Geographic Coordinates: 29.477400, 119.285000
Temperature Range: -20.0°C to 35.0°C (-4°F to 95°F)
Baisha is a charming town located in the northwestern part of Yunnan province, China. The town sits at an altitude of 2, 400 meters above sea level and has a population of around 20, 000 people. Baisha was once the capital of the Naxi Kingdom during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) and is renowned for its rich cultural heritage. One of Baisha’s most famous tourist attractions is the Baisha Murals. These beautiful murals were painted on walls inside temples and houses during the Ming Dynasty by Han Chinese and Naxi artists.
The murals depict scenes from daily life, Religion, Mythology, And history. They are considered to be some of the best-preserved examples of traditional Chinese art in existence today. Another popular attraction in Baisha is Dabaoji Palace which dates back to the Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368). The palace served as a residence for local rulers during different periods throughout history. It features intricate carvings on its pillars, Beams, Doors, And windows that showcase traditional Naxi architectural styles.
Baisha also boasts several other temples worth visiting such as Liuli Temple which features beautiful frescoes depicting Buddhist stories; Wenchang Temple which honors Confucius; Fuguo Temple which dates back to 1601; and Shizhong Temple which houses a statue made from white marble that depicts Confucius. In addition to its cultural heritage sites, Baisha also offers breathtaking natural scenery such as Jade Dragon Snow Mountain that can be seen from many parts of town.
This mountain range stretches over 35 kilometers long with peaks reaching up to 5, 596 meters above sea level making it one of China’s most impressive natural wonders. For those interested in learning more about Naxi culture there are several opportunities available including attending traditional music performances or visiting local markets where you can purchase handicrafts made by local artisans. Overall, Baisha is a must-visit destination for anyone interested in Chinese history, Culture, And natural beauty. Its unique blend of cultural heritage sites and stunning natural scenery make it a truly unforgettable experience.
- Baisha Murals: These ancient paintings depict daily life scenes, religious stories, and historical events.
- Dabaoji Palace: Built during the Ming Dynasty, this palace has intricate architecture that is a sight to behold.
- Jade Dragon Snow Mountain: This majestic mountain range offers stunning views and outdoor activities like hiking and skiing.
- Lijiang Old Town: As a UNESCO World Heritage Site, this ancient town features traditional architecture, canals, narrow streets lined with shops and restaurants.
- Shuhe Ancient Town: Another ancient town near Baisha that offers insight into traditional Chinese culture with its temples, markets, historic buildings.
- Black Dragon Pool Park: A scenic park featuring a large pond surrounded by lush greenery and pavilions.
- Yufeng Temple: A Buddhist temple dating back to the Qing Dynasty with intricate carvings and statues of deities.
- Wangu Pavilion: Located on top of a hill overlooking Lijiang Old Town for panoramic views of the surrounding area.
- Dongba Culture Museum：A museum dedicated to preserving Naxi people’s culture who live in the region around Baisha
- Tiger Leaping Gorge：A natural wonder located near Lijiang Old Town where visitors can hike along steep cliffs overlooking rushing rapids below
- Baisha is a county located in the Yunnan province of China.
- The region boasts several thriving industries and businesses that contribute significantly to its economy.
- Agriculture is one of the primary industries in Baisha, with crops such as rice, wheat, corn, and potatoes being grown here.
- The fertile land and favorable climate make it an ideal location for farming.
- Tourism is another major industry in Baisha, with several popular attractions like Jade Dragon Snow Mountain and Lijiang Old Town drawing a large number of tourists every year.
- This has led to the growth of the service sector in recent years, including hospitality services like hotels and restaurants as well as tour operators.
- Traditional handicrafts are also an important part of Baisha’s economy.
- The county is famous for its embroidery and weaving techniques that have been passed down through generations.
- Mining activities are prevalent in Baisha too, with several mines extracting minerals such as gold, silver, copper, and lead from the area.
- Additionally, there are small-scale manufacturing units producing textiles, furniture items, household goods among others.
- Overall agriculture remains one of the most significant contributors to Baishan’s economy while tourism has emerged as an essential industry over time due to increased domestic & international visitors flocking to Lijiang Old town & Jade Dragon Snow mountain area under this county’s jurisdiction.
- Baisha, China is a historic town situated in the Yunnan province.
- It has been associated with several significant historical events and people.
- These include the Baisha Murals, which are a collection of paintings dating back to the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644).
- They depict various scenes from everyday life, religion, and politics.
- The Naxi People are another notable aspect of Baisha’s history.
- They are an ethnic minority group that has lived in the area for centuries.
- The Naxi have their own unique language, culture, and traditions.
- Another remarkable feature of Baisha is the Mu Family Mansion – a vast complex of buildings that was once home to one of the wealthiest families in the area during the Qing Dynasty (1644-1912).
- Joseph Rock was an American botanist who made his home in Baisha during the early 20th century.
- He documented many aspects of Naxi culture and contributed significantly to our understanding of local flora and fauna.
- The Dongba Culture is yet another fascinating aspect associated with some members of Baisha’s Naxi community.
- It is a blend of animism, shamanism, and Buddhism.
- White Water Terrace is a natural wonder located just outside Baisha consisting of terraced pools filled with crystal-clear water.
- Lastly, Jade Dragon Snow Mountain looms over Baisha and holds great significance for many locals due to its association with Tibetan Buddhism.
- Overall, through trade, religion artistry cultural exchange between different ethnic groups over many centuries; Baishai played an essential role in Chinese history as a center for these activities.
- The Baisha Murals are a collection of Buddhist paintings that date back to the Ming Dynasty and depict scenes from Buddhist mythology and daily life in ancient China.
- Yufeng Temple, located in the beautiful Yufeng Village, was built during the Ming Dynasty and is dedicated to Guanyin, the goddess of mercy.
- Jade Dragon Snow Mountain is a mountain range north of Baisha that offers breathtaking views of snow-capped peaks, glaciers, and alpine meadows.
- Lijiang Ancient Town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site just south of Baisha that features traditional Naxi architecture, canals, bridges, and narrow streets lined with shops selling local handicrafts.
- Black Dragon Pool Park is located just outside Lijiang Ancient Town and boasts a crystal-clear pool surrounded by lush greenery with snow-capped mountains as its backdrop.
- The Dongba Cultural Museum showcases the culture of the Naxi people who live in this region through exhibits on their history, language, religion, art music dance etc.
- Shuhe Ancient Town is about 10 km from Lijiang Ancient Town and has preserved its original look from ancient times with wooden houses lining cobblestone streets making it ideal for leisurely strolls or shopping for souvenirs or local food specialties such as yak meat dishes etc.
- The Spruce Plateau (Yunshanping) situated on Jade Dragon Snow Mountain offers panoramic views of surrounding mountains while visitors can enjoy tea at one of several teahouses dotting this area’s landscapes.
- The Naxi Embroidery Institute allows visitors to learn about traditional embroidery techniques used by women artisans who have been practicing these skills for centuries.
- The Baisha Naxi Music and Dance School offers classes in traditional Naxi music & dance forms like Dongjing & Baisha Xiyue unique to this region where visitors can attend performances or even take a class themselves.
- Lahu Torch Festival – This festival is celebrated by the Lahu ethnic minority group and involves lighting torches to drive away evil spirits.
- Dongba Cultural Festival – This festival celebrates the Dongba culture of the Naxi people and includes traditional music performances, dance shows, and exhibitions of Dongba art.
- Baisha Murals Festival – This festival showcases the ancient murals found in Baisha village and includes guided tours of the murals as well as cultural performances.
- Naxi Ancient Music Festival – This festival features performances of traditional Naxi music by local musicians dressed in colorful costumes.
- Jade Dragon Snow Mountain International Music Festival – Held annually at Jade Dragon Snow Mountain near Baisha village, this music festival features both Chinese and international musicians performing a variety of genres including classical music, jazz, rock, and pop.
- Naxi-style dishes:
- Yak meat hotpot
- Baba (a type of flatbread)
- Yimeng Doufu (tofu made from soybeans)
- Xinhua Restaurant: This restaurant serves traditional Chinese cuisine with a focus on Yunnan Province specialties.
- Laomuzhi Restaurant: This restaurant specializes in Naxi-style dishes such as Yak meat hotpot and Baba.
- Lijiang Shuhe Old Town Snacks Street: Located nearby Baisha County, this street is famous for its variety of street food such as grilled fish and rice cakes.
- Jiujiu’s House Restaurant: This restaurant offers a fusion of Western and Chinese cuisines with a cozy atmosphere.
- Ama’s Home Restaurant: Ama’s Home serves authentic home-cooked meals that reflect the local culture of Baisha County.
- Xuehua Village Cafe & Bar: Located in the scenic Xuehua Village near Baisha County, this cafe offers stunning views while serving coffee and light snacks to tourists who visit the area for hiking or sightseeing purposes.
- Lijiang Old Town – a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Jade Dragon Snow Mountain – a scenic area with hiking trails and cable car rides
- Yufeng Temple – a Buddhist temple with beautiful architecture and gardens
- Black Dragon Pool Park – a park with traditional Chinese architecture, ponds, and gardens
- Baisha Murals – ancient murals depicting Tibetan Buddhism in Baisha Village.
Visitors can also enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, and horseback riding in the surrounding mountains of Lijiang area.