Geographic Coordinates: 47.388700, -122.213000
Kent is a city located in King County, Washington, United States. With a population of over 128, 000 residents, It is the sixth-largest city in the state of Washington and one of the fastest-growing cities in the region. Kent is situated within close proximity to Seattle and Tacoma, Making it an ideal location for those who want to enjoy the amenities of both cities while still enjoying a more suburban lifestyle. The history of Kent dates back to 1861 when settlers arrived in the area and established farms.
The city was officially incorporated in 1890 and has since grown into a bustling community with a diverse economy that includes manufacturing, Retail trade, Healthcare services, Education services, And more. Kent’s strategic location along major transportation corridors such as Interstate 5 and State Route 167 has made it an important hub for commerce. One of the most notable attractions in Kent is ShoWare Center which serves as home ice for the Seattle Thunderbirds hockey team but also hosts concerts from notable performers like Carrie Underwood or comedy acts like Jeff Dunham.
The center also hosts community events such as high school graduations or local craft fairs throughout the year. Kent boasts several parks including Lake Meridian Park which offers fishing opportunities on its namesake lake along with picnic areas and playgrounds for families to enjoy. Other parks include Clark Lake Park where visitors can hike through forested trails or play disc golf on one of three courses available at this park alone.
For those interested in history or art scenes there are two museums within city limits: The Greater Kent Historical Society Museum showcases artifacts that tell stories about early settlers while Green River College’s Helen S Smith Gallery presents rotating exhibitions featuring work by local artists.
In addition to its cultural offerings , Kent also provides excellent recreation opportunities including hiking trails at Soos Creek Trailhead Park where visitors can explore wetland habitats alongside native wildlife species like beavers or red-tailed hawks; biking paths along the Green River Trail that stretch for miles through wooded areas and past scenic vistas; as well as fishing in one of many stocked ponds or rivers throughout the region. Overall, Kent is a vibrant and growing community that offers residents and visitors alike a wide range of amenities.
From its thriving economy to its natural beauty, There is something for everyone in this city. Whether you are looking for outdoor adventure or cultural enrichment, Kent has it all.
- Kent Falls State Park
- Sloane-Stanley Museum & Kent Iron Furnace
- Macedonia Brook State Park
- Eric Sloane Museum & Kent Iron Furnace
- The House of Books
- Seven Hearths Museum
- Southford Falls State Park
- Schaghticoke Mountain Trail
- Bull’s Bridge Covered Bridge
- Litchfield Hills Wine Trail
- Kent, United States is home to several major industries and businesses.
- The aerospace and defense industry is present in the area, with companies such as Boeing, Blue Origin, and Honeywell.
- Kent has a strong manufacturing sector that produces electronics, medical devices, and machinery.
- The technology industry is growing in Kent with Microsoft and Google having offices located in the area.
- The healthcare industry is prominent as well with Valley Medical Center providing employment opportunities for residents.
- Retail stores are abundant in Kent including shopping centers like The Commons at Federal Way and Westfield Southcenter Mall.
- Agriculture is an important industry due to the fertile soil surrounding Kent; crops like berries are grown locally.
- Logistics and transportation are significant industries due to Kent’s location near major ports and highways.
- Companies such as Amazon have distribution centers located here as well.
- The founding of Kent in 1670 by English settlers.
- The Kent State shootings on May 4, 1970, where four students were killed and nine others injured during a protest against the Vietnam War.
- The establishment of Kent State University in 1910, which is now one of the largest universities in Ohio.
- The birthplace of President James A. Garfield, who was born in nearby Orange Township and later served as the 20th President of the United States.
- The Underground Railroad passed through Kent on its way to Canada, with notable stops including the home of abolitionist John Brown and his family.
- The Kent Free Library was founded in 1892 by Andrew Carnegie and remains one of only a few Carnegie libraries still operating today.
- Notable residents include author Toni Morrison, actor/comedian Arsenio Hall, and musician Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys).
- In recent years, Kent has become known for its vibrant arts scene with events such as the annual Art Walk attracting visitors from all over Northeast Ohio.
- The Kent Historical Society Museum showcases the history of Kent and its surrounding areas.
- The Eric Sloane Museum is dedicated to the work of artist, author, and historian Eric Sloane who lived and worked in Kent for many years.
- The Morrison Gallery features contemporary art from both established and emerging artists.
- Macedonia Brook State Park offers hiking trails, picnic areas, and scenic views of the surrounding countryside.
- Bull’s Bridge is a historic covered bridge that spans the Housatonic River and is a popular spot for photography enthusiasts.
- Kent Falls State Park features a series of waterfalls that cascade down a rocky gorge.
- Seven Hearths Museum was once home to American Revolutionary War hero Major John André and now serves as a historic house museum.
- South Kent School Art Gallery showcases works by students as well as visiting artists on the campus of South Kent School.
- Sloane-Stanley Museum & Kent Iron Furnace Site offer visitors exhibits on iron production in the 19th century which provides insight into Connecticut’s industrial past.
- Flanders Nature Center & Land Trust manages over 2,000 acres of land in northwest Connecticut for conservation purposes while offering educational programs for visitors of all ages.
- The Kent State University has a successful athletic program, with teams in 18 sports. The football and men’s basketball teams have won several championships and made appearances in bowl games and NCAA tournaments.
- Kent Roosevelt Rough Riders is a high school with a strong athletic program, featuring successful teams in football, basketball, wrestling, and track and field.
- Kent Cyclones is a youth hockey organization that offers programs for players of all ages and skill levels. It has grown to become one of the largest hockey programs in Ohio since its founding in 1996.
- Portage Trail Conference includes several high schools from the Kent area such as Streetsboro High School, Ravenna High School, Field High School, Mogadore High School, Waterloo High School and Southeast High School.
- Kent Cardinals was a semi-professional football team that played in the Continental Indoor Football League from 2010-2012 before disbanding due to financial issues.
- Portage County Saints is a semi-professional soccer team founded in 2017 that plays its home games at Dix Stadium on the campus of Kent State University.
- Akron Racers is a professional women’s softball team that plays their home games during season May through August at Firestone Stadium located just outside of Kent until their dissolution after their league ceased operations on September 14th ,2020.
- Kent Cornucopia Days is an annual festival held in July that includes a parade, live music, food vendors, and a carnival.
- The Kent International Festival celebrates the diverse cultures of Kent with performances, food vendors, and cultural displays.
- The Kent Farmers Market is open every Saturday from June to September and features fresh produce from local farmers as well as arts and crafts vendors.
- The Kent Fourth of July Splash event includes a parade, live music, food vendors, and fireworks display.
- Meeker Days Arts & Music Festival is held in June each year featuring over 200 craft booths selling handmade items as well as live music performances.
- Celebrate Asia Festival is an annual event celebrating Asian culture with traditional dance performances, martial arts demonstrations, and food vendors.
- Pacific Rim Festival takes place in August each year at Lake Meridian Park in Kent to celebrate the cultures of the Pacific Rim with traditional dance performances and cultural displays.
- Oktoberfest Northwest is a fall festival featuring German beer gardens, traditional Bavarian cuisine, live entertainment, games, contests, and more!
- Kent Winterfest Holiday Market & Tree Lighting Ceremony – A winter holiday celebration that includes an artisan market featuring local artists selling handmade gifts along with hot cocoa stands, carolers, Santa Claus visits for kids, tree lighting ceremony, etc!
- Seattle International Film Festival (SIFF) at AMC Kent Station 14 – Not technically held within the city limits but still worth mentioning since it’s so close by! SIFF is one of the largest film festivals in North America showcasing hundreds of films from around the world across several venues throughout Seattle area including AMC theatre located right here in downtown Kent!
- The Wild Wheat Bakery Cafe & Restaurant – known for their artisan bread and pastries
- Duke’s Chowder House – seafood restaurant with a focus on sustainable fishing practices
- Asadero Sinaloa – Mexican restaurant famous for their carne asada tacos
- Thai Chili Restaurant – authentic Thai cuisine with vegetarian options available
- Airways Brewing Company Tap Room & Brewery – craft brewery with a taproom serving pub food
- Pabla Indian Cuisine- Indian restaurant serving traditional dishes like biryani and curry.
- Banyan Tree Thai Cuisine- another authentic Thai cuisine option in the area.
- The Rock Wood Fired Pizza- pizza joint offering wood-fired pizzas with classic toppings.
- Lake Fenwick Park offers hiking trails, picnic areas, and fishing opportunities.
- Clark Lake Park features a playground, sports fields, and a walking trail.
- Soos Creek Trail is a paved trail for walking, jogging, or biking that runs through several parks in Kent.
- Morrill Meadows Park includes sports fields, playgrounds, and a splash pad for kids.
- East Hill Park has tennis courts, basketball courts, and picnic areas.
- Kent Valley Ice Centre is an indoor ice rink that offers public skating sessions and hockey games.
- Riverbend Golf Complex is an 18-hole golf course with driving range and pro shop.
- ShoWare Center is an indoor arena that hosts concerts and sporting events.
- Kent Station is a shopping center with AMC movie theater.
- Kent Farmers Market is open from June to September on Saturdays from 9am to 2pm.