Geographic Coordinates: 25.977300, -80.335100
Temperature Range: 10.0°C to 35.0°C (50°F to 95°F)
Climate: Miramar, United States has a subtropical climate with hot summers and mild winters. The area experiences frequent thunderstorms in the summer months and occasional cold fronts in the winter.
Miramar is a city located in Broward County, Florida, United States. It is situated just west of Hollywood and north of Miami, Making it a prime location for both business and leisure activities. The city’s name means sea view in Spanish, Which is fitting given its proximity to the Atlantic Ocean. Originally developed as a bedroom community for nearby Fort Lauderdale in the 1950s, Miramar has since grown into a thriving city with over 140, 000 residents.
The area boasts several parks and recreational areas such as Miramar Regional Park and Silver Shores Park that offer plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities like hiking, Biking, Fishing or just relaxing under the sun. One of the most notable features of Miramar is its diverse population. With over 40% of residents identifying as Hispanic or Latino and more than 20% being African American or Black alone or in combination with other races according to Census data from 2019 , Miramar has become an important cultural hub within South Florida.
Miramar’s economy has also been growing rapidly over recent years due to its strategic location near major transportation hubs such as Miami International Airport and Port Everglades. Many large corporations have set up shop here including Spirit Airlines headquarters which employs thousands within the region. The education system in Miramar is top-notch with several highly rated public schools including Somerset Academy Charter High School – Miramar Campus that offers students rigorous academic programs along with extracurricular activities such as sports teams and clubs.
For those looking for entertainment options beyond outdoor recreation there are plenty of options available including shopping centers like Pembroke Lakes Mall where visitors can find everything from high-end designer brands to discount stores like Marshalls or Ross Dress For Less . Additionally there are numerous restaurants serving up delicious cuisine ranging from traditional American fare to international dishes from countries around the world . Overall, Whether you’re looking for fun in the sun at one of its many parks or beaches or exploring the diverse cultural and entertainment options, Miramar is a great place to visit or call home.
- Miramar Regional Park
- Monster Mini Golf
- Ansin Sports Complex
- FBI South Florida Headquarters
- Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
- Hard Rock Stadium
- Miami Seaquarium
- Biscayne National Park
- Art Deco Historic District
- Miami Beach Boardwalk
- Aerospace and Defense: Several aerospace and defense companies call Miramar home, including Spirit Airlines, General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin, and HEICO.
- Healthcare: The healthcare industry is also a significant employer in Miramar with facilities from Memorial Healthcare System and the University of Miami Health System located within the city.
- Technology: Many technology companies have their headquarters or offices in Miramar such as Comcast, BlackBerry, Citrix Systems Inc., and Siemens.
- Retail: There are several retail centers located throughout the city like Pembroke Lakes Mall which houses stores from various brands such as Macy’s JCPenney’s among others.
- Hospitality: The hospitality industry is thriving with several hotels like Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Miami-Doral Dolphin Mall situated within the city limits.
- Logistics & Transportation: Due to its proximity to Miami International Airport (MIA) and Port Everglades (PEV), logistics & transportation are significant industries that contribute to the economy of Miramar.
- The land that is now Miramar was originally owned by A.L. Mailman who bought it in 1953 for $200 an acre.
- The city of Miramar was officially incorporated on May 26, 1955.
- In the early years of its existence, Miramar was primarily an agricultural community known for its dairy farms and nurseries.
- In the late 1960s and early 1970s, Miramar experienced a population boom as people moved to South Florida seeking warmer weather and new opportunities.
- One of the most notable people associated with Miramar is former NFL player Chad Johnson (formerly Chad Ochocinco), who played for the Miami Dolphins in 2012.
- Another notable person associated with Miramar is rapper Rick Ross who grew up in the city before achieving fame as a recording artist.
- The city has also been home to several professional athletes over the years including NBA player Tracy McGrady and NFL players Devin Hester and Louis Delmas.
- In recent years, Miramar has become known as a hub for technology companies like Spirit Airlines and Ultimate Software which have both established headquarters in the city.
- Miramar Cultural Center is a modern cultural hub that houses an 800-seat theater, art gallery, and banquet hall.
- Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is a historic estate in Miami that showcases Italian Renaissance-style architecture and beautiful gardens.
- Frost Art Museum features contemporary art from around the world on the Florida International University campus.
- Ancient Spanish Monastery is a medieval monastery originally built in Spain in the 12th century and later brought to the US.
- The Wolfsonian-FIU Museum explores modern design through its collection of objects from 1885-1945 in Miami Beach.
- Bass Museum of Art exhibits contemporary art as well as temporary exhibitions in Miami Beach.
- Deering Estate at Cutler offers guided tours, nature hikes, and more for visitors to experience South Florida’s past history located south of Miramar.
- Perez Art Museum Miami (PAMM) showcases modern and contemporary art from around the world with changing exhibitions throughout the year located downtown Miami.
- Wynwood Walls is an outdoor street art installation featuring colorful murals by local artists that has become one of Miami’s top tourist attractions.
- The Phillip & Patricia Frost Science Museum is an interactive science museum that explores topics such as space exploration, physics experiments or health sciences among others.
- Miami Dolphins: The Miami Dolphins are an American football team based in nearby Miami Gardens. They play their home games at Hard Rock Stadium and have won two Super Bowl championships.
- Florida Panthers: The Florida Panthers are a professional ice hockey team based in Sunrise, which is also near Miramar. They play their home games at BB&T Center and have made one appearance in the Stanley Cup Finals.
- Miami Heat: The Miami Heat are a professional basketball team based in downtown Miami. They play their home games at American Airlines Arena and have won three NBA championships.
- Orange Bowl: The Orange Bowl is an annual college football bowl game that has been played since 1935. It takes place at Hard Rock Stadium and features some of the top teams from around the country.
- World Golf Championships-Cadillac Championship: This golf tournament was held annually at Trump National Doral Resort from 2007 to 2016 before moving to Mexico City for one year before being discontinued altogether after 2018.
- NASCAR Ford Championship Weekend: Homestead-Miami Speedway hosts this annual NASCAR event that crowns champions across all three national series (Cup Series, Xfinity Series, Truck Series).
- Miramar Optimist Flag Football League: A youth flag football league started by Miramar Optimist Club with over 500 players.
- Miramar High School Patriots: A high school known for its successful athletic programs including track & field, basketball and football among others.
Overall, while there aren’t many sports teams based directly out of Miramar itself due to its relatively small size compared to other cities like neighboring Fort Lauderdale or larger cities like Tampa or Orlando, the city and its surrounding areas are home to a number of notable sports teams and events.
- Miramar Cultural Center Artspark Festival: This annual festival celebrates the arts with live music performances, dance shows, art exhibitions, and cultural activities.
- Caribbean American Heritage Month Festival: Held every June, this festival showcases Caribbean culture through food vendors, live music performances, and traditional dance.
- Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration: From mid-September to mid-October each year, Miramar hosts a series of events celebrating Hispanic culture with food trucks offering Latin cuisine and live entertainment.
- Jazz in the Gardens Music Festival: This two-day event features jazz music from local and national artists along with food vendors serving up southern-style cuisine.
- Taste of Miramar Food & Wine Festival: Held annually in November at the Miramar Regional Park Amphitheater; this event features local restaurants serving up their signature dishes paired with wines from around the world.
- Bahamian Connection Restaurant – offers Bahamian cuisine.
- Island Vibes Restaurant – serves Caribbean cuisine.
- Captain’s Tavern Seafood Market & Restaurant – specializes in seafood dishes.
- La Granja Miramar – serves Latin American cuisine.
- Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza – offers Italian-American dishes.
- Tijuana Flats – specializes in Mexican food.
- Sushi Room – serves Japanese food and sushi rolls.
- Pita Plus of Miramar – offers Mediterranean fare and kebabs.
- Miramar Regional Park offers a range of recreational activities, such as sports fields, playgrounds, picnic areas, and nature trails.
- Silver Shores Park features a basketball court, tennis courts, a playground area, and walking paths.
- Sunset Lakes Community Center & Park boasts an outdoor pool with water slides and a splash pad along with basketball courts and soccer fields.
- Forzano Park provides baseball fields, basketball courts, tennis courts, and picnic areas for visitors to enjoy.
- Miramar Pineland Park is a natural preserve that has hiking trails through pine rockland forests and wetlands.
- Fairway Park includes sports fields for soccer and softball as well as playground equipment for children to play on.
- River Run Park is a small neighborhood park that has a playground area for children to enjoy themselves in.
- Silver Lakes Sports Complex offers multiple sports facilities including baseball diamonds and soccer fields suitable for all ages to enjoy playing in the open air!
- Miramar Aquatic Complex is the perfect place to cool off during hot summer days with its Olympic-size pool!
- Fountains of Miramar is a beautiful public space featuring fountains that light up at night!