Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand
Region: Nakhon Ratchasima is located in the province of Nakhon Ratchasima
Geographic Coordinates: 14.975000, 102.100000
Temperature Range: 20.0°C to 35.0°C (68°F to 95°F)
Climate: Seasonal climate and weather patterns in Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand are hot and humid with a wet season from May to October and a dry season from November to April.
Nakhon Ratchasima, Also known as Khorat, Is one of the largest provinces in Thailand located in the northeastern region of the country. It is a vibrant city that offers visitors a unique blend of traditional Thai culture and modern amenities. The city is famous for its rich history, Beautiful temples, Delicious food, And lively nightlife. One of Nakhon Ratchasima’s most popular attractions is the Phimai Historical Park. This ancient Khmer temple complex dates back to the 11th century and features intricate carvings and impressive architecture. Visitors can explore various structures within the park including a library, Sanctuary, And several towers.
Another must-see attraction in Nakhon Ratchasima is Wat Sala Loi. This stunning temple boasts an impressive collection of Buddhist art and architecture that reflects both Thai and Khmer influences. The temple’s centerpiece is a towering golden pagoda that dominates the skyline. For those interested in learning more about Thailand’s history, Nakhon Ratchasima offers several museums worth visiting. The Thao Suranari Museum showcases artifacts from the province’s past including weapons used during battles with neighboring countries. The Korat Museum focuses on local art, Culture, And traditions while also showcasing artifacts from prehistoric times.
Foodies will find plenty to love about Nakhon Ratchasima’s cuisine scene as well. Local specialties include spicy papaya salad (som tam), Grilled chicken (gai yang) served with sticky rice (khao niao), And Isaan-style sausage (sai krok Isan). Visitors can sample these dishes at street stalls or sit-down restaurants throughout the city. for those looking to experience Nakhon Ratchasima’s nightlife scene there are numerous options available ranging from bars serving up cold beers to live music venues featuring local bands playing traditional Thai music or contemporary pop hits.
Overall, Nakhon Ratchasima is a vibrant and fascinating city that offers visitors a unique glimpse into Thailand’s rich culture and history. Whether you’re interested in exploring ancient temples, Sampling local cuisine, Or simply soaking up the lively atmosphere, There’s something for everyone in this bustling city.
- Khao Yai National Park
- Prasat Hin Phimai (Phimai Historical Park)
- Wat Ban Rai
- Thao Suranaree (Ya Mo) Monument
- Korat Zoo
- Dan Kwian Pottery Village
- Lamtakhong Dam
- Wat Sala Loi
- Chokchai Farm
- The Mall Nakhon Ratchasima
The major industries and businesses in Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand:
- Rice as the primary crop
- Automotive parts
- Historical sites such as Phimai Historical Park’s Khmer ruins and the Thao Suranari Monument
- Rajamangala University of Technology Isan (RMUTI) Nakhon Ratchasima Campus for higher education
- Shopping centers like Terminal 21 Korat Shopping Mall and CentralPlaza Nakhon Ratchasima
- Maharat Nakhon Ratchasima Hospital
- Businesses operate due to its location on major transportation routes between Bangkok and Northeastern Thailand
- The Battle of Korat occurred in 1826 when a Siamese army led by Prince Anouvong invaded Nakhon Ratchasima in an attempt to gain independence from Siam. The battle lasted for several days and resulted in the defeat of the Lao army.
- Thao Suranari, also known as Khun Ying Mo, played a significant role in defending Nakhon Ratchasima during the Battle of Korat and is revered as a symbol of bravery and loyalty.
- King Narai ordered the construction of several important temples and monuments in Nakhon Ratchasima during his reign from 1656 to 1688, including Wat Phra Narai Maharat and Phimai Historical Park.
- Nakhon Ratchasima was once part of the Khmer Empire that ruled much of Southeast Asia from the 9th to 15th century AD, with many ancient temples and ruins still present throughout the region.
- The people of Nakhon Ratchasima are proud of their unique Isan culture characterized by traditional music, dance, food, and clothing.
- The Khorat Plateau covers much of northeastern Thailand, including parts of Nakhon Ratchasima province known for its fertile soil and agricultural production.
- In 1933-34, farmers in Pak Thong Chai district rebelled against government officials over land disputes and other grievances leading to Pak Thong Chai Rebellion.
- Wang Nam Khiao District is famous for its cool climate; scenic views; waterfalls; national parks; flower gardens making it picturesque district worth visiting.
Note: This list highlights some notable events/people associated with Nakhon Ratchasima but isn’t exhaustive.
- Thao Suranari Monument- a statue of a heroine who saved the city from invasion in the early 19th century.
- Korat Zoo- a large zoo with over 2,000 animals from around the world.
- Wat Phra Narai Maharat- an ancient temple with beautiful architecture and intricate carvings.
- Maha Weerawong National Museum- a museum showcasing Thai art, culture, and history.
- Khao Yai National Park- a stunning national park with waterfalls, hiking trails, and wildlife such as elephants and tigers.
- Prasat Hin Phimai- an impressive Khmer temple complex dating back to the 11th century.
- Dan Kwian Pottery Village- a village known for its traditional pottery-making techniques and beautiful ceramics.
- Lamtakhong Dam and Reservoir -a picturesque spot for boating, fishing or just relaxing by the water’s edge.
- Terminal 21 Korat shopping mall – A modern shopping mall that has become one of Nakhon Ratchasima’s most popular destinations for locals and tourists alike.
- Thai Silk Village – A place where visitors can learn about Thailand’s silk industry while also seeing how silk is made through demonstrations given by local artisans.
- Nakhon Ratchasima F.C.: A professional football club established in 1998 that is located in Nakhon Ratchasima. The team, also known as The Swat Cats, competes in the Thai League 1 and has a dedicated following.
- Korat Basketball Club: This professional basketball team is one of the top contenders in the Thailand Basketball League (TBL) and was founded in 2016.
- Nakhon Ratchasima Volleyball Club: This women’s volleyball club has won multiple championships since its establishment in 2014 and competes in the Thailand Volleyball League (TVL).
- Korat Cycling Club: This cycling club aims to promote cycling as both a sport and mode of transportation by organizing regular rides around Nakhon Ratchasima and other areas of Thailand.
- Korat Muay Thai Gym: Muay Thai, or Thai boxing, is a national sport of Thailand with numerous gyms across the country where people can learn this martial art form. The Korat Muay Thai Gym provides training for beginners to advanced fighters alike and is situated within Nakhon Ratchasima itself.
- Korat Food and Culture Festival celebrates the local cuisine and cultural heritage of Nakhon Ratchasima. Visitors can sample traditional dishes, watch cultural performances, and participate in workshops.
- Thao Suranari Festival honors the heroic deeds of Thao Suranari, a local heroine who helped defend the city against invading armies in the 19th century. The festival includes parades, music performances, and traditional Thai games.
- Songkran Festival is celebrated throughout Thailand with water fights and other festivities to mark Thai New Year. In Nakhon Ratchasima, visitors can take part in parades and cultural activities during this three-day event.
- Khao Yai Wine Festival showcases wines from vineyards in the Khao Yai region of Nakhon Ratchasima province annually. Visitors can taste a variety of wines from local producers while enjoying live music and food stalls.
- Dan Kwian Pottery Fair is an annual event held at Dan Kwian village which is famous for its pottery production in Nakhon Ratchasima province. The fair features exhibitions of traditional ceramics as well as modern designs created by local artists.
- Lam Takhong Dam Festival takes place at Lam Takhong Dam near Nakhon Ratchasima city center, one of Thailand’s largest reservoirs annually. Activities include boat races, fishing competitions, and concerts featuring popular Thai musicians.
- Bua Tong Blossom Festival celebrates blooming Mexican sunflowers also known as Bua Tong flowers between November to December at Phu Phra Bat Buabok Forest Park every year. These beautiful flowers cover vast areas on hillsides creating an amazing yellow carpet like view for visitors to trek through trails lined with these flowers whilst taking part in various activities such as folk games, music performances and food stalls.
- Pad Thai Tevada is a local favorite for their delicious pad thai.
- Korat Beef Noodle, found at various street stalls and restaurants around the city, is a must-try dish in Nakhon Ratchasima.
- Krua Khun Toi is a popular spot for traditional Thai dishes like tom yum soup, green curry, and papaya salad.
- Baan Mai Rim Nam is a riverside restaurant that serves up fresh seafood dishes such as grilled river prawns and spicy fish soup.
- The Pizza Company is a well-known chain restaurant that offers various western-style dishes including pizzas and pastas.
- Suan Bua Restaurant can be found within the grounds of the Sima Thani Hotel where they serve authentic Thai cuisine in an exquisite garden setting.
- Baan Rai Lanna Resort & Restaurant offers traditional Northern Thai cuisine in a serene natural setting outside of the city center resembling more of a resort than just another restaurant.
- Khao Yai Winery & Vineyard Restaurant located just outside of Nakhon Ratchasima in the Khao Yai wine region provides stunning views along with delicious food and wine pairings making it worth visiting when you’re around!
- Korat Fossil Museum and Park
- Maha Weerawong National Park
- Thao Suranari Monument and Park
- Lamtakhong Dam Recreational Area
- Khao Yai National Park
- Suan Nai Dum Forest Park
- Wat Sala Loi Public Park
- Chumpol Pakdi Public Garden
- Srimahaphot Memorial Public Garden
- Nakhon Ratchasima Zoo