High Point, North Carolina
Geographic Coordinates: 35.991000, -79.993700
Temperature Range: -10.0°C to 35.0°C (14°F to 95°F)
Climate: Seasonal climate and weather patterns in High Point, US?
High Point is a city located in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, United States. It is known as the Furniture Capital of the World due to its long-standing history in furniture manufacturing and design. High Point has a population of over 110, 000 people and covers an area of approximately 56 square miles. The city was founded in 1859 and named after its location at the highest point on the North Carolina Railroad between Charlotte and Goldsboro. Its strategic location made it an important transportation hub for goods traveling to and from other parts of the state.
In 1889, High Point hosted its first Furniture Market, Which quickly became one of the largest trade shows in the world. Today, High Point remains a major center for furniture manufacturing and design. The city is home to over 50 furniture showrooms that attract buyers from all over the world during biannual Furniture Markets held in April and October each year. These markets bring together manufacturers, Retailers, Designers, Architects, And other industry professionals to showcase new products and trends. In addition to its thriving furniture industry, High Point offers many other attractions for visitors.
The city has several parks that provide opportunities for outdoor recreation such as hiking trails, Picnic areas, Playgrounds, Sports fields/courts/arenas etc., Including Oak Hollow Lake Park which features a marina with boat rentals. High Point also boasts numerous cultural institutions such as museums like Museum & Archives at Old Salem Museums & Gardens or Reynolda House Museum Of American Art; galleries like Green Hill Center For NC Art; theaters like The Community Theatre Of Greensboro or Triad Stage etc.; music venues like Blind Tiger or Cat’s Cradle etc., Making it an ideal destination for art lovers.
For those interested in history or architecture there are several sites worth visiting including Historic Bethabara Park which preserves early Moravian settlement; Castle McCulloch where Scottish heritage is celebrated; and the High Point Museum & Historical Park which offers exhibits on local history, Including furniture manufacturing. High Point is a unique city that has made a name for itself as the Furniture Capital of the World. Its rich history in furniture manufacturing and design combined with its many cultural attractions make it an ideal destination for anyone interested in art, Architecture, History or outdoor recreation.
With so much to see and do here, It’s no wonder that High Point continues to be a popular destination for visitors from all over the world.
- World’s Largest Chest of Drawers – A 36-foot tall dresser-shaped building that is a popular photo spot for tourists.
- High Point Museum – This museum showcases the history and culture of High Point through exhibits and artifacts.
- Furnitureland South – One of the largest furniture stores in the world with over 1 million square feet of showroom space.
- Piedmont Environmental Center – A nature preserve with hiking trails, educational exhibits, and wildlife viewing opportunities.
- Oak Hollow Lake – A scenic lake with boating, fishing, and recreational activities available.
- All-A-Flutter Butterfly Farm – A butterfly farm where visitors can learn about butterfly life cycles and see hundreds of butterflies up close.
- Castle McCulloch – An event venue housed in a castle-like building that was originally built as a gold refinery in the 1800s.
- Kersey Valley Attractions – An adventure park offering zip-lining, laser tag, escape rooms, and more.
- Triad Park – A large park with playgrounds, sports fields/courts/tracks/complexes & picnic areas surrounded by natural beauty.
- High Point City Lake Park – Another beautiful place to enjoy nature around this area.
- The major industries and businesses in High Point, United States are:
- Furniture manufacturing
- Healthcare services
- Education services
- Retail trade
- Hospitality industry
- High Point University
- Thomas Built Buses Inc.
- Advanced Home Care Inc.
- Ralph Lauren Corporation
- XPO Logistics Inc.
- Cone Health
- Furniture industry: High Point is known as the Furniture Capital of the World due to its large furniture manufacturing industry. The first furniture factory in High Point was established in 1889, and today it is home to over 40 furniture showrooms.
- Civil Rights Movement: In the 1960s, High Point played a role in the Civil Rights Movement. The city was one of the first in North Carolina to integrate its schools peacefully.
- John Coltrane: Jazz saxophonist John Coltrane was born and raised in High Point. He began playing music at an early age and went on to become one of the most influential musicians of all time.
- Hanesbrands Inc.: One of America’s largest clothing manufacturers, Hanesbrands Inc., has its headquarters in Winston-Salem, which is near High Point.
- Ralph Lauren: Fashion designer Ralph Lauren attended high school in nearby Greensboro before starting his fashion empire.
- Piedmont Triad International Airport: Located just outside of High Point, Piedmont Triad International Airport serves over a million passengers each year and is a hub for American Airlines.
- Furniture Market: Twice a year, thousands of buyers from around the world come to High Point for its famous Furniture Market event where they can see new products from hundreds of manufacturers all under one roof.
- Martin Luther King Jr.: Dr Martin Luther King Jr visited Bennett College during his campaign for civil rights on May 30th ,1958.
- High Point Museum
- Furnitureland South
- Piedmont Environmental Center
- Kersey Valley Attractions
- World’s Largest Chest of Drawers
- Mendenhall Plantation Historic Site
- Castle McCulloch
- Tanglewood Park
- Greensboro Science Center
- Reynolda House Museum of American Art
- High Point University Panthers: The High Point University Panthers are the official athletic teams of High Point University, offering 16 varsity sports such as basketball, soccer, lacrosse, and volleyball.
- High Point-Thomasville HiToms: The HiToms are a summer collegiate baseball team that plays in the Coastal Plain League. They were founded in 1939 and have won multiple league championships.
- Southwest Guilford Cowboys: The Southwest Guilford Cowboys are a high school football team that competes in the Piedmont Triad 3A Conference.
- T.W. Andrews Red Raiders: The T.W. Andrews Red Raiders are a high school football team that has won multiple state championships and produced several NFL players.
- Wesleyan Christian Academy Trojans: The Wesleyan Christian Academy Trojans are a high school basketball team that has won numerous state championships and produced several NBA players including Chris Paul and Montrezl Harrell.
- Ferndale Middle School Falcons: The Ferndale Middle School Falcons is a middle school basketball team that has won multiple conference championships.
- Oak Ridge Military Academy Cadets: Oak Ridge Military Academy is a private military boarding school with athletic teams in various sports like basketball, soccer, and wrestling.
- Penn-Griffin School for the Arts Gryphons – Penn-Griffin School for the Arts is an arts-focused public charter high school with athletic teams in various sports such as soccer, cross country etc.
- High Point Market is the world’s largest home furnishings trade show and takes place twice a year, in April and October.
- The North Carolina Shakespeare Festival is an annual event held in High Point featuring performances of Shakespeare’s plays by professional actors.
- The Multicultural Festival is a celebration of diversity and culture that includes music, dance, food, and crafts from around the world.
- The Barbecue Festival is a popular event that draws thousands of visitors to downtown High Point for barbecuing competitions and live music.
- The Christmas Parade is an annual parade held in downtown High Point with floats, marching bands, and Santa Claus.
- The Summer Concert Series offers free outdoor concerts featuring local musicians throughout the summer months at various locations around town.
- The International Festival celebrates cultural diversity with food vendors, live performances from different countries’ cultures such as African drumming or Chinese lion dancing along with children’s activities like face painting or henna tattoos as well as art exhibits showcasing works from around the globe.
- The Greek Food Festival is an annual event celebrating Greek culture through cuisine such as gyros or baklava along with traditional dances performed by members of local Greek communities.
- Music Festivals- There are several music festivals that take place throughout the year including Jazz Festivals like John Coltrane International Jazz & Blues festival which is celebrated annually in September.
- BBQ – Stamey’s Barbecue
- Southern comfort food – Blue Zucchini
- Seafood – Full Moon Oyster Bar & Seafood Kitchen
- Italian – Giannos Italian Restaurant
- Mexican – Mi Pueblo Mexican Grill
- Asian fusion – Dragonfly Japanese Steakhouse
- Burgers and sandwiches- Emma Key’s Flat Top Grill
- Pizza- Mario’s Pizza
- Craft beer and pub fare- Brown Truck Brewery & Taproom
- High Point City Lake Park offers a variety of outdoor activities including fishing, boating, hiking trails, picnic areas and playgrounds.
- Oak Hollow Park is a great destination for those looking to enjoy nature with its lake for fishing and boating, golf course, hiking trails, picnic areas and playgrounds.
- The High Point Greenway is an extensive system of paved and unpaved trails that are perfect for walking, jogging or biking.
- Festival Park hosts various events throughout the year such as concerts, festivals and farmers markets making it a great place to visit any time of the year.
- Johnson Street Global Studies Community Garden is a wonderful community garden that offers gardening classes and workshops to help people learn how to grow their own food.
- Armstrong Park has something for everyone with basketball courts, tennis courts, baseball fields and playgrounds available for use by visitors.
- Bicentennial Greenway Trailhead at Piedmont Environmental Center provides an opportunity to explore nature with its 4-mile trail perfect for running or walking as well as birdwatching opportunities along the way.
- Washington Terrace Park has plenty of amenities including basketball courts, playgrounds, picnic shelters, and a sprayground making it ideal for families looking to spend quality time together outdoors.
- Piedmont Environmental Center is an educational center focused on wildlife conservation offering informative programs on environmental issues in addition to recreational activities like hiking trails and birdwatching opportunities.
- High Point Country Club features golf courses, tennis courts, pool facilities among other recreational activities making it a great destination for those who love sports or just want some relaxation time away from the hustle bustle of city life.