Kinh Môn, Vietnam
Region: Hai Duong province
Geographic Coordinates: 21.033000, 106.500000
Temperature Range: 15.0°C to 35.0°C (59°F to 95°F)
Kinh Môn is a district situated in the Hai Duong province of Vietnam, Covering an area of 142 square kilometers and inhabited by around 200, 000 people. The district is renowned for its remarkable past, Picturesque scenery, And lively culture. Con Son-Kiep Bac National Historical Site is one of the most notable historical sites in Kinh Môn. The site comprises multiple temples and pagodas constructed to pay tribute to Tran Hung Dao, A national hero who led Vietnamese armies to triumph against Mongol invaders during the 13th century.
It also features several shrines and tombs dedicated to other significant personalities from Vietnamese history. Apart from its historical landmarks, Kinh Môn boasts numerous natural attractions such as Dong Cao Plateau that offers breathtaking views of the surrounding countryside. Visitors can hike or bike through the plateau’s verdant forests and rolling hills while admiring stunning vistas. The culture of Kinh Môn is heavily influenced by Buddhism and Confucianism. Tourists can explore various temples and pagodas scattered throughout the district that provide insights into these religions’ beliefs and practices.
Phu Giay Temple is one such temple that dates back over a millennium. Agriculture plays a vital role in Kinh Môn’s economy with rice being one of its primary crops. Many locals work as farmers or laborers on rice fields dotted throughout Kinh Môn’s rural areas. Additionally, There are many small businesses catering to both locals and tourists alike scattered across the district.
Kinh Môn has an enticing culinary scene with several local specialties worth trying during your visit like banh cuon (steamed rice rolls), Bun cha ca (fish cake noodle soup), Nem chua (fermented pork roll), Among others. whether you’re fascinated by exploring rich history or marveling at stunning landscapes or savoring unique cuisines – Kinh Môn has something for everyone, Making it an unforgettable destination for travelers.
- Kinh Môn Ancient Citadel: This is a historical site that dates back to the 10th century.
- Phat Tich Pagoda: A beautiful Buddhist temple with stunning architecture and intricate details.
- Thanh Mai Temple: A popular religious site that attracts many visitors throughout the year.
- Dong Nai Lake: A scenic lake surrounded by lush greenery and natural beauty.
- Van Phuc Village: Known for its traditional silk weaving techniques and high-quality silk products.
- Tram Gian Pagoda: A peaceful temple with a serene atmosphere, perfect for meditation and relaxation.
- Hoa Lu Ancient Capital: An important historical site that served as the capital of Vietnam during the Dinh Dynasty (968-980).
- Tam Coc-Bich Dong National Park: A breathtaking natural wonderland with stunning limestone cliffs, caves, and rivers.
- Cuc Phuong National Park: One of Vietnam’s largest national parks known for its diverse flora and fauna species.
- Ngoa Van Pagoda: A unique pagoda built on a small island in Dong Nai Lake offering spectacular views of the surrounding area.
- Agriculture (rice, maize, cassava)
- Aquaculture (shrimp farming)
- Garment manufacturing
- Construction materials production
- Small-scale handicrafts
- Service industries such as retail stores and restaurants
- Battle of Kinh Môn: This battle took place during the Vietnam War between North Vietnamese and South Vietnamese forces from March 8-18, 1965. It resulted in significant casualties for both sides.
- Trần Nguyên Đán: A famous scholar and poet who lived during the 18th century, Trần Nguyên Đán is known for his contributions to Confucianism and literature.
- Lê Hữu Từ: As a military commander, Lê Hữu Từ played an important role in defending Vietnam against foreign invaders during the late 18th century.
- Nguyễn Văn Cừ: A revolutionary leader who fought against French colonial rule in Vietnam during the early 20th century.
- Phạm Thị Huệ: Phạm Thị Huệ was a female soldier who fought alongside North Vietnamese forces during the Vietnam War with bravery and dedication to her country’s cause.
- Lý Thường Kiệt: A renowned general who served under several dynasties throughout Vietnamese history, including helping repel multiple invasions from China under Ly dynasty (1010-1225).
- Hoàng Sa Trung Quốc Incident: In January 1974, Chinese naval forces attacked South Vietnamese troops stationed on Hoàng Sa (Paracel) Islands located off Kinh Môn district’s coast, leading to increased tensions between China and Vietnam.
- Kinh Môn Martyrs Cemetery is a memorial site that honors soldiers and civilians who lost their lives during the Vietnam War.
- The Ho Chi Minh Museum is dedicated to the life and legacy of Ho Chi Minh, a revolutionary leader who played a crucial role in Vietnam’s struggle for independence.
- Tram Pagoda, located in Kinh Môn district, features stunning architecture, intricate carvings and breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape.
- The Hai Duong Province Museum showcases the history, culture and traditions of Hai Duong province through exhibits on agriculture, handicrafts, music, art and more.
- Thanh Mai Temple in Thanh Mai village offers visitors a serene atmosphere with its beautiful architecture.
- Dong Nhan Temple dates back to the 17th century and features stunning artwork depicting scenes from Buddhist mythology.
- Cao Ancestral House was built over 200 years ago by a wealthy merchant family and has been preserved as a cultural heritage site.
- The Thuong Temple Festival takes place annually during lunar new year celebrations (Tet) in Kinh Môn district featuring colorful parades, traditional music performances food stalls selling local delicacies like banh chung (sticky rice cake), dragon dances along with other cultural activities attracting many visitors every year.
- Kinh Môn Festival: A traditional festival held annually on the 10th day of the third lunar month to commemorate the village’s founding ancestor.
- Nghinh Ông Festival: A coastal festival celebrated on the 15th day of the eighth lunar month to honor Whale God, who protects fishermen from storms and sea monsters.
- Tet Nguyen Dan: The Vietnamese New Year celebrated in late January or early February with fireworks, dragon dances, and traditional foods.
- Mid-Autumn Festival: Celebrated on the 15th day of the eighth lunar month with mooncakes, lanterns, and lion dances.
- Hung Kings Temple Festival: A national holiday celebrated on April 10 to commemorate Vietnam’s legendary founders and first kings.
- Hue Festival: Held every two years in nearby Hue city (about an hour’s drive from Kinh Môn), this international arts event showcases traditional music, dance, theater, and cuisine from around Vietnam and other countries in Southeast Asia.
- Bánh đa cá lóc (rice noodle soup with snakehead fish)
- Bánh cuốn (steamed rice rolls)
- Phở bò (beef noodle soup)
- Chả cá Lã Vọng (fried fish with turmeric and dill)
- Cơm tấm (broken rice with grilled meat)
Some popular restaurants in Kinh Môn are:
- Nhà hàng Hải Sản Ngon
- Quán ăn Thành Đạt
- Nhà hàng Chén Xanh
- Quán Ăn Tân Thành
- Nhà Hàng Hoàng Gia
- Kinh Mon Park is the main public park in Kinh Mon, offering a large lake, walking paths, and playgrounds.
- Hoang Van Thu Park is located in the town center and provides recreational activities like basketball courts, soccer fields, and jogging tracks.
- Thanh Son Eco-tourism Area offers outdoor activities such as fishing, boating, cycling and hiking through scenic landscapes.
- Dong Trong Cultural Village showcases traditional Vietnamese architecture and culture with ancient houses from different regions across Vietnam.
- Kinh Mon Golf Course is an 18-hole golf course located on the outskirts of town for golf enthusiasts to enjoy playing on.
- Bao Minh Waterfall is a beautiful waterfall just outside of Kinh Mon town where visitors can hike to for a refreshing swim or picnic with friends or family.
- My Loc Hot Spring Resort & Spa offers mineral-rich hot springs pools and spa treatments in tranquil surroundings for visitors to relax at this natural hot spring resort.