Hà Tĩnh, Vietnam
Region: Hà Tĩnh Province
Geographic Coordinates: 18.333300, 105.900000
Temperature Range: 15.0°C to 35.0°C (59°F to 95°F)
Hà Tĩnh is a province located in central Vietnam, With its capital city being Hà Tĩnh City. The province covers an area of 6, 053 square kilometers and has a population of approximately 1.3 million people. It is situated along the coast of the South China Sea and shares borders with Nghe An Province to the north, Quang Binh Province to the south, Laos to the west, And Ha Tinh Bay to the east. The history of Hà Tĩnh dates back thousands of years ago when it was inhabited by various ethnic groups such as Champa, Kinh, Muong and Thai.
The province played an important role in Vietnamese history during both ancient and modern times. It was here that many significant battles were fought against foreign invaders such as Chinese dynasties and French colonizers. Hà Tĩnh is known for its beautiful natural landscapes that include pristine beaches, Mountains, Rivers, Waterfalls and national parks. One such attraction is Vu Quang National Park which covers an area of over 55 thousand hectares with diverse flora and fauna species including tigers, Elephants and bears. Another popular destination in Hà Tĩnh is Thien Cam Beach which stretches over 10 kilometers along the coastline.
This beach offers visitors crystal clear waters for swimming or sunbathing while enjoying stunning views of surrounding mountains. For those interested in culture or history there are several sites worth visiting such as Huong Tich Pagoda which dates back to over two thousand years ago or Ho Dynasty Citadel – a UNESCO World Heritage Site built during late 14th century under Ho Dynasty reign. Hà Tĩnh cuisine also boasts unique flavors influenced by local ingredients like seafood from nearby coastal areas or herbs grown on fertile soil from mountainous regions nearby.
Some must-try dishes include banh cuon (steamed rice rolls), Banh xeo (Vietnamese crepes), And bun bo Hue (spicy beef noodle soup). Hà Tĩnh is also home to many festivals throughout the year, Including the Hung Kings Temple Festival which takes place in April and celebrates Vietnam’s legendary founders. Other popular events include the Cau Ngu Festival, Held annually in June to honor fishermen and their catch. Overall, Hà Tĩnh is a province with rich history, Breathtaking scenery, Delicious cuisine and vibrant culture. It’s a must-visit destination for anyone traveling through central Vietnam.
- Hồng Lĩnh Mountain is a sacred mountain and popular pilgrimage site for Buddhists.
- The Đồng Lộc T-junction Monument was built to commemorate the bravery of Vietnamese soldiers during the Vietnam War.
- Thạch Hãn River is a scenic river that runs through Hà Tĩnh, known for its beautiful landscapes and fishing opportunities.
- Cửa Sót Beach is a stunning beach with white sand and clear waters, perfect for swimming and sunbathing.
- The Kỳ Anh Tunnel is an underground tunnel system used by North Vietnamese soldiers during the Vietnam War.
- The Hương Tích Pagoda is a Buddhist temple located in a cave on a mountain, known for its natural beauty and spiritual significance.
- Vũ Môn Falls are a series of waterfalls located in lush forest, perfect for hiking and exploring nature.
- Canh Tien Tower is an ancient tower built during the Champa Kingdom era, now considered as national historical site.
- Xuan Thanh Beach is another beautiful beach with white sand and crystal-clear water, perfect for relaxation and water sports activities like kayaking or snorkeling.
- The Ke Go Lake Nature Reserve is home to diverse flora and fauna species including rare birds such as egrets or herons; this reserve is an ideal place to explore nature’s wonders in Ha Tinh province.
- Steel industry: Hà Tĩnh boasts the largest steel complex in Southeast Asia, Formosa Ha Tinh Steel Corporation.
- Agriculture: The province has vast agricultural lands that produce a range of crops, including rice, sugarcane, corn, peanuts, and more.
- Fishing: With its long coastline and many fishermen, Hà Tĩnh is a hub for seafood like shrimp, squid, and fish.
- Textile industry: Many textile factories operate here that produce garments for export.
- Mineral mining: Rich mineral resources such as iron ore, copper ore and gold ore are found here.
- Construction materials manufacturing: Several cement plants manufacture cement for construction purposes in the province.
- Tourism industry: The picturesque beaches like Thien Cam Beach and Cua Sot Beach attract many tourists each year to Hà Tĩnh.
- Service sector businesses like banking services and retail shops also contribute to the economy of Hà Tĩnh province significantly.
- In 1930, Ha Tinh witnessed a communist uprising led by Ho Chi Minh and other revolutionary leaders called the Nghe-Tinh Soviet Movement. The movement aimed to establish a socialist government in northern Vietnam.
- During the Vietnam War, Hà Tĩnh was the site of several battles between North Vietnamese forces and American troops, including the significant Battle of Hà Tĩnh in 1968 that resulted in heavy casualties on both sides.
- Nguyen Du, born in 1765 in what is now Ha Tinh province, is one of Vietnam’s most famous poets and literary figures known for his epic poem The Tale of Kieu considered a masterpiece of Vietnamese literature.
- Phan Bội Châu played an important role as a nationalist leader from Ha Tinh province during Vietnam’s struggle for independence from France.
- Lê Đức Thọ was born in Huong Khe district and became a prominent communist leader who played an essential role in negotiating an end to the Vietnam War. He received the Nobel Peace Prize along with Henry Kissinger for his efforts.
- In 2016, Formosa Plastics Group’s steel plant caused massive toxic waste spill that devastated marine life along hundreds kilometers coastline causing widespread protests across central provinces including Ha Tinh where it started.
- In October 2020, torrential rains lasting for days caused severe flooding resulting loss of lives and property damage to Ha tinh province during Central region flood.
- Hồ Citadel is a UNESCO World Heritage Site that has been well-preserved since the 14th century as a fortified city.
- Vũ Quang National Park is home to diverse flora and fauna, including rare species such as the saola and Truong Son muntjac.
- Hà Tĩnh Museum showcases the history and culture of Hà Tĩnh province in its provincial capital.
- Khe Sanh Combat Base was an important site during the Vietnam War and now serves as a memorial to those who fought there.
- Cửa Sót Beach offers picturesque views of limestone cliffs and crystal-clear waters.
- Đồng Lộc T-junction Monument honors young soldiers who fought for Vietnam’s independence during the war against France in 1954.
- Trúc Lâm Temple, located on a hill overlooking Lake Vũ Quang, offers breathtaking views and peaceful surroundings for Buddhist worshippers.
- Thạch Bàn Village has been producing high-quality ceramics using traditional pottery-making techniques for centuries.
- Ngự Bình Mountain is not only beautiful but also holds historical significance as it was once used as a military stronghold worth visiting.
- Xuan Thanh Beach Resort & Spa provides luxurious relaxation time on Xuan Thanh Beach – one of the most beautiful beaches in Hà Tĩnh province!
- Hà Tĩnh, a province in central Vietnam, has a strong sports history and has produced many talented athletes.
- Football is the most popular sport in the area, with several local clubs competing in various leagues across Vietnam.
- Notable football teams from Hà Tĩnh include Sông Lam Nghệ An (SLNA) and its reserve team SLNA B, as well as Quảng Nam FC.
- Other popular sports in Hà Tĩnh include volleyball, basketball, and martial arts.
- The province has also hosted national and international sporting events such as the National Volleyball Championship and National Junior Taekwondo Championship over the years.
- Vietnam-Laos Border Festival: This annual festival in May celebrates the special relationship between Vietnam and Laos, featuring cultural performances, sports competitions, and food fairs.
- Huong Pagoda Festival: Taking place in February or March, this festival attracts thousands of visitors to Huong Tich Mountain to visit the ancient pagoda and pray for good luck.
- Cua Sot Beach Festival: Celebrated annually in July or August, this festival highlights the beauty of Cua Sot Beach with music performances, water sports competitions, and seafood specialties.
- Dong Son Drum Festival: Held biennially in April to honor the traditional Dong Son drum-making craft of Ha Tinh province with drumming contests, cultural exhibitions, and folk games.
- Truc Lam Zen Monastery Festival: Celebrated on the 15th day of Lunar New Year (around February), this spiritual event involves praying for peace and good fortune at Truc Lam Zen Monastery.
- Khe Sanh Victory Day: Commemorating Vietnamese soldiers’ victory over American troops during the Vietnam War at Khe Sanh Combat Base every January 21st.
- Fish Worshipping Ceremony at Thach Ban Village: Locals hold a ceremony on March 3rd every year (according to lunar calendar) to worship their guardian fish deity who protects them from natural disasters like floods or droughts.
- Hung Kings Temple Festival: Honoring Vietnam’s first kings who founded Van Lang Kingdom over four thousand years ago with various rituals such as incense offering or dragon dancing performances every April 10th according to lunar calendar (around late March/early April).
- Bánh bèo: These are steamed rice cakes that are topped with shrimp or pork and served with fish sauce.
- Nem chua: A popular snack or appetizer, this dish consists of fermented pork sausage.
- Bún cá: This noodle soup is made using fish broth and topped with fried fish and herbs.
- Chả cá Lã Vọng: This grilled fish dish is typically served with vermicelli noodles, peanuts, herbs, and dipping sauce.
- Canh chua cá lóc: A sour soup made using snakehead fish along with vegetables like pineapple and tamarind.
If you’re looking to try these dishes in Hà Tĩnh, here are some popular restaurants to visit:
- Quán Vịt Nướng Người Hùng (Hero Grilled Duck Restaurant): This restaurant is well-known for its grilled duck preparations.
- Nhà hàng Ngon Sông Lam (Sông Lam Delicious Restaurant): This eatery serves a variety of local specialties like bún cá and nem chua.
- Nhà hàng Cá Lóc Huỳnh Liên (Huỳnh Liên Snakehead Fish Restaurant): As the name suggests, this restaurant specializes in canh chua cá lóc.
- Quán Ăn Đặc Sản Miền Trung (Central Vietnam Specialty Restaurant): If you want to try traditional Central Vietnamese dishes like bánh bèo, this restaurant is worth checking out!
- Nhà hàng Chả Cá Thăng Long (Thăng Long Grilled Fish Restaurant): Here you can savor the famous Hanoi-style chả cá Lã Vọng dish.
- Bến Thủy Park: This popular park in Hà Tĩnh features a lake, walking paths, and playgrounds.
- Vũ Quang National Park: This large national park offers hiking trails, waterfalls, and wildlife viewing opportunities.
- Hồ Xá Lượng Lake: Enjoy fishing and boating on this scenic lake.
- Cửa Sót Beach: Relax on the beautiful white sand beach with clear waters for swimming and sunbathing.
- Kỳ Anh Nature Reserve: Visit this protected area to see rare species of animals and plants.
- Nguyễn Du Cultural Park: Attend music performances, traditional festivals, and art exhibitions at this cultural center.
- Đức Thọ District Sports Center: Play soccer, volleyball, basketball or other sports at this facility.
- Hà Tĩnh Museum of Culture & History : Learn about the culture & history of the region through its exhibits & artifacts
- Tràng An Tourist Area : Take a boat tour along the river through caves surrounded by limestone cliffs
- Hồng Lĩnh Mountain Range : Hike to enjoy scenic views from the top of this mountain range popular among hikers