Springs, South Africa
Geographic Coordinates: -26.254700, 28.442800
Temperature Range: 10.0°C to 30.0°C (50°F to 86°F)
Climate: Spring’s climate and weather patterns vary throughout the year.
Springs is a city located in the Gauteng province of South Africa, Approximately 50 kilometers east of Johannesburg. It has a population of over 200, 000 people and was established as a mining town in the late 19th century. Today, It remains an important center for mining and manufacturing industries. One of Springs’ most notable features is its rich history, Particularly its role in the struggle against apartheid. Visitors can learn more about this history by visiting sites such as the Springs History Museum.
Springs is also known for its natural beauty with rolling hills and lush vegetation surrounding the city. Outdoor activities such as hiking, Cycling, And birdwatching are popular here with Marievale Bird Sanctuary and Krugersdorp Game Reserve being two popular spots. The city also boasts a vibrant cultural scene hosting several annual festivals celebrating music, Food, Arts, And crafts. Visitors can explore local galleries showcasing works by South African artists or attend performances at one of several theaters.
For those interested in shopping or dining out there are plenty of options too with several malls throughout the city offering everything from high-end fashion to local crafts. The food scene is diverse too with traditional South African dishes available at local restaurants alongside international cuisine at many eateries. Overall Springs has something for everyone making it an ideal destination on your next trip through South Africa!
- Springs Mall
- Springs Civic Theatre
- Blesbokspruit Wetland Reserve
- Springs Golf Club
- Marievale Bird Sanctuary
- Krugersdorp Game Reserve
- Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve
- The Apartheid Museum
- Gold Reef City Amusement Park and Casino
- Johannesburg Zoo
- Service sector
The city is known for its:
- Gold and coal mines
- Steel production
- Automotive manufacturing
- Chemical processing
- Food processing
There are also several:
- Retail centers
- Shopping malls
The growing service sector includes:
- Healthcare facilities
- Education institutions
- Professional services such as legal firms and financial institutions
- The discovery of the first gold in South Africa in 1884 led to the establishment of Springs as a mining town.
- During the Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902), British forces occupied Springs and used it as a base for operations against the Boers.
- The Rand Rebellion (1922) was a failed uprising by white miners against their working conditions and low wages, resulting in over 200 deaths.
- Dr Hendrik Verwoerd, one of South Africa’s most controversial politicians and architects of apartheid, lived in Springs before becoming Prime Minister in 1958.
- Cyril Ramaphosa, current President of South Africa and former trade unionist and businessman, grew up in Springs and attended school there.
- The Sharpeville Massacre (1960) was a turning point in South African history when police opened fire on peaceful protesters demonstrating against apartheid laws, killing 69 people.
- Many anti-apartheid activists were born or raised in Springs including Steve Biko who attended St Francis College before studying medicine at Natal University.
- The Nelson Mandela Museum is a tribute to the life and legacy of Nelson Mandela, one of South Africa’s most renowned leaders.
- The Springs Art Gallery showcases the work of local artists and hosts frequent exhibitions.
- The Far East Rand Hospital Museum is situated in the former hospital building and narrates the story of healthcare in Springs.
- The Springs Civic Centre is a cultural hub that presents various events throughout the year, including concerts, theatre productions, and art exhibitions.
- The Marievale Bird Sanctuary is located just outside Springs and offers excellent opportunities for birdwatching with over 200 species of birds calling it home.
- The James Hall Transport Museum exhibits an impressive collection of vintage cars, motorcycles, bicycles, and other modes of transport from around South Africa.
- The Bakerton Baths Swimming Pool Complex is a popular summer destination among locals with multiple pools catering to all ages.
- Grootvaly Nature Reserve provides hiking trails through grasslands where visitors can spot antelope such as blesbok or springbok as well as smaller mammals like meerkats or mongoose.
- Springs Rugby Club: Founded in 1906, the club has a long history of success in rugby union. They have won several championships and produced many notable players.
- Springs Football Club: Established in 1924, the team has played in various leagues over the years. They have had periods of success and struggle.
- Springs Netball Club: Started in the 1970s, the club has become one of the most successful netball teams in South Africa. They have won numerous championships at both regional and national levels.
- Springs Golf Club: Founded in 1913, this club is one of the oldest golf clubs in South Africa. It has hosted several prestigious tournaments over the years.
- Springs Cricket Club: Established around 1905, this club has a rich history and tradition of cricket excellence.
- Bluegum Athletics Club: This running club was founded over 30 years ago and caters to runners of all ages and abilities.
- East Rand United Football Club: This team was formed when two local clubs merged to create a stronger team that could compete at higher levels.
- National Arts Festival: This is one of the biggest cultural events in South Africa, held annually in Grahamstown (now Makhanda), a town near Springs. The festival features a diverse range of music, theatre, dance, and visual arts performances.
- Springs Carnival: Held annually in September, this carnival celebrates the town’s history and culture with parades, street parties, and live music.
- Springs Annual Show: This agricultural show takes place every August and showcases the best of local farming and livestock.
- Bierfest Johannesburg: This beer festival is held every October at Montecasino in Johannesburg, just a short drive from Springs. It features German-style beer gardens and live music.
- Gauteng Motor Fest: This annual event takes place at Carnival City Casino near Springs and showcases some of the latest cars on the market as well as classic cars from years gone by.
- Soweto Wine Festival: Held annually in September at Walter Sisulu Square in Soweto (a township near Johannesburg), this festival celebrates South African wine with tastings from over 100 wineries.
- Jazz on the Lake: Held annually at Emmarentia Dam in Johannesburg (about 30 minutes’ drive from Springs), this jazz festival features local and international musicians performing on an outdoor stage beside the lake.
- Rand Show: This annual exhibition takes place over Easter weekend at Nasrec Expo Centre in Johannesburg (about 40 minutes’ drive from Springs) and includes displays of everything from cars to fashion to food to technology to crafts to animals!
- Boerewors: a type of sausage made from beef and pork.
- Biltong: a type of dried meat that is similar to jerky.
- Pap and wors: a traditional South African dish made from maize meal and boerewors.
- Bunny chow: a curry dish served in a hollowed-out loaf of bread.
- Bobotie: a savory meat pie made with ground beef, curry powder, and raisins.
Some popular restaurants in Springs, South Africa include:
- The Secret Garden Restaurant: known for its seafood dishes and beautiful outdoor seating area.
- The Lazy Grape Wine & Deli: offers wine tastings and serves delicious cheese platters.
- The Windmill Restaurant & Pub: known for its burgers, steaks, and pub food.
- La Piazza Italian Restaurant & Bar: serves authentic Italian cuisine such as pizza and pasta dishes.
- KwaThema Food Market: an outdoor market that offers various street food options such as grilled meats, fish cakes, and fried chicken wings.
- Springs Country Club offers golfing, tennis, and swimming facilities.
- Springs Park has a playground, picnic areas, and walking trails.
- Selcourt Park has a large open field for sports activities such as soccer and cricket.
- KwaThema Stadium hosts various sporting events such as soccer matches and athletics competitions.
- Ebotse Golf Estate offers golfing facilities along with other recreational activities such as fishing and boating.
- Blesbokspruit Wetland Reserve is ideal for bird watching and nature walks.
- Springs Indoor Sports Arena hosts indoor sports activities such as netball, basketball, and volleyball.
- The Springs Mall has various entertainment options including cinemas, restaurants, and indoor play areas for children.
- Carnival City Casino & Entertainment World is an entertainment complex that includes a casino, movie theaters, restaurants, bars, an arcade center and live music performances.
- Wild Waters Water Park is a water park with several slides, pools, lazy river etc.