Geographic Coordinates: 27.257800, 111.735000
Temperature Range: -40.0°C to 35.0°C (-40°F to 95°F)
Liangshi is a small city located in the southeastern part of China, In the province of Hunan. It is situated on the banks of the Xiang River and surrounded by lush green hills, Making it a picturesque location. Despite its small size, Liangshi has a rich history dating back to over 2, 000 years ago during the Han Dynasty. The city was once an important center for trade and commerce due to its strategic location along the river. One of Liangshi’s most notable attractions is its ancient town which dates back to the Ming Dynasty.
The town features well-preserved traditional architecture including narrow streets lined with old houses and shops selling local handicrafts such as bamboo baskets and hand-woven textiles. Visitors can also explore several ancient temples that are scattered throughout the town. Another popular attraction in Liangshi is Mount Hengshan, One of China’s five sacred mountains located just outside of the city. The mountain offers stunning views of surrounding landscapes and attracts many pilgrims who come to pay their respects at various temples and shrines dotted along its slopes.
For those interested in nature, Liangshi has several parks worth exploring such as Xianren Park which features unique rock formations that resemble human figures carved by nature over thousands of years. There is also Yuelu Mountain National Forest Park which boasts diverse flora and fauna including rare species such as Chinese giant salamanders. Food lovers will be delighted with Liangshi’s cuisine which includes local specialties such as spicy fish hotpot made with fresh river fish caught from nearby rivers or bamboo rice cooked inside freshly cut bamboo stalks giving it a unique flavor.
visitors can experience traditional Chinese culture through various festivals held throughout the year including Dragon Boat Festival where teams compete in boat races down Xiang River or Mid-Autumn Festival when locals gather together to eat mooncakes under bright full moonlight. Overall, Liangshi may be a small city, But it offers a wealth of attractions and experiences that make it a must-visit destination for anyone traveling to Hunan province.
- The Three Gorges Dam: A huge hydroelectric dam on the Yangtze River.
- Fengdu Ghost City: An ancient city with temples and shrines dedicated to the afterlife.
- Shibaozhai Pagoda: A 12-story pagoda built into a cliff overlooking the Yangtze River.
- White Emperor City: An ancient city located on a hill overlooking the Yangtze River.
- Zhang Fei Temple: A temple dedicated to Zhang Fei, a famous general during the Three Kingdoms period of Chinese history.
- Wushan Small Three Gorges: A scenic area with narrow canyons and steep cliffs along the Daning River.
- Dazu Rock Carvings: A UNESCO World Heritage Site featuring thousands of Buddhist sculptures carved into rock faces over a period of 1,000 years.
- Chongqing Chaotianmen Square: A large public square in Chongqing that offers views of both the Yangtze and Jialing Rivers.
Note that this information may not be accurate or up-to-date as things can change over time due to various reasons such as weather conditions or political situations etc.
- Liangshi boasts a rich history that dates back to the Han Dynasty, which spanned from 206 BC to 220 AD.
- During the Tang Dynasty, which lasted from 618-907, Liangshi was a critical center for trade and commerce. Many well-known traders and merchants called the city their home during this time.
- In the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), Liangshi became a hub for Confucianism and attracted numerous scholars and intellectuals.
- The Taiping Rebellion (1850-1864) occurred during China’s Qing Dynasty (1644-1912), with Liangshi playing a significant role in this civil war led by Hong Xiuquan, who claimed to be Jesus Christ’s younger brother.
- Huang Laoxie is one of Liangshi’s most famous historical figures from Chinese folklore, renowned for his martial arts prowess and healing abilities.
- Zhang Daqian is another notable individual associated with Liangshi; he was born in nearby Neijiang but spent much of his life traveling throughout China as well as abroad as one of China’s most distinguished painters of the twentieth century.
- Recently, eco-tourism has become prevalent in Liangshi because of its breathtaking natural beauty that includes forests, rivers, waterfalls, and hot springs.
- Liangshan Yi Nationality Cultural Museum
- Wumeng Mountain National Geological Park
- Shuimo Ancient Town
- Qiongjie Temple
- Baojing Palace
- Huidong Ancient Town
- Huangmao Ancient City
- Mabian Yi Autonomous County Museum
- Xingwen Stone Forest Scenic Area
- Yele Great Canyon Scenic Area
- The Dragon Boat Festival: Celebrated on the fifth day of the fifth lunar month (usually around June) to honor Qu Yuan, a famous Chinese poet.
- The Lantern Festival: Celebrated on the 15th day of the first lunar month (usually around February or March) to mark the end of Chinese New Year celebrations.
- The Mid-Autumn Festival: Celebrated on the 15th day of the eighth lunar month (usually around September or October) to celebrate good harvests and family reunions.
- The Liangshan Yi Nationality Torch Festival: Held annually in August by Yi people living in Liangshan Prefecture to celebrate their culture and traditions.
- The Sanyuesan Festival: A traditional festival celebrated by Miao people living in Liangshan Prefecture during late March or early April every year.
- The International Tea Culture Tourism Festival: A festival aimed at promoting tea culture and tourism industry in Liangshan Prefecture held every year during late April or early May.
- Liangshan Spicy Chicken (凉山辣子鸡) – a spicy chicken dish that is popular in Liangshi.
- Maocai (冒菜) – a Sichuan-style hot pot dish with vegetables and meat.
- Guoqiao Mixian (过桥米线) – a Yunnan noodle soup dish with various toppings.
- Xiangxi Beef Noodle Soup (湘西牛肉面) – a hearty beef noodle soup from the Hunan province.
- Shuizhuyu (水煮鱼) – a spicy Sichuan fish stew dish.
Some popular restaurants in Liangshi include:
- Laochengyi Restaurant (老成一餐厅).
- Jinyunlou Restaurant (金云楼).
- Hongxinglou Restaurant (红星楼).
- Baishengyuan Restaurant（百盛源）.
- Tongzilin restaurant（桐梓林）.
- Liangshi Ecological Park
- Liangshi National Forest Park
- Liangshi Wetland Park
- Liangshi Cultural and Sports Center
- Liangshi Stadium
- Liangshi Swimming Pool
- Liangshi Tennis Court
- Liangshan Mountain Hiking Trail
- Fishing in the Qingshan River
- Cycling along the scenic roads of the city