Region: South Sumatra
Geographic Coordinates: -3.432800, 104.236000
Temperature Range: 25.0°C to 35.0°C (77°F to 95°F)
Climate: Tropical climate with high humidity and rainfall throughout the year.
Prabumulih is a city in the southern part of Sumatra Island, Indonesia. It is situated in South Sumatra province and has a population of around 150, 000 people. The city covers an area of approximately 80 square kilometers and is known for its natural beauty, Rich culture, And history. One of the main attractions in Prabumulih is its beautiful landscape. The city is surrounded by lush green forests and hills that offer breathtaking views to visitors. Additionally, Tourists can explore several waterfalls such as Air Terjun Riam Kanan and Air Terjun Lematang Indah.
Another significant feature of Prabumulih is its cultural heritage. Visitors can experience diverse ethnic populations consisting mainly of Malay, Javanese, Chinese, Batak Karo, Minangkabau and Palembang people who have their unique customs and traditions by attending traditional festivals like Jaranan or watching traditional dances like Tari Piring. Prabumulih also boasts several historical landmarks that are worth visiting such as Benteng Kuto Besak which was built during the Dutch colonial era to protect against attacks from local tribespeople.
Another famous historical site in Prabumulih is Museum Negeri Provinsi Sumatera Selatan which showcases various artifacts from different periods including prehistoric times until modern-day Indonesia. The economy in Prabumulih mainly relies on agriculture with rubber plantations being one of the primary sources of income for locals. The city also has several small businesses selling local products such as handicrafts made from bamboo or rattan.
Regarding transportation options available in Prabumulih include regular bus services connecting it to other major cities in South Sumatra province like Palembang or Lubuklinggau City while domestic flights are available from Sultan Mahmud Badaruddin II International Airport located about 150 kilometers away in Palembang. Overall, Prabumulih is a must-visit destination for anyone traveling to Sumatra Island. With its stunning landscapes, Rich history, And diverse culture, It offers a unique experience for visitors looking to explore Indonesia’s natural beauty and cultural heritage.
- Taman Kota Prabumulih – A public park with several recreational activities.
- Gua Putri – A cave located 10 km from the city center known for its beautiful stalactites and stalagmites.
- Bukit Batu Patah – A hill located on the outskirts of the city that offers a panoramic view of the surrounding area.
- Museum Minyak Bumi – An oil museum that showcases the history and development of oil exploration in Indonesia.
- Danau Ranau Lake – A lake located around 30 km from Prabumulih known for its scenic beauty and fishing opportunities.
- Masjid Agung Al-Munawaroh – The largest mosque in Prabumulih with unique architecture and beautiful interior design.
- Bukit Siguntang – An ancient hill site located around 60 km from Prabumulih that dates back to prehistoric times and has several historical artifacts on display at its museum.
Note: It is always advisable to check travel advisories before planning your trip to any destination due to COVID-19 restrictions or other unforeseen circumstances so please consult with relevant authorities before making any plans.
- Oil and gas industry: Prabumulih is renowned for its oil and gas reserves, with several companies operating in this sector, including Pertamina EP.
- Agriculture: The city is also known for its agricultural products such as rubber, palm oil, coffee, and cocoa.
- Mining: There are numerous mining companies operating in the area that extract coal, gold, silver, copper, and other minerals.
- Manufacturing: The city’s manufacturing sector is rapidly growing with companies producing textiles, furniture electronics components among others.
- Retail trade: There are many small retail shops selling various goods from clothing to food items across the city.
- Tourism: Although not a major industry yet but there are few tourist attractions like Bukit Siguntang which attracts visitors to the city annually.
- Transportation services including logistics services as well as public transportation like buses taxis etc.
- Prabumulih is a small city in Indonesia.
- There are not many significant historical events or people associated with it.
- The discovery of oil by Dutch geologist C.F. von Rosenberg in 1883 led to the establishment of an oil industry in the region.
- During World War II, Prabumulih was occupied by Japanese forces from 1942 to 1945.
- After Indonesia declared its independence from Dutch colonial rule in 1945, Prabumulih became part of South Sumatra province.
- Hatta Rajasa was born in Prabumulih and served as Coordinating Minister for Economic Affairs under President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono from 2009 to 2014.
- Although Prabumulih may not have a rich history compared to other cities in Indonesia, its role as an important site for oil exploration and production has had a significant impact on the region’s economy and development over time.
- Taman Kota Prabumulih: A beautiful park with a lake and a jogging track.
- Museum Batu Bidang: A museum that showcases the cultural heritage of the local area.
- Masjid Agung Al-Ikhlas: A grand mosque with Islamic architecture.
- Candi Muara Takus: An ancient Buddhist temple complex dating back to the 7th century.
- Air Terjun Tanjung Raya: A waterfall that is located in a forested area and is perfect for hiking and picnicking.
- Bukit Barisan Museum: This museum showcases the history of South Sumatra province and its rich culture.
- Bukit Siguntang: An archaeological site that dates back to the Srivijaya Empire era, which was once one of Southeast Asia’s most powerful empires.
- Gunung Dempo: It is an active volcano in South Sumatra province that offers stunning views of surrounding landscapes.
- Taman Wisata Alam Punti Kayu : It is a recreational park with various outdoor activities such as camping, trekking trails, fishing ponds etc.
- Puncak Lawang : Located at an altitude of 1200 meters above sea level on Mount Dempo , it offers panoramic views over Lake Ranau and surrounding hills.
- Prabumulih City Anniversary – This festival is held annually to celebrate the founding of Prabumulih city.
- Bumi Serasan Sekate Festival – This festival is celebrated to honor the local culture and traditions of Palembang.
- Kite Festival – The kite festival in Prabumulih is a popular event where people from all over Indonesia come together to fly kites.
- Pempek Festival – Pempek is a traditional dish from Palembang that’s made from fish and tapioca flour. This festival celebrates this delicious dish with various competitions and activities.
- Traditional Dance Festival – The traditional dance festival showcases different dances from various parts of Sumatra island, including Palembang, Jambi, Bengkulu, Lampung, and others.
Note: It’s always best to check with local tourism boards or websites for up-to-date information on events and festivals happening in any city or region you plan on visiting as these things can change frequently due to various reasons such as pandemics etc.
- Sate Padang Pak Datuk – famous for its grilled meat skewers with spicy peanut sauce.
- Nasi Goreng Kambing Pak Syamsul – known for its delicious lamb fried rice.
- Warung Makan Bu Lina – a popular spot for traditional Indonesian cuisine such as nasi campur and soto ayam.
- Bakso Pak Dedi – famous for its flavorful meatballs served in a soup or dry with noodles.
- Pempek Palembang Pak Raden – offers traditional Palembang-style fish cakes served with vinegar sauce.
- Ayam Penyet Bu Kris – serves crispy fried chicken served with spicy sambal sauce and rice.
- Soto Betawi Hj Rosidah – specializes in Betawi-style beef soup served with potato fritters and rice cakes.
- Martabak Telor Pak Yanto – serves savory or sweet stuffed pancakes that are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Taman Kota Prabumulih (Prabumulih City Park)
- Taman Wisata Alam Bukit Kaba (Bukit Kaba Nature Tourism Park)
- Lapangan Merdeka Prabumulih (Merdeka Field)
- Kolam Renang Pemkot Prabumulih (Prabumulih City Government Swimming Pool)
- Taman Bunga Sari (Sari Flower Garden)
- Danau Ranau Recreational Park
- Pusat Rekreasi Air Terjun Lematang Ilir (Lematang Ilir Waterfall Recreational Center)