Geographic Coordinates: 41.416700, -8.516700
Temperature Range: 10.0°C to 35.0°C (50°F to 95°F)
Famalicão is a charming town located in the north of Portugal, In the district of Braga. It is known for its rich history, Beautiful architecture and vibrant culture. The town has a population of around 140, 000 people and covers an area of 201 square kilometers. One of the main attractions in Famalicão is its historic center, Which features well-preserved buildings that date back to medieval times. The most notable example is the Church of São Martinho de Brufe, Which was built in the 12th century and features stunning Romanesque architecture.
Other important landmarks include the Municipal Museum Abade Pedrosa, Which showcases local art and artifacts from different periods throughout history. Famalicão also boasts several parks and green spaces where visitors can relax and enjoy nature. One popular spot is Parque da Devesa, A large park with walking trails, Picnic areas and playgrounds for children. Another must-visit attraction is Lagoas de Vila Nova de Famalicão Natural Park, A protected area that encompasses several lagoons surrounded by lush vegetation. The town has a lively cultural scene with many events taking place throughout the year.
One such event is Festas Antoninas, Which celebrates Saint Anthony with parades, Music performances and traditional food stalls serving local delicacies like sardines grilled over open flames. Another popular event is Feira do Livro de Vila Nova de Famalicão (Book Fair), Where visitors can browse books from various genres while enjoying live music performances. Food lovers will find plenty to appreciate in Famalicão as well – the region’s cuisine includes hearty stews made with fresh vegetables and meat sourced from local farms as well as seafood dishes like bacalhau (salt cod) cooked in various ways.
Visitors should also try out some regional specialties such as bola (a type of bread stuffed with meat or fish) or rojões (marinated pork served with potatoes and rice). Overall, Famalicão is a town that offers something for everyone. Whether you’re interested in history, Culture, Nature or food, There’s plenty to explore and enjoy here. With its warm and welcoming locals and beautiful surroundings, It’s no wonder that Famalicão has become a popular destination for tourists from around the world.
- Casa do Território: A cultural center that showcases the history and culture of the region.
- Parque da Devesa: A large park with walking trails, a lake, and a playground.
- Igreja Matriz de Vila Nova de Famalicão: A beautiful church with stunning architecture.
- Museu Bernardino Machado: An art museum that houses works by local artists.
- Quinta da Barbearia: A historic estate with beautiful gardens and a mansion that has been converted into a hotel.
- Casa das Artes de Vila Nova de Famalicão: An arts center that hosts exhibitions, concerts, and other cultural events.
- Parque Urbano da Ribeira Grande: Another large park with walking trails, playgrounds, and picnic areas.
- Mosteiro de São Miguel de Seide: A monastery dating back to the 11th century that is now open to visitors as a museum.
- Mercado Municipal de Vila Nova de Famalicão: A bustling market where you can find fresh produce, meats, cheeses, and other local specialties.
- Praça Doutor Francisco Sá Carneiro: The main square in town where you can find shops, restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- The main industries and businesses in Famalicão, Portugal are:
- Furniture manufacturing
- Food processing
- Engineering services
- The Casa do Território museum
- The Parque da Devesa park
- The Battle of Vila Nova de Famalicão: This battle took place in 1809 during the Peninsular War between French and Portuguese forces. The Portuguese were victorious, and this helped to boost morale in their fight against the French.
- Abade de Priscos: Manuel Joaquim Machado Rebelo was a famous chef who was born in Famalicão in 1825. He is known for creating several traditional Portuguese dishes including arroz de pato (duck rice) and pudim abade de priscos (a type of dessert).
- António Lopes dos Santos: Born in Famalicão in 1896, António Lopes dos Santos was a politician who served as Prime Minister of Portugal from 1978 to 1979.
- Manuel da Silva Passos: A lawyer and political figure born in Famalicão in 1801, Manuel da Silva Passos played an important role during the Liberal Wars that took place between 1828 and 1834.
- Casa do Território: This historic building located on a hill overlooking the city was built around 1910 by Francisco Augusto da Silva Rocha as his private residence. It now serves as a cultural center for events such as exhibitions, concerts, and conferences.
- Igreja Matriz de Vila Nova de Famalicão: This church is one of the oldest buildings in the city, dating back to at least the early sixteenth century.
- Museu Bernardino Machado: Located inside Casa do Território, this museum is dedicated to Bernardino Machado (1851-1944), who served twice as President of Portugal during his political career.
- Parque da Devesa: A large park located near downtown Vila Nova de Famalicão, this park is a popular spot for locals to relax and enjoy the outdoors. It features several walking paths, a lake, and a playground.
- Raul Brandão: Born in Foz do Douro in 1867 but raised in Famalicão, Raul Brandão was an important Portuguese writer who is known for his novels and short stories.
- Senhora da Oliveira Sanctuary: Located on the outskirts of Vila Nova de Famalicão, this sanctuary dates back to at least the seventeenth century and is dedicated to Our Lady of the Olive Tree. It is one of the most important religious sites in northern Portugal.
- Casa do Território is a cultural and environmental center that showcases the natural and cultural heritage of Famalicão.
- Museu Bernardino Machado is a museum dedicated to the life and work of Bernardino Machado, a prominent Portuguese politician who served as President of Portugal twice.
- Parque da Devesa is a large park with walking paths, playgrounds, and picnic areas.
- Igreja Matriz de Vila Nova de Famalicão is a beautiful church with stunning architecture that dates back to the 18th century.
- Casa das Artes de Vila Nova de Famalicão is an art center that hosts exhibitions, concerts, theater performances, and other cultural events throughout the year.
- Monumento ao Emigrante is a monument dedicated to all those who left their hometown in search of better opportunities abroad.
- Capela da Nossa Senhora do Carmo is a small chapel with impressive baroque decoration located in the historic center of Famalicão.
- Museu Soledade Malvar is an art museum showcasing works by local artist Soledade Malvar.
- Praça Doutor Francisco Sá Carneiro is a beautiful square located in the heart of Vila Nova de Famalicao where you can relax or have coffee while enjoying its surroundings.
- Casa do Vinho Verde provides visitors with an opportunity to learn about Vinho Verde production methods while tasting some delicious wines from this region’s wineries.
- Famalicão is a small town in Portugal without any notable sports teams with significant histories.
- However, there are some local amateur football clubs that participate in regional leagues, such as:
- Futebol Clube de Famalicão
- Grupo Desportivo de Joane
- Clube Desportivo Trofense
- These clubs have a loyal fan base and contribute to the local sports culture of Famalicão.
- Festa de Nossa Senhora da Conceição: This is a religious festival held in December to celebrate the Immaculate Conception of Mary.
- Festas do Concelho: This is a cultural festival held in August to celebrate the municipality’s anniversary with music, food, and cultural events.
- Feira Nacional de Artesanato e Gastronomia: This is an annual fair held in November that showcases local crafts and cuisine.
- Festival Internacional de Teatro de Famalicão: This is an international theater festival held annually in June that brings together theater companies from around the world.
- Festa das Cruzes: This is a religious festival held in May to honor the Holy Cross with processions, music, and traditional dances.
- Festa do Emigrante: This is a cultural event held every two years in July to celebrate the contributions of emigrants from Famalicão who have settled around the world.
- Feira dos Santos: This is an annual fair held on All Saints’ Day (November 1st) that features traditional crafts, food, and livestock exhibitions.
- Festival Internacional de Folclore Cidade de Vila Nova de Famalicão: An international folk dance festival featuring groups from all over Europe which takes place during summer months (usually August).
- Festividades do São João – A celebration of Saint John’s day on June 24th with street parties including dancing and fireworks throughout the night.
- Festival Lagoa Blues – A blues music festival which takes place every year at Parque da Devesa during summer months (usually July).
- Cozido à Portuguesa – a traditional Portuguese stew with various meats and vegetables.
- Bacalhau à Brás – a dish made with codfish, potatoes, onions, and eggs.
- Francesinha – a sandwich filled with ham, sausage, steak, covered in melted cheese and tomato sauce.
- Arroz de Pato – duck rice cooked with vegetables and spices.
- Caldo Verde – a soup made from kale, potatoes, garlic and chorizo sausage.
Some popular restaurants in Famalicão where you can try these dishes include:
- Restaurante O Fernando
- Taberna do Tio Quim
- Restaurante A Casa do Avô
- Tasquinha da Linda
- Adega do Zéquinha
- Parque da Devesa is a large park that offers various activities such as walking and cycling paths, a lake, picnic areas, playgrounds, and sports facilities.
- Parque da Cidade is another green space that provides visitors with a lake, walking trails, picnic areas, and sports fields.
- Parque Urbano da Ribeira de Matos is a park that offers hiking trails along the riverbank of Ribeira de Matos.
- Piscinas Municipais de Famalicão is an outdoor public swimming pool complex where you can enjoy water slides and diving boards.
- Complexo Desportivo Municipal de Famalicão is a sports complex that includes soccer fields, tennis courts, basketball court and gymnasium for your fitness needs.
- Kartódromo Internacional de Braga – A go-karting track located in nearby Braga city for adrenaline junkies to experience the thrill of speed racing.
- Paintball Vila Nova Famalicão – An outdoor paintball field perfect for group activities where you can play together with friends or family.
- Centro Hípico Quinta do Vale – Horse riding lessons are available here for beginners to experienced riders who want to explore the beautiful scenery on horseback.
- Bowling City – Indoor bowling alley where you can enjoy bowling games with friends or family in any weather condition.
- Museu Bernardino Machado- This museum showcases the life of Bernardino Machado who was twice president of Portugal in the early 20th century.