Los Baños, Philippines
Geographic Coordinates: 14.166700, 121.217000
Temperature Range: 20.0°C to 35.0°C (68°F to 95°F)
Climate: Tropical climate with wet and dry seasons.
Los Baños is a beautiful town located in Laguna, Philippines. It is situated at the base of Mount Makiling and is renowned for its stunning scenery, Hot springs, And verdant greenery. The town is around 64 kilometers south of Manila and can be reached by car or bus. Mount Makiling National Park is one of Los Baños’ primary attractions. This park encompasses an area of 4, 244 hectares and provides visitors with the opportunity to explore its diverse flora and fauna. The park has numerous hiking trails that lead to various waterfalls, Hot springs, And viewpoints.
One well-known trail is the Makiling Trail which takes hikers up to the summit of Mount Makiling. Another must-visit attraction in Los Baños are its natural hot springs. There are several resorts in town that offer guests access to these relaxing pools. Some popular resorts include Laguna Hot Springs Resort, La Vista Pansol Resort, And Splash Mountain Resort. Los Baños also has a rich history dating back to pre-colonial times when it was inhabited by indigenous Tagalog people.
During Spanish colonization, Los Baños became an important agricultural center due to its fertile soil and abundant water supply from Mount Makiling’s streams. Today, Los Baños remains an important agricultural center with several research institutions such as International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study & Research in Agriculture (SEARCA), Philippine Council for Agriculture Aquatic Resources Research & Development (PCAARRD) all located within the University of Philippines-Los Banos campus.
In addition to these agriculture research institutions mentioned above there are also other universities like Union College Of Laguna (UCL), Trace College as well as some international schools like Brent International School Manila – South Campus which cater not only local but also foreign students who want quality education near nature’s beauty. Los Baños offers visitors a unique blend of natural beauty, History, And modern amenities. Whether you want to explore the lush forests of Mount Makiling or unwind in a natural hot spring pool, Los Baños has something for everyone.
Its close proximity to Manila makes it an ideal weekend getaway destination for those seeking a break from the hustle and bustle of city life.
- Mount Makiling is a beautiful dormant volcano that offers hiking trails and scenic views.
- The University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB) is a premier educational institution with a sprawling campus that features a botanical garden, museums, and recreational areas.
- The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is dedicated to improving the world’s rice production through science and technology.
- Lake Caliraya is known for its water sports activities like kayaking, wakeboarding, and fishing as it’s a man-made lake.
- The Shrine of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage is built in honor of the patron saint of travelers, sailors, and fishermen – it’s an important church in the area.
- The National Arts Center features galleries, theaters, studios, and performance spaces that showcase Filipino culture and creativity – it’s an amazing arts complex!
- Boy Scouts of the Philippines Jamboree Site serves as a camping ground where scouts from all over the country gather for outdoor activities and leadership training programs.
- Trace College offers courses in hospitality management, culinary arts, information technology, business administration among others- it’s an excellent educational institution!
- Los Baños Hot Springs Resort & Spa provides natural hot springs pools for relaxation purposes – perfect for unwinding after exploring all that Los Baños has to offer!
- The Los Baños Municipal Hall has been around since 1930s’ making it one of the most iconic landmarks in Los Baños!
- Agriculture – Los Baños is known for its vast agricultural lands and is considered as the country’s Science City of Agriculture. The town produces various crops such as rice, corn, vegetables, fruits, and livestock.
- Education – The University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB) is one of the top universities in the country that offers courses related to agriculture, forestry, veterinary medicine, engineering, and social sciences.
- Tourism – Los Baños has several tourist destinations such as hot springs resorts like Pansol and Makiling Highlands Resort. It also has natural attractions like Mount Makiling and Lake Caliraya.
- Food Processing – There are several food processing companies in Los Baños that produce canned goods, fruit preserves, dairy products (like cheese), and other food products.
- Manufacturing – Some manufacturing companies in Los Baños produce industrial components like electronics parts or automotive parts.
- Services – There are also various service businesses in Los Baños such as hotels & restaurants; banks & financial institutions; healthcare providers (like hospitals or clinics); retail shops & supermarkets; real estate developers etc.
- Los Baños Internment Camp was established by the Japanese during World War II to imprison American and Filipino prisoners of war.
- The University of the Philippines Los Baños is a prestigious university that specializes in research and development programs related to agriculture, forestry, and other fields.
- Dr. Benjamin Almeda Sr., a renowned inventor and scientist, revolutionized farming practices in the Philippines by inventing several agricultural machines.
- Mt. Makiling is a dormant volcano located near Los Baños that is popular among tourists and locals for hiking.
- The town of Los Baños was also a site of several battles during the Philippine-American War from 1899-1902.
- Dr. Ricardo Lantican, a Filipino scientist, made significant contributions to molecular biology research with his work on plant biotechnology.
- The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is an international organization located within UPLB’s campus dedicated to improving rice production worldwide through scientific research and development programs.
- The Lopez Museum houses an impressive collection of artworks by notable artists from different periods including Juan Luna, Felix Resurreccion Hidalgo among others.
- Philippine Rice Research Institute Museum showcases the history and development of rice research in the Philippines.
- International Rice Research Institute is an agricultural research center that focuses on improving rice production and reducing poverty among farmers.
- National Arts Center is a cultural center that features various art exhibits, performances, and workshops.
- University of the Philippines Los Baños Museum of Natural History houses a wide collection of flora and fauna specimens found in the Philippines.
- Mount Makiling Forest Reserve is a protected area that offers hiking trails, camping sites, and natural hot springs.
- Baker Hall at UP Los Baños is an iconic building designed by National Artist for Architecture Leandro V. Locsin that serves as a venue for various events such as concerts, lectures, and exhibits.
- The Shrine of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage – A church dedicated to Our Lady Mary Help Of Christians which is located at Brgy Anos Los Banos Laguna
- Los Banos Horticulture Society Garden – A garden filled with different kinds flowers where you can take pictures or just relax while enjoying nature’s beauty
- UPLB Botanic Gardens – A botanical garden showcasing different plant species from around the world
- Paco Roman Park – A park with playground facilities for kids where you can also enjoy some outdoor activities like biking or jogging
- Anihan Festival is a week-long celebration that honors St. Isidore, the patron saint of farmers, with thanksgiving for a bountiful harvest.
- Bañamos Festival is held every February to celebrate the town’s foundation day with a colorful street dance festival.
- Palarong Bayanihan promotes unity and camaraderie among Los Baños residents through a sports festival.
- UPLB Feb Fair features various activities such as concerts, exhibits, and food fairs organized by University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB) annually.
- Paete-Los Baños Turumba Festival is a religious procession held every Holy Week where devotees carry images of saints while singing hymns and prayers.
- Gat Tayaw Tsinelas Festival pays tribute to local hero Gat Tayaw who fought against Spanish colonizers using only his sandals (tsinelas).
- Alay Lakad Foundation Day Walkathon is an annual fundraising event organized by the Alay Lakad Foundation aimed at helping underprivileged students in Los Baños pursue their education.
- National Arts Month Celebration spearheaded by the National Commission for Culture and Arts (NCCA) aims to promote appreciation for Philippine arts and culture through various activities like exhibits, performances, workshops etc.. throughout the month-long celebration period.
- Sulyap Gallery Cafe – serves Filipino dishes with a modern twist in a cozy and artsy ambiance.
- UPLB Dairy Training and Research Institute – offers dairy products such as milk, cheese, ice cream, and yogurt produced by the University of the Philippines Los Baños.
- Isdaan Floating Restaurant – features a unique dining experience on floating bamboo rafts while enjoying Filipino seafood dishes.
- Baker’s Hill Los Baños – known for their freshly baked breads, pastries, cakes, and pies.
- Binalot Fiesta Foods – serves traditional Filipino meals wrapped in banana leaves for an authentic dining experience.
- BU Café & Restaurant – offers fusion cuisine that combines Filipino flavors with international influences.
- The Buzzz Cafe at IRRI Headquarters – serves coffee blends made from locally sourced beans along with sandwiches, pasta dishes, and desserts.
- Casa San Pablo Bed & Breakfast Restaurant – specializes in farm-to-table meals using ingredients sourced from their own organic garden.
- UPLB Freedom Park – a spacious park with jogging trails, picnic areas, and a playground.
- Makiling Botanic Gardens – a nature reserve with hiking trails, picnic areas, and a botanical garden.
- Los Baños Hot Springs – natural hot springs that provide swimming pools and spa treatments.
- Splash Mountain Resort – an amusement park with water slides, wave pools, and other water attractions.
- Mount Makiling National Park – a protected area with hiking trails that lead to the summit of Mount Makiling.
- Baker Hall Sports Complex – an indoor sports facility that offers basketball courts, badminton courts, and volleyball courts.
- Lake Caliraya – a picturesque lake that provides fishing trips, boating activities like kayaking or paddleboarding, and camping sites along its shoreline.
- Los Banos Municipal Plaza – A public plaza where locals gather for events such as concerts or festivals.