Geographic Coordinates: 11.583300, 124.450000
Climate: Data not available.
Naval is a picturesque coastal town located in the province of Biliran, Philippines. Nestled along the eastern coast of Biliran Island, This charming municipality offers visitors a unique blend of natural beauty, Historical sites, And warm hospitality. Naval serves as the capital and economic center of the province. One of Naval’s most notable attractions is its stunning beaches. The coastline stretches for miles, With powdery white sands and crystal-clear waters beckoning travelers to relax and unwind. Maripipi Beach is particularly popular among locals and tourists alike for its tranquil ambiance and breathtaking views.
For nature enthusiasts, Naval boasts an abundance of natural wonders. Mount Panamao stands tall as the highest peak on Biliran Island, Offering adventurous hikers panoramic vistas from its summit. The Tinago Falls cascades down into a serene pool surrounded by lush greenery—an ideal spot for swimming or simply enjoying the tranquility of nature. History buffs will find plenty to explore in Naval as well. The town’s Spanish-era church, Known as Santo Niño Parish Church or Kawayan Church due to its bamboo construction materials, Dates back to 1629—a testament to centuries-old architecture that has withstood the test of time.
Naval also hosts several festivals throughout the year that showcase local traditions and culture. One such event is Sinulog sa Naval Festival held every July in honor of Santo Niño (Child Jesus). Colorful street parades featuring traditional dances accompanied by vibrant music create an atmosphere filled with joyous celebrations. The people of Naval are known for their warmth and friendliness towards visitors. Local delicacies such as kinilaw (raw fish marinated in vinegar), Binagol (sweet coconut dessert), And kakanin (rice cakes) provide a delightful culinary experience unique to this region.
In recent years, Tourism has been growing steadily in Naval thanks to improved accessibility through air travel from nearby Tacloban City Airport or ferry services from Ormoc City. Accommodation options range from budget-friendly guesthouses to more upscale resorts, Ensuring that visitors of all budgets can find a comfortable place to stay. Whether you seek relaxation on pristine beaches, Adventure in the great outdoors, Or immersion in rich cultural heritage, Naval offers a little something for everyone.
With its natural beauty and warm hospitality, This charming town is an ideal destination for those looking to explore the hidden gems of the Philippines.
- Mt. Tres Marias – A popular hiking destination with three peaks offering panoramic views of the surrounding area.
- Agta Beach – A pristine white sand beach known for its crystal clear waters and peaceful atmosphere.
- Almadowa Falls – A stunning waterfall located in Brgy. Almadowa, offering a refreshing swimming experience.
- Sto. Niño Church – The main Catholic church in Naval, known for its beautiful architecture and religious significance.
- Biliran Bridge – An iconic bridge connecting the islands of Biliran and Leyte, providing breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape.
- Higatangan Island – An island known for its long sandbar and vibrant marine life, making it a popular spot for snorkeling and diving enthusiasts.
- Tinago Falls – Located in Caibiran town near Naval, this cascading waterfall is surrounded by lush greenery and offers a picturesque setting for nature lovers.
- Sambawan Island – A small island off the coast of Maripipi town known for its stunning landscapes, clear waters, and coral reefs perfect for snorkeling or diving experiences.
- Recoletos Peak (Tinago Hill) – Offers panoramic views of Naval town from its summit; ideal spot to watch sunrise or sunset.
- Biliran Provincial Capitol Building – Known as Capitol Grounds, it serves as an iconic landmark representing governance in Biliran province.
- Agriculture: The town is known for its agricultural sector, with products such as rice, corn, coconut, root crops (cassava and sweet potato), vegetables, and fruits being cultivated.
- Fishing: Naval has a significant fishing industry due to its coastal location. Fishermen engage in various forms of fishing activities like commercial fishing, aquaculture (fish ponds), and seaweed farming.
- Tourism: Naval is also emerging as a tourist destination due to its natural attractions including stunning beaches like Higatangan Island Beach and Sambawan Island Beach Resort. Tourism-related businesses such as hotels, resorts, restaurants, and souvenir shops are growing in the area.
- Retail trade: As the capital town of Biliran province, Naval serves as a commercial hub providing various retail services to residents from nearby municipalities.
- Small-scale manufacturing: Some small-scale manufacturing activities are present in Naval such as handicraft production (weaving baskets or mats) and food processing (coconut-based products).
- Education sector: With several schools and educational institutions located in the town, education plays an important role in the local economy.
- Government services: Being the capital town of Biliran province means that government offices are concentrated in Naval which provides employment opportunities for locals.
- Transportation services: Due to its central location within Biliran province, there are transportation-related businesses operating within Naval such as jeepney operators or tricycle drivers offering transportation services to residents or tourists visiting nearby areas.
It’s important to note that while these industries/businesses represent some of the major economic activities in Naval today; this list may not be exhaustive or entirely up-to-date due to potential changes over time.
- World War II: Like many parts of the Philippines, Naval was greatly affected by World War II. The province of Biliran was occupied by Japanese forces during the war, resulting in several battles and skirmishes taking place in and around Naval.
- Liberation from Japanese Occupation: On March 26, 1945, American forces led by Filipino guerillas launched an assault on Biliran Island to liberate it from Japanese occupation. This event marked an important turning point in Naval’s history.
- Tomas Oppus: Born on January 7, 1924, Tomas Oppus was a prominent Filipino poet and playwright who hailed from Naval. He wrote numerous poems and plays that explored themes of social justice and national identity.
- Agta Beach Resort Tragedy: On February 17, 2008, a tragic accident occurred at Agta Beach Resort in Biliran Province near Naval where several tourists were killed due to strong waves caused by Tropical Storm Huaning (international name Mekkhala). This event had a significant impact on tourism in the area.
- Florencio Campomanes: Born on February 22, 1927, Florencio Campomanes was an influential Filipino chess player who became the president of FIDE (World Chess Federation) from 1982 to 1995. He spent his early years studying at Biliran High School in Naval before pursuing his successful career as a chess player and administrator.
- Historical Churches: While not directly associated with specific events or people from Naval itself, there are several historical churches nearby that reflect the region’s rich cultural heritage such as Sts Peter & Paul Cathedral in Naval and the Agta Church Ruins in Almeria.
It is important to note that Naval, being a smaller municipality, may not have as many notable events or people directly associated with it compared to larger cities or provinces. However, these events and individuals from the wider region have influenced the local culture and history of Naval.
- Naval State University Museum – Located within the Naval State University campus, this museum showcases artifacts and exhibits related to the history, culture, and natural resources of Biliran Province.
- Tinago Falls – A stunning waterfall located in Caibiran, about 30 minutes away from Naval. It is surrounded by lush greenery and offers a refreshing swimming experience.
- Agta Beach Resort – A popular beach resort in Almeria, just a short drive from Naval. It features pristine white sand beaches and crystal-clear waters perfect for swimming or relaxing.
- Santo Niño Shrine and Heritage Museum – Situated in Kawayan town, this museum houses religious artifacts, antiques, and historical items related to the region’s cultural heritage.
- Higatangan Island – Located off the coast of Naval, this island is known for its long stretch of white sand beach called Higatangan Sandbar. Visitors can also explore the island’s caves and enjoy snorkeling or diving activities.
- Sambawan Island – A picturesque island off Biliran’s coast with beautiful landscapes and crystal-clear waters perfect for snorkeling or scuba diving enthusiasts.
- Mainit Hot Spring National Park – Located in Caibiran town, this national park features hot spring pools where visitors can relax while enjoying scenic views of surrounding mountains.
- Bagongbong Falls – Another impressive waterfall located in Almeria town that offers a refreshing escape into nature with its cool cascading waters surrounded by lush vegetation.
- Biliran Provincial Capitol Building – The seat of government for Biliran Province located in Naval town itself; it is an architectural landmark worth visiting due to its unique design elements.
- Tukbo Peak – For adventure seekers looking for panoramic views of Biliran Island; Tukbo Peak offers hiking trails leading up to breathtaking vistas overlooking rice terraces and nearby islands.
These are just a few of the many attractions that Naval and its surrounding areas have to offer. Visitors can also explore local markets, taste traditional cuisine, and experience the warm hospitality of the locals.
- Naval State University (NSU) Athletics: NSU is a local university that has various sports teams representing the institution. They participate in regional and intercollegiate competitions, such as basketball, volleyball, football (soccer), athletics, and more.
- Barangay Sports Teams: Barangays often organize their own sports teams for friendly competitions within Naval. These can include basketball, volleyball, softball/baseball, football (soccer), and traditional Filipino games like sipa or patintero.
- Biliran Province Athletic Association (BPAA): The BPAA organizes annual sporting events among different municipalities within Biliran province. Naval usually participates with its own delegation of athletes competing in various disciplines.
- Inter-Barangay Basketball League: Basketball is immensely popular in the Philippines, and Naval is no exception to this trend. The town organizes an inter-barangay basketball league where different barangays form their respective teams to compete against each other.
- Billiard/Bowling Clubs: While not technically team-based sports per se, billiards and bowling have been enjoyed by locals through clubs or associations that organize tournaments and leagues within Naval.
It’s important to note that these examples represent community-level involvement rather than professional or national-level sports teams with extensive histories typically found in larger cities or regions with more established sporting infrastructure.
- Pintados-Kasadyaan Festival – This festival is held every June in honor of the town’s patron saint, St. John the Baptist. It showcases the rich cultural heritage of Naval through street dancing, traditional music, and colorful costumes.
- Sinulog Festival – Celebrated every third Sunday of January, this festival pays tribute to the Santo Niño (Child Jesus). Participants dress in vibrant costumes and dance to rhythmic beats while carrying images of the Santo Niño.
- Sangyaw Festival – Held annually in December, this festival features a grand parade with floats adorned with lights and lanterns. It aims to promote tourism and showcase the local culture through street dancing performances.
- Kasadyaan Han Samar – This regional festival takes place during Samar Day on August 11th each year. It gathers various municipalities from across Samar province to showcase their unique traditions through dance competitions and cultural presentations.
- Shipbuilding Festival – As Naval is known for its shipbuilding industry, this event celebrates the craftsmanship of local shipbuilders by showcasing their skills through exhibits and demonstrations.
- Feast of Our Lady of Fatima – Celebrated every May 13th, this religious event honors Our Lady of Fatima with a procession around town followed by a mass at the Naval Cathedral.
These are just some examples of cultural events and festivals that take place in Naval, Philippines throughout the year; there may be other smaller-scale celebrations specific to certain barangays (neighborhoods) or communities within Naval as well.
- Kinamot Restaurant – Known for its delicious seafood dishes like kinilaw (ceviche), grilled fish, and shrimp sinigang.
- Kainan sa Dalampasigan – A beachfront restaurant that offers a wide variety of Filipino dishes such as adobo, kare-kare, and crispy pata.
- Lutong Bahay ni Nanay – A home-style restaurant that serves traditional Filipino comfort food like tinolang manok (chicken ginger soup), pancit canton (stir-fried noodles), and lechon kawali (crispy pork belly).
- Tito’s Grill Haus – Famous for their grilled specialties such as liempo (grilled pork belly) and inihaw na pusit (grilled squid).
- Casa de Celo – A cozy restaurant that specializes in classic Filipino dishes like bulalo (beef bone marrow soup) and sinuglaw (a combination of grilled pork belly and kinilaw).
- Chowcology Food Park – A food park with various stalls offering different cuisines including Filipino favorites like barbecue, isaw (grilled chicken intestines), and balut (fertilized duck egg).
- Jollibee Naval – The local branch of the famous fast-food chain known for its fried chicken, burgers, spaghetti, and other Filipino-style fast food.
- Andoks Litson Manok – Another popular fast-food chain that specializes in roasted chicken served with rice or bread.
These are just a few examples of the many dining options available in Naval where visitors can enjoy delicious local cuisine while exploring the town’s attractions.
- Naval State University – The university campus offers a spacious and green environment, perfect for walking, jogging, or simply enjoying nature.
- Tinago Falls – Located just outside the town proper, Tinago Falls is a popular spot for swimming and picnicking. It features a cascading waterfall surrounded by lush vegetation.
- Kawayan Park – This park is known for its beautiful bamboo structures and well-maintained gardens. It’s a great place to relax, have a picnic, or take photos.
- Naval Plaza – The town plaza serves as a gathering place for locals and visitors alike. It has benches where you can sit and people-watch or enjoy the occasional live performances.
- Hiking in Mount Nangtud – For adventure enthusiasts, hiking up Mount Nangtud is an option to explore the natural beauty of the area while getting some exercise.
- Beaches – Naval is located near several beaches such as Calumpang Beach and Mapanas Beach where visitors can enjoy swimming, sunbathing, beach volleyball, or simply relaxing by the shore.
- Scuba Diving in Biliran Island – Just off the coast of Naval lies Biliran Island which offers opportunities for scuba diving with its diverse marine life and coral reefs.
- Waterfalls hopping – Aside from Tinago Falls mentioned earlier; there are other waterfalls near Naval that are worth visiting such as Ulan-Ulan Falls in Caibiran town or Recoletos Falls in Almeria town.