Region: Košice is located in the region of Košice
Geographic Coordinates: 48.716700, 21.250000
Temperature Range: -40.0°C to 40.0°C (-40°F to 104°F)
Climate: Cold winters, warm summers, and moderate precipitation throughout the year.
Košice is a beautiful city situated in the eastern part of Slovakia, Known for its rich history dating back to medieval times. It’s the country’s second-largest city after Bratislava and offers a perfect destination for nature lovers with its picturesque hills and location on the banks of River Hornád. The Old Town is one of Košice’s most popular landmarks, Showcasing an impressive collection of Gothic and Baroque architecture. Visitors can take leisurely strolls through narrow streets lined with colorful buildings or stop by cafes and restaurants to enjoy local cuisine.
The main square, Hlavné námestie, Boasts several historical buildings like St. Elisabeth Cathedral – one of Slovakia’s largest churches – and the State Theater. Another must-visit attraction in Košice is its castle ruins located on top of a hill overlooking the city. Built during the 14th century, This fortress was once an important strategic point for defending against invaders from Hungary and Poland.
For those interested in Slovak culture and history, Several museums are worth exploring such as The East Slovak Museum that houses fascinating exhibits on regional history as well as art collections featuring works by renowned Slovak artists like Andy Warhol. Košice also has numerous parks like Kavečany Forest Park where visitors can hike or bike along scenic trails while enjoying stunning views over surrounding hillsides dotted with quaint villages nestled among greenery.
Košice has become known for its vibrant nightlife scene with numerous bars and clubs catering to every taste from trendy cocktail lounges to traditional pubs serving up local brews like Zlatý Bažant (Golden Pheasant) beer. Košice offers something for everyone whether you’re interested in exploring historical landmarks or simply relaxing amidst natural beauty. With its unique blend of old-world charm mixed with modern amenities, It has become one of Slovakia’s most popular tourist destinations.
- St. Elisabeth Cathedral
- Urban Tower
- East Slovak Museum
- State Theater Košice
- Mikluš Prison
- Singing fountain
- Executioner’s Bastion
- Botanical Garden of the P.J Šafárik University in Košice
- The Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary and St John the Baptist in Košice-Šaca
- Wax Museum Košice
Major Industries and Businesses in Košice, Slovakia
- Information Technology
- Ness Technologies
- U.S. Steel Košice (formerly known as VSŽ)
- Whirlpool Slovakia
- Johnson Controls
- KIA Motors Slovakia
- Continental Automotive Systems
- St. Elisabeth Cathedral – the largest church in Slovakia
- Many historical sites and attractions
- Technical University of Košice (TUKE)
- Pavol Jozef Šafárik University (UPJŠ)
- University of Veterinary Medicine and Pharmacy in Košice (UVMP)
- Louis Pasteur University Hospital
- Several other hospitals
- The first written mention of Košice dates back to 1230.
- In 1369, King Louis I of Hungary granted the city royal privileges and it became a free royal town.
- During the 15th century, Košice was one of the most important cities in Hungary and played a significant role in European trade and commerce.
- In 1657, a plague outbreak killed almost half of the city’s population.
- In 1919, Košice became part of Czechoslovakia after World War I.
- During World War II, Košice was occupied by Nazi Germany from March 1939 until January 1945.
- On April 18, 1945, the Slovak National Uprising began in Banská Bystrica with support from resistance fighters in Košice.
- Notable people associated with Košice include composer Eugen Suchoň; writer Ladislav Nádaši-Jégé; filmmaker Juraj Jakubisko; ice hockey player Žigmund Pálffy; and tennis player Dominika Cibulková.
- In December 2013, Kosice was named European Capital of Culture for year 2013 alongside Marseille-France.
- HC Košice is the most popular sports team in Košice, known for their ice hockey prowess. The team was founded in 1921 and has won eight Slovak Extraliga championships and two Champions Hockey League titles.
- FC VSS Košice is a football club that dates back to 1952, boasting an impressive history of success, including three Czechoslovak First League wins.
- ŠKP Inter Družstevník Košice is a basketball team founded in 1945 that has won multiple Slovakian championships.
- VKP Bystrina SPU Nitra (formerly VKP ŠKP Bratislava) is a volleyball club that moved to Kosice in 2018 from Bratislava and has won several national titles while also competing internationally.
- TJ Slávia UPJŠ Košice is a handball club established in 1949 with numerous national championship wins and European-level competition experience.
- TK ACES RC Košice is a rugby club that participates both domestically and internationally, including the Central European Rugby Cup.
- BK Lokomotíva Východná Strojárne Košice was a basketball team active from 1990-2000 before being dissolved due to financial issues.
- MŠK Tesla Stropkov was a football club playing at Lokomotíva Stadium until it dissolved after season end of 2019/2020 due to financial difficulties.
- TJ Judo Team Košiče was established on October 4th,1997 as a judo club with many successful athletes who compete both nationally and internationally.
- TJ Sokol KVP Košiče established in 1949 as gymnastics club with many successful athletes who compete both nationally and internationally.
- Košice Peace Marathon is an annual marathon that takes place in October and attracts runners from all over the world.
- Košice Christmas Market is a traditional Christmas market held in the city center during December, featuring local food, drinks, and handicrafts.
- Cassovia Folkfest is a folk festival celebrating traditional Slovakian culture with music, dance, and costumes.
- White Night Košice is an art festival that takes place at night with various installations and performances throughout the city.
- International Festival of Contemporary Dance is a showcase of contemporary dance from around the world held annually in June.
- Wine Festival of Košice Region is a celebration of regional wines and winemakers held in September each year.
- Pohoda Festival is one of Slovakia’s biggest music festivals featuring international acts across multiple stages over three days in July.
- Medieval Days at Spiš Castle are a reenactment event taking visitors back to medieval times with jousting tournaments, sword fighting displays, and more held annually in August near Košice at Spiš Castle.
- Bryndzové halušky – a traditional dish made with potato dumplings and sheep cheese. Recommended restaurant: Goral Restaurant.
- Kapustnica – a hearty soup made with sauerkraut, meat, and potatoes. Recommended restaurant: Paprika Korzár.
- Živánska – a type of sausage made from pork, beef, and spices. Recommended restaurant: Restauracia Zlaty Dukat.
- Kofola – a popular soft drink similar to Coca-Cola but with a unique taste. Recommended restaurant: Pivovar Hostinec.
- Slovak beer – try one of the many locally brewed beers such as Saris or Topvar. Recommended restaurants: Pivnica u Čerta or Tabačka Kulturfabrik
- Hlavná ulica (Main Street): This pedestrian zone is the heart of Košice and offers a variety of shops, cafes, and restaurants.
- Košice City Park: This large park features walking paths, playgrounds, a lake with paddle boats, and a zoo.
- East Slovak Museum: This museum showcases the history and culture of eastern Slovakia.
- St. Elizabeth’s Cathedral: This Gothic cathedral is one of the largest in Slovakia and features beautiful stained glass windows.
- Steel Arena: This multi-purpose arena hosts concerts, sporting events, and ice-skating during the winter months.
- Botanical Garden of P.J. Šafárik University: This garden features over 2,000 species of plants from around the world.
- Children’s Railway Park: Located in nearby Kysak, this park offers miniature train rides for children as well as hiking trails for adults.
- Tabačka Kulturfabrik: A former tobacco factory turned cultural center that hosts concerts, exhibitions and other events throughout the year.
- AquaCity Poprad: A water park located about an hour’s drive from Košice that features indoor and outdoor pools with thermal water from nearby hot springs.
- Slovak Paradise National Park: A natural reserve featuring hiking trails through canyons, mountains, lakes, rivers, caves, etc.