Geographic Coordinates: 39.965100, -76.731500
Temperature Range: -40.0°C to 40.0°C (-40°F to 104°F)
Here are some of the most famous landmarks and tourist attractions for York in both the United States and the United Kingdom: York, United States:
- Heritage Rail Trail County Park
- York Central Market House
- Agricultural and Industrial Museum
- Harley-Davidson Factory Tour
- York County History Center
- York Minster Cathedral
- The Shambles (medieval street)
- Jorvik Viking Centre
- Clifford’s Tower (castle ruins)
- National Railway Museum
- Manufacturing: Many manufacturing companies call York home, including Harley-Davidson Motor Company, which produces motorcycles and related products.
- Healthcare: There are multiple hospitals and healthcare facilities in York, with WellSpan Health being one of the largest employers in the area.
- Education: The city has a robust education sector with several colleges and universities located within its limits.
- Retail: A thriving retail industry exists in York with many shopping centers and malls such as West Manchester Town Center, Queensgate Shopping Center among others.
- Agriculture: Agriculture is an essential industry in York County where numerous farms produce crops such as corn, soybeans, wheat among others.
- Finance: Multiple banks and financial institutions operate within the city providing services ranging from loans to investment advice.
- Tourism/Hospitality: The tourism industry is growing rapidly in York due to its historical sites like Gettysburg National Military Park that attracts thousands of visitors every year along with various recreational activities like fishing on Lake Redman or hiking at Rocky Ridge Park among others making hospitality an important business sector too.
- The founding of York dates back to 1741 when it was named after the city of York in England.
- During the American Revolution, York played a crucial role as it served as the capital of the Continental Congress from 1777 to 1778.
- The Articles of Confederation, America’s first constitution, were drafted and signed in York on November 15th, 1777.
- Thaddeus Stevens was an influential abolitionist and congressman who resided in York for many years. He is renowned for his work during Reconstruction after the Civil War.
- William C. Goodridge was a successful African-American businessman who owned several businesses in downtown York during the mid-1800s, including a thriving barber shop.
- John Haynes Holmes grew up in York before becoming one of America’s leading pacifists and social justice advocates during the early 20th century as an influential Unitarian minister.
- Gettysburg, located nearby but not within city limits, is famous for being where Abraham Lincoln delivered his iconic Gettysburg Address during the Civil War on November 19th, 1863.
- Richard M Nixon visited Pennsylvania State University’s campus at Penn State-York on October 28th,1970 while running for Governor against Milton Shapp.
- York County Heritage Trust
- Agricultural and Industrial Museum
- York City Art Gallery
- The Bonham House
- York Colonial Complex
- The Central Market House
- The Codorus State Park
- Harley-Davidson Factory Tour
- Susquehanna Gateway Heritage Area
- Williams Grove Amusement Park
- The York Revolution is a professional baseball team based in York, Pennsylvania that was founded in 2006. They play in the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball.
- York City Football Club is an English football club located in the city of York, North Yorkshire that was established in 1908. The club has played at Bootham Crescent since its inception.
- The Central Penn Piranha is a semi-professional American football team from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania that plays their home games at Small Field on the campus of Bishop McDevitt High School.
- The Keystone Assault is a women’s tackle football team from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania that plays their home games at Lower Dauphin Middle School Stadium.
- The Susquehanna Valley Derby Vixens are a women’s flat track roller derby league based out of York, Pennsylvania.
- Lancaster Inferno SC Women’s Soccer Team was established as an expansion franchise for United Women’s Soccer (UWS) League play beginning with the 2017 season with home matches played at Millersville University Pucillo Field located just outside Lancaster city limits.
- York College Spartans are intercollegiate athletic teams representing the Division III school located on West Campus Drive off Route 30 near downtown York PA.
- William Penn Senior High School sports teams are known as William Penn Bearcats or simply The Cats and compete under PIAA District III jurisdiction along with neighboring schools from Adams County, Cumberland County, Dauphin County, Franklin County, Lebanon County and Perry County.
- Yorkfest: A two-day event featuring fine arts and crafts from over 100 artists.
- Olde York Street Fair: Held annually in May, this fair is a celebration of the city’s rich history and culture.
- York Halloween Parade: A spooky parade held every year on Halloween featuring floats, bands and costumed participants.
- Made in America Festival: A music festival held annually at the Benjamin Franklin Parkway in Philadelphia which is about 90 miles from York.
- Christmas Magic – A Festival of Lights: An annual holiday light display at Rocky Ridge County Park that takes place during November to December each year.
- First Friday: The first Friday of every month features a night filled with art exhibits, live music performances, food trucks and more throughout downtown York.
- Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire – This festival takes place during weekends from August to October where visitors can experience life as it was lived during medieval times with jousting tournaments, feasts and more entertainment activities for all ages to enjoy!
- Central Market – a historic market offering a variety of local foods and products.
- The Left Bank Restaurant & Bar – known for their seafood dishes and farm-to-table approach.
- Revival Social Club – a trendy restaurant serving American comfort food with a modern twist.
- White Rose Bar & Grill – famous for their burgers, wings, and craft beer selection.
- Mezzogiorno – an Italian restaurant serving homemade pasta dishes and wood-fired pizzas.
- The Accomac Inn – located in a historic building overlooking the Susquehanna River, offering upscale American cuisine with seasonal ingredients.
- John Wright Restaurant – situated on the banks of the Susquehanna River, featuring locally sourced seafood and farm-to-table dishes.
- Roosevelt Tavern – serving traditional American fare in a historic 18th-century building that once hosted President Theodore Roosevelt himself.
- Mudhook Brewing Company – an award-winning brewery with a taproom offering pub fare like burgers, sandwiches, and pizza to pair with their craft beers.
- Tutoni’s Restaurant & Wine Bar – offers modern Italian cuisine using fresh local ingredients paired with an extensive wine list from around the world.
- York County Heritage Rail Trail is a 21-mile trail that is perfect for walking, biking, and jogging.
- Codorus State Park covers an area of 3,500 acres and has a lake where you can enjoy boating, fishing, and swimming.
- John Rudy County Park spans across 143 acres and features hiking trails, picnic areas, and sports fields.
- Kiwanis Lake is a small lake located in the city of York that offers walking paths and a playground.
- Rocky Ridge County Park occupies an area of 750 acres and includes hiking trails, disc golf course as well as a nature center.
- William Kain County Park covers an area of 1,675 acres with two lakes where you can fish or go boating; there are also hiking trails available along with picnic areas to enjoy your meal outdoors.
- Cousler Park is situated in the town of Manchester; it’s a community park that offers sports fields playgrounds as well as walking paths for visitors to enjoy.
- Samuel S Lewis State Park is relatively small but still offers visitors the chance to hike through wooded areas near the Susquehanna River.
- Springettsbury Township Community Park provides expansive space for visitors to explore with its sports fields playgrounds as well as walking paths available throughout its grounds.
- Nixon County Park Nature Center & Wildlife Sanctuary – This location provides visitors with the opportunity to learn about local wildlife through various exhibits or take guided tours along their nature trails!