Yamoussoukro, Côte d’Ivoire
Geographic Coordinates: 6.816100, -5.274200
Temperature Range: 20.0°C to 35.0°C (68°F to 95°F)
Climate: Tropical climate with rainy and dry seasons.
Yamoussoukro, Located in West Africa, Is the political and administrative capital of Côte d’Ivoire. The city spans over 3, 500 square kilometers and was declared as the country’s capital in 1983, Replacing Abidjan which remains its economic capital. The city has a rich history and culture dating back to pre-colonial times when it was a small village inhabited by the Baoulé people. Félix Houphouët-Boigny transformed Yamoussoukro into a modern city during his tenure as Côte d’Ivoire’s first president from 1960 until his death in 1993.
Houphouët-Boigny invested heavily in Yamoussokro’s development and built several impressive structures such as the Basilica of Our Lady of Peace which is one of Africa’s largest churches. The Presidential Palace complex houses government offices, Museums dedicated to African art history, And an executive residence for visiting heads-of-state. Yamoussokro has several parks, Gardens that are popular with locals and tourists alike such as La Vridi Canal Park. Visitors can also enjoy its vibrant local culture by exploring its museums or dining at local restaurants.
The Félix Houphouët-Boigny Foundation for Peace Research aims to promote peace and development in Africa through research, Education, And advocacy. Overall Yamoussokeo is an impressive destination for anyone traveling to Côte d’Ivoire or West Africa due to its grand landmarks reflecting its grandeur along with cultural experiences available throughout the city.
- Basilica of Our Lady of Peace – This is the largest church in the world and one of the most famous landmarks in Yamoussoukro.
- Presidential Palace – The Presidential Palace in Yamoussoukro is a beautiful building that serves as the official residence of the President of Côte d’Ivoire.
- Lac aux Caïmans – This lake is located near Yamoussoukro and is a popular tourist attraction because it has many crocodiles that visitors can see up close.
- Mosque du Vendredi – This mosque was built in 1984 and is one of the largest mosques in West Africa.
- Parc National de la Marahoué – This national park is located near Yamoussoukro and has many different species of animals that visitors can see on safari tours.
- Hotel Président Golf Club – This hotel has a golf course and other amenities for tourists to enjoy while visiting Yamoussoukro.
- Stade Félix Houphouët-Boigny – This stadium was built for the 1984 African Cup of Nations, and it can hold up to 35,000 spectators during events like football matches or concerts.
- Yamoussoukro is the political capital of Côte d’Ivoire.
- The region produces cocoa, coffee, palm oil, rubber and cotton.
- The city has notable industries including agriculture, tourism, government services, education, and banking.
- The city is home to popular tourist attractions like the Basilica of Our Lady of Peace and the Presidential Palace.
- Yamoussoukro houses government offices and agencies as it serves as the country’s political capital.
- The city boasts several universities such as Felix Houphouet-Boigny University and Institut National Polytechnique Houphouët-Boigny.
- There are several banks operating in Yamoussoukro such as Société Générale de Banques en Côte d’Ivoire (SGBCI) and Banque Atlantique Cote d’Ivoire (BACI).
- Basilica of Our Lady of Peace: This is the largest church in the world and a must-visit attraction in Yamoussoukro.
- Presidential Palace: The Presidential Palace is a grand structure that showcases the wealth and power of Ivory Coast’s political elite.
- Fondation Felix Houphouet-Boigny pour la Recherche de la Paix: This museum promotes peace, democracy, and development in Africa.
- Yamoussoukro Museum of Contemporary Art: This museum features an impressive collection of contemporary African art from renowned artists on the continent.
- Lac aux Caïmans: A beautiful lake located just outside Yamoussoukro where visitors can enjoy boating, fishing, and birdwatching.
- L’Hotel President Wilson Yamasssokoro Golf Club: A luxurious hotel with an adjacent golf course that offers stunning views over the city.
- Parc National de la Comoé: Located just outside Yamoussoukro, this national park offers opportunities for wildlife viewing and hiking through pristine forests and savannahs.
- La Pyramide Hotel Casino & Spa: A popular hotel with a casino, spa, restaurants, and bars that offer visitors plenty of entertainment options during their stay in Yamoussokoro.
- Yamoussoukro does not have any major sports teams or significant sports history.
- However, there are amateur local teams that play various sports such as football (soccer), basketball, and volleyball.
- These teams mostly compete in regional tournaments.
- They do not have a national or international presence.
- Yamoussoukro Festival of Arts and Culture: This festival celebrates the rich cultural heritage of Côte d’Ivoire through music, dance, art, and food.
- Fête de l’Indépendance: This national holiday celebrates Côte d’Ivoire’s independence from France on August 7th.
- Yamoussoukro International Film Festival: This annual film festival showcases local and international films in various categories.
- Yamoussoukro Fashion Week: This event highlights the latest fashion trends in Côte d’Ivoire and brings together designers, models, and fashion enthusiasts from across the country.
- Yamoussokro Carnival: A colorful parade featuring traditional dancers, musicians, acrobats, clowns as well as floats with themes that reflect the country’s culture.
- National Day of Peace and Reconciliation: Held annually on November 15th to promote unity among different ethnic groups in Côte d’Ivoire after years of political turmoil.
- Yamoussokro Jazz Festival – a musical event featuring jazz musicians from around the world.
- International Agriculture Fair – showcasing agricultural products from all over West Africa.
- National Cocoa Day – a day dedicated to celebrating one of Cote D’Ivoire’s biggest exports.
- Yamoussokro Marathon – an annual sporting event that attracts runners from all over West Africa.
- Attiéké: Grilled cassava served with fish or meat.
- Garba: A spicy rice dish made with vegetables and meat.
- Alloco: Fried plantains served with a spicy tomato sauce.
- Kedjenou: A chicken stew cooked in a sealed pot with vegetables and spices.
- La Terrasse: A restaurant that serves Ivorian and French cuisine.
- Le Biniou: A restaurant that specializes in seafood dishes like grilled fish, shrimp, and lobster.
- Le Baobab: A popular spot for traditional Ivorian dishes like attiéké, garba, kedjenou, and more.
- Chez Lagoa: Another restaurant that serves local Ivorian cuisine like grilled fish, alloco, garba etc.
- Le Gourmet Africain: This restaurant offers both African and European cuisine options including seafood platters of prawns or lobster tails as well as local staples such as fufu or jollof rice.
- Maison de la Paix : This hotel’s on-site restaurant features a mix of international dishes alongside regional specialties such as braised goat leg or grilled tilapia.
- The Presidential Palace Gardens are a serene and peaceful environment located within the Presidential Palace complex, offering visitors a chance to relax and enjoy nature’s beauty.
- The Basilica of Our Lady of Peace is one of the world’s largest churches that can hold up to 18,000 people. Visitors can take tours of the church, walk around its beautiful gardens or attend mass.
- Lac aux Caïmans (Alligator Lake) is a popular spot for fishing and boating activities in Yamoussoukro. Visitors can rent boats or canoes from local vendors or simply relax by the lakefront.
- Parc National de la Comoé is about 200 km from Yamoussoukro and offers visitors an opportunity to see wildlife such as elephants, lions, hippos, and antelopes in their natural habitat.
- La Pyramide Hotel has one of West Africa’s largest swimming pools open to both guests and non-guests alike.
- Stade Félix Houphouët-Boigny hosts various sporting events including football matches which are popular among locals.
- Golf Club de Yamoussoukro offers an 18-hole course with beautiful scenery that will make your golfing experience unforgettable for golf enthusiasts visiting Yamoussoukro!