Geographic Coordinates: 36.783300, 119.956000
Temperature Range: -20.0°C to 35.0°C (-4°F to 95°F)
Pingdu is a county-level city located in the eastern part of Shandong Province, China. It is situated on the southern coast of the Shandong Peninsula and covers an area of 1, 820 square kilometers. The city has a population of over 1 million people, With the majority being Han Chinese. Pingdu has a long history dating back to the Eastern Zhou Dynasty (770-256 BC). During this period, It was known as Pengcheng and was an important center for trade and commerce. Over time, Pingdu became an important agricultural region due to its fertile land and favorable climate.
Today, Pingdu is known for its production of fruits such as apples, Pears, Peaches, Grapes and kiwifruit. The city’s apple production is particularly famous throughout China and has earned Pingdu the nickname Apple City. In addition to agriculture, Other industries such as manufacturing and tourism are also significant contributors to the local economy. One notable tourist attraction in Pingdu is Mount Lao National Forest Park. Located just outside the city center, This park features stunning natural scenery including forests with ancient trees that have been standing for centuries.
Visitors can hike along various trails while enjoying panoramic views of mountainsides covered in lush greenery. Another popular destination in Pingdu is Qingdao International Golf Club. This world-class golf course attracts both professional golfers and amateurs alike who come to enjoy its challenging fairways set against breathtaking ocean views. In terms of infrastructure development in recent years there have been improvements made to transportation networks within Pingdu which include new highways connecting it with nearby cities such as Qingdao or Weifang making traveling easier than ever before!
Overall, Pingdu offers visitors a unique blend of natural beauty combined with modern amenities making it an ideal destination for those seeking adventure or relaxation alike!
- Pingdu Confucian Temple: A temple dedicated to the Chinese philosopher Confucius.
- Lingshan Mountain Scenic Area: A scenic area with beautiful landscapes and hiking trails.
- Qingdao International Golf Club: A golf course designed by Jack Nicklaus.
- Yulong Mountain National Forest Park: A national park with stunning scenery and outdoor activities such as camping and hiking.
- Tiantai Mountain Scenic Area: Another scenic area with hiking trails and beautiful views.
- Shangqing Palace of Taoism: An ancient palace that houses artifacts related to Taoism.
- The Old Town of Pingdu: An old town with traditional architecture, shops, and restaurants showcasing local culture and cuisine.
- Fuyan Temple Pagoda: A pagoda built during the Tang dynasty that offers panoramic views of the city from its top floor observation deck.
- Jiaozhou Bay Bridge: One of the longest bridges in China that connects Qingdao to Huangdao across Jiaozhou Bay.
- Pingdu Century Square: A large public square in downtown Pingdu offering various shopping centers, entertainment venues, restaurants etc.
- The major industries and businesses in Pingdu, China are:
- Production of fruits and vegetables, including:
- Machinery equipment
- Construction materials
- Natural scenery such as mountains and rivers
- Cultural attractions like the ancient town of Laiwu
- The Battle of Langya, which was fought in 400 BC between the states of Qi and Lu near Pingdu. It resulted in a victory for Qi.
- Kong Rong, a famous scholar and politician who was born in Pingdu during the Han dynasty (206 BC–220 AD). He made significant contributions to Confucianism.
- During the Boxer Rebellion in 1900, several foreign missionaries were killed near Pingdu as anti-foreigner sentiments spread throughout China.
- Deng Xiaoping played an instrumental role in modernizing China’s economy during the late 20th century and visited Pingdu on several occasions to inspect its industrial development.
- The Longshan Culture existed from around 3000 BC to 2000 BC in what is now Shandong province, including areas around Pingdu.
- Zhang Ziyi, a famous Chinese actress known for her roles in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Memoirs of a Geisha spent part of her childhood living with her grandparents in Pingdu although she was born in Beijing.
- Wang Chuanfu grew up near Pingdu before founding BYD Company which is one of China’s largest electric vehicle manufacturers.
- Liu Xiang trained at Olympic Sports Center located at Pingdu city before winning Olympic gold medal for hurdling at Athens Olympics Games while he hails from Shanghai.
- Pingdu Museum
- Shuangshan Island Scenic Area
- Pingdu Confucian Temple
- Jufeng Mountain Scenic Area
- Huiquan Square
- Xinzhuang Park
- Qingdao Sculpture Park Pingdu Branch
- Weifang World Kite Museum
- The Pingdu International Kite Festival is a yearly event held in April that celebrates the art of kite flying through various competitions and exhibitions.
- The Pingdu Peach Blossom Festival takes place in March or April and commemorates the blooming of peach blossoms with cultural performances, food stalls, and traditional activities.
- In August, the Pingdu Watermelon Festival celebrates the local watermelon harvest with contests for the largest and sweetest watermelons.
- While not technically located in Pingdu, Qingdao hosts one of China’s biggest beer festivals every August – known as the Qingdao International Beer Festival.
- Chinese New Year celebrations are observed in Pingdu (and many other parts of China) with lively fireworks displays, lantern festivals, and dragon dances – usually occurring in January or February.
- Mid-Autumn Festival is another significant holiday celebrated throughout China (typically falling in September) where mooncakes are enjoyed alongside family gatherings to appreciate the full moon’s beauty.
- Every year at Qufu (about an hour’s drive from Pingdu), people gather to celebrate Confucius’ legacy through traditional rituals and performances such as drumming ceremonies and temple fairs during Confucius Cultural Tourism Festival.
- Pingdu Roast Duck (平度烤鸭) – a famous dish made with roasted duck that has crispy skin and tender meat.
- Shandong-style Fried Dumplings (山东煎饺) – a type of dumpling that is pan-fried until crispy on the bottom but still soft on top.
- Seafood Hotpot (海鲜火锅) – a popular dish in Pingdu due to its proximity to the sea. The hotpot usually contains fresh seafood like shrimp, crab, fish, and clams.
- Quanjude Roast Duck Restaurant (全聚德烤鸭店) – a well-known chain restaurant that serves delicious roast duck dishes.
- Lao Cheng Yi Guan Restaurant (老成一官菜馆) – a local restaurant that specializes in traditional Shandong cuisine such as Braised Pork Belly with Soy Sauce (红烧肉), Sweet and Sour Mandarin Fish (桂花鱼), and Scallion Pancakes (葱油饼).
- Jin Ding Xuan Restaurant (金鼎轩食府) – another popular restaurant in Pingdu that serves authentic Chinese dishes including Sichuan-style Spicy Chicken(口水鸡), Steamed Pork with Rice Flour(肉粉蒸肉), etc.
- Zheng He Seafood Restaurant(郑和海参馆)-A famous seafood restaurant located at Hushan Bay Area of Pingdu known for its fresh seafood varieties like lobsters, crabs, shrimps, and other sea creatures.
- Pingdu City Forest Park
- Pingdu Sports Center
- Shangdong Agricultural University Botanical Garden
- Baiyun Mountain Scenic Area
- Qingdao Jiaonan National Wetland Park
- Xinyihe Park
- Chengyang Century Park
- Dazeshan National Forest Park
- Shandong Provincial Museum of Natural History
- Lingshan Bay Seaside Resort