Osan, South Korea
Geographic Coordinates: 37.149800, 127.077000
Temperature Range: -30.0°C to 40.0°C (-22°F to 104°F)
Osan is a city situated in the Gyeonggi Province of South Korea, Approximately 50 kilometers south of Seoul. The Osan Air Base, Established by the United States during the Korean War, Is located here and remains an important military installation today. Due to this, Osan has a significant American presence and offers a unique blend of Korean and Western culture. One of the most famous places to visit in Osan is Songtan Market, Which is situated near the air base. The market features hundreds of vendors selling everything from traditional Korean food to clothing to electronics.
It’s an excellent place to experience local culture and buy souvenirs. Another must-visit destination in Osan is Seolbong Park that provides stunning views of the surrounding countryside. Visitors can hike up to Seolbongsan Mountain’s top for panoramic views or explore one of several scenic walking trails throughout the park. For history enthusiasts, There are several important sites related to the Korean War in Osan. The War Memorial Museum commemorates those who fought and died during this conflict with exhibits on military history as well as artifacts from both North and South Korea.
Foodies will also find plenty to love about Osan’s culinary scene with popular dishes like dak galbi that consists of stir-fried chicken marinated in spicy sauce with vegetables like cabbage and sweet potato noodles or bibimbap – a rice bowl topped with various vegetables like carrots, Spinach, Bean sprouts along with beef or tofu. Overall whether you’re interested in history or just looking for some delicious food or shopping opportunities while experiencing traditional Korean culture alongside Western influences – there’s something for everyone in Osan!
- Osan Air Base
- Pyeongtaek Port
- Osan AB Golf Course
- Songtan Entertainment District
- The War Memorial of Korea – Pyeongtaek Branch
- Gyeonggi English Village, Paju Camp
- Gwanggyo Lake Park
- Ansan Reed Marsh Park
- Jeju Folk Village Museum (Pyeongtaek Branch)
- Songtan Central Park
- Defense Industry: Osan Air Base is a significant military installation in the city that houses the US Air Force’s 51st Fighter Wing. The base also serves as a hub for logistics and support operations.
- Manufacturing Industry: Osan boasts a thriving manufacturing industry with companies such as Samsung Electronics, LG Display, and Hanwha Chemical operating in the area.
- Agriculture Industry: The city is renowned for its agricultural products such as rice, strawberries, and ginseng.
- Retail Industry: There are numerous shopping malls and retail stores in Osan that cater to both locals and tourists.
- Service Sector: The service sector in Osan encompasses businesses like hotels, restaurants, cafes, spas and salons that serve both residents of the city and visitors.
- Education Sector: Several educational institutions are located in Osan including universities like Korea Aerospace University (KAU) offering courses related to aviation engineering & management; as well as private schools catering for international students such as Chadwick International School Songdo (CISS).
- The Battle of Osan occurred on July 5, 1950 and was the first battle of the Korean War. It was fought between United States and North Korean forces near Osan.
- General James Van Fleet played a crucial role in defending Osan during the Korean War and is a prominent American military commander.
- Osan Air Base, established in 1952, is a significant US military installation located near Osan that has helped shape US-South Korea relations.
- The Gyeonggi Museum of Modern Art is one of South Korea’s largest art museums situated in Osan that showcases works by local and international artists.
- Kim Yeon-koung, born and raised in Osan, is an internationally acclaimed volleyball player from South Korea.
- Taejongdae Resort Park offers breathtaking views of cliffs and ocean along with hiking trails and recreational activities for visitors to enjoy near Osan.
- Songtan Market has been a popular tourist destination for over 60 years offering traditional Korean food to clothing to electronics among other things located near Osan.
- Seongnam Arts Center situated just outside of Osan hosts cultural events such as concerts, plays, dance performances throughout the year providing state-of-the-art facilities for performers to showcase their talents.
- Osan Air Base Heritage Museum showcases the history of Osan Air Base and the United States Air Force in Korea.
- Songtan Art Center hosts various exhibitions, performances, and workshops throughout the year.
- Pyeongtaek Peace Observatory offers stunning views of the DMZ and is a symbol of peace on the Korean peninsula; it’s located near the border with North Korea.
- Gyeonggi Ceramic Museum showcases traditional Korean ceramics as well as contemporary ceramic art from around the world.
- Osan AB Golf Course is an 18-hole golf course open to both military personnel and civilians that offers stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
- Seonggeo Fortress was built during the Joseon Dynasty and offers a glimpse into Korea’s rich history and culture.
- Gyeonggi Provincial Museum houses artifacts from prehistoric times to modern-day Korea; it’s located in nearby Suwon.
- Hwaseong Fortress is a UNESCO World Heritage site located in Suwon that was built in late 18th century to protect against foreign invasion.
- Jeondeungsa Temple has been reconstructed many times throughout its long history but still maintains its original charm till date; established over 1,000 years ago during Silla dynasty period.
- Tancheonsa Temple located at Cheonan city is known for its beautiful architecture that incorporates traditional Korean style with modern design elements.
- Osan American High School Cougars
- Competes in football, basketball, volleyball, and soccer
- Serves military families stationed at Osan Air Base
- Osan FC
- Professional soccer team founded in 2006
- Won the K3 League championship in 2010
- Osan AB Mustangs
- Recreational softball team made up of military personnel stationed at Osan Air Base
- Competes against other military and civilian teams
- Taekwondo clubs
- Several clubs in the area
- Offer training for all levels of practitioners
Despite not having many professional teams based in Osan, there are still plenty of opportunities to participate or watch various athletic activities within the community.
- The Osan Cherry Blossom Festival occurs in April and celebrates the beautiful blooming of cherry blossom trees in Osan.
- In October, the Osan International Film Festival takes place, showcasing films from around the world.
- The Osan Traditional Market Festival is held in September and honors the traditional markets of Osan with cultural performances, food, and music.
- November brings the Osan Cultural Arts Festival which features traditional Korean music, dance, and art performances.
- While not directly located in Osan, the popular Boryeong Mud Festival is only a short distance away and attracts visitors from all over Korea to enjoy mud-related activities such as mud wrestling, mud sliding, and mud massages.
- The Pungcheon Watermelon Festival is an annual event that celebrates watermelon harvest with various activities including watermelon-eating contests, seed-spitting competitions as well as live music performances.
- At Gyeonggi Arts Center near Osan Air Base annually held Gyeonggi Province Dance Festival showcases traditional Korean dance performances from across the region.
- Galbi (grilled beef ribs) – a popular dish at restaurants like Gogi House and Kkang Tong.
- Bibimbap (mixed rice bowl) – can be found at many Korean restaurants like Hanwoori and Janggane.
- Samgyetang (chicken ginseng soup) – a traditional Korean dish served at places like Tosokchon Samgyetang and Baekjeong Myeongga.
- Dakgalbi (spicy stir-fried chicken) – a specialty of Osan’s Chuncheon Dakgalbi Alley, with popular spots including Yoogane and Chir Chir.
- Kimchi jjigae (kimchi stew) – can be found at many Korean restaurants like Hana Kitchen and Ssambap Jip.
- Makgeolli (rice wine) – a traditional Korean alcoholic beverage served at places like Makkoli Dongdongju Bang.
Other notable restaurants in Osan include:
- Oksu Station Food Street, which features various street food vendors.
- Cafe Le Passeur for coffee lovers.
- The Bread Blue for fresh baked goods.
- Baskin Robbins for ice cream.
- Lotteria, the popular fast food chain that originated in South Korea.
- Osan Air Base Park: This park is large and located on the Osan Air Base. It offers picnic areas, playgrounds, and sports fields for visitors to enjoy.
- Janghowon Park: A scenic park that features hiking trails, a lake, and an observatory for stargazing enthusiasts.
- Osan Citizen’s Forest: This forested area is perfect for those who love walking trails and picnics in a serene environment.
- Songtan Central Park: Located in the nearby city of Pyeongtaek, this popular park has playgrounds, sports fields, and an outdoor stage for events.
- Seonggeo Mountain Natural Recreation Forest: A mountainous area with hiking trails and camping facilities that are perfect for nature lovers.
- Osan AB Golf Course: An 18-hole golf course located on the Osan Air Base that offers visitors a chance to play golf amidst beautiful surroundings.
- Indoor Sports Center at the Osan AB Fitness Center: Visitors can enjoy basketball courts, weight rooms as well as fitness classes at this center.