Pembroke Pines, Florida
Geographic Coordinates: 26.012800, -80.338200
Temperature Range: 19.0°C to 34.0°C (66°F to 93°F)
Pembroke Pines is a city situated in Broward County, Florida, United States. It is the second most populous city in the county and eleventh most populous city in Florida. The city spans over 35.3 square miles and had a population of 173, 591 according to the 2020 census. The town was incorporated in 1960 and became a city by 1999. Its name was derived from its location along Pembroke Road and the abundance of pine trees during that time.
Pembroke Pines has experienced rapid growth due to its proximity to major highways such as I-75 and I-95, Attracting businesses and residents alike. The economy of Pembroke Pines is diverse with various industries like healthcare, Retail, Education, Hospitality among others contributing significantly to its growth. Notable companies with headquarters or branches located here include Memorial Healthcare System and American Express Regional Center South Florida Operations Center. Education is also an important aspect of life in Pembroke Pines with several highly rated schools serving students from pre-kindergarten through high school level.
The Broward College South Campus provides higher education opportunities for residents. Recreation opportunities are abundant within Pembroke Pines with over thirty parks offering everything from playgrounds to sports fields to picnic areas and walking trails. C.B Smith Park which spans over 300 acres offers camping facilities along with water activities like swimming pools water slides among other amenities making it one of South Florida’s largest parks.
For those interested in shopping or dining out there are plenty of options available within Pembroke Pines including shopping centers like Pembroke Lakes Mall which features popular stores like Macy’s Dillard’s JCPenney among others while restaurants range from fast food chains to upscale eateries serving cuisines ranging from Italian Chinese Mexican Japanese among others. Overall, Pembroke Pines is a vibrant city that offers something for everyone; whether you’re looking for work opportunities or just want to visit and explore the city’s many attractions.
- C.B. Smith Park
- Pembroke Lakes Mall
- Flamingo Gardens
- Chapel Trail Nature Preserve
- The Shops at Pembroke Gardens
- Pines Ice Arena
- Grand Palms Golf and Country Club
- Silver Lakes Park
- Rose Price Park
- Pembroke Pines Theatre of the Performing Arts
Major Industries and Businesses in Pembroke Pines, United States
- Real Estate
Largest Employers in Pembroke Pines
- Memorial Healthcare System
- Broward County Public Schools
- City of Pembroke Pines government offices and services
- Walmart Supercenter
Other Notable Companies with a Presence in Pembroke Pines
- Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.
- American Express Financial Advisors Inc.
- Wachovia Bank (now Wells Fargo)
- ADT Security Services Inc.
- Publix Super Markets Inc.
- Marriott International Inc.
- Hilton Worldwide Holdings Inc.
- The land that is now Pembroke Pines was originally inhabited by the Tequesta and Seminole tribes.
- In 1937, Walter Smith purchased land in the area and named it Pembroke Pines Dairy Farm.
- In 1959, Pembroke Pines was incorporated as a city.
- During the 1960s and 1970s, the city experienced rapid growth and development.
- Notable people from Pembroke Pines include rapper Kodak Black, NFL player Geno Atkins, and actress Bella Thorne.
- The city is home to several parks and recreational areas including C.B Smith Park which features a water park, golf course, and campgrounds.
- In 1992 Hurricane Andrew caused significant damage to the area but spurred redevelopment efforts in its aftermath.
- The Broward College South Campus is located in Pembroke Pines offering higher education opportunities for residents of the area.
- Pembroke Lakes Mall opened in 1992 providing residents with shopping options close to home.
- The City of Pembroke Pine’s charter school system has been recognized as one of the best public school systems in Florida.
- The Frank Art Gallery is a contemporary art gallery that showcases both local and international artists.
- Pembroke Pines City Center serves as a cultural hub for the community, hosting concerts, theater performances, and art exhibitions.
- C.B. Smith Park is a large park that offers picnic areas, bike trails, and fishing lakes for visitors to enjoy.
- Chapel Trail Nature Preserve spans over 450 acres of land and features hiking trails and wildlife viewing opportunities.
- Flamingo Gardens is a beautiful botanical garden that highlights native Florida plants and animals such as alligators and flamingos.
- Young At Art Museum is an interactive children’s museum with exhibits on art, science, and culture – perfect for families with young ones!
- Pines Ice Arena provides visitors with an indoor ice skating rink where they can participate in public skating sessions or join ice hockey leagues.
- Miramar Cultural Center ArtsPark Amphitheater is an outdoor amphitheater that hosts concerts, plays, and other cultural events throughout the year – great for enjoying live entertainment under the stars!
- Schacknow Museum of Fine Arts features artwork from all over the world – perfect for those who appreciate fine arts from various cultures.
- Pembroke Lakes Mall offers plenty of stores to shop at – ideal for those looking to indulge in some retail therapy!
- Pembroke Pines Optimist Football: A youth football program since 1972 offering tackle football for kids aged 5 to 15.
- Pembroke Pines Little League Baseball: A youth baseball league since 1983 offering baseball for kids aged 4 to 16.
- Pembroke Pines Soccer Club: A youth soccer club founded in 1976 offering soccer for kids aged 4 to18.
- West Broward Bobcats: A high school football team representing West Broward High School in Pembroke Pines.
- Charles W Flanagan High School Falcons: Another high school team from Flanagan High School playing various sports including basketball, football, volleyball etc.
- Pembroke Pines Art Festival
- Pembroke Pines Food and Wine Festival
- Memorial Day Ceremony and Parade
- Independence Day Celebration and Fireworks Show
- Halloween Spooktacular event
- Winterfest Holiday Parade and Celebration
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service event
- Chinese New Year Celebration at the Charles F Dodge City Center Pembroke Pines
- Pembroke Lakes Optimist Club’s Annual 5K Run/Walk for Childhood Cancer Awareness
- Pembroke Pines Hispanic Heritage Festival
- La Brasa Rotisserie & Grill – serves Peruvian cuisine, including their famous rotisserie chicken.
- Capriccio Ristorante – offers Italian dishes such as pasta, pizza, and seafood.
- Mojo Donuts & Fried Chicken – known for their creative donut flavors and crispy fried chicken.
- The Halal Guys – serves Middle Eastern food like gyros, falafel sandwiches, and hummus plates.
- My Ceviche – specializes in fresh ceviche made with locally sourced seafood.
- Brio Tuscan Grille – offers classic Italian dishes like pasta, risotto, and grilled meats.
- Salsa Fiesta Grill – known for their fresh Mexican cuisine including tacos, burritos, and bowls.
- Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurant – combines wine tasting with contemporary American cuisine featuring steak and seafood dishes.
- PDQ (People Dedicated to Quality) – a fast-casual restaurant chain that specializes in hand-breaded chicken tenders served with homemade sauces.
- BJ’s Restaurant & Brewhouse- a casual dining restaurant offering a wide variety of menu items from burgers to pizzas along with craft beer options.
- C.B. Smith Park offers a variety of recreational activities such as fishing, swimming, camping, and hiking.
- Rose Price Park has basketball courts, picnic areas, and a playground for children.
- Pembroke Shores Park has soccer fields, tennis courts, and a walking trail.
- Silver Lakes North Park has baseball fields, basketball courts, and a skatepark.
- Chapel Trail Nature Preserve offers hiking trails and birdwatching opportunities.
- Walter C Young Resource Center has an aquatic center with swimming pools and water slides.
- Towngate Park has baseball fields, soccer fields, and a playground for children.
- Flamingo West Park has tennis courts and picnic areas for families to enjoy outdoor activities together.
- Fletcher Art & Cultural Center is dedicated to the arts featuring galleries & theater performances.
- Pines Ice Arena is an indoor ice skating rink offering public skating sessions & hockey leagues.
These teams have varying degrees of success over the years but all play an important role in promoting sports and physical activity among young people in the Pembroke Pines community.