Region: Espírito Santo
Geographic Coordinates: -19.538900, -40.630800
Temperature Range: 15.0°C to 30.0°C (59°F to 86°F)
Colatina is a charming city located in the state of Espirito Santo, Brazil. It is situated on the banks of the Rio Doce river and surrounded by lush green hills, Making it an ideal destination for nature lovers. The city has a rich history dating back to the early 19th century when it was founded by Italian immigrants. One of the main attractions in Colatina is its beautiful historic center, Which features well-preserved colonial architecture and cobblestone streets.
Visitors can explore this area on foot and admire landmarks such as the Church of St. Anthony, Which dates back to 1839, And the Municipal Palace, Which houses a museum showcasing local history. Another popular attraction in Colatina is its vibrant market scene. The Mercado Municipal de Colatina offers visitors an authentic taste of Brazilian culture with its bustling stalls selling fresh produce, Artisanal crafts, And delicious street food. Visitors can also sample local delicacies such as moqueca (a seafood stew) or feijoada (a hearty bean stew). For those seeking outdoor activities, Colatina offers plenty of options.
One must-visit spot is Parque Ecologico do Cachoeiro de Itapemirim – a scenic park that boasts waterfalls and hiking trails amidst lush greenery. Another option is Parque da Cidade – a large urban park with sports facilities like soccer fields and tennis courts as well as picnic areas for families. In addition to natural beauty spots like parks and waterfalls, Colatina also has some impressive man-made structures worth seeing. One such landmark is Ponte Florentino Avidos – one of Brazil’s longest bridges spanning over 2km across Rio Doce river connecting two cities:
Linhares & Colantia. – no trip to Colatina would be complete without sampling their famous coffee! The region produces some of Brazil’s best coffee, And visitors can learn about the production process on a coffee farm tour or simply enjoy a cup at one of the many cafes in town. Overall, Colatina is a hidden gem in Brazil that offers visitors a unique blend of history, Culture, And natural beauty. Whether you’re looking to explore colonial architecture or immerse yourself in Brazilian cuisine and coffee culture, This city has something for everyone.
- Agriculture: Colatina is known for its agricultural production, including coffee, fruits, vegetables, and livestock.
- Mining: The city has mining operations for marble and granite.
- Manufacturing: The manufacturing sector in Colatina includes food processing, textile production, and furniture production.
- Services: The service industry is also a significant contributor to the economy of Colatina with sectors such as healthcare, education, tourism and hospitality.
- Retail: There are numerous retail stores in the city that cater to local residents as well as visitors from neighboring cities.
- Construction: With a growing population and expanding infrastructure needs, construction is an important sector in Colatina’s economy.
- Transportation: Due to its location on major highways and waterways connecting it to other parts of Brazil’s interior regions there are transportation companies operating out of the city providing services like logistics support etc.
- The city of Colatina was founded on May 29, 1921.
- In the early 20th century, Italian and German immigrants colonized the region where Colatina is located.
- The city suffered severe floods in November 1979 and January 2013, causing extensive damage to infrastructure and claiming several lives.
- Colatina is known for its agriculture industry, particularly coffee production.
- Notable people from Colatina include Brazilian singer-songwriter Léo Santana, actor Rodrigo Santoro who spent part of his childhood there, Filipino author and social media personality Marcelo Santos III who lived there during his childhood and retired Brazilian Formula One driver Rubens Barrichello whose wife’s family has ties to the city.
- Museu Histórico e Cultural de Colatina: This museum displays the history and culture of Colatina and its surrounding areas.
- Parque Natural Municipal do Morro do Moreno: A natural park with hiking trails, scenic views, and a historic monument at the top of Morro do Moreno.
- Igreja Matriz São Silvano: A beautiful church with stunning architecture and intricate details.
- Cachoeira da Fumaça: This waterfall is located in the nearby town of Pancas, known for its natural beauty and hiking trails.
- Centro Cultural Sesc Glória: An art center that hosts exhibitions, performances, workshops, and cultural events throughout the year.
- Monumento aos Imigrantes Italianos: A monument dedicated to Italian immigrants who settled in Colatina in the late 19th century.
- Praça Sol Poente: A public square with beautiful gardens, fountains, and sculptures perfect for relaxing or taking photos.
- Casa da Cultura de Colatina: An old mansion turned cultural center that houses art exhibits, theater performances, music concerts, and other events throughout the year.
- Mirante do Alto da Boa Vista – An observation deck offering panoramic views of Colatina’s skyline from above.
- Parque Aquático AcquaMania – A water park featuring several pools with water slides as well as food stalls on site.
- Festa da Polenta is a popular festival in Colatina that celebrates the Italian heritage of the region. It takes place every year in October and features traditional Italian food, music, and dance.
- Carnaval de Colatina is known for its colorful parades, samba music, and vibrant costumes. It takes place every year in February or March.
- Festival de Inverno de Colatina showcases local music and art performances as well as food vendors selling typical winter dishes.
- ExpoColatina celebrates the region’s farming industry with exhibitions of livestock, machinery, and other agricultural products.
- Festival da Canção de Colatina is a popular singing competition that attracts participants from all over Brazil to showcase their vocal talents.
- Festa do Divino Espírito Santo celebrates the Holy Spirit with processions, masses, and traditional dances.
- Encontro Nacional de Motociclistas (National Motorcycle Meeting) brings motorcycle enthusiasts from all over Brazil to participate in this event which includes competitions like burnout contests and motorcycle shows.
- Festa Junina (June Festival) celebrates St John’s Day on June 24th with typical foods such as corn cake (bolo de milho), hot cocoa (chocolate quente), mulled wine (vinho quente) among others!
- Moqueca Capixaba: a traditional seafood stew made with fish, tomato sauce, onions and herbs.
- Feijão Tropeiro: a dish made with beans, bacon, sausage and vegetables.
- Pão de Queijo: a type of cheese bread that is popular throughout Brazil.
- Brigadeiro: a sweet chocolate truffle that is often served as dessert.
Some popular restaurants in Colatina where you can try these dishes include:
- Restaurante Sabor da Roça
- Churrascaria Gaúcha Grill
- Restaurante e Pizzaria Mamma Mia
- Bar e Restaurante do Beto
- Parque da Cidade – A large park with walking trails, playgrounds, and sports fields.
- Parque Natural Municipal do Morro do Moreno – A nature reserve with hiking trails and scenic views.
- Praça Sol Poente – A public square with outdoor exercise equipment and a playground.
- Pista de Skate Colatina – A skate park for skateboarders and BMX riders.
- Centro Esportivo Municipal Geraldo Magela Rodrigues – A sports complex with soccer fields, basketball courts, and volleyball courts.
- Lagoa do Batuva – An artificial lake with fishing opportunities.
- Clube Recreativo Colatinense – A recreational club offering swimming pools, tennis courts, and other activities.
- Sítio Histórico de São Vicente Ferrer – Historic site featuring colonial-era architecture and gardens for visitors to explore.