Geographic Coordinates: 6.166700, -75.566700
Temperature Range: 20.0°C to 30.0°C (68°F to 86°F)
Climate: Envigado, Colombia has a tropical climate with consistent temperatures throughout the year and a rainy season from April to June and from September to November.
Envigado is a municipality located in the Aburrá Valley of the Colombian department of Antioquia. It is situated just 10 kilometers south of Medellin, Making it an ideal destination for travelers looking to explore the region. Envigado has a rich history and culture, With many attractions and activities that make it a popular tourist destination. One of the most notable features of Envigado is its colonial architecture. The town center boasts several well-preserved buildings from the 18th century, Including the Church of Santa Gertrudis and Casa Museo Otraparte.
Visitors can take guided tours to learn more about these historic landmarks and their significance in local history. Another popular attraction in Envigado is its vibrant food scene. The town has many restaurants serving traditional Colombian cuisine, As well as international dishes like sushi and pizza. A must-try dish when visiting Envigado is bandeja paisa, A hearty platter featuring beans, Rice, Meat, Avocado, Plantains and more. For outdoor enthusiasts, There are plenty of opportunities for hiking and exploring nature around Envigado.
One popular spot is La Heliconia Natural Reserve which features miles of trails winding through lush forests filled with exotic birds and wildlife. Envigado also has a rich cultural heritage that visitors can explore through museums such as Casa Museo Otraparte which showcases contemporary art exhibitions from local artists or Museo de la Ciudad which offers insights into historical events that have shaped this region over time. Additionally, Sports fans will appreciate visiting Estadio Polideportivo Sur – home to one of Colombia’s leading football teams – Atletico Nacional de Medellin who regularly play here throughout their season.
yet importantly , Shopping enthusiasts will enjoy exploring El Tesoro Parque Comercial – an upscale shopping mall offering high-end fashion brands alongside artisanal crafts shops selling locally made souvenirs perfect for taking home as a memory of your trip. Envigado is a beautiful and diverse destination that offers something for every type of traveler. From its rich history and culture to its stunning natural scenery, Visitors will find plenty to see and do in this charming Colombian town.
- Parque Ecoturistico El Salado
- Casa Museo Otraparte
- Iglesia de Santa Gertrudis
- Parque Principal de Envigado
- Plaza de Mercado de Envigado
- Parque Biblioteca Débora Arango
- Hacienda Fizebad
- La Catedral del Río
- Iglesia Nuestra Señora del Carmen
- Museo del Agua EPM
- Manufacturing: Envigado has a thriving manufacturing industry that produces textiles, clothing, footwear, furniture, and other consumer goods.
- Construction: The construction industry in Envigado is growing rapidly due to the development of new housing projects and commercial buildings.
- Agriculture: Envigado is surrounded by fertile land that supports agriculture such as coffee plantations, flower farms, fruit orchards.
- Service sector: The service sector in Envigado includes banks, insurance companies, restaurants, hotels & resorts.
- Technology & Innovation: There are several technology startups based out of this region with a focus on software development & IT solutions.
- Education & Healthcare: There are several schools and universities located within the city limits of Envigado along with world-class hospitals providing healthcare services to locals as well as tourists visiting this area.
- Pablo Escobar’s birthplace: The infamous drug lord, Pablo Escobar, was born in Envigado in 1949.
- The Battle of Envigado: In 1829, during the civil war between centralists and federalists, a battle occurred in Envigado resulting in General Francisco de Paula Santander’s army’s defeat.
- Club Atlético Nacional founding: One of Colombia’s most successful football clubs was established on March 7th, 1947, in Envigado.
- President Álvaro Uribe assassination attempt: In February 2002, President Álvaro Uribe narrowly escaped an assassination attempt while visiting Envigado.
- Colombian peace process involvement: Recently involved with the Colombian peace process as one of the municipalities where former FARC members are being reintegrated into society after demobilization.
- Luis Alberto Villegas López: A well-known poet from Antioquia who was born and raised in Envigado.
- José María Córdova: A national hero who fought for Colombia’s independence from Spain and was born near Envigado.
- Father Rafael García-Herreros: A Catholic priest who founded El Minuto de Dios Foundation providing social services to impoverished communities across Colombia including those living near or around Medellin suburbs like Itagui or Sabaneta (which also have their own unique histories).
These events and people have left an indelible mark on Envigado’s history and culture that will be remembered for generations to come.
- Casa Museo Otraparte: This museum is dedicated to the life and works of Colombian philosopher and writer Fernando González.
- Parque Ecoturistico El Salado: This nature reserve offers hiking trails, bird watching, and other outdoor activities.
- Iglesia de Santa Gertrudis: This church is a beautiful example of colonial architecture in Envigado.
- Casa de la Cultura Miguel Uribe Restrepo: This cultural center hosts art exhibitions, concerts, and other events throughout the year.
- Plaza de Mercado de Envigado: This traditional market offers fresh produce, meats, and other local products.
- Monumento al Campesino Antioqueño: This monument pays tribute to the hardworking farmers of Antioquia.
- Museo del Transporte de Antioquia: This museum showcases the history of transportation in the region through exhibits of vintage cars, motorcycles, bicycles and more.
- Biblioteca Pública y Parque Cultural Débora Arango Pérez: Named after a famous Colombian painter from Envigado this library also has an auditorium for cultural events.
- Parroquia Nuestra Señora del Rosario: One of the oldest churches in Envigado with beautiful stained glass windows.
- Palacio Municipal: The town hall building with neoclassical style architecture located at parque principal (main park).
- Envigado Fútbol Club is the primary sports team in Envigado, Colombia. It was established in 1989 and has been a part of the top division of Colombian football since 2004. The team’s colors are green and white.
- Aside from Envigado Fútbol Club, another noteworthy sports team from Envigado is the Envigado Handball Club. It was founded in 2004 and has won numerous national championships. The club has also represented Colombia at international tournaments.
- Moreover, there are various amateur football clubs located in Envigado such as Atlético Envigado, Deportivo Calasanz, and Independiente Medellín (Envigado branch). These teams have different histories and levels of success within local leagues.
- Festival de las Flores: This is a flower festival that takes place in August, celebrating the beauty of flowers.
- Festival del Maíz: This corn festival takes place in November, commemorating the importance of corn to Colombian culture.
- Feria de Envigado: This fair occurs in June and features music, dance, food, and other cultural activities.
- Semana Santa: Holy Week celebrations occur throughout Colombia, including in Envigado with processions and religious ceremonies.
- Fiestas del Agua y el Barro: Every January this festival involves water fights, mud baths, live music performances and more.
- Festival de la Chicha y el Guarapo: Celebrating traditional drinks made from fermented corn (chicha) or sugar cane juice (guarapo).
- Día de los Muertos: Day of the Dead celebrations occur on November 1st and 2nd with altars honoring deceased loved ones decorated with flowers, candles, food offerings & more.
- Carnavalito Infantil: A carnival for kids held during the Christmas season which includes parades & games among other things.
- Bandeja Paisa is a traditional dish from the Antioquia region of Colombia that typically includes beans, rice, ground beef, chicharron (fried pork belly), fried egg and avocado.
- Arepas are a staple food in Colombia made from cornmeal dough and filled with cheese or meat.
- Churrasco is a grilled steak served with fries and salad.
- Empanadas are small pastries filled with meat or cheese.
- La Fonda de Envigado is a popular restaurant in Colombia that serves traditional Colombian dishes like bandeja paisa and churrasco.
- El Rancherito is another well-known restaurant in Colombia that specializes in local cuisine like arepas and empanadas.
- La Pampa Parrilla Argentina is an Argentinean-style steakhouse known for its grilled meats and chimichurri sauce.
- El Tesoro Parilla Bar & Restaurant offers casual dining options specializing in grilled meats, burgers, sandwiches, and salads.
- La Brasa Roja Envigado is a chain restaurant known for serving rotisserie chicken dishes along with sides like rice, beans, and plantains.
- Café Zorba Envigado provides an intimate café experience offering coffee drinks, pastries, sandwiches, and salads served up in a cozy setting without any fuss or frills.
- Parque Ecoturistico El Salado is a nature reserve that boasts hiking trails and waterfalls.
- Parque Principal de Envigado is a central park with ample green spaces and a playground for children.
- Parque Lineal La Heliodora offers walking and cycling paths in a linear park setting.
- Biblioteca Pública y Parque Cultural Débora Arango serves as a cultural center, hosting exhibitions, workshops, and events.
- Complejo Deportivo Suramericana is an extensive sports complex that provides facilities for soccer, basketball, volleyball, and other activities.
- Estadio Polideportivo Sur is an all-purpose stadium designed to host sports events and concerts alike.
- Club Campestre de Envigado is an exclusive country club offering amenities such as golf courses, swimming pools, tennis courts among others.
- Centro Comercial Viva Envigado is a shopping mall that includes cinemas among its many stores.
- Casa Museo Otraparte houses the works of philosopher Fernando González Ochoa in the form of cultural exhibits within the museum’s walls.