Region: Kaluga Oblast
Geographic Coordinates: 55.093100, 36.610600
Temperature Range: -40.0°C to 40.0°C (-40°F to 104°F)
Climate: Cold winters and mild summers with a significant amount of precipitation throughout the year.
Obninsk is a small city situated in the Kaluga Oblast region of Russia, Approximately 100 km southwest of Moscow. It is known for being the first nuclear city in the world, Where the Soviet Union built its first nuclear power plant in 1954. The city has since become a hub for scientific research and development with several institutes and universities dedicated to various fields of study. The Institute for Nuclear Research is one of Obninsk’s most notable landmarks, Conducting cutting-edge research into nuclear physics and energy. The State Medical University specializes in training medical professionals and conducting healthcare research.
Obninsk also has a rich cultural heritage with several museums dedicated to preserving its history and showcasing local art and culture. The Museum of History and Culture features exhibits on traditional Russian crafts to modern art installations. For outdoor enthusiasts, Obninsk offers plenty of opportunities for recreation with natural parks like Znamensky Park or Voronovo Forest Reserve providing ample space for hiking, Cycling or enjoying nature with family or friends. The city has excellent transport links both within Russia and internationally via Moscow’s airports.
Regular bus services connect it with nearby towns while trains run frequently between Moscow’s Belorussky Station and Obninsk Railway Station. Overall, Obninsk is an interesting place worth visiting especially if one has an interest in science or history!
- Institute of Physics and Power Engineering
- Obninsk Nuclear Power Plant Museum
- Monument to the Conquerors of Space
- Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker
- Obninsk Aquapark Cascade
- Park named after Academician A.I.Alikhanov
- Memorial Complex To Heroes – Participants in Local Conflicts
- The Central Park of Culture and Rest named after F.E.Dzerzhinsky
- Art Gallery Obninsk Fine Arts Center
- Museum-estate “Lopasnya-Zachatyevskaya”
- Nuclear energy: Obninsk is home to the world’s first nuclear power plant, built in 1954.
- Medical research: The city has numerous research institutes specializing in medical research, including the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences.
- Aerospace industry: Several aerospace companies operate in Obninsk, producing satellites and other space-related technologies.
- Information technology: A number of IT companies offer software development, IT consulting, and other services in Obninsk.
- Agriculture: Agriculture plays a vital role in the surrounding areas of Obninsk with many farms producing crops such as wheat, barley, and potatoes.
- Manufacturing: Various manufacturing companies operate in Obninsk producing products like construction materials, textiles, and electronic components.
- Education: The city houses several universities that offer courses on science & technology fields like nuclear physics & engineering etc., attracting students from all over Russia & abroad to study here.
- Obninsk, a city in Russia, holds the distinction of being the first site of a nuclear power plant in the world. The plant began operations in 1954.
- Nikolay Obukhov founded Obninsk and established a settlement on the site back in 1945. The city was named after him.
- During World War II, Obninsk played an important role as a transportation hub for troops and supplies heading to and from the front lines.
- Several notable people have been associated with Obninsk over time, including physicist Lev Landau who worked at Moscow’s Institute for Physical Problems and was instrumental in developing Soviet nuclear technology; mathematician Andrey Kolmogorov who also worked at the Institute for Physical Problems made significant contributions to probability theory; writer Boris Pasternak is another noteworthy figure known for authoring Doctor Zhivago.
- In recent times, Obninsk has gained recognition as a hub of high-tech industries and research institutions that specialize in nuclear physics and engineering among other fields of study.
- Obninsk Museum of History and Local Lore
- Obninsk Nuclear Power Plant Museum
- Monument to the Conquerors of Space
- Memorial Complex Obninsk – the First City of Nuclear Science
- Obninsk Art Gallery
- Monument to the Heroes of World War II
- Church of Sts Peter and Paul
- Park Victory
- House-Museum of Academician I.V.Kurchatov
- Monument to Yuri Gagarin
- FC FSAE Obninsk – a football club founded in 1994 that plays in the Russian Amateur Football League.
- HC Obninsk – a professional ice hockey team that played in the VHL (second-tier league) from 2013 to 2019.
- BC Obninsk – a basketball team founded in 2007 that competes in regional leagues.
- Volleyball Club Obninsk – a women’s volleyball team founded in 2008 that plays in the Moscow Region Volleyball League.
- Athletics Club Avangard – an athletics club with multiple disciplines for youth and adults, founded in 1964.
These teams have different histories and achievements within their respective leagues and competitions but they all contribute to the local sports scene of Obninsk, Russia.
- Obninsk City Day – a celebration of the city’s founding on June 24th with parades and concerts.
- Obninsk Film Festival – an annual event showcasing local and international films.
- International Festival of Chamber Music Obninsk Spring – a classical music festival held in April.
- Obninskie Zori (Obninsk Dawns) Folklore Festival – a celebration of traditional Russian music and dance held in August.
- Golden Autumn Agricultural Fair – an exhibition showcasing agricultural products from the region held in September.
- Kapustnik Cabbage Festival – a food festival celebrating cabbage dishes held in October.
- Maslenitsa – A week-long celebration leading up to Lent where people participate in traditional Russian folk games, eat blinis (pancakes), and burn effigies to bid farewell to winter.
- Pelmeni – a traditional Russian dish consisting of small meat-filled dumplings served with sour cream or vinegar.
- Shashlik – grilled skewered meat (usually pork or lamb) marinated in spices and served with vegetables.
- Blini – thin pancakes made from buckwheat flour and filled with various ingredients such as cheese, mushrooms, and smoked salmon.
- Vareniki – boiled dumplings similar to pelmeni but filled with potatoes, cottage cheese or fruits like cherries.
- Kvas – a fermented drink made from bread that is often flavored with fruit syrups.
Popular restaurants in Obninsk serving these dishes include:
- Restaurant Taste – serves Russian cuisine including pelmeni and shashlik.
- Cafe Blinchik – specializes in blini.
- Cafe Varenichnaya №1 – offers vareniki as well as other traditional Russian dishes.
- Bar Kvasoffka – specializes in kvas drinks.
- Restaurant Zolotaya Rybka – serves seafood dishes along with other European cuisines.
- Park of Culture and Recreation named after V.I. Lenin is located in the city center and offers a variety of recreational activities such as walking paths, playgrounds, sports fields, and a lake for boating.
- Victory Park is dedicated to the soldiers who fought in World War II and offers walking paths, monuments, a museum, and an outdoor amphitheater for events.
- Central Park of Science is located near the Institute of Nuclear Power Engineering and Technology (INPE&T) and features interactive science exhibits along with walking paths.
- Kurchatovskiy Forest Park is located on the outskirts of Obninsk and offers hiking trails, picnic areas, camping sites, and fishing opportunities.
- Sports Complex Spartak includes several indoor sports facilities such as swimming pools, basketball courts, tennis courts, fitness rooms etc.
- Ice Palace Khrustalnyy has an ice rink for public skating sessions as well as offering figure skating lessons or hockey games.
- Extreme-Park Zelenaya Polyana features various outdoor activities such as paintballing or zip-lining through the forest canopy.
- Bowling club Strike is a bowling alley with 12 lanes which also hosts tournaments or parties etc.
- Kartodrom Obninsk is a go-kart track where visitors can race around on their own karts or rent them out to compete against each other.