Region: Oral is located in West Kazakhstan Region
Geographic Coordinates: 51.222500, 51.372500
Temperature Range: -40.0°C to 35.0°C (-40°F to 95°F)
Climate: Cold and dry winters, hot and dry summers, and a moderate climate in spring and autumn.
Oral, Also known as Uralsk, Is a city situated in the western part of Kazakhstan on the banks of the Ural River. It serves as a regional center for commerce, Industry, And culture with a population of over 300, 000 people. The city’s history dates back to the 16th century when it was founded as a small fortress by Cossacks. Later on, Oral became an important center for agriculture and industry due to its fertile soil and rich natural resources. Today, Oral has many cultural landmarks that reflect its diverse history and heritage.
The Holy Trinity Cathedral built-in 1884 by Russian Orthodox missionaries is one such landmark with stunning architecture featuring intricate frescoes adorning its walls. The Museum of Local History is another significant attraction showcasing artifacts from various periods including ancient times up until modern-day Kazakhstan. The museum has exhibits on archaeology, Ethnography and local customs that offer visitors an insight into Kazakh culture. For nature lovers visiting Oral there are several parks including Victory Park which offers beautiful views across the city along with walking trails through lush greenery dotted with fountains and statues depicting local heroes from different eras.
Oral also boasts a vibrant nightlife scene with numerous bars offering live music performances by local artists along with traditional Kazakh cuisine like beshbarmak (a meat-based dish) or kazy (a type of sausage). One unique feature about this city is that it has two time zones – one side follows Moscow time while another follows Astana time since it lies almost midway between these two major cities. Oral offers visitors historical landmarks along with modern amenities making it an ideal destination for anyone looking to explore Kazakhstan’s rich cultural heritage.
With diverse attractions like museums, Parks & nightlife scenes- everyone can find something they love in this beautiful city!
- Zhayyk River Promenade
- Aisha Bibi Mausoleum
- Orda Museum
- Aksu-Zhabagly Nature Reserve
- Black Hill (Chernaya Gora) Observatory
- Regional Museum of Local Lore
- St Nicholas Orthodox Cathedral
- Abai Cultural Palace
- Saken Seifullin Museum
- Turkestan-Siberia Railway Station
- The foundation of the city in 1613 by Cossacks led by Yermak Timofeyevich.
- The takeover of Oral by the Kazakh Khanate in 1720, signifying the start of Kazakh dominance over the region.
- The influx of Russian colonizers into Oral during the late 19th century, which resulted in increased economic growth and cultural interaction between Russians and Kazakhs.
- The establishment of a Soviet administration in Oral after the Bolshevik Revolution, which brought significant changes to social and economic life within the city.
- The pivotal role played by Oral during World War II as a hub for military production and logistics for Soviet forces battling against Nazi Germany.
- Distinguished individuals associated with Oral include Mukhtar Auezov, an esteemed Kazakh author born in Oral; Abay Kunanbayev, one of Kazakhstan’s most celebrated poets who spent much of his life living near Oral; and Olzhas Suleimenov, an environmental activist born near Oral.
Overall, these historical events and notable personalities have helped shape both Oral’s identity as well as its place within Kazakhstan’s broader history.
- Regional Museum of Local Lore: This museum is dedicated to showcasing the history, culture, and natural resources of the region.
- Abay Kazakh State Academic Opera and Ballet Theatre: This stunning theatre hosts performances by some of Kazakhstan’s top opera singers and ballet dancers.
- The Mausoleum of Khoja Ahmed Yasawi: A UNESCO World Heritage Site that is considered to be one of the most significant architectural monuments in Central Asia.
- Aksu-Zhabagly Nature Reserve: This beautiful natural area boasts diverse flora and fauna, including rare species such as snow leopards.
- Memorial Complex Zhas Kanat: A monument dedicated to the victims of political repression during Soviet times.
- Nur-Alem Pavilion: An impressive futuristic building that houses an interactive museum on energy and sustainability.
- Art Center Tengri-Umai: An art center featuring exhibitions by local artists as well as workshops in traditional Kazakh crafts such as felt-making and embroidery.
- The Palace of Culture named after Saken Seifullin – a cultural center where visitors can enjoy concerts, plays, movies or participate in various events organized here throughout the year.
- Issyk-Kul Lake – located around 100 km from Oral city it is one of Kazakhstan’s most beautiful lakes with crystal clear water surrounded by mountains making it perfect for outdoor activities like swimming, hiking or camping trips
- Zhastar Park – A park located near Oral city center where visitors can take walks along its picturesque pathways while enjoying fresh air amidst lush greenery with benches available for rest or picnic spots available for families to spend their weekends together
- Unfortunately, I do not have access to the most recent information about sports teams in Oral, Kazakhstan.
- However, I suggest that you check out local news sources or sports websites for more information on the history of sports teams in that region.
- Nauryz – a traditional Kazakh spring festival celebrated on March 21st with food, music, dance and other cultural activities.
- Sabantuy – a Tatar festival held in June that celebrates the end of spring sowing and beginning of summer harvest with sports competitions like wrestling and horse racing.
- Kurban Ait – a Muslim holiday celebrated after the Hajj pilgrimage during which sheep or cows are sacrificed as part of the tradition.
- Oral International Film Festival – an annual film festival held in September showcasing local and international films.
- Day of the City – celebrated annually on October 8th to commemorate the founding of Oral city with parades and cultural performances.
- Zhautykov International Olympiad for students studying mathematics, physics and computer science is also organized every year to attract young talents from all over Kazakhstan to compete at higher levels than their school programs offer them.
Please note that this is not an exhaustive list as there may be other events or festivals that are not listed here but take place in Oral throughout the year depending on various factors such as seasonality or local customs/traditions etc.
- Beshbarmak: A traditional Kazakh dish made with boiled meat (usually lamb or beef) served on a bed of flat noodles.
- Shashlik: Grilled skewers of marinated meat (usually lamb or beef) served with onions and bread.
- Plov: A rice dish cooked with meat, carrots, onions, and spices.
- Lagman: Noodle soup with vegetables and meat.
- Kuyrdak: A dish made from the liver, heart, kidneys, and other organs of sheep or cattle cooked in a skillet with onions and potatoes.
Some popular restaurants in Oral that serve these dishes include:
- Kazakh Khan Restaurant
- Koktobe Restaurant
- Shashlychnaya Zastava
- Barashek Cafe
- Saryarka Restaurant
- Central Park of Culture and Rest – a popular park with walking paths, fountains, playgrounds, and cafes.
- Zhaiyk River Embankment – a scenic riverfront area with benches for picnics and walks.
- Victory Park – a large park with monuments dedicated to World War II veterans.
- Ice Palace Barys – an indoor ice skating rink that offers public skating sessions and ice hockey games.
- City Sports Complex – a multi-sport complex that includes tennis courts, basketball courts, and football fields.
- Children’s Park Oralim – a small amusement park with rides for children of all ages.
- Auezov Cinema – an old-fashioned cinema that shows both Kazakhstani and international films.
- Museum of Local Lore – the museum showcases the history of Oral city from ancient times to present day through exhibits on archaeology, ethnography & culture.
- Oral Zoo- The zoo features animals from around the world including lions,tigers,bears etc
- Sporting events- Oral is famous for its sports events such as wrestling tournaments which take place throughout the year