Region: British Columbia
Geographic Coordinates: 49.104400, -122.583000
Temperature Range: -10.0°C to 30.0°C (14°F to 86°F)
Climate: Cold winters, mild summers, and moderate precipitation throughout the year.
Langley is a city in British Columbia, Canada. It’s situated in the Fraser Valley and covers an area of about 308 square kilometers. The city has a population of over 117, 000 people and is known for its cultural heritage, Natural beauty, And economy. One of Langley’s main attractions is its historic downtown core. Visitors can stroll down Glover Road to see well-preserved heritage buildings from the early 1900s. They can explore unique shops, Cafes, And restaurants.
Langley offers plenty of outdoor activities throughout the year with over 300 parks and trails for hiking, Cycling or picnicking with family or friends. Popular spots include Campbell Valley Regional Park which features scenic trails through forests and meadows as well as Derby Reach Regional Park which offers stunning views of the Fraser River. Langley also has a thriving agricultural industry with many local farms offering fresh produce such as berries, Vegetables, Honey and more. Visitors can take part in farm tours or visit farmers’ markets held throughout the year to sample locally grown food.
The city hosts numerous festivals throughout the year including Arts Alive Festival which showcases local artists’ works in various mediums such as painting, Sculpture and photography. In terms of education opportunities within Langley itself there are several public schools available from elementary up until high school level education but it’s worth noting that nearby towns also offer additional options for higher education such as Kwantlen Polytechnic University located just outside Langley’s borders .
Overall Langley is a popular destination for both locals and tourists alike – whether you’re looking to explore historic sites or immerse yourself in nature this vibrant city has something to offer everyone!
- Fort Langley National Historic Site
- Campbell Valley Regional Park
- Krause Berry Farms & Estate Winery
- Langley Memorial Hospital Museum
- Canadian Museum of Flight
- Milner Village Garden Centre and Antique Mall
- Thunderbird Show Park
- Derby Reach Regional Park
- Township 7 Vineyards & Winery
- Langley City Farmers Market
- Agriculture: Langley is known for its fertile farmland and is home to many farms that grow a variety of crops such as berries, vegetables, and flowers.
- Manufacturing: The manufacturing industry in Langley includes companies that produce products such as aerospace components, industrial machinery, and electronics.
- Retail: There are several shopping centers in Langley that offer a range of retail options from big-box stores to specialty shops.
- Health care: The health care sector in Langley includes hospitals, clinics, and medical offices that provide services to residents of the city and surrounding areas.
- Tourism: With its natural beauty and proximity to Vancouver, Langley attracts many tourists who come to visit wineries, parks, museums, and other attractions.
- Technology: Several technology companies have set up operations in Langley due to its proximity to Vancouver’s tech hub.
- Construction: The construction industry is also significant in Langley with numerous housing developments being built each year.
- Transportation & Logistics: Langley has a well-established transportation network consisting of railways, highways, airports which makes it an ideal location for logistics business.
Langley, Canada has a rich history dating back to the 1800s. Here are some of the most notable historical events and people associated with Langley:
- The Hudson’s Bay Company established Fort Langley in 1827, which served as a trading post for furs and other goods.
- The Fraser Gold Rush of 1858 brought thousands of prospectors to the area, including many who passed through Fort Langley on their way upriver.
- In 1873, Langley Township was officially incorporated as a municipality.
- The BC Electric Railway opened its interurban line through Langley in 1910, connecting it to Vancouver and other nearby communities.
- During World War II, Canadian soldiers trained at Camp Aldergrove near Langley.
- Chief Kwantlen (Xa:Ytem) was a prominent Indigenous leader who played an important role in negotiations with the Hudson’s Bay Company during the early days of Fort Langley.
- James Douglas was the first governor of British Columbia and oversaw much of the early development of Fort Langley and other settlements in the region.
- David Eby is a current member of the British Columbia Legislative Assembly representing Vancouver Point Grey. He grew up in Walnut Grove, part of modern-day Langley Township.
- Brett Lawrie is a former Major League Baseball player who grew up in Brookswood (also part of modern-day Langley Township) before being drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays.
- Fort Langley National Historic Site: This is a great place to learn about the history of Langley and Canada as a whole. Visitors can tour the historic buildings, watch demonstrations of traditional trades, and explore the beautiful grounds.
- Canadian Museum of Flight: Aviation enthusiasts will love this museum which houses a collection of over 25 aircraft from different eras in aviation history.
- Langley Centennial Museum: This museum is dedicated to preserving the history and culture of Langley through exhibits, artifacts, and educational programs.
- Township 7 Vineyards & Winery: Wine lovers can enjoy tastings at this award-winning winery that produces some of BC’s finest wines.
- Campbell Valley Regional Park: Nature lovers can explore this beautiful park which features hiking trails, horseback riding trails, picnic areas, and wildlife viewing opportunities.
- Cascades Casino Resort: Those looking for entertainment can try their luck at this popular casino resort which features slot machines, table games, restaurants and live entertainment events.
- Krause Berry Farms & Estate Winery: This family-owned farm offers visitors an opportunity to pick fresh berries in season or enjoy wine tasting at their estate winery.
- The Fort Wine Co.: Another great winery located near Fort Langley that offers tastings tours with knowledgeable staff who provide insights about wine making process from grape to bottle.
- Milner Gardens & Woodland : A stunning garden with over 10 acres filled with exotic plants including rhododendrons , ferns , magnolias , lilies etc .
- Greater Vancouver Zoo : Home to more than 140 species including lions , tigers , bears etc .
- The Langley Blaze Baseball Club was founded in 1996 and has a history of winning championships and producing major league players such as Brett Lawrie, Scott Mathieson, and James Paxton.
- The Langley Thunder Lacrosse Club is a professional team that was established in 1994. They have won multiple championships including two Western Lacrosse Association championships and one Mann Cup championship.
- The Fraser Valley Bandits Basketball Club is a professional basketball team that was established in 2018. They play in the Canadian Elite Basketball League (CEBL) and were the first-ever champions of the league’s Summer Series tournament.
- Trinity Western University Spartans have several sports teams under their name including men’s volleyball who have won four national championships, while their women’s soccer team has won three national championships.
- The Langley Rams Football Club is a junior football team founded back in 1948 with six national championships under their belt along with producing several players who went on to play professionally like Andrew Harris of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.
- Aldergrove Kodiaks Hockey Club is based out of Aldergrove but plays home games at George Preston Recreation Centre since the 2019-20 season after leaving Aldergrove Community Arena due to its age & size limitations. They were established back on October 7th,2008 as an expansion franchise for Pacific Junior Hockey League. They have been very successful with multiple PJHL Championships & Cyclone Taylor Cup wins over years since their inception till now.
- Langley International Festival
- Fort Langley Cranberry Festival
- Arts Alive Festival
- Langley Community Day
- Canada Day Celebrations in McLeod Athletic Park
- Aldergrove Fair Days
- Cloverdale Rodeo and Country Fair (nearby)
- Langley Ukulele Ensemble’s Annual Christmas Concert
- Winter Ice Palace at George Preston Recreation Centre
- Langley Good Times Cruise-In
- The Fat Cow & Oyster Bar – known for their fresh seafood dishes, oysters, and craft cocktails.
- S+L Kitchen & Bar – offers a variety of modern comfort food dishes such as burgers, steaks, and pasta.
- Trading Post Brewing – a brewery that also serves delicious pub fare like burgers and sandwiches.
- Ban Chok Dee Thai Cuisine – offers authentic Thai cuisine with a modern twist.
- The Italian Osteria & Cheesebar – specializes in Italian cuisine with an extensive wine list and cheese bar.
- Me-n-Ed’s Pizza Parlors – famous for their signature pizza pies made from scratch using fresh ingredients.
- Bacchus Bistro at Domaine de Chaberton Winery – offers French-inspired cuisine paired with award-winning wines from the winery’s vineyard.
- Indian Accent Restaurant – serves traditional Indian dishes including curries, tandoori chicken, and naan breads.
- Campbell Valley Regional Park offers a range of outdoor activities including hiking, horseback riding, picnic areas, and nature trails.
- Derby Reach Regional Park is a great destination for fishing, canoeing/kayaking, cycling, and hiking.
- Langley City Park features playgrounds, sports fields/courts and walking paths for visitors to enjoy.
- Fort Langley National Historic Site is a must-visit location for history buffs with its guided tours and exhibits.
- Aldergrove Regional Park provides ample opportunities for picnicking, hiking trails and wildlife viewing experiences.
- Walnut Grove Community Centre & Park offers indoor/outdoor pools as well as fitness classes/programs suitable for all ages.
- Sendall Gardens is an idyllic garden park with a pond located in the center of the city that visitors will love exploring.
- Milner Village Garden Centre is a popular destination among gardening enthusiasts looking to stock up on supplies or seek advice from experts in the field.
- Langley BMX Track provides an excellent spot for children to learn BMX biking skills while having fun outdoors with friends or family members!
- Langley Curling Club offers curling lessons perfect both beginners and experienced players looking to improve their skills on the ice!