Geographic Coordinates: 34.460300, 113.028000
Temperature Range: -30.0°C to 40.0°C (-22°F to 104°F)
Songyang is a stunning county located in Zhejiang province, China. Covering an area of 2, 122 square kilometers and home to around 400, 000 people, It boasts a rich history dating back to the Tang dynasty. The county features impressive natural landscapes including mountains, Rivers, Forests, And waterfalls. One of the most notable attractions in Songyang is the Shenxianju Scenic Area which comprises several peaks covered with lush greenery all year round. Visitors can enjoy hiking trails through bamboo forests and past waterfalls.
Another popular attraction is the Songyin River Rafting experience which runs for approximately 25 kilometers through incredible scenery featuring towering cliffs and dense vegetation. For those interested in history and culture, There are several ancient temples located throughout Songyang County worth visiting such as Longquan Temple dating back to the Tang dynasty era (618-907 AD). The county also hosts an annual International Bamboo Culture Festival showcasing traditional Chinese bamboo crafts along with modern applications such as construction materials for sustainable buildings.
Songyang’s cuisine is another highlight featuring fresh locally grown produce like bamboo shoots, Tea leaves or mushrooms used to prepare delicious dishes unique to this region like Bamboo shoot chicken soup or Tea-flavored fish stewed in earthen pot. Songyang County offers visitors a chance to explore breathtaking natural scenery while experiencing traditional Chinese culture firsthand through its temples and festivals along with local cuisine that will leave your taste buds wanting more. It is a must-visit destination for any traveler looking to experience the beauty and culture of China.
- Shenxianju Scenic Area: This scenic area is situated in the southern part of Songyang and is renowned for its natural beauty, which includes waterfalls, streams, and rock formations.
- Huangshan Mountain: Huangshan Mountain is a UNESCO World Heritage Site located on the boundary between Anhui and Zhejiang provinces. It’s known for its stunning scenery of granite peaks and pine trees.
- Xianxia Ridge: This ridge provides awe-inspiring views of nearby mountains and valleys.
- Qianzhangyan Scenic Area: This area boasts a unique landscape of karst formations that look like giant mushrooms.
- Wuyanling National Nature Reserve: This nature reserve is well-known for its biodiversity and pristine forests that are home to rare animals such as clouded leopards and Chinese pangolins.
- Shangqing Temple: Built during the Tang Dynasty (618-907), this ancient temple features beautiful architecture and cultural relics.
- Qingliang Peak: Located in the eastern part of Songyang County, Qingliang Peak offers stunning views of nearby mountains and valleys.
- Yinyuan Grand Canyon Scenic Area: The towering cliffs that are over 1 kilometer high along with crystal clear streams running through it make this canyon a must-visit destination.
- Bamboo products (baskets, furniture, handicrafts)
- High-quality green tea production
- Natural scenic beauty (Mount Huangshan, Shangrao National Forest Park)
- Construction materials
- Machinery manufacturing
- The establishment of Songyang County in 279 AD during the Jin Dynasty.
- The construction of the Guanyin Bridge, a famous ancient bridge in Songyang that dates back to the Tang Dynasty (618-907).
- The birthplace of Zhang Daqian (1899-1983), a famous Chinese painter known for his landscapes, flower-and-bird paintings, and figure paintings.
- The site of several important battles during the Ming-Qing transition period (1644-1662) when rebels fought against Qing troops.
- The location where Mao Zedong’s Red Army passed through during their Long March in 1935-1936.
- A center for tea production since ancient times, with many famous tea varieties originating from this region such as Songyang Maojian tea and Huangshan Maofeng tea.
- Home to several important temples including Tianzhu Temple and Yunhe Ancestral Temple which are both over 1,000 years old.
- A place where many scholars and poets have lived throughout history such as Su Shi (1037-1101) who wrote about his travels through this area in his work Ode to Red Cliff.
- Songyang Confucian Temple is a historical temple that honors the renowned Chinese philosopher, Confucius.
- Songyang Academy, established during the Ming Dynasty, served as an important center for education and culture.
- Shuiyu Village is a charming village known for its well-preserved traditional architecture and stunning scenery.
- Taohuayuan Scenic Area offers breathtaking natural landscapes with waterfalls, lakes, and mountains.
- Wuyuan Ancient Village boasts ancient buildings, streets, and bridges that reflect the local culture and history.
- Xinchang Ancient Town has maintained its traditional layout and architecture from the Ming Dynasty era.
- The Songyang County Museum showcases artifacts, exhibits, and interactive displays that highlight the history of Songyang County.
- Jiulong Mountain Scenic Area is located in western Zhejiang province and features numerous peaks over 1000 meters tall along with deep valleys full of streams which create beautiful waterfalls throughout the year.
- Songyang Tulou Festival celebrates the unique architecture of the tulou buildings in Songyang, which are UNESCO World Heritage sites.
- Songyang Tea Culture Festival celebrates the tea culture of Songyang and features tea tastings, performances, and workshops.
- Dongxiang Cultural Festival celebrates the Dongxiang ethnic minority group in Songyang and features traditional music, dance, and food.
- Lishui International Photography Festival takes place annually in nearby Lishui city and attracts photographers from around the world to showcase their work.
- Chinese New Year celebrations include fireworks displays, dragon dances, and family gatherings in Songyang as well as other parts of China.
- Lantern Festival marks the end of Chinese New Year celebrations with lantern displays throughout the town.
- Mid-Autumn Festival is a harvest festival celebrated with mooncakes (a traditional pastry), lanterns, and family gatherings to admire the full moon in Songyang.
- Double Ninth Festival or Chongyang Festival honors elderly people with activities such as hiking or visiting scenic spots together with their families or friends on Senior Citizens’ Day in Songyang.
- Songyang bamboo shoots
- Songyang dried tofu
- Songyang smoked pork
Some popular restaurants in Songyang, China include:
- Yijia Restaurant (一家餐厅)
- Xianju Mountain Wild Vegetable Restaurant (仙居山野菜馆)
- Lianhua Restaurant (莲花饭店)
- Songyang Tianma Mountain National Forest Park
- Songyang Xianju National Scenic Area
- Songyang Wuyanling National Forest Park
- Shangli Ancient Town Scenic Area
- Yuntai Mountain Scenic Area
- Doushan Lake Scenic Area
- Jiuqu River Rafting
- Huiyuan Hot Spring Resort
- Qingyunshan Ecological Tourism Zone
- Dongtou Island Beach Resort