Geographic Coordinates: 26.246600, -80.211900
Margate is a charming coastal city located in Broward County, Florida, United States. Nestled between the bustling cities of Fort Lauderdale and Pompano Beach, Margate offers residents and visitors a perfect blend of small-town charm and vibrant beachside living. With its beautiful beaches, Thriving community spirit, And an abundance of recreational activities, Margate has become a sought-after destination for both tourists and those looking to settle down. One of the main attractions in Margate is its pristine coastline.
The city boasts miles of sandy beaches with crystal-clear turquoise waters that are ideal for swimming, Sunbathing or simply taking a leisurely stroll along the shore. The well-maintained beachfront parks offer picnic areas with grills, Playgrounds for children to enjoy as well as volleyball courts where locals often gather for friendly games. Beyond the beaches lies an array of recreational opportunities that cater to all interests. Golf enthusiasts can tee off at one of several world-class golf courses nearby or practice their swing at one of Margate’s driving ranges.
For nature lovers, There are numerous parks within the city limits that provide ample opportunities for hiking trails amidst lush greenery or bird watching in serene wetlands. Margate also prides itself on its strong sense of community spirit. Throughout the year, Residents come together to celebrate various events such as festivals showcasing local art and culture or charity runs supporting important causes. The city’s Community Center hosts numerous activities including fitness classes like yoga and Zumba along with educational programs catering to people from all age groups.
In addition to its natural beauty and community engagement initiatives, Margate offers an array of shopping destinations ranging from quaint boutiques to large retail centers like Coral Square Mall which features popular national brands alongside local specialty stores. Food enthusiasts will find themselves spoiled for choice with a diverse culinary scene offering everything from casual diners serving classic American fare to upscale restaurants serving international cuisines. For those seeking entertainment beyond the beach and shopping, Margate is conveniently located near major attractions.
Just a short drive away, Visitors can explore the vibrant nightlife of Fort Lauderdale or enjoy world-class performances at the Broward Center for the Performing Arts. Margate, United States offers a picturesque coastal setting with beautiful beaches and abundant recreational activities. Its strong community spirit fosters a sense of belonging and provides numerous opportunities for residents to engage in various events and programs. With its diverse shopping options and culinary scene, There is something to suit every taste. Whether you’re looking for relaxation on sandy shores or seeking adventure in nearby attractions, Margate has it all.
- Atlantic Ocean Beaches: Margate is known for its proximity to beautiful beaches along the Atlantic coast. Visitors can enjoy sunbathing, swimming, and various water sports activities.
- Calypso Cove Water Park: This family-friendly water park offers thrilling slides, lazy rivers, and interactive play areas for visitors of all ages.
- Butterfly World: Located nearby in Coconut Creek, Butterfly World is the largest butterfly park in the world. It features thousands of butterflies from around the globe amidst lush tropical gardens.
- Coral Square Mall: Shopaholics can explore this popular shopping destination that houses a wide range of stores selling fashion apparel, accessories, electronics, and more.
- Fern Forest Nature Center: Situated in neighboring Pompano Beach, this nature center offers scenic trails through a serene forested area with diverse plant and animal life.
- Seminole Casino Coconut Creek: A short drive away from Margate lies this vibrant casino offering slot machines, poker tables live entertainment shows as well as multiple dining options.
- Sawgrass Mills Mall: As one of the largest outlet malls in the United States located in Sunrise near Margate city limits), Sawgrass Mills attracts shoppers with its extensive collection of discounted designer brands and numerous dining establishments.
- Flamingo Gardens & Wildlife Sanctuary: Situated nearby in Davie town), visitors can explore this botanical garden featuring exotic plants alongside rescued wildlife like alligators and flamingos.
- Pompano Park Racing & Casino: Horse racing enthusiasts can experience live harness racing or try their luck at slot machines within this popular attraction situated just minutes away from Margate city limits).
- Everglades Holiday Park: Located west of Margate near Weston town), visitors can embark on airboat tours through the Everglades, witness alligator shows, and learn about the unique ecosystem of this national park.
These attractions offer a diverse range of experiences for tourists visiting Margate and its surrounding areas.
- Healthcare: Margate is home to several healthcare facilities, including Northwest Medical Center and Broward Health Coral Springs. These hospitals provide employment opportunities for medical professionals and support staff.
- Retail: Margate has a variety of retail establishments, including shopping centers like the Coral Square Mall and Plaza at Coral Springs. These malls house numerous stores, restaurants, and entertainment venues.
- Hospitality: The tourism industry plays a significant role in Margate’s economy due to its proximity to popular tourist destinations like Fort Lauderdale and Miami Beach. The city has several hotels, resorts, and vacation rentals that cater to visitors.
- Education: There are various educational institutions in Margate, such as public schools operated by the Broward County Public Schools system. Additionally, there are private schools serving the community.
- Professional Services: Many professional service firms operate in Margate, offering services such as legal advice, accounting services, consulting services, real estate agencies, and more.
- Construction: Like many growing cities in Florida’s metropolitan areas, construction companies play an essential role in developing infrastructure projects within the city.
- Restaurants and Food Services: There is a diverse range of restaurants offering different cuisines throughout Margate that serve both residents and tourists alike.
- Manufacturing: Though not as prominent as some other industries listed above, manufacturing companies can be found operating within or near Margate providing employment opportunities for locals.
It’s important to note that this list represents some of the major industries present but does not encompass all businesses operating within the city of Margate.
- Development and Incorporation: Margate was originally developed as a planned community by Jack Marqusee in the 1950s. It was officially incorporated as a city on May 30, 1955.
- Oriole Homes Corporation: The development of Margate was primarily carried out by the Oriole Homes Corporation, which built many of the early homes in the area.
- David Copperfield: Famous illusionist David Copperfield lived in Margate during his childhood years before gaining international fame for his magic performances.
- Hurricane Andrew: In August 1992, Hurricane Andrew struck South Florida, causing significant damage to Margate and its surrounding areas.
- Calypso Cove Waterpark: Margate is home to Calypso Cove Waterpark, which opened in 1998 and has become a popular recreational spot for residents and visitors alike.
- Veterans Memorial Park: The city has a Veterans Memorial Park that honors local veterans who have served in various military conflicts throughout history.
- Cultural Events: Margate hosts several cultural events throughout the year, including an annual Winter Festival featuring holiday-themed activities and parades.
While these may not be as historically significant compared to other cities or regions with longer histories, they still contribute to shaping the identity of Margate within its local context.
- Coral Springs Museum of Art: Located nearby in neighboring Coral Springs, this museum features contemporary and modern art exhibitions by local and international artists.
- Young At Art Museum: Situated in Davie, a short drive from Margate, this interactive children’s museum offers hands-on exhibits focused on art and creativity.
- Bonnet House Museum & Gardens: A historic home turned museum in Fort Lauderdale, Bonnet House showcases fine art collections amidst beautiful gardens.
- NSU Art Museum Fort Lauderdale: This renowned museum features a diverse collection of modern and contemporary art from around the world.
- Butterfly World: Located just south of Margate in Coconut Creek, Butterfly World is the largest butterfly park in the world with thousands of colorful butterflies flying freely within tropical gardens.
- Flamingo Gardens & Wildlife Sanctuary: Situated west of Margate in Davie, Flamingo Gardens is a botanical garden and wildlife sanctuary offering guided tours through lush landscapes inhabited by native Florida wildlife.
- Sawgrass Recreation Park: Located nearby in Weston, Sawgrass Recreation Park provides airboat tours through the Everglades where visitors can observe alligators and other wildlife up close.
- Pompano Beach Cultural Center: Just north of Margate lies Pompano Beach Cultural Center which hosts various performances including theater shows, concerts, exhibitions, and workshops throughout the year.
- Margate Youth Baseball: Margate Youth Baseball offers baseball programs for children aged 4 to 14. The organization has been active for many years and provides an opportunity for local youth to learn and play baseball.
- Margate Soccer Club: The Margate Soccer Club offers soccer programs for children of all ages and skill levels. They participate in various leagues and tournaments throughout the region.
- Margate Roller Hockey League: The Margate Roller Hockey League organizes roller hockey leagues for both children and adults. It provides a fun and competitive environment for players interested in the sport.
- Coral Springs/Margate Basketball Association: Although technically located in Coral Springs, this basketball association serves both cities by offering basketball programs for boys and girls from kindergarten through high school.
These are just a few examples of sports teams/organizations that operate within or near the city of Margate, United States.
- Margate Fall Funfest: This annual festival takes place in September and features live music, food vendors, crafters, and family-friendly activities.
- Margate Mother’s Day Fashion Stroll: Held on Mother’s Day weekend, this event showcases local fashion boutiques with runway shows and special promotions.
- Margate Beachstock: Known as The Planet’s Biggest Beach Party, Beachstock is held in June and offers live music on multiple stages, sand sculpting competitions, beach games, food vendors, and more.
- Margate Farmers Market: Taking place every Thursday during the summer months (June to August), this farmers market allows visitors to explore locally grown produce, artisanal products, baked goods, crafts while enjoying live entertainment.
- Lucy’s Birthday Celebration: Lucy the Elephant is a historic landmark in Margate that celebrates her birthday every July with special events like guided tours of the structure and family-friendly activities.
- Ventnor-Margate Rotary Club Craft Show: Held annually at the Eugene A. Tighe Middle School in March or April (depending on the year), this craft show features various artisans showcasing their handmade creations.
- Night Out Against Crime & National Night Out Block Party: Organized by local law enforcement agencies in August or October (depending on the year), these events aim to promote community safety through crime prevention programs while offering entertainment for families such as games and food trucks.
These are just a few examples of cultural events and festivals that take place in Margate throughout the year; additional smaller-scale community events may also occur periodically depending on specific dates or occasions within the town itself.
- Tomatoe’s: Known for its Italian-American dishes, Tomatoe’s is a family-friendly restaurant that serves classics like pasta, pizza, and seafood.
- Steve & Cookie’s By the Bay: This waterfront restaurant offers a diverse menu with options such as fresh seafood, steaks, and Mediterranean-inspired dishes. It also has a lively bar scene.
- Sofia Restaurant: Specializing in modern American cuisine with an Italian twist, Sofia Restaurant features dishes made from locally sourced ingredients. Their menu includes items like handmade pasta and wood-fired pizzas.
- Ventura’s Offshore Cafe: A Margate institution since 1986, Ventura’s is famous for its crab cakes and other seafood delights. It offers casual dining with indoor and outdoor seating.
- Johnny’s Café & Cocktails: A local favorite since 1927, Johnny’s Café serves classic American fare including steaks and seafood in an upscale yet relaxed atmosphere.
- Maynard’s Cafe: Known for its beachfront location and lively atmosphere, Maynard’s Cafe is a popular spot for drinks and casual dining with live music performances during summer months.
- Downbeach Deli: This deli-style restaurant is renowned for their overstuffed sandwiches made with high-quality meats piled high on freshly baked bread.
- Lamberti Pizza & Market: Offering traditional New York-style pizza along with other Italian specialties like pasta dishes and calzones to take away or dine-in.
- Calypso Cove Aquatic Facility: This water park features a lazy river, water slides, and a splash playground.
- Firefighters Park: A spacious park with sports fields, picnic areas, a playground, and walking trails.
- David Park Tennis Center: Offers tennis courts for public use as well as lessons and tournaments.
- Oriole Golf Club: A public golf course with 18 holes that provides a challenging game for golf enthusiasts.
- Fern Forest Nature Center: This nature preserve offers walking trails through lush greenery, wildlife viewing opportunities, and educational programs.
- Margate Marina Park: Located on the shores of Lake Margate, this park offers fishing piers and boat ramps for boating enthusiasts.
- Northwest Focal Point Senior Center: Provides various recreational activities for seniors including fitness classes, arts and crafts workshops, and social events.
- Margate Sports Complex: Features baseball fields, soccer fields, batting cages basketball courts tennis courts,and more for sports enthusiasts of all ages.
- Atlantic West Elementary School Playground: A community playground open to the public outside of school hours with play structures suitable for children of all ages.
- Scott Rakow Youth Center & Pool Complex (located nearby in Miami Beach): Offers swimming pools with slides and splash areas along with various youth programs like summer camps and after-school activities.