Geographic Coordinates: 40.852300, 122.747000
Temperature Range: -40.0°C to 40.0°C (-40°F to 104°F)
Climate: Cold and dry winters, hot and humid summers with heavy rainfall.
Haicheng, Located in the Liaoning Province of China, Is renowned for its rich cultural heritage and breathtaking natural scenery. The city spans an area of approximately 2, 500 square kilometers and has a population exceeding one million people. Haicheng’s history dates back to the Han Dynasty when it was a prominent center for trade due to its strategic coastal location. Over time, Haicheng became famous for its production of silk and porcelain. Despite modernization efforts over recent years, Haicheng has managed to retain much of its historic charm while offering all the amenities expected from a major urban center.
The downtown area is bustling with activity featuring numerous shopping centers, Restaurants, And entertainment venues. One of Haicheng’s most popular attractions is the Tianhou Palace (Temple of Heavenly Queen), An ancient temple built during the Ming Dynasty dedicated to Mazu – goddess of seafarers. Visitors can explore this magnificent structure adorned with intricate carvings and sculptures depicting scenes from Chinese mythology. Mount Qianshan National Park is another must-see attraction in Haicheng boasting stunning mountain peaks rising over 1, 000 meters above sea level.
Visitors can hike through lush forests filled with rare plants and wildlife or take a cable car ride up to observation decks offering panoramic views. Haicheng hosts several festivals throughout the year that showcase local culture and traditions such as Duanwu Festival celebrated in June featuring colorful dragon boat races alongside traditional music and delicious food. whether interested in history or nature or culture – Haicheng offers something for everyone. With its rich heritage coupled with modern amenities – this vibrant metropolis truly stands out as a gem within Liaoning Province.
- Haicheng is a city in Liaoning Province, China.
- Popular landmarks and tourist attractions in Haicheng include:
- Haizhou Bay Scenic Area – offers stunning coastal views and features beaches, parks, and scenic spots.
- Xiyangshan National Forest Park – a large forest park with hiking trails, camping areas, and scenic views of the surrounding landscape.
- Haicheng Museum – showcases the history and culture of Haicheng.
- Shihua Cave – a natural limestone cave with breathtaking rock formations.
- Dahuofang Reservoir – a large reservoir surrounded by mountains and forests that provides boating and fishing opportunities.
- Longquan Temple – an ancient Buddhist temple known for its beautiful architecture and tranquil surroundings.
- Guanhai Temple Pagoda – offers panoramic views of the city from its Tang Dynasty-era structure.
- Zhonghua Gate Tower – an ancient attraction that was once part of the city’s defensive walls during the Ming Dynasty.
- Lianhua Mountain Scenic Area – a mountainous area with hiking trails, waterfalls, and scenic views of the surrounding countryside.
- Wuyi Square – serves as Haicheng’s central square where locals gather to relax or attend events such as festivals or concerts.
- Note: This list isn’t exhaustive as there may be other landmarks or attractions worth visiting in Haicheng depending on one’s interests/preferences.
- Mining: Haicheng is among the largest magnesite producers in China and also has significant deposits of talc, graphite, and other minerals.
- Metallurgy: The city boasts a well-established metallurgical industry that manufactures steel, iron alloys, and other metal products.
- Chemicals: Haicheng produces various chemicals such as caustic soda, PVC resin, and synthetic rubber.
- Agriculture: The city is famous for its agricultural produce like fruits (apples) and vegetables.
- Machinery manufacturing: With a growing machinery manufacturing industry that produces equipment for mining, metallurgy, and construction sectors.
- Textile manufacturing: Several textile mills in Haicheng manufacture fabrics for clothing manufacturers.
- Food processing: The food processing industry includes meat processing plants and seafood processing facilities in the city.
- Tourism: Haicheng’s natural scenic beauty including mountains & hot springs along with historical sites like the Ancient City Wall of Liaoning Province (Haizhou Ancient City Wall) makes tourism an important sector in the economy of the city.
- Haicheng Earthquake: On February 4, 1975, a devastating earthquake with a magnitude of 7.3 hit Haicheng and surrounding areas, killing over 2,000 people and causing extensive damage.
- Zhang Xueliang: A prominent warlord during the Republican era of China, Zhang Xueliang was born in Haicheng in 1901.
- Han Hong: A famous Chinese singer and songwriter, Han Hong was born in Haicheng in 1971.
- Liu Shaoqi: A prominent Communist leader during the Mao Zedong era of China, Liu Shaoqi spent several years living in exile in Haicheng during the early years of his political career.
- Wang Guangmei: The wife of former Chinese President Liu Shaoqi, Wang Guangmei was also exiled to Haicheng along with her husband during the Cultural Revolution.
- Guo Moruo: A famous Chinese writer and historian who served as Vice Chairman of the National People’s Congress from 1959 to 1966, Guo Moruo spent several years living in Haicheng during his youth.
- Li Dazhao: One of the founders of the Communist Party of China and a close associate of Mao Zedong, Li Dazhao lived for a time in nearby Anshan but frequently traveled to Haicheng for political activities.
- Du Yuesheng: A notorious underworld figure who controlled organized crime in Shanghai during much of the early twentieth century, Du Yuesheng was born near Haicheng and later moved to Shanghai where he became one of its most powerful figures.
- Wang Jinxi: Born on May 13th, 1923, Wang Jinxi is also known as Iron Man. He worked as an oil driller at Daqing Oilfield.
- Haicheng Museum: This museum showcases the history, culture, and natural resources of Haicheng.
- The Great Wall at Jinzhou Pass: One of the most famous sections of the Great Wall in China, this pass offers stunning views and a glimpse into China’s ancient history.
- Shuifang Reservoir: This scenic area is perfect for hiking, picnicking, and enjoying nature.
- Jinniushan National Forest Park: Known for its beautiful scenery and rich biodiversity, this park is a great place to explore nature.
- Haicheng Confucian Temple: A historic temple dedicated to Confucius, this site offers insight into traditional Chinese culture and philosophy.
- Dalian Discovery Kingdom: A popular theme park featuring roller coasters, water rides, and animal exhibits.
- Haizhou Bay Wetland Park: A protected wetland area home to many species of birds and other wildlife.
- Liaoyang Ancient City Wall: An impressive wall that once surrounded Liaoyang city during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644).
- Longshan Mountain National Forest Park: Another beautiful park with hiking trails, waterfalls, and scenic vistas.
- Tanghe River Scenic Area: A picturesque river valley with clear waters and lush vegetation that is perfect for fishing or simply relaxing by the water’s edge.
- Liaoning Flying Leopards – a professional basketball team that competes in the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) league. The team was established in 1995 and has claimed three CBA championships.
- Dalian Professional FC – a professional football (soccer) club that participates in the Chinese Super League. The team was founded in 2009 and has undergone name changes over time.
- Liaoning Hongyun FC – another football club that previously competed in the Chinese Super League but was relegated to China League One due to poor performance.
- Liaoning Whowin FC – a former football club that played within the Chinese Super League from 1994 until its dissolution in 2018.
Note: Please keep in mind that these teams may not be exclusively based within Haicheng city limits but instead represent larger regions or provinces of which Haicheng is a part of.
- Haicheng Peach Blossom Festival is held every year in April to celebrate the blooming of peach trees.
- Haicheng International Kite Festival takes place in May and attracts kite enthusiasts from all over the world who showcase their unique and colorful kites.
- Haicheng Lantern Festival is held during the Mid-Autumn Festival in September and features lantern displays and traditional performances.
- Haicheng Dragon Boat Festival is celebrated on the fifth day of the fifth lunar month, usually in June, with dragon boat races and other cultural activities.
- China Shenyang International Tourism Expo (Haicheng Stop) is an annual event that showcases tourism products from different regions of China, including Haicheng.
- Qingyuan Mountain Cherry Blossom Festival celebrates the blooming of cherry blossom trees near Haicheng from March to April.
- Golden Beach Music Festival is a summer music festival featuring popular Chinese musicians and bands at Golden Beach Park in nearby Yingkou City.
- Haicheng Fried Dumplings – a local specialty made with a crispy outer layer and juicy filling.
- Shui Jiao Zi – boiled dumplings filled with pork or vegetables.
- Seafood dishes – Haicheng is located near the sea, so seafood dishes are popular, such as steamed crabs and fried squid.
- Roast Duck – a classic Chinese dish that can be found at many restaurants in Haicheng.
- Lao Cheng Yi Guan – a famous restaurant in Haicheng that serves traditional Chinese cuisine, including seafood dishes and hotpot.
- Yu Hua Restaurant – another popular restaurant in Haicheng known for its delicious seafood dishes.
- San He Yuan Dumpling House – a small dumpling shop that serves some of the best fried dumplings in town.
- Jin Xiang Yuan Restaurant- specializes in Northern Chinese cuisine, including noodles, dumplings, and stir-fry dishes.
- Ming Ren Seafood Restaurant- offers fresh seafood cooked to order with various sauces and spices to choose from.
- Dong Fang Hong Restaurant- known for its authentic Szechuan-style spicy food like hot pot and mapo tofu which is loved by locals as well as tourists visiting the city.
- Haicheng Park is a large public park that features walking paths, gardens, and playgrounds for visitors to enjoy.
- The Haicheng Sports Center provides facilities for basketball, tennis, swimming and other sports enthusiasts.
- The Shangjing Mountain Scenic Area is a nature reserve that boasts hiking trails and scenic views of the surrounding area.
- Qianshan National Forest Park is a national park that offers camping sites, hiking trails and breathtaking scenery.
- Xihu Wetland Park serves as a wetland reserve where bird watching opportunities abound along with walking paths for visitors to explore.
- Zhongshan Square is a public square featuring fountains, gardens and sculptures providing an ideal spot for relaxation or picnics with family or friends.
- Jiuqu River Scenic Area offers river rafting adventures along with stunning views of the surrounding mountains making it an exciting destination to visit.