Atlantic City, New Jersey
Geographic Coordinates: 39.379700, -74.452700
Temperature Range: 10.0°C to 30.0°C (50°F to 86°F)
Atlantic City is a coastal resort city located in the state of New Jersey, United States. It is situated on Absecon Island, Which is connected to the mainland by several bridges. The city has a long history as a popular vacation destination and gambling hub, Attracting millions of visitors every year. One of the most iconic landmarks in Atlantic City is the Boardwalk, Which stretches for over four miles along the beachfront.
Originally built in 1870 as a way to keep sand out of hotel lobbies, It has become an attraction in its own right with numerous shops, Restaurants and amusement parks lining its length. Visitors can take a leisurely stroll or rent bicycles to explore this famous promenade. Another must-see attraction in Atlantic City is the Steel Pier amusement park. Located at the end of the Boardwalk, It offers thrilling rides such as roller coasters and giant swings as well as traditional carnival games like ring toss and balloon darts. There are also daily shows featuring acrobats and other performers.
For those interested in history and culture, There are several museums worth visiting in Atlantic City. The Absecon Lighthouse dates back to 1857 and offers stunning views from its top observation deck. The Atlantic City Historical Museum showcases artifacts from throughout the city’s past including vintage postcards, Photographs and memorabilia from old casinos. Of course, No visit to Atlantic City would be complete without trying your luck at one of its many casinos.
From classic table games like blackjack and roulette to slot machines with exciting themes like Game of Thrones or Wheel of Fortune – there’s something for everyone here! Some popular options include Caesars Palace Casino & Hotel or Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa. when it comes time to refuel after all that sightseeing (or gambling!), There are plenty of dining options available throughout Atlantic City ranging from casual cafes serving up fresh seafood dishes to upscale restaurants offering gourmet cuisine prepared by award-winning chefs. Atlantic City is a vibrant and exciting destination that offers something for everyone.
Whether you’re looking to relax on the beach, Ride roller coasters or hit the casino floor – this coastal resort city has it all!
- Boardwalk: The Atlantic City Boardwalk is an iconic must-visit attraction that stretches for miles along the beach, offering shops, restaurants, and entertainment options.
- Steel Pier: Since 1898, this historic amusement park has been entertaining visitors with rides, games, and attractions.
- Absecon Lighthouse: New Jersey’s tallest lighthouse offers stunning views from the top and a museum showcasing its history.
- Atlantic City Beaches: Miles of pristine beaches offer sunbathing, swimming, surfing, and other water sports.
- Borgata Casino: One of the largest casinos in Atlantic City offers gambling options as well as dining and entertainment venues.
- Hard Rock Hotel & Casino: This popular casino resort hosts live music events featuring famous artists from around the world.
- Lucy the Elephant: A six-story elephant-shaped building that serves as one of Atlantic City’s most unique landmarks and a museum showcasing its history.
- Tropicana Casino & Resort: Another popular casino resort that features a variety of dining options as well as shopping and entertainment venues.
- Ripley’s Believe It or Not!: This museum features unusual exhibits from around the world sure to leave visitors amazed.
- The Quarter at Tropicana: An indoor shopping mall featuring over 40 shops, restaurants, bars, and nightclubs designed to resemble an Old Havana street scene.
- Tourism and hospitality – Atlantic City is known for its casinos, resorts, hotels, and restaurants that attract millions of tourists every year.
- Gaming industry – The city has a thriving gaming industry with several casinos including the Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa, Harrah’s Resort Atlantic City, and Tropicana Casino & Resort.
- Retail industry – There are several shopping centers in the city such as The Walk Outlet Center which houses over 100 stores.
- Entertainment industry – Atlantic City is a hub for entertainment with numerous theaters hosting concerts and shows throughout the year.
- Convention center business – The city has a large convention center that hosts various events like trade shows, conferences, and exhibitions.
- Fishing industry – There is also a fishing port in Atlantic City which supports commercial fishing activities in the area.
- Real estate – Real estate development is also an important business sector in the city due to its prime location on the coast of New Jersey.
- The founding of Atlantic City in 1854 as a health resort by Dr. Jonathan Pitney.
- The construction of the Boardwalk in 1870, which became a popular destination for tourists and gamblers.
- The Miss America Pageant was first held in Atlantic City in 1921 and continued to be held there until 2005.
- Prohibition era gangster Al Capone had a summer home in Atlantic City.
- Nucky Johnson, the notorious political boss of Atlantic City during the Prohibition era, inspired the character Nucky Thompson on HBO’s Boardwalk Empire.
- Martin Luther King Jr gave a speech at Convention Hall in 1964 during his civil rights campaign.
- In 1978, Resorts Casino Hotel became the first legal casino to open outside of Nevada after New Jersey legalized gambling.
- Donald Trump owned several casinos in Atlantic City throughout the 1980s and ’90s before they filed for bankruptcy multiple times.
- Hurricane Sandy devastated parts of Atlantic City’s boardwalk and infrastructure in October 2012.
- In recent years, sports betting has become legal in New Jersey leading to an influx of new casinos opening up along with new hotels like Ocean Resort Casino which opened its doors on June 28th,2018.
- Atlantic City Boardwalk
- Absecon Lighthouse
- Atlantic City Aquarium
- Lucy the Elephant
- Steel Pier Amusement Park
- The Noyes Arts Garage of Stockton University
- African American Heritage Museum of Southern New Jersey
- Garden Pier Art Center
- Atlantic City Historical Museum
- Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Museum
- Atlantic City Surf – The Atlantic City Surf was an independent professional baseball team that played in the Atlantic League from 1998 to 2008. They won the league championship in 1998 and made it to the playoffs six times.
- Atlantic City Card Sharks – The Atlantic City Card Sharks were a minor league basketball team that played in the Continental Basketball Association from 1987 to 1990. They won the CBA championship in their first season.
- Boardwalk Bullies – The Boardwalk Bullies were a minor league ice hockey team that played in the East Coast Hockey League from 2001 to 2005. They won the Kelly Cup championship in their second season.
- AC Crusaders FC – AC Crusaders FC is a semi-professional soccer club based out of Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey which plays its home games at Carey Stadium on the boardwalk of Ocean City, New Jersey.
- Atlantic City Seagulls – A former American soccer club based out of Mays Landing, NJ which played its home games at Carey Stadium on Ocean Ave., Ocean city NJ during summer months between late May and early August during years spanning from late seventies until early nineties before folding due to lack of financial support and fan base.
- Atlantic city High School Vikings-Atlantic city high school has been known for its successful football program over many decades.
- Atlantic City Restaurant Week
- Atlantic City Beer and Music Festival
- Atlantic City Airshow
- Atlantic City International Film Festival
- Thunder Over the Boardwalk Airshow
- Miss America Pageant
- AC Seafood Fest
- AC Food and Wine Festival
- Boardwalk Hall Pipe Organ Tours
- White House Sub Shop – famous for their Philly cheesesteaks and Italian subs.
- Dock’s Oyster House – known for their seafood dishes, including oysters, clams, and lobster.
- Knife & Fork Inn – a classic steakhouse with a vintage ambiance.
- Angelo’s Fairmount Tavern – serves traditional Italian dishes such as pasta and meatballs.
- The Continental AC – offers global cuisine with a modern twist, including sushi rolls and small plates.
- Kelsey’s Atlantic City – known for their Southern-style comfort food like fried chicken and waffles.
- Tony Boloney’s – serves unique pizza creations like the Taco Pizza or the Cheesesteak Ole.
- Gilchrist Restaurant- famous for its blueberry pancakes.
- Margaritaville- offers island-inspired dishes like fish tacos or cheeseburgers in paradise.
- The iconic boardwalk in Atlantic City is a popular destination for walking, running, biking, and rollerblading.
- Atlantic City has several beaches that offer opportunities for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports.
- The Absecon Lighthouse is a historic landmark that offers panoramic views of the city from its observation deck.
- The Atlantic City Aquarium features exhibits on local marine life and offers interactive experiences like touch tanks and feeding shows.
- Located on the boardwalk, Steel Pier Amusement Park features rides like a Ferris wheel and roller coaster as well as games and food vendors.
- Historic Gardner’s Basin is a waterfront area that features shops, restaurants, boat tours, fishing charters, and an environmental education center.
- Bader Field Sports Complex offers facilities for:
- Baseball/softball fields
- Soccer fields
- Basketball courts
- Tennis courts
- Sand volleyball courts
- Horseshoe pits
- Picnic areas
- Walking paths
- Kennedy Plaza Ice Skating Rink is open seasonally from November through February
- Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World features:
- An indoor archery range
- Virtual shooting gallery
- Wildlife displays
- Tanger Outlets allows visitors to shop designer brands at discounted prices in Atlantic City