Geographic Coordinates: 49.583300, 11.016700
Temperature Range: -20.0°C to 40.0°C (-4°F to 104°F)
Climate: Cold winters, mild springs and autumns, and warm summers with occasional thunderstorms.
Erlangen, Located in northern Bavaria, Germany, Is a charming city with a population of approximately 112, 000 people. The city has a rich history dating back to the Middle Ages and offers visitors a unique blend of modernity and tradition. The architecture in Erlangen is impressive with well-preserved historic buildings that provide insight into the city’s past. The Hugenottenkirche is an impressive Protestant church built in the Baroque style in the early 18th century. Another notable landmark is Schloss Erlangen which was constructed as a residence for Margrave Christian Ernst von Brandenburg-Bayreuth.
Erlangen also offers several green spaces perfect for outdoor activities such as picnics or leisurely walks. The Botanischer Garten Erlangen covers an area of over three hectares and features over 4, 000 different plant species from around the world. As a university town, Erlangen attracts students from all over Europe who come here to study at one of Germany’s most prestigious universities – Friedrich-Alexander-Universität (FAU). With more than 40, 000 students enrolled at FAU alone – many international – there’s always something going on around campus.
The city also hosts several cultural events throughout the year that attract visitors from far and wide. Every summer since 1975 it hosts Bergkirchweih which is one of Bavaria’s largest beer festivals with traditional fairground rides like carousels or Ferris wheels; food stalls selling regional delicacies like sausages or pretzels; live music performances and local beer brewed especially for the occasion. Overall, Erlangen makes for an excellent base from which to explore Germany’s rich cultural heritage with easy access to nearby cities like Nuremberg and Bamberg as well as Munich just a few hours away by train.
Whether you’re interested in history, Nature or culture – there’s something here for everyone.
- Erlangen Castle
- Botanischer Garten Erlangen
- Markgrafentheater Erlangen
- Schlossgarten Erlangen
- Stadtmuseum Erlangen
- Altstädter Kirche
- Siemens MedMuseum
- Bergkirchweih Fair (held annually in May)
- Siemens: This German multinational conglomerate has a significant presence in Erlangen, with its headquarters for Siemens Healthineers situated in the city.
- Friedrich-Alexander University (FAU): As one of Germany’s oldest and most prestigious universities, FAU concentrates on engineering and natural sciences.
- Medical Technology: Several medical technology companies operate out of Erlangen, including Siemens Healthineers, Elekta AB, Medtronic GmbH, and Brainlab AG.
- Automotive Industry: The automotive industry also plays a crucial role in Erlangen’s economy with operations from companies like Schaeffler Group and Continental AG located within the city.
- Software Development: A few software development firms have their base in Erlangen such as Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits IIS which focuses on applied research into microelectronics.
- Biotechnology: There are several biotechnology firms operating out of Erlangen including Novartis International AG subsidiary Sandoz GmbH which produces biosimilars to treat cancer among other diseases.
- Renewable Energy: Companies such as E.ON SE have offices or production facilities situated within or near Erlangen that work toward developing renewable energy sources such as wind turbines or solar panels.
Overall, this Bavarian town is home to many high-tech industries making it an important center for innovation within Germany’s economy.
- The founding of the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg in 1743 by Margrave Friedrich von Brandenburg-Bayreuth.
- The establishment of the Huguenot community in Erlangen in the late 17th century, which contributed significantly to the city’s cultural and economic development.
- The construction of the Erlangen Palace in 1704 by Margrave Christian Ernst, which served as a residence for the margraves of Brandenburg-Bayreuth.
- The development of Erlangen as a center for medical research and innovation, particularly through its association with Friedrich Alexander University’s medical faculty.
- Notable figures associated with Erlangen include philosopher Johann Gottfried Herder, mathematician Georg Simon Ohm who formulated Ohm’s law, physicist Max Planck who developed quantum theory and poet Paul Heyse who won Nobel Prize for Literature.
- During World War II, Erlangen was heavily bombed by Allied forces due to its strategic location as a transportation hub and industrial center.
- In recent years, Erlangen has become known for its high-tech industry and innovative startups in fields such as biotechnology software development and renewable energy.
- Erlangen Castle
- Botanischer Garten Erlangen (Botanical Garden)
- Stadtmuseum Erlangen (City Museum)
- Markgrafentheater (Margravial Opera House)
- Kunstpalais Erlangen (Art Gallery and Museum)
- Hugenottenkirche (Huguenot Church)
- Schlossgarten (Castle Garden)
- Altstädter Kirche St. Bartholomäus (Old Town Church of St Bartholomew)
- Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg
- Bergkirchweih Festival
- DJK Erlangen – DJK Erlangen is a multi-sport club that offers programs for sports such as football, basketball, volleyball, and table tennis. The club was founded in 1920 and has a strong focus on youth development.
- SG Siemens Erlangen/Nürnberg – SG Siemens Erlangen/Nürnberg is a handball team that was formed through a merger between the handball teams of Siemens AG in Erlangen and Nuremberg. The team plays its home games at the Paul-Moor-Halle in Nuremberg.
- TV 1848 Bruck – TV 1848 Bruck is a gymnastics and sports club based in Bruck near Erlangen. The club offers programs for various sports such as gymnastics, basketball, volleyball, and table tennis.
- SV Buckenhofen – SV Buckenhofen is a football team based in Buckenhofen near Erlangen that currently competes at the higher levels of German football leagues.
- ASV Herzogenaurach – ASV Herzogenaurach is a multi-sport club based in Herzogenaurach near Erlangen that offers programs for various sports such as football, basketball, volleyball, and athletics.
- The Erlangen Bergkirchweih is a beer festival held every year in May or June that features carnival rides, food stalls, and plenty of beer.
- The International Comic Salon is a festival held every two years in Erlangen that celebrates the art of comics. It includes exhibitions, workshops, and talks by international comic artists.
- The Poetenfest is a literary festival that takes place annually in August in the historic Old Town of Erlangen. Renowned poets from Germany and beyond come to give readings.
- The Erlanger Jazztage is an annual jazz festival that takes place in October featuring local and international jazz musicians’ concerts.
- The Markgrafentheater Festival showcases new productions from around Germany at the historic theater throughout the year along with plays, operas, ballets performances.
- The Bergkirchweihlauf is a popular running event during the Bergkirchweih beer festival where runners run through the streets of Erlangen.
- Altstadtfest (Old Town Festival) happens annually during July as a street fair featuring live music performances on multiple stages throughout the city center along with traditional German cuisine like bratwursts and pretzels sold by food vendors.
- The Kunstpalais Exhibition Program showcases rotating exhibitions throughout the year at Friedrich-Alexander-University’s contemporary art museum featuring works from both emerging artists as well as established names on Europe’s contemporary art scene.
- Erlanger Poetry Slam organizes monthly poetry slam events at Kulturzentrum E-Werk where local poets compete against each other to win over audiences with their original poems.
- The Erlanger Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas Market) offers festive foods like gingerbread cookies, mulled wine leading up to Christmas Day during December at Schlossplatz square along with various Christmas-themed gifts and decorations for sale annually.
- Schlenkerla is renowned for its smoked beer and traditional Franconian cuisine.
- Bratwurst Röslein has a reputation for serving delicious grilled sausages and other German specialties.
- Zum Schwarzen Bären offers a range of hearty Bavarian dishes and local beers.
- Café Bauer is known for its freshly baked cakes, pastries, and coffee.
- Pizzeria Da Pino serves authentic Italian pizza and pasta dishes.
- Wirtshaus Leupoldsdorf is a cozy tavern that serves regional Franconian cuisine.
- Kitzmann Bräuhaus Erlangen is a popular brewery that offers a variety of locally brewed beers and classic Bavarian dishes like schnitzel, sausages, and pretzels.
- Gasthaus zur Sonne is a family-run restaurant that serves homemade German comfort food like roast pork with dumplings, sauerkraut, and gravy.
- Tafelhof Palais Hotel & Restaurant offers refined European cuisine in an elegant setting with a beautiful garden terrace.
- Zum Guldenen Sternen Erlangen – Dechsendorf is an old-fashioned inn that specializes in Franconian-style roasted meat dishes served with potato dumplings or spaetzle noodles.
- Schlossgarten is a large park that features walking paths, gardens, and a pond.
- Botanischer Garten Erlangen is a botanical garden that boasts over 3,000 species of plants.
- Röthelheimpark is a popular park for jogging, picnicking, and sports activities.
- Hain-Park is a historic park with fountains, sculptures, and walking trails.
- Tennenloher Forst is an ideal forest area for hiking and cycling enthusiasts.
- Schwabachgrund Park offers playgrounds and picnic areas within an urban green space.
- Walderlebnispfad provides educational activities for children along its nature trail.
- Indoor Climbing Center Erlangen allows visitors to experience indoor rock climbing in a safe environment.
- Main-Donau-Kanal runs through the city offering opportunities for boating or fishing enthusiasts alike.
- Erlanger Bergkirchweih is an annual beer festival held in May at the Bergkirchweih hill featuring traditional German food and drinks as well as carnival rides to enjoy!