to the 19th century.
- Zichy Palace – A stunning baroque palace that now serves as a cultural center and museum.
- ETO Park Stadium – The home stadium of the local football team, offering tours for visitors to see behind-the-scenes areas.
- Janos Xantus Museum – An art museum featuring works by Hungarian artists from various eras.
- Carmelite Church and Monastery – An impressive religious complex with beautiful architecture and ornate interior decorations.
- Dunakapu Square – Another historic square in Győr that is surrounded by shops, restaurants, and cafes for tourists to enjoy while taking in the sights of the city’s past architecture.
- Automotive industry: Győr is known as the Automotive City of Hungary due to its strong presence in the automotive industry. Audi has a large production plant in Győr, and other automotive companies such as Suzuki and Mercedes-Benz also have operations there.
- Manufacturing: Besides the automotive industry, manufacturing is another significant sector of the economy in Győr. The city has a diverse range of manufacturing industries that produce goods like machinery, textiles, chemicals, and food products.
- IT sector: The IT sector is growing rapidly in Győr due to its highly skilled workforce and favorable business environment.
- Logistics: Due to its strategic location near major transportation routes such as highways and railways, many logistics companies have set up operations in Győr.
- Retail: As a regional center for commerce and trade, retail plays an important role in the local economy of Győr with numerous shopping centers and stores located throughout the city.
- Tourism: With several historical landmarks like Baroque buildings dating back to medieval times along with modern attractions like thermal baths; tourism is also an essential part of the local economy here providing employment opportunities for locals involved directly or indirectly with various service sectors catering tourists visiting this beautiful city every year from all over Europe!
- Roman Empire: The city was founded by the Romans in the 1st century AD as a military camp called Arrabona.
- Hungarian Kingdom: During the Middle Ages, Győr became an important trading center and was ruled by various Hungarian kings.
- Ottoman Empire: In the 16th and 17th centuries, Győr was occupied by the Ottoman Empire and became part of their empire for almost 150 years.
- Maria Theresa: The Habsburg Empress Maria Theresa visited Győr several times during her reign in the 18th century and helped to rebuild many of its buildings after a devastating fire.
- Hungarian Revolution of 1848: Győr played a significant role in this revolution against Austrian rule, with many battles taking place in and around the city.
- Franz Liszt: The famous composer Franz Liszt lived in Győr for several years during his childhood, where he received his first music lessons from his father.
- Ernő Rubik: The inventor of Rubik’s Cube, Ernő Rubik was born in Budapest but spent much of his childhood in nearby Székesfehérvár before moving to Győr to study architecture at university.
- Pálffy Palace: This beautiful Baroque palace located on Széchenyi Square served as a residence for various noble families throughout its history and is now home to several museums and galleries showcasing local art and history.
- Audi Hungaria Motor Kft.: One of Hungary’s largest employers, Audi has had a major presence in Győr since opening its factory there in 1993 producing engines for Volkswagen Group cars.
Overall, these events/people have contributed significantly to shaping both the cultural identity of Gyor itself as well as Hungary more broadly over time through their respective contributions.
- Győr National Theatre
- Rába Quelle Thermal Spa and Wellness Centre
- Győr Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- Bishop’s Castle (Püspökvár)
- Carmelite Church and Monastery (Karmelita templom és kolostor)
- Széchenyi Square (Széchenyi tér)
- Janos Xantus Museum
- City Hall (Városháza)
- Zichy Palace (Zichy-palota)
- Hungarian Museum of Mechanical Engineering and Transport
- Győri ETO FC is a football club that was established in 1904 and has enjoyed great success in Hungarian football. They have won the Hungarian league title on ten occasions and have also claimed the Hungarian Cup six times.
- Audi ETO KC is a women’s handball club that has become one of the most accomplished teams in Europe. They have won the Women’s EHF Champions League three times (in 2013, 2014, and 2018) and have been runners-up twice.
- Rába ETO KC is a men’s handball club that was founded in 1957 and has achieved some success in Hungarian handball, winning the league title twice (in 1979 and 1990).
- Győr Sharks is an American football team that was established in 2005 and competes in Hungary’s top American football league, the Hungarian Football League.
- Győri Audi Eto Volleyball Team is one of Hungary’s most successful volleyball clubs with multiple domestic titles to their name including six National Championship titles between years from 2006 to 2016, four National Cup wins from years 2008 to 2011).
- Győr Summer Festival is a month-long cultural event that showcases concerts, theater performances, and exhibitions.
- The biennial Győr International Puppet Festival features puppetry from around the world.
- The annual Győr Wine and Jazz Festival celebrates Hungarian wine and jazz music.
- During the holiday season, a festive Christmas Market is held in the city center with food, drinks, and crafts.
- Saint Martin’s Day Celebration is a traditional Hungarian festival held on November 11th to celebrate the end of harvest season with wine tasting and feasting.
- The Danube Carnival is an annual celebration of music, dance, and culture along the banks of the Danube River in Győr.
- As part of Veszprém-Balaton region which has been selected as European Capital of Culture for 2023 there will be various cultural events happening throughout this year in different cities including Győr as well.
- Goulash soup – a traditional Hungarian soup made with beef, vegetables, and paprika.
- Lángos – a deep-fried dough topped with sour cream and cheese.
- Halászlé – a spicy fish soup made with various types of freshwater fish.
- Paprikás Csirke – chicken cooked in a creamy paprika sauce served with dumplings or pasta.
- Dobos Cake – a layered sponge cake filled with chocolate buttercream and topped with caramelized sugar.
Some popular restaurants in Győr, Hungary are:
- Kiskakukk Étterem és Borbár – serves traditional Hungarian dishes like goulash soup and paprikás csirke
- Ritz Café & Restaurant – offers international cuisine as well as Hungarian specialties
- Bécsi Kapu Étterem – serves classic Austrian dishes like schnitzel and strudel
- Vén Hajnal Étterem – specializes in seafood dishes like halászlé (fish soup) and grilled fish
- Belga Sorozo és Brasserie – offers Belgian beer and cuisine such as mussels and fries
- Raab Park
- Rába Quelle Thermal Bath and Spa
- Bishop’s Castle and Gardens
- Baross Gábor Park
- Egyetemi Sporttelep (University Sports Center)
- Dunakapu tér (Danube Gate Square)
- Gyor Zoo
- Old Lake Recreation Area
- Raktár Island Beach and Waterpark
- Győr Adventure Park