Region: Davao de Oro
Geographic Coordinates: 7.600800, 125.966000
Temperature Range: -5.0°C to 40.0°C (23°F to 104°F)
Climate: Climate and weather patterns in Nabunturan, Philippines?
Nabunturan, Located in the province of Compostela Valley in the southern part of the Philippines, Is a charming and vibrant town that offers a mix of natural wonders, Cultural heritage, And warm hospitality. Nestled amidst lush mountains and verdant landscapes, This picturesque town is often referred to as the Golden Town due to its rich gold mining history. One of Nabunturan’s main attractions is its stunning natural beauty. The town is blessed with breathtaking waterfalls such as Marangig Falls, Which cascades down from towering cliffs into crystal-clear pools below.
Visitors can take a refreshing dip or simply admire the mesmerizing sight while surrounded by lush greenery. Another must-visit destination is Mt. Diwata Range Natural Park, Home to diverse flora and fauna as well as scenic hiking trails that lead adventurers through dense forests and up to panoramic viewpoints. Aside from its natural wonders, Nabunturan also boasts a vibrant cultural scene. The annual Kasadya Festival celebrates the town’s abundant harvests with colorful parades featuring street dances and traditional music performances. This event showcases not only local talents but also highlights the importance of agriculture in Nabunturan’s economy.
For those interested in history and heritage, There are several landmarks worth exploring in Nabunturan. The Municipal Hall stands proudly at the heart of town—a striking architectural masterpiece that reflects both Spanish colonial influence and modern design elements. Nearby lies Stela de Oro Monument, An iconic symbol commemorating Nabunturan’s gold mining industry. In terms of gastronomy, Visitors will delight in sampling local delicacies unique to this region. One must-try dish is ginataang suso, A savory snail stew cooked with coconut milk—a testament to Nabunturan’s coastal location providing fresh seafood options.
Hospitality plays an important role in making any visit memorable; luckily for travelers visiting Nabunturan will experience warm Filipino hospitality at its finest. The locals are known for their friendliness, Making visitors feel right at home. Small in size but big in heart, Nabunturan offers a peaceful and welcoming atmosphere that is perfect for those seeking an escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. Nabunturan is a hidden gem in the Philippines that offers a unique blend of natural beauty, Cultural heritage, And warm hospitality.
Whether you’re an adventure seeker looking to explore stunning waterfalls and mountains or a history enthusiast interested in learning about the town’s gold mining past, Nabunturan has something to offer everyone. With its picturesque landscapes and friendly locals, This charming town provides an unforgettable experience for visitors seeking an off-the-beaten-path destination in the Philippines.
- Mt. Diwata Range: This mountain range is popular among adventure seekers and nature lovers. It offers various activities such as hiking, camping, and bird watching.
- Mainit Hot Spring: Located in Barangay Mainit, this natural hot spring is known for its therapeutic properties. Visitors can relax in the warm waters surrounded by lush greenery.
- Marangig Falls: This stunning waterfall is located in New Bataan, just a short distance from Nabunturan. It features multiple tiers of cascading water surrounded by a beautiful forest.
- Magpungko Rock Pools: Situated in Compostela Valley Province near Nabunturan, these rock pools are ideal for swimming and cliff jumping during low tide.
- Lake Leonard: A serene lake located within the boundaries of Compostela Valley Province, offering picturesque views and opportunities for boating and fishing.
- San Agustin Parish Church: Also known as Nabunturan Parish Church, it is a historical church built during the Spanish colonial period with beautiful architecture worth visiting.
- Capitol Park Complex: This park complex houses various government buildings such as the Provincial Capitol Building and offers recreational spaces for locals and tourists alike.
- People’s Park (Lunao): Located at Barangay Lunao, this park provides a peaceful environment with lush greenery where visitors can relax or have picnics.
- Calatagan Cave System (Bongbongon Cave): A network of caves that showcases impressive stalactite formations; it’s an exciting destination for spelunking enthusiasts.
- Binaba Falls Eco Park: An eco-park featuring Binaba Falls – a majestic waterfall surrounded by verdant forests perfect for nature walks or picnics.
- Agriculture: Nabunturan is known for its agricultural sector, with crops such as rice, corn, bananas, coconut, and vegetables being cultivated. The town has several agricultural farms and plantations.
- Mining: The municipality is also home to mining operations that extract gold and other minerals from the area’s rich mineral deposits.
- Tourism: Nabunturan has started to develop its tourism industry due to its natural attractions like waterfalls (Mainit Hot Spring Waterfall), caves (Bongolanon Cave), and scenic landscapes. Eco-tourism activities are being promoted in the region.
- Retail and Trade: As a commercial center of Compostela Valley Province, Nabunturan has numerous retail stores, markets, and trading centers where locals can buy goods.
- Services: Various service-oriented businesses thrive in the town such as restaurants, hotels, resorts, transportation services (tricycle drivers), healthcare facilities (hospitals/clinics), banks/financial institutions etc.
- Education: With several schools ranging from elementary to tertiary level institutions present in the area including Compostela Valley State College-Nabunturan Campus; education plays a significant role in the local economy.
- Small-scale Industries: There are also small-scale industries like handicraft production (basket weaving) that contribute to the local economy by providing employment opportunities for residents.
Please note that this information may not be exhaustive but provides an overview of some major industries/businesses present in Nabunturan.
- Formation of Nabunturan: The town was officially established on June 18, 1968, through Republic Act No. 5250.
- Mining Industry: Nabunturan played a significant role in the mining industry during its early years. Gold mining operations attracted people from different regions to settle in the area.
- Typhoon Pablo (Bopha) Devastation: In December 2012, Typhoon Pablo struck the province of Davao de Oro, including Nabunturan. The typhoon caused widespread destruction and claimed many lives.
- Governor Jose Caballero: Jose Caballero served as the governor of Davao de Oro from 2001 to 2010. He initiated various development projects in Nabunturan and played a crucial role in its growth.
- Mount Diwata Gold Rush: Located near Nabunturan is Mount Diwata (also known as Mt. Diwalwal), which became famous for its gold rush during the late 1980s until recent years.
- Indigenous Peoples’ Cultural Heritage: The municipality is home to several indigenous peoples’ communities such as the Mansaka tribe, who have preserved their cultural heritage over generations.
- Lake Leonardia Tragedy: In May 1999, an accident occurred at Lake Leonardia when an overloaded motorized boat capsized due to strong winds and rough waters, resulting in numerous fatalities.
- Agri-Tourism Development: In recent years, efforts have been made to promote agri-tourism in Nabunturan by showcasing its agricultural products like durian and cacao farms through festivals and tours.
These are just a few notable historical events and people associated with Nabunturan, Philippines. The town continues to grow and evolve, shaping its history with new developments and achievements.
- Mount Diwata Range: This mountain range offers breathtaking views and is perfect for nature lovers and hiking enthusiasts.
- Mainit Hot Springs: Located near the town, Mainit Hot Springs is a popular tourist spot known for its natural hot springs and therapeutic waters.
- San Agustin Parish Church: Visit this beautiful church which showcases Spanish colonial architecture and rich religious history.
- Lake Leonard: A serene lake nestled in the heart of Nabunturan, Lake Leonard is a great place to relax, go fishing or have a picnic with family and friends.
- Nabunturan Public Market: Experience the local culture by exploring the bustling public market where you can find fresh produce, local delicacies, and various goods.
- Provincial Capitol Building: Marvel at the grandeur of Davao de Oro Provincial Capitol Building with its impressive architectural design.
- Museo de Davao de Oro (formerly ComVal Museum): Discover the history, culture, art, and heritage of Davao de Oro province through various exhibits housed in this museum.
- Golden Mosque (Masjid Al-Hidayah): Pay a visit to this beautiful mosque that serves as a place of worship for Muslim residents in Nabunturan.
- Maniki Falls: Explore Maniki Falls located nearby; it offers picturesque scenery surrounded by lush greenery and cascading waterfalls that you can enjoy swimming under.
- Marangig Falls: Another stunning waterfall worth visiting near Nabunturan is Marangig Falls; it features multiple tiers of cascading water amidst a tranquil forest setting.
Remember to check local regulations or restrictions before visiting these places as some may require prior arrangements or have limited access due to certain conditions or events happening at any given time.
- Nabunturan Basketball Club (NBC): The NBC is a local basketball team that competes in regional tournaments and leagues. They have been active for many years and have participated in various inter-town competitions.
- Nabunturan Football Club (NFC): The NFC is a football team representing Nabunturan in local football tournaments. They have been known to participate in regional leagues and friendly matches against other nearby towns.
- Nabunturan Volleyball Team: There are several volleyball teams composed of local enthusiasts who regularly compete against each other or join friendly matches with neighboring towns.
- Nabunturan Athletics Team: The athletics team consists of athletes from different age groups who represent the town in track and field events during provincial meets or regional competitions.
- Nabunturan Chess Club: Chess enthusiasts form this club to practice, compete, and improve their skills through regular tournaments held locally or regionally.
Although these teams might not have extensive histories like professional sports organizations, they play an essential role in promoting community engagement, physical fitness, teamwork, and friendly competition among locals within the town of Nabunturan.
- Araw ng Nabunturan – This is the town’s foundation anniversary celebration held every 8th of December. It features various activities such as street dancing, parades, beauty pageants, sports competitions, and cultural presentations.
- Kalibongan Festival – Held annually during the month of August, this festival showcases the indigenous culture and traditions of the Mansaka tribe who are indigenous to Nabunturan. The event includes street dancing competitions, agro-trade fairs, art exhibits, and tribal rituals.
- Pasundayag Festival – Celebrated every 16th to 19th of January in honor of the town’s patron saint Santo Niño de Cebu (Child Jesus). The festival highlights a grand procession featuring colorful floats depicting different religious themes.
- Kaimunan Festival – This festival takes place on May 1st and showcases local agricultural products such as fruits and vegetables through exhibits and trade fairs.
- Pasko sa Nayon – A Christmas celebration that features various activities like caroling contests, lantern-making competitions concerts showcasing local talent fireworks displays and a grand Christmas tree lighting ceremony.
These events offer visitors an opportunity to experience the rich culture and traditions of Nabunturan while enjoying lively performances and festivities.
- Durian – Nabunturan is known as the Durian Capital of the Philippines, so trying this famous fruit is a must.
- Native Chicken Tinola – A traditional Filipino soup made with chicken, ginger, and green papaya.
- Lechon Manok – Roasted chicken cooked over an open fire, often served with a special sauce.
- Seafood – Fresh seafood dishes like grilled fish, shrimp sinigang (sour soup), or kinilaw (ceviche) are popular choices in Nabunturan due to its proximity to the coast.
- D’ Farmhouse Restaurant – Known for its cozy ambiance and delicious Filipino dishes like crispy pata (deep-fried pork leg) and kare-kare (oxtail stew).
- Ka Inato Restaurant – Famous for their native chicken specialties such as fried chicken and sinampalukang manok (chicken in tamarind soup).
- Jollibee Nabunturan – A well-known fast-food chain that offers a variety of Filipino favorites like fried chicken, spaghetti, and burgers.
- Mang Danny’s Halo-Halo sa Bongbong’s – A local dessert shop where you can enjoy refreshing halo-halo on a hot day.
- Gold Crown Café & Restaurant – Offers various Filipino dishes such as adobo (marinated meat), pancit canton (stir-fried noodles), and crispy pata alongside international cuisines.
- Street Food Stalls – Along the streets of Nabunturan, you’ll find numerous food stalls selling local delicacies like balut (developing bird embryo boiled inside its shell), kwek-kwek (deep-fried quail eggs), and fish balls.
- People’s Park – A well-maintained park with lush greenery, picnic areas, and a playground for children.
- Centennial Park – Located near the municipal hall, this park offers a peaceful environment for walking or jogging.
- Rizal Park – Honoring the national hero Jose Rizal, this park features a statue of him and is a popular spot for locals to relax and socialize.
- Nabunturan Eco-Park – Known for its beautiful landscapes and natural surroundings, this eco-park offers hiking trails, camping sites, and picnic areas.
- Swimming at Kapalong Hot Springs – Located just outside Nabunturan in Kapalong town, these hot springs are perfect for swimming or soaking in warm mineral-rich water.
- Sports Complex – The local sports complex provides facilities for various sports such as basketball, volleyball, tennis, and badminton.
- Mountain Biking at Mount Diwalwal Trail – For adventure enthusiasts, the mountain biking trail at Mount Diwalwal offers an exciting experience amidst scenic views.
- Cultural Events at Municipal Plaza – The municipal plaza often hosts cultural events such as concerts or festivals where visitors can enjoy live music performances or traditional dances.
- Exploration of Waterfalls – Nearby waterfalls like Tagbibinta Falls offer opportunities for trekking or simply enjoying nature’s beauty while taking a refreshing dip in the cool waters.
- Bird Watching at Lake Leonardia Wildlife Sanctuary – This sanctuary is home to various bird species making it an ideal spot for birdwatching enthusiasts.
Please note that availability of certain activities may vary depending on weather conditions and other factors; it is advisable to check local information before visiting these places.