Region: Atyraū Oblast
Geographic Coordinates: 47.116700, 51.883300
Temperature Range: -40.0°C to 40.0°C (-40°F to 104°F)
Climate: Cold winters and hot summers with a semi-arid climate.
Atyrau, Also known as Atyraū, Is a city located in the western region of Kazakhstan. It is situated on the banks of the Ural River and is considered an important industrial and economic center of Kazakhstan. The city has a rich history that dates back to ancient times when it was inhabited by nomadic tribes. One of the most significant features of Atyrau is its oil and gas industry. The discovery of oil in the region during the early 20th century transformed Atyrau into a thriving hub for petroleum extraction, Refining, And transportation.
Today, It remains one of Kazakhstan’s main oil-producing regions with several major international companies operating in the area. The city has a diverse population with many ethnic groups living together harmoniously. Kazakhs make up the majority while other minority groups such as Russians, Ukrainians, Uzbeks and Tatars also call Atyrau home. Atyrau boasts many cultural landmarks that showcase its unique blend of traditional Kazakh culture and modern architecture. One such landmark is Zhilgorodok – an old Russian settlement that dates back to 1911 which now houses several museums dedicated to local history and culture.
Another notable attraction in Atyrau is its beautiful parks which are popular spots for locals to relax or exercise. Central Park offers stunning views across Ural River while Victory Park commemorates those who lost their lives during World War II. In addition to its natural beauty and cultural attractions, Atyrau also has a vibrant nightlife scene with many bars, Clubs and restaurants catering to all tastes from traditional Kazakh cuisine through Italian pizza joints or Chinese takeaways – there’s something for everyone!
Overall, Atyrau provides visitors with an exciting mix of historical landmarks alongside modern amenities making it one destination not-to-be-missed when visiting Kazakhstan!
- Atyrau Bridge: a contemporary suspension bridge spanning the Ural River.
- Zhilgorodok Mosque: a stunning mosque with distinct architecture.
- Atyrau City Park: a well-liked park boasting gorgeous gardens and playgrounds for kids.
- Atyrau Museum of Local Lore: an exhibition hall showcasing the history and culture of the region.
- Beyneu-Aktau Highway: a scenic route through Kazakhstan’s desert landscape.
- The Ural River Embankment: a picturesque pathway along the river offering breathtaking views.
- Central Mosque of Atyrau: one of Kazakhstan’s largest mosques.
- Victory Park: this park is dedicated to World War II veterans and features monuments and memorials honoring their sacrifices.
- Kenesary Khan Monument: located in front of City Hall, this statue honors Kenesary Khan, an important Kazakh leader.
- Nurzhol Boulevard – this modern pedestrian boulevard features fountains, sculptures, and cafes for visitors to enjoy while exploring downtown Atyrau.
- Atyrau, Kazakhstan is known for its oil and gas industry.
- Major companies operating in Atyrau include:
- Other industries present in Atyrau include:
- The city was founded in the 17th century as a small fortress on the Ural River.
- During World War II, Atyrau served as an important transportation hub for Soviet troops and supplies.
- In 1960, oil was discovered in the region leading to a boom in industrial development and population growth.
- Notable people from Atyrau include Mukhtar Altynbayev, former Minister of Defense of Kazakhstan; Kairat Kelimbetov, former Governor of the National Bank of Kazakhstan; and Gulzhana Karagusova, Olympic bronze medalist in weightlifting.
- In recent years, Atyrau has become an important center for oil production and refining in Kazakhstan with several major companies operating in the region including Chevron and KazMunayGas.
- Atyrau City History Museum
- Atyrau Art Gallery
- Embankment of the Ural River
- Zhilgorodok Mosque
- Zharyk Museum of Local Lore and Nature Reserve
- The White Mosque
- Kenesary Khan Monument
- Nurzhol Boulevard
- Atyrau Central Park
- Victory Park and Eternal Flame Monument
- FC Akzhayik – This professional football club was established in 1960 as Uralochka before changing its name to Akzhayik in 1992. The team mostly plays in lower divisions of Kazakhstani football but has occasionally appeared in the Premier League.
- BC Atyrau – This professional basketball club was founded in 2006 and participates in the Kazakhstan Basketball Championship.
- HC Barys Astana-2 – This ice hockey team operates under HC Barys Astana but is based out of Atyrau and primarily competes at lower levels of Kazakhstani ice hockey.
- Kaisar Kyzylorda-2 – Another football club headquartered out of Kyzylorda that occasionally utilizes facilities located within or around Atyrau for training or matches.
Overall, sports do not have a significant cultural impact on life within Atyrau compared to other regions across Central Asia such as Uzbekistan or Kyrgyzstan where wrestling is highly popular among locals while other countries like Mongolia where horse racing holds great significance to their culture and identity.
- Nauryz is a traditional spring festival celebrated on March 21st every year.
- Atyrau Day is a celebration of the city’s founding, held annually on August 10th.
- Kurban Ait is a Muslim holiday that marks the end of the annual Hajj pilgrimage, usually celebrated in August or September.
- Victory Day commemorates the Soviet Union’s victory over Nazi Germany in World War II and is held on May 9th each year.
- International Women’s Day is celebrated annually on March 8th with various events and activities throughout the city.
- Astana EXPO-2017 was an international exhibition held in Astana from June to September 2017 with participation from over 100 countries, including Kazakhstan and its regions like Atyrau.
- Eurasia International Film Festival is an annual event that takes place in Almaty but attended by people from all over Kazakhstan including Atyrau residents which showcases films from across Asia and Europe.
These are some of the cultural events and festivals celebrated not only in Atyrau but also across Kazakhstan where people come together to celebrate their traditions and culture with enthusiasm and joyfulness.
- Beshbarmak – a traditional Kazakh dish made with boiled meat (usually lamb or beef) served on top of flat noodles and accompanied by onions and potatoes. It is a staple food in Atyrau.
- Shashlik – grilled skewered meat (usually lamb or beef) marinated in spices and served with bread, vegetables, and sometimes rice.
- Lagman – a spicy noodle soup made with vegetables, meat, and spices.
- Kebab House – a popular restaurant that serves shashlik, kebab, beshbarmak, lagman as well as other Kazakh dishes.
- Adai Cafe – another popular restaurant that serves traditional Kazakh food such as beshbarmak, manty (steamed dumplings), shashlik and more.
- Satti Restaurant – one of the oldest restaurants in Atyrau that offers a wide range of European dishes along with local cuisine like beshbarmak.
- Kishlak Restaurant – this restaurant specializes in Uzbek cuisine but also offers some Kazakh dishes like shashlik and lagman.
- Dastarkhan Café – this café offers traditional Kazakh snacks like samsa (meat-filled pastries), chebureki (deep-fried turnovers), pirozhki (stuffed buns) along with tea or coffee to locals who want to grab something on-the-go without spending too much money at fancy restaurants.
- Central Park – a large park with walking paths, playgrounds, and sports facilities.
- Victory Park – a park dedicated to World War II veterans with monuments and memorials.
- Atyrau City Beach – a popular spot for swimming and sunbathing on the banks of the Ural River.
- Atyrau Botanical Garden – a beautiful garden with various plant species from around the world.
- Ice Palace Barys – an indoor ice skating rink that hosts hockey games and figure skating competitions.
- Bowling Center Strike – a bowling alley with multiple lanes for family-friendly fun.
- Cinema Atyrau – a movie theater showing both local and international films.
- Sports Complex Zhetysu – a multi-purpose sports complex that offers basketball, volleyball, tennis courts, and more.
- Children’s Amusement Park Kidzania – an amusement park designed for children to learn about different professions through role-playing activities.
- Tennis Academy “Tennis Pro” – Tennis school where you can rent courts or take lessons from professional coaches.