Region: Olomouc is located in the Olomouc Region
Geographic Coordinates: 49.593900, 17.250800
Temperature Range: -30.0°C to 40.0°C (-22°F to 104°F)
Climate: Cold winters, mild springs and autumns, and warm summers with occasional thunderstorms.
Olomouc is a charming city situated in the eastern part of the Czech Republic, Approximately 200 km east of Prague. It is often overlooked by tourists in favor of more popular cities like Prague and Brno, But it has a lot to offer visitors. The Old Town Square is the heart of Olomouc and boasts beautiful Baroque buildings surrounding it. The Holy Trinity Column dominates the square and was built as a monument to those who died during a plague epidemic.
This UNESCO World Heritage Site stands at over 35 meters tall and features intricate sculptures depicting scenes from the Bible. St. Wenceslas Cathedral, Dating back to the 11th century, Has an impressive Gothic facade that visitors can admire. Inside, There are stunning frescoes painted by famous Czech artist Josef Váchal. Olomouc’s network of underground tunnels running beneath its city center is one of its most unique features. These tunnels were originally used for storage but later served as shelters during wartime. Today they are open for tours where visitors can learn about their fascinating history.
The city also has a vibrant cultural scene with numerous museums, Galleries, Theaters and music venues scattered throughout it. Foodies will enjoy sampling traditional Moravian cuisine such as smažený sýr (fried cheese), Knedlíky (dumplings) with goulash or svíčková (beef sirloin with cream sauce). There are plenty of restaurants serving up these local specialties alongside international cuisine options. one cannot leave Olomouc without trying the famous Olomoucké tvarůžky – pungent cheese that is a beloved local delicacy made from skimmed milk with a distinct odor and flavor that’s definitely worth trying.
Olomouc may be lesser-known than other Czech cities but it has plenty to offer visitors – stunning architecture, Rich history, Lively cultural scene, And delicious cuisine.
- Holy Trinity Column is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the largest Baroque monument in Central Europe.
- Olomouc Astronomical Clock is a unique astronomical clock with moving figures and a calendar of saints.
- St. Wenceslas Cathedral is the main church of Olomouc, featuring Gothic and Baroque elements.
- Archbishop’s Palace is a grand Baroque palace that serves as the residence of the Archbishop of Olomouc.
- Town Hall Tower is an iconic tower with panoramic views over the city center.
- Upper Square (Horní náměstí) is a picturesque square surrounded by historic buildings, including the Town Hall and Holy Trinity Column.
- Lower Square (Dolní náměstí) is another charming square with colorful facades and outdoor cafes.
- Museum of Modern Art showcases contemporary art from Czechia and beyond.
- Smetana Park is an urban park with walking paths, playgrounds, and outdoor fitness equipment.
- Olomouc Zoo houses over 300 animal species from around the world.
- Food products
- Software development services
- Web design and development services
- IT consulting services
- Several universities and research institutions
- Several hospitals and medical centers
- Historic landmarks like the Holy Trinity Column, St Wenceslas Cathedral, and Archbishop’s Palace
- Battle of Olomouc (1758) was a significant battle during the Seven Years’ War, where Prussian forces defeated an Austrian army.
- Olomouc Declaration (1945) was a political statement issued by Czechoslovakia’s political leaders in Olomouc, calling for the reunification of Czechs and Slovaks.
- Archbishop John Sarkander was a Catholic priest who was tortured and executed in 1620 for refusing to reveal the contents of his confessional.
- Ferdinand II, Holy Roman Emperor ruled from 1619-1637 and played a key role in the Thirty Years’ War.
- Gregor Mendel was an Augustinian friar and scientist who conducted groundbreaking experiments on pea plants that led to the discovery of genetics.
- St Wenceslaus Cathedral is a stunning Gothic cathedral that is one of Olomouc’s most recognizable landmarks.
- Karel Havlíček Borovský was a prominent Czech journalist, writer, and politician who played an important role in Czech nationalism during the mid-19th century.
- Palacký University Olomouc is one of the oldest universities in Central Europe, founded in 1573 by Jesuits as part of their educational mission.
- Olomouc Synagogue is a Jewish synagogue built-in 1897 which was destroyed during World War II but later restored after its reconstruction it became one of Europe’s largest synagogues.
- Tomas Garrigue Masaryk- The first President of Czechoslovakia was born near Hodonín which is located near Olomuc’.
- SK Sigma Olomouc: Founded in 1919, SK Sigma Olomouc is the most popular football club in Olomouc. The team has played several seasons in the Czech First League, which is the top tier of Czech football. In 2012, they won their first major trophy, the Czech Cup.
- HC Olomouc: HC Olomouc is an ice hockey team that was founded in 1945. Over the years, they have played in various leagues and currently compete at the top tier of ice hockey in the country – Czech Extraliga.
- VK UP Olomouc: VK UP Olomouc is a women’s volleyball team that was founded in 1994. They have won multiple titles and competed at various international tournaments.
- BC NH Ostrava: BC NH Ostrava is a basketball team based out of Ostrava but plays some games at Hala Lokovotiva Arena located near to city center of Olmuc. The club was formed after merger between BK Opava and BK Nova Hut Ostrava. The club plays its home games at ČEZ Aréna.
- Olomouce Handball Team: HC Dukla Praha became champions for second time after beating Talent M.A.T Plzeň by scoreline 32-24. They play domestic handball league as well as European handball league matches too.
These are just some examples of sports teams with rich histories from Olmuc, Czechia. There are many other clubs and organizations dedicated to various sports such as athletics, cycling or martial arts etc., making it clear that sport holds an important place within the city’s culture.
- Olomouc Baroque Festival is a music festival that celebrates the city’s rich baroque heritage.
- Flora Olomouc is a flower and garden exhibition held annually in May.
- International Organ Festival is a series of concerts featuring world-renowned organists held throughout the summer months.
- During December, the city is filled with festive Christmas Markets selling traditional Czech food, crafts, and gifts.
- Hanácké Slavnosti is an annual folk festival celebrating the traditions of the Haná region with live music, dance performances, and traditional costumes.
- St Wenceslas Pilgrimage is a religious pilgrimage to Velehrad in honor of St Wenceslas, patron saint of Bohemia.
- Olomouc Wine Festivals are held twice every year in May and September with wine tasting events from local wineries as well as musical performances and cultural activities.
- Trnkobraní takes place annually in August where people celebrate plums by eating plum dumplings, drinking plum brandy or dancing to live music performances.
- Olomoucke Tvaruzky Festivities are dedicated to celebrating one of Olomouc’s most famous exports: Tvarůžky cheese which includes cooking contests or cheese tasting events among others.
- Hanácká Hospoda is a traditional Czech restaurant that serves local dishes like roasted duck, potato pancakes, and beef goulash.
- Moravska Restaurace is a cozy restaurant that offers regional specialties such as Olomouc cheese soup, pork knuckle with sauerkraut and dumplings, and fruit dumplings for dessert.
- Svatováclavský Pivovar is a brewery and restaurant that serves homemade beer along with classic Czech dishes like schnitzel with potato salad or roasted pork knee.
- U Bílé Kuželky is a historic pub dating back to the 16th century that offers an extensive selection of beers from local breweries along with hearty Czech food like roast beef with bread dumplings.
- Café 87 is a trendy café known for its delicious coffee, homemade cakes, and light bites such as avocado toast or quinoa salad.
- La Petite Ferme is a French-inspired bistro serving gourmet dishes made from locally sourced ingredients such as foie gras terrine or seared scallops with truffle risotto.
- Šatlava Restaurant & Bar is located in the heart of Olomouc’s historic center and offers modern European cuisine including grilled octopus salad or slow-cooked lamb shank in red wine sauce.
- Smetanovy sady (Smetana Gardens)
- Bezručovy sady (Bezruč Gardens)
- Botanická zahrada (Botanical Garden)
- Městský stadion (City Stadium)
- Koupaliště Dlouhá louka (Dlouhá Louka Swimming Pool)
- ZOO Olomouc
- Hradisko Park
- Velké Losiny Thermal Spa
- Moravský kras Protected Landscape Area
- Lower Morava River Valley Protected Landscape Area