Region: Tamil Nadu
Geographic Coordinates: 12.831000, 80.045900
Temperature Range: 20.0°C to 35.0°C (68°F to 95°F)
Climate: Tropical climate with monsoon season from October to December and hot temperatures throughout the year in Tambaram, India.
Tambaram is a bustling suburb located in the southern part of Chennai, India. It is situated around 27 km away from the city center and is well-connected with other parts of Chennai through various modes of transportation. Tambaram has grown rapidly over the years and has become an important hub for trade, Commerce, Education, And healthcare. One of the main attractions in Tambaram is its railway station which serves as a major junction connecting Chennai with other cities in Tamil Nadu. The station sees heavy footfall every day with commuters travelling to and from different parts of the state.
The station also has numerous shops selling everything from snacks to clothing making it a busy place throughout the day. Tambaram also boasts several educational institutions including prestigious colleges like Madras Christian College and Sree Balaji Medical College & Hospital. These institutions attract students not only from different parts of India but also from abroad providing an international flavor to this vibrant suburb. Apart from education, Tambaram is home to several hospitals including Sri Ramachandra Medical Centre which provides world-class medical facilities to people across Tamil Nadu.
This hospital attracts patients locally as well as internationally due to its reputation for providing quality care at affordable prices. Another attraction in Tambaram is its bustling marketplaces where one can find everything ranging from fresh produce to clothes at affordable prices. The marketplaces are especially popular during festivals when they offer special discounts on various items making it a shopper’s paradise. Tambaram’s proximity to various tourist destinations like Mahabalipuram Beach and Kanchipuram Temple makes it an ideal base for tourists visiting these places.
With its excellent connectivity via roadways and railways, Visitors can easily reach these destinations without any hassle while enjoying all that Tambaram has to offer along the way. Tambaram offers something for everyone – be it students looking for quality education or tourists seeking adventure or shoppers looking for great deals on products – making it a vibrant and exciting place to visit. Its rich cultural heritage, Excellent educational institutions, World-class healthcare facilities, Bustling marketplaces and proximity to various tourist destinations make Tambaram a must-visit destination in Chennai.
- Tambaram Railway Station – This is one of the busiest railway stations in Chennai and serves as a major transportation hub.
- Sri Krishna Temple – This temple dedicated to Lord Krishna attracts devotees from all over the city.
- Madras Christian College – One of the oldest and most prestigious colleges in India, this institution has produced many famous alumni.
- Tambaram Air Force Station – The Indian Air Force operates from this military base located near Tambaram.
- Selaiyur Lake – A beautiful lake surrounded by greenery and walking paths; it’s a popular spot for locals to relax and unwind.
- Mudichur Lake – Another scenic lake that offers boating facilities and bird watching opportunities.
- Kishkinta Theme Park – A popular amusement park with rides, water slides, and other attractions for families to enjoy.
- Arignar Anna Zoological Park (Vandalur Zoo) – Located around 12 km from Tambaram this zoo houses various species of animals including tigers, lions, elephants etc.,
- Mahindra World City – Located around 20 km from Tambaram this integrated business city offers various facilities like entertainment zones etc.,
- Information Technology (IT) – Tambaram has become an IT hub with numerous software companies establishing their offices in the area.
- Manufacturing – The locality is home to many small and medium scale manufacturing units that produce textiles, plastic products, and machinery parts.
- Healthcare – Tambaram has a plethora of hospitals, clinics, and diagnostic centers catering to the healthcare needs of the local population.
- Education – There are many schools, colleges, and universities in Tambaram providing education to students from different parts of Chennai.
- Retail – The area is dotted with supermarkets, malls, and retail outlets selling various consumer goods.
- Hospitality – Tourists visiting Chennai can find accommodation at the hotels and restaurants present in Tambaram.
- Real estate – Due to its proximity to Chennai city center along with good connectivity through roadways and railways; real estate development also flourishes here as a significant industry in Tambaram.
- Tambaram Air Force Station is located in Tambaram and was established by the British during World War II in 1942.
- The Great Indian Peninsular Railway operated in India from 1849 to 1951 and had a major railway station at Tambaram.
- The Dravidian movement, which aimed at creating a separate Tamil Nadu state, had its roots in Tambaram where C.N Annadurai, one of the founders of the movement and later Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu lived for some time.
- Sri Ramakrishna Math is a religious organization founded by Swami Vivekananda with a branch located in Tambaram.
- S.S.L.C Institute (now known as Sankara Nethralaya Academy) offers courses in optometry and ophthalmic technology as an educational institution.
- Kishore Kumar was a famous Bollywood playback singer and actor who lived briefly in Tambaram during his early career days.
- Ramanujan Museum & Math Education Centre is dedicated to Srinivasa Ramanujan, one of India’s greatest mathematicians who made significant contributions to number theory and analysis.
- Madras Christian College (MCC) is one of India’s oldest colleges with its main campus located near Chennai city but also has an extension campus located near West Tambaram called MCC Higher Secondary School Campus.
- Sri Krishna Temple
- Tambaram Air Force Station Museum
- St. Thomas Mount National Shrine
- Government Museum, Chennai
- DakshinaChitra Cultural Centre
- Mahabalipuram Monuments
- Cholamandal Artists’ Village
- Valluvar Kottam Monument
- Fort St George
- Madras Crocodile Bank Trust and Centre for Herpetology
- Pongal – A four-day harvest festival celebrated in January.
- Diwali – The festival of lights celebrated in October or November.
- Navaratri – A nine-day festival dedicated to the worship of Goddess Durga.
- Vinayaka Chaturthi – A ten-day festival celebrating Lord Ganesha’s birthday.
- Christmas – Celebrated on December 25th by Christians across India.
- Tamil New Year’s Day (Puthandu) – Celebrated on April 14th every year by Tamils all over the world.
- Karthigai Deepam – Festival of Lights celebrated during November/December months at Sri Subramanya Swamy Temple located at East Tambaram.
Please note that this list is not exhaustive but provides a fair idea about some popular cultural events and festivals that usually happen in Tambaram, India each year based on my research data available online as well as offline sources before COVID-19 pandemic hit the world last year (2020).
- Known for its spicy and aromatic flavors
- Popular dishes include chicken chettinad, mutton chukka, and fish fry
South Indian breakfast:
- Many restaurants in Tambaram serve delicious south Indian breakfast items like idli, dosa, vada, and pongal
- Popular dish in Tambaram with many different varieties including chicken biriyani, mutton biriyani and vegetable biriyani
Popular restaurants in Tambaram:
Anjappar Chettinad Restaurant:
- Serves authentic Chettinad cuisine with a variety of non-vegetarian dishes
Hotel Saravana Bhavan:
- Vegetarian restaurant that serves delicious south Indian food including dosas and idlis
- Famous for its mouth-watering biriyanis which are cooked using traditional methods
- Fast-food chain that serves burgers, sandwiches, pizzas etc.
Vasantha Bhavan Hotel:
- Vegetarian restaurant that offers a wide variety of South Indian delicacies along with North Indian dishes as well as Chinese Cuisine
- Gandhi Park is a recreational area located in the heart of Tambaram that offers various activities like jogging, walking, cycling, and sports.
- Selaiyur Park is situated near the Selaiyur Police Station and provides facilities for playing cricket, football, basketball, volleyball and badminton.
- Kishkinta Theme Park is one of Chennai’s largest amusement parks with numerous rides and attractions suitable for all ages.
- Tambaram Sanatorium Lake has boating facilities that allow visitors to enjoy a peaceful ride on its serene waters.
- Madras Christian College Grounds offer sports amenities such as cricket, football and hockey fields that are open to the public during non-college hours.
- Tambaram Air Force Station Golf Course is an 18-hole golf course open to civilians on weekdays with prior permission from Indian Air Force authorities.
- Mudichur Lake provides an ideal spot for bird watching enthusiasts who can spot various migratory birds during winter months.
- Chennai Trekking Club organizes trekking expeditions around Tambaram area where hikers can explore scenic trails amidst nature’s beauty.
- Tambaram Velankanni Church Grounds have a large playground where locals gather to play cricket or soccer games.
- Tambaram Railway Station has been recently renovated with modern amenities like air-conditioned waiting rooms, clean washrooms etc. It also has food stalls selling local delicacies like vada pav, samosas etc which are popular among commuters passing through this station.