Geographic Coordinates: 45.776800, 4.918600
Climate: Data not available.
Vaulx-en-Velin is a vibrant commune located in the eastern suburbs of Lyon, France. With a rich history dating back to Roman times, This town has transformed from a small rural village into a bustling residential and industrial area. Nestled between the Rhône River and the Grand Parc Miribel Jonage, Vaulx-en-Velin offers both natural beauty and urban amenities. One of the highlights of Vaulx-en-Velin is its diverse cultural scene. The Centre Culturel Charlie Chaplin serves as a hub for artistic expression, Hosting various exhibitions, Concerts, And theater performances throughout the year.
The center also houses an extensive library with an impressive collection of books in multiple languages. For those interested in history and heritage, Vaulx-en-Velin offers several fascinating sites to explore. One such site is Le Fort de Bron, An ancient fortress built during World War I that now serves as a museum showcasing military artifacts. Additionally, Château de Vaulx presents visitors with an opportunity to step back in time through its well-preserved architecture and beautiful gardens. Nature lovers will be delighted by the proximity of Vaulx-en-Velin to stunning natural landscapes.
The Grand Parc Miribel Jonage is just a stone’s throw away from town and provides numerous recreational activities such as hiking trails, Cycling paths, Picnic spots, And even water sports on its vast lakes. Vibrant markets are also part of everyday life in Vaulx-en-Velin. Every Wednesday morning at Place du Village Square, Locals gather for Marché des Producteurs where they can purchase fresh produce directly from farmers or indulge in regional delicacies like cheeses or cured meats.
In terms of transportation connections within Lyon metropolitan area, Vaulx-en-Velin benefits from excellent public transport links including tramway lines that connect it directly to Lyon city center within minutes. This makes it convenient for residents who work or study in the city, While still enjoying a quieter suburban lifestyle. Overall, Vaulx-en-Velin offers a unique blend of history, Culture, And natural beauty. With its diverse range of attractions and proximity to Lyon’s urban amenities, This commune provides an ideal setting for both residents and visitors seeking a well-rounded experience in the heart of France.
- Parc de la Feyssine: This large park is located on the outskirts of Vaulx-en-Velin and offers beautiful green spaces, walking trails, picnic areas, and a lake. It’s an ideal spot for nature lovers to relax and enjoy outdoor activities.
- Le Carré de Soie: This modern shopping complex is one of the main commercial centers in Vaulx-en-Velin. It features numerous shops, boutiques, restaurants, and a cinema complex.
- Centre Aquatique Les Vagues: A popular water park offering various pools, water slides, whirlpools, saunas, and other aquatic facilities for visitors to enjoy.
- Institut d’Art Contemporain (IAC): Located near Vaulx-en-Velin’s town hall square (Place de la Nation), this contemporary art institute showcases temporary exhibitions by national and international artists.
- Parc Blandan: Although technically located in Lyon itself rather than Vaulx-en-Velin specifically, this urban park is just a short distance away from the commune’s borders. It offers vast green spaces with playgrounds for children as well as sports facilities like basketball courts.
- Eglise Saint-Pierre-Saint-Paul: This historic church dates back to the 16th century and features beautiful architectural details both inside and outside.
- Village des Créateurs – La Fabrique du Monde: A creative hub that supports local artisans by providing them with workshops/studios where they can work on their crafts or showcase their creations to visitors.
While Vaulx-en-Velin may not have as many world-famous landmarks as other cities in France, it still offers some interesting places to explore for visitors looking to experience the local culture and enjoy recreational activities.
- Manufacturing: Vaulx-en-Velin has a significant presence of manufacturing industries, particularly in the fields of automotive components, electronics, and machinery.
- Logistics and Distribution: The commune benefits from its strategic location near Lyon’s transportation hubs, making it an ideal location for logistics and distribution companies.
- Retail: Vaulx-en-Velin has several retail establishments ranging from small local shops to larger supermarkets and shopping centers.
- Construction: With ongoing urban development projects in the area, construction companies play a vital role in shaping Vaulx-en-Velin’s infrastructure.
- Services Sector: Various service-oriented businesses operate within the commune, including healthcare facilities, educational institutions, professional services such as law firms and accounting firms), hospitality (hotels), and restaurants.
- Technology and Innovation: As part of the broader Lyon metropolitan area known for its technological advancements, Vaulx-en-Velin also houses technology-based businesses like software development companies or research centers focused on innovation.
It is important to note that this list is not exhaustive but provides an overview of some major industries present in Vaux-en-Velin.
- Roman Occupation: The area where Vaulx-en-Velin is situated was once occupied by the Romans. The remains of a Roman aqueduct called Aqueduc de la Brévenne can still be seen in the nearby Parc de Parilly.
- Industrialization: In the 19th century, Vaulx-en-Velin experienced significant industrial growth due to its proximity to Lyon. Numerous factories were established, especially in textiles and metallurgy.
- Immigration and Social Housing: During the mid-20th century, Vaulx-en-Velin witnessed an influx of immigrants from North Africa and other regions seeking employment opportunities. As a result, large social housing projects were constructed to accommodate these populations.
- Riots of 1990: In October 1990, Vaulx-en-Velin was hit by major riots sparked by tensions between residents and law enforcement agencies after an accident involving two young boys on a stolen motorcycle resulted in their deaths.
- Tony Parker: One of France’s most renowned basketball players, Tony Parker was born in Bruges (a neighborhood within Vaulx-en-Velin) in 1982 before moving to the United States where he achieved great success playing for NBA teams such as the San Antonio Spurs.
- Urban Renewal Projects: Over recent decades, various urban renewal projects have been undertaken to improve living conditions and reduce social inequalities within certain areas of Vaulx-en-Velin.
- Cultural Center Charlie Chaplin: The Cultural Center Charlie Chaplin is an iconic landmark in Vaulx-en-Velin that hosts numerous cultural events including theater performances, concerts exhibitions, and film screenings.
- Olympic Legacy Project: As part of preparations for the 2024 Summer Olympics in Paris, Vaulx-en-Velin has been designated as a site for various sports facilities and infrastructure development.
These are just a few of the notable historical events and people associated with Vaulx-en-Velin. The city continues to evolve and play a significant role within the Lyon metropolitan area.
- Le Rize: A cultural center that hosts art exhibitions, performances, and workshops.
- Musée d’Art Contemporain de Lyon: Located nearby in Lyon, this contemporary art museum showcases a wide range of modern artworks.
- Parc de la Feyssine: A beautiful park with walking trails and a lake, perfect for outdoor activities and picnics.
- Parc du Fort de Vaulx-en-Velin: This park offers stunning views of the city and has historical significance as it was once a military fortification.
- Eglise Sainte-Marie-Madeleine: A historic church known for its beautiful stained glass windows and architectural design.
- La Maison du Livre et de l’Image: A library dedicated to books and images where visitors can explore various literary works.
- Centre Culturel Charlie Chaplin: An arts center that hosts theater performances, concerts, film screenings, and other cultural events.
- Carré de Soie Shopping Center: A large shopping complex with numerous shops, restaurants, and entertainment options.
- Grand parc Miribel Jonage: Located nearby in Miribel-Jonage commune, this expansive park offers opportunities for cycling, hiking, swimming in lakes or simply enjoying nature.
- Les Subsistances – Laboratoire International des Arts et des Cultures Contemporains (LIA): Situated in Lyon but worth mentioning due to its proximity to Vaulx-en-Velin; it is an interdisciplinary arts center hosting exhibitions, artistic residencies as well as theater and dance performances.
- Vaulx-en-Velin Handball Club: The handball club was founded in 1975 and has since become one of the most successful clubs in the region. They have had both men’s and women’s teams competing at various levels.
- AS Vaulx Football: The football (soccer) club was established in 1926 and has a long-standing presence in Vaulx-en-Velin. Over the years, they have participated in different divisions of French football leagues.
- Association Sportive des Cheminots de Lyon et Région (ASCLR): Although not directly based in Vaulx-en-Velin, this multi-sport club includes members from surrounding areas, including Vaulx-en-Velin. They offer various activities such as athletics, basketball, cycling, swimming, tennis, and more.
- Boxing Club de l’Est Lyonnais: This boxing club operates out of Vaulx-en-Velin and has been training boxers for many years. They provide coaching for amateurs as well as professionals.
These are just a few examples of sports clubs with histories or activities related to Vaulx-en-Velin. It’s worth noting that these organizations may have experienced changes or developments over time that might not be fully reflected here; therefore it would be beneficial to consult local sources or official websites for more up-to-date information on these teams’ histories within the community.
- Festival des Solidarités: This festival promotes solidarity and social justice through various cultural activities, workshops, concerts, and exhibitions.
- Festival Karavel: It is an international urban dance festival that brings together dancers from around the world to showcase their talent through performances, workshops, and competitions.
- Fête de la Musique: Celebrated on June 21st every year, this event showcases a wide range of musical genres with live performances throughout the city streets and squares.
- Vaulx Jazz Festival: This annual jazz festival features renowned national and international jazz artists performing in different venues across the city.
- Cinéma en plein air: During the summer months, open-air cinema screenings are organized in parks or public spaces where people can enjoy movies under the stars for free.
- Fête du Livre Jeunesse de Vaulx-en-Velin: This children’s book fair aims to promote reading among young people by organizing book signings, storytelling sessions, workshops with authors/illustrators, and more.
- Les Nuits Sonores – Satellite Editions: As part of Lyon’s famous electronic music festival Les Nuits Sonores, satellite editions are held in Vaulx-en-Velin featuring electronic music performances by emerging artists.
Please note that event schedules may vary each year so it is advisable to check local listings or official websites for up-to-date information about specific dates and details of these events/festivals in Vaulx-en-Velin.
- Boulangerie Pâtisserie Rivoire: This bakery is known for its delicious pastries, bread, and cakes. They also serve traditional French breakfast items like croissants and pain au chocolat.
- Le Petit Zinc: A cozy restaurant that specializes in French cuisine with a modern twist. They offer dishes such as beef bourguignon, confit de canard (duck confit), and tarte Tatin.
- La Table Vauloise: This restaurant focuses on regional specialties from Lyon and the surrounding areas. You can enjoy classic Lyonnais dishes like quenelles de brochet (pike dumplings), tablier de sapeur (breaded tripe), or praline tart for dessert.
- L’Atelier des Saveurs: A popular spot for pizza lovers, this pizzeria offers a wide range of delicious pizzas made with fresh ingredients and cooked in a wood-fired oven.
- Chez Mamie Lily: Known for its warm atmosphere and homemade cooking, this family-run restaurant serves traditional French dishes such as boeuf bourguignon (beef stew) or blanquette de veau (veal stew).
- Le Relais Gourmand: Located near Parc du Château in Vaulx-en-Velin, this restaurant serves refined French cuisine using seasonal ingredients sourced locally whenever possible.
- Les Délices d’Orient: If you’re craving Middle Eastern flavors, this Lebanese restaurant is worth visiting. They offer a variety of mezze platters, falafel sandwiches, kebabs, and other tasty Lebanese dishes.
These are just some examples of popular local cuisine options in Vaulx-en-Velin; there are many more restaurants and cafes to explore in the area.
- Parc de la Mairie: A large park with green spaces, playgrounds, and walking paths.
- Parc Elsa Triolet: A beautiful park with a lake, picnic areas, and sports facilities such as basketball courts and skateboarding ramps.
- Parc de la Soie: A recently developed park with a focus on sustainable design. It features walking trails, gardens, and a water play area.
- Skatepark du Mas du Taureau: A popular spot for skateboarders and BMX riders with ramps, rails, and other obstacles.
- Complexe sportif Laurent-Gérin: A sports complex that offers various activities including football fields, tennis courts, basketball courts, and an indoor swimming pool.
- Centre Aquatique Les Vagues: A water park featuring multiple pools including an Olympic-sized pool, waterslides, a lazy river ride, and spa facilities.
- Cinéma les Amphis: This cinema complex offers screenings of the latest films in multiple theaters.
- Médiathèque Lucie-Aubrac: The local library where visitors can borrow books or participate in various cultural events such as book clubs or workshops.
These are just a few examples of the parks and recreational activities available in Vaulx-en-Velin; there may be more options depending on personal interests or seasonal events happening at the time of visitation.