Geographic Coordinates: 24.750000, 121.750000
Temperature Range: 18.0°C to 32.0°C (64°F to 90°F)
Climate: Yilan has a subtropical climate with hot and humid summers, and mild winters with occasional rainfall.
Yilan is a stunning county located in the northeast of Taiwan, Known for its natural beauty, Hot springs, Night markets, And traditional Taiwanese culture. It has a population of approximately 460, 000 people and covers an area of 2, 143 square kilometers. One of the top attractions in Yilan is Dongshan River Water Park. Visitors can swim or go tubing down the crystal-clear river that flows through rock formations. The park also offers walking trails with breathtaking views of the mountains. Jiaoxi Hot Springs is another must-visit destination in Yilan.
These natural hot springs have been used for centuries by locals to relax and rejuvenate their bodies while enjoying scenic mountain views. For those interested in Taiwanese culture, Yilan has several museums worth visiting such as National Center for Traditional Arts featuring exhibits on traditional crafts like pottery making & weaving while Lanyang Museum highlights local history & culture through interactive exhibits.
Yilan’s numerous night markets like Luodong Night Market or Dongmen Night Market offer delicious street food options including stinky tofu (a fermented tofu dish), Oyster omelets (an egg dish with fresh oysters), Fried chicken cutlets (Taiwanese-style fried chicken) among others. Nature enthusiasts will enjoy hiking trails throughout Yilan where they can explore lush forests filled with rare flora & fauna while taking in panoramic mountain views along the way. Overall – whether you’re seeking adventure or relaxation – Yilan has something to offer everyone.
Its stunning natural beauty coupled with rich cultural heritage and delicious food scene make it a popular destination for both locals and tourists alike.
- Luodong Night Market
- National Center for Traditional Arts
- Jimmy Park
- Yilan Dongmen Night Market
- Wufengchi Waterfall
- Jiaoxi Hot Springs
- Lanyang Museum
- Su’ao Cold Spring
- Toucheng Old Street
- Yilan Sports Park
The Major Industries and Businesses in Yilan, Taiwan
Yilan is known for its fertile soil and favorable climate for growing crops such as:
- Tea leaves
- Fruits (such as guava and pomelo)
- Vegetables (such as onions and garlic)
- Flowers (such as lilies)
- Other agricultural products
Yilan is a popular tourist destination due to its:
- Natural beauty
- Hot springs resorts
- Cultural attractions (such as the National Center for Traditional Arts)
- Night markets (such as Luodong Night Market)
- Beaches (such as Wai’ao Beach)
- Hiking trails (such as Caoling Historic Trail)
- Other recreational activities
Yilan has a strong manufacturing industry that produces:
- Electronic components
- Machinery parts
- Plastic products
- Food processing equipment
- Construction materials like tiles etc.
Fishing is also an important industry in Yilan. The county’s coastline provides abundant seafood resources such as squid or cuttlefish which are exported all over the world.
- The establishment of Yilan City in 1780 during the Qing Dynasty.
- The arrival of Japanese colonial rule in 1895, which lasted until the end of World War II.
- The creation of National Yilan Senior High School in 1948, which has produced numerous distinguished alumni, including former President Ma Ying-jeou.
- The opening of Luodong Night Market in 1987, one of Taiwan’s largest and most popular night markets.
- Recent developments such as the construction of Wufengqi Scenic Area and Lanyang Museum to promote tourism and preserve cultural heritage.
- Some noteworthy individuals from Yilan include San Mao (Echo Chan), a writer who gained fame for her travel writing and romance novels; Jay Chou, a musician who was born and raised in Taipei but has family roots in Yilan; and Lin Chuan, a politician who served as Premier under President Tsai Ing-wen from 2016-2017.
- National Center for Traditional Arts: This cultural center showcases the traditional arts and crafts of Taiwan, including puppetry, music, dance, and more.
- Yilan Distillery Chia Chi Lan Wine Museum: This museum is dedicated to the history of wine-making in Taiwan and offers visitors a chance to taste some of the local wines.
- Luodong Forestry Culture Park: This park features a number of exhibits related to forestry and woodcrafts in Taiwan.
- Yilan Museum of Art: This modern art museum features works by both local and international artists.
- Dongshan River Water Park: Visitors can enjoy kayaking, biking, hiking trails along with beautiful scenery here.
- Jimmy Square (Jimei Square): A popular tourist destination featuring a variety of shops selling souvenirs and local products.
- Wufengchi Waterfall Scenic Area: A stunning waterfall surrounded by lush greenery that is perfect for hiking or picnicking nearby.
- Lanyang Museum: Visitors can learn about the history and culture of Yilan through interactive exhibits at this museum located on a hill overlooking the city.
- King Car Kavalan Distillery: A distillery that produces award-winning whiskey in Yilan County’s Yuanshan Township
- Jin Che Biotechnology Farm : The farm offers you an opportunity to experience agricultural life firsthand while learning about organic farming methods
- Yulon Luxgen Dinos – This basketball team was founded in 1998 and is based in Luodong Township, Yilan County. The team has won several championships over the years, including the Super Basketball League (SBL) championship six times.
- Fu Jen Catholic University – This university has a strong tradition of athletics and offers various sports programs to its students. Its men’s basketball team is one of the best in Taiwan and has won several national championships.
- National Ilan University – This university also offers various sports programs to its students, including basketball, volleyball, soccer, tennis, table tennis, badminton and taekwondo.
- Yilan County Baseball Team – Baseball is one of the most popular sports in Taiwan and Yilan County also has its own baseball team that competes at different levels.
Overall, Yilan County takes pride for producing many talented athletes who have represented Taiwan at international events like Olympics or Asian games etc.
- Yilan International Children’s Folklore and Folkgame Festival
- Yilan Green Expo
- Yilan Dongshan River Water Festival
- Luodong Night Market International Food Festival
- Yuanshan Orchid Show
- Jiaoxi Hot Spring Cultural Festival
- Toucheng Old Street Culture and Arts Festival
- National Center for Traditional Arts Festivals (various throughout the year)
- Wufongci Scenic Area Cherry Blossom Season
- Yilan International Film Festival
- Luodong Night Market – famous for its street food such as grilled squid, oyster omelets, and stinky tofu.
- Yilan Green Onion Pancake – a crispy pancake filled with green onions and served with soy sauce.
- Dongmen Traditional Cake Shop – known for its handmade rice cakes and mochi.
- Suho Memorial Paper Museum Cafe – offers delicious coffee and desserts in a beautiful setting surrounded by paper art.
- Shangrila Leisure Farm Restaurant – serves organic farm-to-table dishes made with fresh ingredients from the farm.
- Wufengqi Waterfall Scenic Area Food Court – offers local specialties such as wild boar meatballs, bamboo rice, and sweet potato balls.
- King Car Kavalan Distillery Restaurant – serves gourmet meals paired with award-winning Kavalan whiskey made in Yilan.
- Lanyang Museum Cafe & Restaurant – offers fusion cuisine using locally sourced ingredients that reflect the culture of Yilan County.
- Luodong Sports Park offers a range of recreational activities, including basketball, tennis, and jogging trails.
- Dongshan River Water Park features water slides, wave pools, and other water-based activities.
- Yilan Riverside Park is a scenic park with bike paths, walking trails, and picnic areas along the riverbank.
- Wufengchi Waterfall Scenic Area is a natural attraction with hiking trails leading to several waterfalls.
- Taiping Mountain Forest Recreation Area offers hiking trails through lush forests and stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
- Fushan Botanical Garden is home to over 2,000 species of plants from around the world.
- National Center for Traditional Arts showcases traditional Taiwanese arts and crafts through exhibitions and performances.
- Jiaoxi Hot Springs Park provides hot spring baths for relaxation purposes.
- Lanyang Museum exhibits artifacts related to Yilan’s local history.
- Mingchi Forest Recreation Area offers camping sites amidst beautiful scenery.