Geographic Coordinates: 45.583300, -73.750000
Temperature Range: -40.0°C to 30.0°C (-40°F to 86°F)
Climate: Cold winters, mild springs and falls, and warm summers with occasional thunderstorms.
Laval is a beautiful city located in the province of Quebec, Canada. It is situated on the island of Île Jésus, Which lies to the north of Montreal. The city has a population of over 400, 000 people and covers an area of 247 square kilometers. Laval is known for its rich history and culture, With many historical sites and museums scattered throughout the city. One such site is Maison des Arts de Laval, An art center that features exhibitions from local artists as well as international ones.
Another popular attraction is Cosmodome Space Science Centre, Where visitors can learn about space exploration through interactive exhibits. The city also boasts several parks and green spaces that offer residents and visitors ample opportunities for outdoor recreation. One such park is Parc de la Rivière-des-Mille-Îles, Which offers hiking trails along the riverbank as well as canoeing and kayaking opportunities. In addition to its cultural attractions and natural beauty, Laval has a thriving economy with many businesses operating within its borders.
The city’s strategic location near major highways makes it an ideal place for companies looking to establish themselves in Quebec or expand their operations into new markets. One notable industry in Laval is technology, With many high-tech companies choosing to set up shop there due to its proximity to Montreal’s vibrant tech scene. Other industries that are thriving in Laval include aerospace, Pharmaceuticals, And manufacturing. Laval also has a strong education system with several universities and colleges located within its borders.
These institutions offer students a wide range of programs across various disciplines including business administration, Engineering, Computer science among others. Overall Laval offers residents an excellent quality of life thanks to its rich cultural heritage combined with modern amenities like shopping centers malls restaurants etc., All while being surrounded by natural beauty making it one of Canada’s most desirable cities!
- Place Bell
- Carrefour Laval
- Parc de la Rivière-des-Mille-Îles
- Armand-Frappier Museum
- Château Taillefer-Lafon
- Maison André-Benjamin-Papineau
- Centre d’Art La Chapelle
- Les Galeries Laval
- Information technology: Laval has a thriving IT sector with many companies specializing in software development, web design, and digital marketing.
- Aerospace: The city is home to several aerospace companies that design and manufacture aircraft parts.
- Pharmaceuticals: Laval has a number of pharmaceutical companies that research, develop, and produce drugs for various medical conditions.
- Retail: With several shopping malls and retail centers located throughout the city, retail is a significant industry in Laval.
- Food processing: The city has a strong food processing industry with many companies involved in producing packaged foods for distribution across Canada.
- Manufacturing: Laval has a diverse manufacturing sector with companies producing everything from industrial machinery to consumer goods like clothing and furniture.
- Health care: The city is home to several hospitals, clinics, and medical research facilities that provide health care services to residents of Laval as well as neighboring communities.
- The founding of Laval: Laval was established in 1965 by merging the former cities of Chomedey, Duvernay, Laval-des-Rapides, Sainte-Rose and Vimont.
- The history of Indigenous peoples: Prior to European settlement, the region that now encompasses Laval was inhabited by various Indigenous peoples such as the Iroquois and Algonquin nations.
- Jacques Cartier: In 1535, French explorer Jacques Cartier arrived at Île Jésus (Island of Jesus), which is now part of present-day Laval after sailing up the St. Lawrence River.
- Jean-Baptiste Gagnepain: A significant figure in early Laval history was Jean-Baptiste Gagnepain who played a key role in establishing local institutions including schools and churches.
- The Battle of Longue-Pointe: During the American Revolutionary War in 1776, British forces led by General Guy Carleton defeated American forces at Longue-Pointe which is near Montreal but close to Laval.
- The building boom after World War II: Following World War II, there was a significant increase in construction activity within suburban areas including Laval as people moved out from Montreal.
- Gilles Vaillancourt: Gilles Vaillancourt served as mayor of Laval from 1989 until his resignation in 2012 due to allegations of corruption against him.
- Soccer legend Bob Lenarduzzi: Bob Lenarduzzi grew up in Saint-Leonard (now part of Montreal) but played for several soccer teams located within nearby Laval during his career.
- The construction industry scandal: In recent years, there have been several high-profile scandals involving corruption and collusion within Quebec’s construction industry; some notable figures associated with these scandals had connections to projects or companies based in Laval.
- The growth of high-tech industries: In recent years, Laval has become a hub for high-tech industries such as biotech, video game development, and aerospace engineering.
- Cosmodome: This space museum is dedicated to space exploration and features interactive exhibits, simulators, and a planetarium.
- Armand-Frappier Museum: This science museum explores the history of microbiology and public health in Canada through interactive exhibits, artifacts, and multimedia displays.
- Centre d’art Diane-Dufresne: This art center showcases contemporary art exhibitions from local and international artists in various mediums such as painting, sculpture, photography, and video.
- Maison des arts de Laval: This cultural center offers a variety of performing arts events such as theater productions, dance performances, concerts, and festivals.
- Place Bell: This multi-purpose arena hosts sports events like hockey games as well as concerts by popular musicians.
- Parc de la Riviere-des-Mille-Iles: A beautiful park with walking trails along the riverbank where visitors can rent kayaks or canoes to explore the waterways.
- Château Taillefer-Lafon: A historic mansion that has been converted into an event venue for weddings or corporate events with stunning architecture and gardens.
- Saint-Vincent-de-Paul Church: A beautiful church built-in 1889 featuring stained glass windows depicting biblical scenes that are worth visiting for their beauty alone.
- Musee Pour Enfants De Laval (Laval Children’s Museum): An interactive museum designed specifically for young children featuring hands-on exhibits related to science experiments, music, cooking, etc.
- Centre de la Nature: This nature center is home to many animals including deer, foxes, raccoons, etc. There are also walking trails around the lake which make it perfect for family picnics.
- The Laval Rocket is a professional ice hockey team affiliated with the NHL’s Montreal Canadiens. They play in the AHL and were founded in 2017.
- The athletic program of Université Laval is known as the Laval Rouge et Or, with many of their teams based in nearby Laval. They have won 11 Vanier Cup championships for Canadian university football.
- FC Laval was a professional soccer club that played in the Canadian Soccer League from 2009 to 2014, known for their successful on-field performances and passionate fan base.
- Les Aigles de Trois-Rivières is an independent baseball team that plays at Stade Stereo+ located just outside of Montreal on Ile-Perrot, although they are not based directly in Laval.
- Club de boxe Champion has produced notable fighters such as former world champion Lucian Bute and current UFC fighter Alex Garcia through their boxing gym over the years.
- Les Canadiennes de Montréal-Blueshirts du Séminaire Saint-François is a women’s ice hockey team originally founded as Les Canadiennes de Montréal, relocated to become Blueshirts du Séminaire Saint-François for one season before returning to Montreal as Les Canadiennes again after one season.
- Laval en Blues Festival – A three-day blues music festival held in August.
- Festival de la galette et des saveurs du terroir – A food festival celebrating local cuisine and traditional French-Canadian dishes, held in January.
- Fête Nationale du Québec – Quebec’s National Day celebration on June 24th, with parades, fireworks, and cultural events.
- Les Rendez-vous Loto-Québec – An outdoor summer concert series featuring a variety of musical genres.
- Laval International Laughs Festival – A comedy festival featuring both local and international comedians, held in July.
- Marché de Noël de Laval – A Christmas market with artisanal crafts and holiday treats, held in December.
- Les Weekends Gourmands de l’Érable – An annual maple syrup festival celebrating Quebec’s famous sweet treat, held in April.
- Salon des Arts et Métiers d’Art de Laval – An arts and crafts fair showcasing the work of local artisans, held in November.
- Festival Diapason – A classical music festival featuring concerts by renowned musicians from around the world, held throughout the year at various venues across Laval.
- Festi-Vent sur Glace de la Ville Deux-Montagnes – This winter event is a kite flying competition that takes place on ice along with other activities such as snowshoeing or skating for visitors to enjoy!
- La Belle et La Boeuf – a trendy burger joint with creative toppings and a lively atmosphere.
- Restaurant Casa Grecque – serving traditional Greek dishes such as souvlaki, moussaka, and spanakopita.
- Le Milsa – a Brazilian steakhouse offering all-you-can-eat meat dishes served on skewers.
- Pho Thanh Long – specializing in Vietnamese pho noodle soup and other authentic dishes.
- Chez Lionel – known for their famous hot dogs with unique toppings such as poutine or spaghetti sauce.
- Bistro Merlot-Resto Bar- a French-inspired restaurant featuring classic dishes like escargot, beef bourguignon, and crème brûlée.
- Parc de la Rivière-des-Mille-Îles
- Parc des Prairies
- Cosmodôme Space Science Centre
- Bois-de-Liesse Nature Park
- Armand-Frappier Museum
- Chomedey Innertube Water Polo Club
- Laval Nature Center
- Les Sentiers du Moulin hiking trails
- SkyVenture Montreal indoor skydiving centre