Geographic Coordinates: 26.205600, -80.253900
Climate: Data not available.
Tamarac is a vibrant city located in Broward County, Florida, United States. Nestled in the heart of South Florida, Tamarac offers its residents and visitors a unique blend of suburban charm and urban convenience. With a population of approximately 65, 000 people, This city provides a tight-knit community feel while still providing access to all the amenities one could desire. One of the standout features of Tamarac is its abundance of beautiful parks and green spaces. The city boasts over 20 parks that offer recreational opportunities for people of all ages.
Residents can enjoy jogging or biking along scenic trails, Playing sports on well-maintained fields, Or simply relaxing with a picnic amidst lush surroundings. The popular Caporella Aquatic Center is perfect for beating the Florida heat with its water slides and swimming pools. In addition to its natural beauty, Tamarac also offers an array of cultural attractions. The Tamarac Theatre of Performing Arts hosts various productions throughout the year that showcase local talent and provide entertainment for theater enthusiasts.
Art lovers can visit Studio 18 in the Pines – an art gallery and working studio where artists display their creations while engaging with visitors. For those seeking retail therapy or dining options, Tamarac has plenty to offer as well. The city is home to multiple shopping centers like University Commons and Midway Plaza that feature both national chains and local businesses catering to diverse tastes. From casual eateries serving international cuisine to fine dining establishments offering gourmet experiences, There are numerous culinary delights waiting to be explored within Tamarac’s borders.
Education plays an integral role in this community as well. Families have access to top-rated schools within the Broward County Public School District which prioritize academic excellence while fostering personal growth among students. Tamarac’s central location allows for easy access to nearby attractions such as Fort Lauderdale Beach just 15 minutes away by car or Sawgrass Mills Mall – one of the largest outlet malls in the United States – a short drive to the west. The city is also conveniently situated near major highways, Making it an ideal base for exploring other parts of South Florida.
Overall, Tamarac offers a high quality of life with its picturesque parks, Cultural offerings, Diverse dining options, And convenient location. Whether you are considering moving to Tamarac or planning a visit, This city has something for everyone and promises an enjoyable experience in the heart of sunny South Florida.
- Woodmont Country Club: A popular golf course and country club known for its beautiful landscaping and challenging course.
- Colony West Golf Club: Another well-known golf club with two courses that offer scenic views and enjoyable play.
- Tamarac Theatre of Performing Arts: A community theater that showcases various plays, musicals, and performances throughout the year.
- Veterans’ Memorial Park: A serene park dedicated to honoring veterans with memorials, flags, and peaceful surroundings.
- Gary B Jones Park for People & Pups: A dog-friendly park featuring walking trails, picnic areas, playgrounds, and a dog park section where pets can roam freely.
- Mainlands 1 & 2 Shopping Center: This shopping center is home to various stores and restaurants catering to residents and visitors alike.
- Caporella Aquatic Complex: An aquatic center offering swimming lessons for all ages as well as recreational swimming opportunities.
While these attractions might not be world-famous or draw large numbers of international tourists specifically to Tamarac itself; they do provide enjoyable experiences for both residents and visitors looking to explore the city’s offerings.
- Healthcare: Tamarac has a significant presence of healthcare facilities, including hospitals, clinics, and medical offices. Some notable healthcare organizations in the area include University Hospital and Medical Center and Florida Medical Center.
- Retail: Tamarac has a diverse range of retail establishments, including shopping centers, supermarkets, specialty stores, and restaurants. The city is home to popular retail destinations like Tamarac Square West Shopping Center and Midway Plaza.
- Professional Services: Various professional services thrive in Tamarac, such as law firms, accounting firms, financial institutions, real estate agencies, and consulting companies.
- Education: The education sector is prominent with several schools serving the community. These include public schools like Millennium Middle School and charter schools such as Charter School of Excellence at Riverland.
- Manufacturing: While not as prevalent as other industries mentioned above; some manufacturing companies operate in Tamarac producing goods ranging from electronics to food products.
- Hospitality and Tourism: As part of the larger South Florida region known for its tourism industry; hospitality businesses like hotels/motels cater to visitors who come to explore nearby attractions such as beaches or attend events held in neighboring cities.
- Technology/IT Services: There are also technology-related businesses offering IT services or software development within the city limits.
- Construction/Real Estate Development: Given its growth potential; construction companies participate actively in developing residential/commercial properties while real estate agencies facilitate property transactions throughout the area.
It’s worth noting that this list is not exhaustive but provides an overview of some major industries/businesses present in Tamarac.
- Founding: Tamarac was founded in 1963 by developer Kenneth E. Behring as a planned adult community for retirees.
- Growth and Development: Throughout the 1970s and 1980s, Tamarac experienced rapid growth as more residential areas were developed to accommodate the increasing population.
- City Incorporation: On July 19, 1963, Tamarac officially became incorporated as a city.
- Demographics: Tamarac has had a diverse population over the years, with significant Jewish and Caribbean-American communities adding to its cultural fabric.
- Notable People:
- George Buddy Nevins Jr.: A prominent journalist who served as editor of the Sun-Sentinel newspaper’s Broward County edition.
- Al Goldstein: The late publisher of Screw magazine who resided in Tamarac during his later years.
- Johnny Depp: While not originally from Tamarac, actor Johnny Depp attended Miramar High School nearby.
- Parks and Recreation:
- Gary B Jones Park for People & Pups: A popular dog park named after former Mayor Gary B Jones that offers various amenities for dogs and their owners.
- Colony West Golf Club: A public golf course known for its challenging layout that attracts both locals and visitors alike.
It’s worth noting that while these events/people are associated with or have connections to Tamarac, they may not be exclusive to this city alone but also have broader significance within Broward County or Florida as a whole.
- Tamarac Theatre of Performing Arts: A community theater that offers a variety of live performances including plays, musicals, and concerts.
- Veterans Memorial Park: A park dedicated to honoring the veterans of the United States armed forces. It features a memorial wall, sculptures, and beautiful landscaping.
- Sawgrass Nature Center & Wildlife Hospital: This center provides education about local wildlife and rehabilitation for injured animals. Visitors can explore nature trails and see various species up close.
- Coral Springs Museum of Art: Located nearby in Coral Springs, this museum showcases contemporary art exhibitions from local and international artists.
- Butterfly World: Situated in nearby Coconut Creek, Butterfly World is the largest butterfly park in the world with thousands of butterflies flying freely among tropical gardens.
- Young at Art Museum: Located in Davie (close to Tamarac), this interactive museum offers hands-on exhibits focused on art and creativity for children and families.
- Flamingo Gardens: Situated in Davie as well, Flamingo Gardens is a botanical garden featuring rare plants, native wildlife exhibits including alligators and flamingos, as well as a historic Wray Home Museum.
- Everglades Holiday Park: Just west of Tamarac lies Everglades Holiday Park where you can take an airboat tour through the Florida Everglades to observe alligators and other unique flora/fauna species.
- Tamarac Titans Youth Football and Cheerleading: The Tamarac Titans is a youth football and cheerleading organization that has been active since 1990. They provide opportunities for children to participate in organized football and cheerleading programs.
- Tamarac Wildcats Soccer Club: The Tamarac Wildcats Soccer Club is a youth soccer organization that offers recreational and competitive soccer programs for boys and girls of various age groups.
- Tamarac Little League Baseball: The Tamarac Little League Baseball program provides opportunities for children to learn and play baseball from ages 4 to 16 years old.
- City of Tamarac Adult Softball League: The City of Tamarac organizes an adult softball league where residents can join teams and compete against each other in friendly games.
It’s important to note that these are just a few examples of local sports teams in Tamarac; there may be additional community-based or school-affiliated teams as well.
- Tamarac Arts & Crafts Festival: This annual event showcases local artists and craftsmen, featuring a wide range of art forms such as paintings, sculptures, jewelry, pottery, and more.
- Tamarac Farmers Market: Held every Sunday morning at Veterans’ Memorial Park, the farmers market offers fresh produce, artisanal products, food vendors, live music performances, and family-friendly activities.
- Celebrate America Festival: Taking place on Independence Day (July 4th), this festival includes live music concerts by local bands or tribute acts along with food trucks offering a variety of cuisines. The highlight is a grand fireworks display to celebrate the nation’s independence.
- Fall Festival & Halloween Parade: This family-oriented event takes place in October and features games for children like pumpkin painting and costume contests. There is also a Halloween parade where kids can show off their costumes while collecting treats from local businesses.
- Cultural Heritage Celebration: This event aims to celebrate the diverse cultures within the community through music performances, dance shows representing different traditions around the world, ethnic food vendors offering international cuisines to sample from various countries.
- Veterans Day Ceremony: Held on November 11th each year at Veterans’ Memorial Park or City Hall Plaza in Tamarac; this ceremony honors military veterans with speeches by local officials and veterans themselves while paying tribute to their service.
- Winterfest Holiday Celebration: During December holidays season (usually around Christmas time), Winterfest brings holiday cheer to Tamarac through festive decorations throughout the city along with special events like tree lighting ceremonies or holiday-themed parades.
These are just some examples of cultural events and festivals that take place in Tamarac; there may be additional smaller-scale community events organized throughout the year as well.
- Dona Arepa: A Venezuelan restaurant known for their delicious arepas and traditional Venezuelan dishes.
- Pho Hoa Noodle Soup: A Vietnamese restaurant serving authentic pho noodles and other Vietnamese specialties.
- El Balcon de las Americas: A Latin American restaurant offering a variety of dishes from different countries in the region, such as Colombian, Peruvian, and Cuban cuisine.
- La Brasa Rotisserie & Grill: A Peruvian restaurant famous for its rotisserie chicken and traditional Peruvian dishes like ceviche and lomo saltado.
- Char-Hut: An iconic burger joint that has been serving delicious char-grilled burgers since 1976.
- Bagel Cafe & Deli: A local favorite for bagels, sandwiches, salads, and other deli-style items.
- India House Restaurant: An Indian restaurant specializing in flavorful curries, tandoori dishes, biryanis, and other Indian delicacies.
- The Cook & The Cork: A contemporary American bistro featuring a diverse menu with options like seafood, steaks, pasta dishes, and creative appetizers.
- Gary B. Jones Park for People and Pups: This park features a dog park, playgrounds, picnic areas, walking trails, and recreational fields.
- Caporella Park: It offers amenities such as basketball courts, tennis courts, walking trails, a playground, picnic areas with grills, and a lake for fishing.
- Sunset Point Park: This park has a scenic lakefront area with benches for relaxation and fishing opportunities.
- Tamarac Sports Complex: It includes multiple sports fields for soccer, baseball/softball diamonds, basketball courts, tennis courts, playgrounds, and walking paths.
- Veterans’ Memorial Park: A serene park dedicated to honoring veterans with memorials and monuments surrounded by beautiful landscaping.
- Mainlands 10 & 11 Pool & Clubhouse: Residents can enjoy swimming in the community pool or participate in various social activities organized at the clubhouse.
- Colony West Golf Club: A public golf course offering an 18-hole championship course that caters to players of all skill levels.
- Tephford Park: A neighborhood park featuring a playground area with swings and slides along with open spaces for picnics or sports activities like soccer or frisbee games.
These are just some examples of parks and recreational activities available in Tamarac; there may be other smaller neighborhood parks as well where residents can enjoy outdoor activities within their communities.