Babylon, New York
Geographic Coordinates: 40.692500, -73.358600
Babylon is a picturesque village situated on Long Island, New York. It’s located within the town of Babylon and has a population of around 12, 000 people. This village is renowned for its rich history and distinctive character that draws visitors from all over the globe. One of Babylon’s most remarkable features is its stunning waterfront area. The village sits on the Great South Bay and provides breathtaking views of Fire Island across the water. Visitors can take a leisurely stroll along the boardwalk or engage in various water activities such as fishing, Boating, And kayaking.
Babylon also boasts an impressive selection of restaurants and cafes that serve delicious cuisine from all over the world. From Italian to Mexican to American classics like burgers and fries, There’s something for everyone in this vibrant community. Apart from its culinary offerings, Babylon has several cultural attractions as well. The Argyle Theatre hosts live performances throughout the year ranging from Broadway-style shows to comedy acts. There are also several art galleries in town showcasing works by local artists.
For those who love spending time outdoors, Babylon has several parks with walking trails, Playgrounds for kids, Picnic areas and sports fields available for use by visitors or locals alike! One famous park is Belmont Lake State Park which offers hiking trails through wooded areas as well as swimming opportunities at its beachfront area. but not leastly – shopping! There are many quaint boutiques located throughout Babylon Village where you can find unique items ranging from clothing to jewelry to home decor items that you won’t find anywhere else!
Overall it’s easy to see why so many people love visiting or living in Babylon – it’s filled with charm & character while offering plenty of things-to-do for everyone!
- Argyle Park is a picturesque park that features a lake for fishing and boating, playgrounds, picnic areas, and sports fields.
- Babylon Village Historical District is a charming area with historic buildings dating back to the 19th century.
- Babylon Railroad Station is a historic train station from 1868 which now houses the local Chamber of Commerce.
- Fire Island National Seashore is an astonishing barrier island that offers miles of pristine beaches, hiking trails, wildlife viewing opportunities as well as water sports.
- Gilgo Beach is another popular beach destination known for its surfing conditions.
- Captree State Park is a scenic park with marinas for fishing charters and boat rentals as well as picnic areas and hiking trails.
- Robert Moses State Park – another popular beach destination that also has golf courses, nature trails, tennis courts among other amenities.
- Tanger Outlets Deer Park- A shopping center with over 90 stores including Nike Factory Store & Polo Ralph Lauren Factory Store.
- Lighthouse Beach- A small beach on Fire Island near Robert Moses State Park.
- Tourism and Hospitality: Babylon is a popular tourist destination due to its proximity to beaches, parks, and historic sites.
- Healthcare: The town of Babylon has several healthcare facilities such as Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center.
- Retail: There are many retail stores and shopping centers located throughout the town of Babylon.
- Education: The town has both public and private schools available for residents.
- Construction: Ongoing construction work in the area includes new housing developments and infrastructure projects.
- Manufacturing: Several manufacturing companies produce goods such as plastics, metal products, and machinery parts within the town limits.
- Finance: The area boasts several banks and financial institutions including Bank of America, Chase Bank, TD Bank among others with branches located in Babylon.
- Agriculture: Surrounding areas around Babylon have farms that grow crops such as corns, fruits & vegetables etc..
Events Associated with Ancient Babylon
- The rise and fall of the Neo-Babylonian Empire under King Nebuchadnezzar II.
- The construction of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.
- The capture and exile of Jews to Babylon in 586 BCE, which led to writing and preservation of much Jewish scripture.
Notable Individuals Associated with Ancient Babylon
- Hammurabi, a king who is famous for his legal code that established strict laws and punishments for various crimes.
- Nebuchadnezzar II, a king who expanded Babylon’s empire and built many impressive structures.
- Daniel, a Jewish prophet who was taken into captivity in Babylon but rose to prominence as an advisor to several kings.
It’s important to note that while these events and people are associated with ancient Babylon, they do not necessarily reflect modern-day Iraq or its culture today.
- Babylon Village Historical Society Museum
- Argyle Park
- Babylon Town Hall
- Tanner Park
- Gilgo State Park
- Belmont Lake State Park
- Fire Island Lighthouse
- Robert Moses State Park
- Captree State Park
- Long Island Maritime Museum
- Annual Fall Harvest Festival
- Long Island Maritime Museum Seafood Festival
- Babylon Village Arts Council Art Walk
- St. Patrick’s Day Parade
- Memorial Day Parade and Ceremony
- Fourth of July Fireworks Display
- Summer Arts & Crafts Festival
- Halloween Costume Contest & Parade
- Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony
- The Argyle Grill & Tavern, known for their American cuisine and craft beers.
- Horace & Sylvia’s Publick House, which offers a variety of seafood dishes.
- Tres Palms, serving Mexican dishes such as tacos, burritos, and enchiladas.
- Swell Taco is a popular spot for authentic Mexican street-style tacos.
- Monsoon is an Indian restaurant that offers a range of curries and tandoori dishes.
- Gemelli Gourmet Market & Deli is known for their Italian deli sandwiches and homemade pasta dishes.
- Post Office Cafe is a historic pub that serves classic American fare such as burgers and wings.
- Mary Carroll’s Irish Pub & Restaurant serves traditional Irish pub food like shepherd’s pie and fish ‘n’ chips.
- Argyle Park offers a range of recreational activities such as a playground, basketball and tennis courts, baseball fields, picnic areas and a pool.
- Belmont Lake State Park features trails for hiking and biking, fishing opportunities and picnic areas.
- Babylon Village Pool Complex includes an Olympic-sized swimming pool, kiddie pool and diving boards.
- Tanner Park provides access to the Great South Bay with a beach area for swimming along with playgrounds, basketball courts and baseball fields.
- Gilgo Beach is known for its surfing opportunities on the Atlantic Ocean.
- Babylon Bike Trail is a 14-mile trail that runs through several towns in Suffolk County.
- Captree State Park offers fishing charters and boat rentals to explore the Great South Bay.
- Cedar Beach County Park features volleyball courts, playgrounds, picnic areas along with beach access to the Long Island Sound.
- Bergen Point Golf Course is an 18-hole golf course located in West Babylon.
- South Shore Nature Center has nature trails that run through wetlands habitats with boardwalks over marshes providing views of birds such as ospreys or egrets along with other wildlife species like turtles or frogs etc.