Geographic Coordinates: 30.427400, -89.070400
Temperature Range: 10.0°C to 35.0°C (50°F to 95°F)
Climate: Warm and humid with frequent thunderstorms, hurricanes possible from June to November.
Gulfport is a charming city located in the southern part of Mississippi, United States. It is situated on the Gulf of Mexico and offers visitors a unique blend of natural beauty and modern amenities. The city has a rich history that dates back to its founding in 1898, And it has since grown into a thriving community with plenty to offer both residents and tourists. One of the most notable features of Gulfport is its stunning beaches. The city boasts more than six miles of white sandy beaches that are perfect for swimming, Sunbathing, Or simply enjoying the view.
Visitors can also enjoy water sports such as jet skiing, Parasailing, Or kayaking on the calm waters of the Gulf. In addition to its beautiful beaches, Gulfport also offers visitors plenty of opportunities for outdoor recreation. The city has several parks that are perfect for hiking or biking trails through scenic landscapes. One popular park is Jones Park which features multiple playgrounds for children along with picnic areas and fishing piers. Gulfport’s downtown area provides an eclectic mix of restaurants serving up fresh seafood dishes along with local favorites like gumbo or jambalaya.
Visitors can also find unique boutiques selling handmade crafts and souvenirs made by local artists. For those interested in history, Gulfport offers several museums showcasing various aspects from different periods throughout its past including WWII exhibits at Lynn Meadows Discovery Center; artifacts related to African American history at Mississippi Coast Coliseum & Convention Center; memorabilia from Hurricane Katrina aftermath at Busted Wrench Garage Museum; among others.
yet importantly, One cannot forget about casinos situated around town providing entertainment options for adults looking to try their luck on slot machines or table games while enjoying live music performances by regional bands during weekends. Overall, Gulfport is an ideal destination for those seeking an authentic experience combining natural beauty with cultural heritage while enjoying modern amenities making it one-of-a-kind vacation spot worth visiting time after time.
- Port of Gulfport: This port is a significant economic driver for the city, with shipping, cargo handling, and logistics being key industries.
- Tourism: Gulfport is a popular tourist destination due to its beaches, casinos, and cultural attractions.
- Military: The military presence in the area includes Keesler Air Force Base and the Naval Construction Battalion Center.
- Healthcare: Healthcare is a growing industry in Gulfport with several hospitals and medical centers located within the city.
- Manufacturing: Manufacturing companies such as Mississippi Silicon have established operations in Gulfport.
- Retail: Retail businesses ranging from small shops to large shopping centers are prevalent throughout the city.
- Education: Higher education institutions such as Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College provide employment opportunities for residents of Gulfport.
- Agriculture: Agriculture plays a significant role in the economy of Mississippi as a whole with crops including cotton, soybeans, corn, and rice being grown in the region surrounding Gulfport.
- Hurricane Katrina devastated Gulfport in 2005, causing extensive damage and loss of life.
- Gulfport celebrated its centennial in 2010 with a year-long series of events and activities honoring the city’s history and culture.
- The USS Mississippi, a battleship commissioned in 1908 that served in World War I and II, is now a museum ship located just outside of Gulfport.
- NFL quarterback Brett Favre spent part of his childhood in Gulfport before achieving success with the Green Bay Packers, New York Jets, and Minnesota Vikings.
- Walter Anderson was an artist known for his depictions of nature on the Mississippi coast; he lived and worked near Gulfport for much of his life.
- Beauvoir is the former home of Confederate President Jefferson Davis; today it serves as a museum dedicated to preserving Southern history.
- The Lynn Meadows Discovery Center is an interactive children’s museum located in Gulfport that offers hands-on exhibits focused on science, art, music, and more.
- The Island View Casino Resort is one of several casinos near Gulfport that provide entertainment for visitors from around the world.
- Bobby Lashley grew up wrestling at Harrison Central High School near Gulf Port before becoming WWE Champion.
- Gulfport Historical Museum
- Lynn Meadows Discovery Center
- Walter Anderson Museum of Art
- Island View Casino Resort
- Mississippi Coast Model Railroad Museum
- Busted Wrench Garage, Museum and Gift Shop
- Beauvoir-The Jefferson Davis Home and Presidential Library
- Mississippi Vietnam Veterans Memorial
- Friendship Oak at the University of Southern Mississippi Gulf Park Campus
- Gulf Islands Waterpark
- Gulfport Admirals Football – The Gulfport Admirals Football team was founded in 2008 and is a semi-professional football team that plays in the Gridiron Developmental Football League (GDFL).
- Gulf Coast Rangers Soccer – The Gulf Coast Rangers Soccer team was founded in 2015 and is a semi-professional soccer team that plays in the National Premier Soccer League (NPSL).
- Mississippi Surge Hockey – The Mississippi Surge Hockey team was founded in 2009 and played for three seasons at the Mississippi Coast Coliseum before relocating to Biloxi, MS.
- Gulfport High School Athletics – Gulfport High School has a rich history of athletics, with numerous state championships won across various sports including football, basketball, baseball, softball, track & field, and swimming.
- Southern Elite Gymnastics Academy – Southern Elite Gymnastics Academy is a gymnastics training facility located in Gulfport that offers classes for all ages and skill levels.
- Island View Casino Resort Classic Golf Tournament – The Island View Casino Resort Classic Golf Tournament is an annual event held at the Windance Country Club in Gulfport featuring professional golfers from around the country competing for cash prizes.
- Harrison County Youth Baseball Association – The Harrison County Youth Baseball Association provides organized youth baseball leagues for children ages 4-14 throughout Harrison County including teams based out of Gulfport.
- Biloxi Shuckers Baseball Club – While not technically located within city limits of Gulfport but nearby Biloxi Shuckers Baseball Club is Double-A affiliate of Milwaukee Brewers playing at MGM Park which attracts many fans from nearby cities like Gulfport as well.
- Gulfport Art Walk is a monthly event that showcases local artists, live music, and food vendors.
- Every week, the Gulfport Tuesday Fresh Market offers a variety of fresh produce, handmade crafts, and live entertainment in an outdoor setting.
- Gecko Fest is an annual street festival that celebrates the end of summer with live music, food vendors, and arts and crafts.
- During Gulfport’s Holiday Hoopla each year, visitors can enjoy live entertainment, witness a tree lighting ceremony and purchase holiday gifts from local vendors.
- The Pink Flamingo Tour of Homes takes place annually where visitors can tour some of the city’s most unique homes decorated with pink flamingos during March or April.
- Every year in Gulfport Music Festival takes place over two days featuring both local and national acts performing on multiple stages.
- Get Rescued in Gulfport Pet Fest is an annual event that aims to raise funds for animal rescue organizations through pet adoptions, vendor sales and pet-friendly activities.
- LGBTQ+ Pride Celebration takes place annually in June to commemorate Pride Month which celebrates the LGBTQ+ community.
- The Annual Gulfport Grand Prix occurs every April featuring powerboat racing on Boca Ciega Bay.
- The Annual Pink Flamingo Tour of Homes is held during March or April each year as a self-guided tour allowing visitors to explore some of the city’s unique homes decorated with pink flamingos.
- Seafood: Gulfport is known for its fresh seafood, particularly shrimp, oysters, and crab. Some popular seafood restaurants in the area include Half Shell Oyster House, Shaggy’s Gulfport Beach, and The Blow Fly Inn.
- Po’boys: A classic Louisiana sandwich made with French bread and filled with meat or seafood. Some of the best po’boys in Gulfport can be found at Darwell’s Cafe and The Chimneys.
- Barbecue: Mississippi-style barbecue is slow-cooked over hickory wood and served with a tangy vinegar-based sauce. Popular barbecue joints in Gulfport include Murky Waters BBQ and Corky’s Ribs & BBQ.
- Southern comfort food: Dishes like fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, collard greens, and cornbread are staples of Southern cuisine. Local favorites for these dishes include Aunt Jenny’s Catfish Restaurant & Seafood Market and The Shed BBQ & Blues Joint.
- Cajun/Creole cuisine: With its proximity to Louisiana, Gulfport also has a strong Cajun/Creole influence on its culinary scene. Restaurants like Creole Fish Hut serve up dishes like gumbo, jambalaya etouffee’,and red beans & rice with sausage.
- Gulfport Beach Park: This popular beach park boasts white sandy beaches, picnic areas, and a playground.
- Clam Bayou Nature Preserve: Explore this nature preserve’s walking trails, birdwatching opportunities, and kayaking/canoeing options.
- Clymer Park: Enjoy this neighborhood park’s playground, tennis courts, and basketball court.
- Tomlinson Park: This large park offers sports fields (soccer and baseball), a playground, and picnic areas.
- Boca Ciega Millennium Park: Hike the trails or fish off the piers at this nature park with picnic areas.
- Gulfport Skatepark: Skaters of all levels can enjoy this outdoor skatepark.
- Catherine Hickman Theater & Auditorium: Catch plays and concerts throughout the year at this venue.
- Gulfport Casino Ballroom: Dance to live music from local bands every Sunday evening at this ballroom.
- Stetson University College of Law Library & Information Center – Gulfport Campus Library offers various books to read in the library or check out for home use as well as computers available for public use.
- Gulfport Art Walk – On the first Friday of each month regional artists showcase their work during this event.