Geographic Coordinates: 59.433300, 18.083300
Temperature Range: -50.0°C to 40.0°C (-58°F to 104°F)
Climate: Climate: Cold, with long, harsh winters and mild summers.
Täby is a charming town located in Stockholm County, Sweden. It is situated just 12 kilometers north of Stockholm and offers a perfect blend of historical charm and modern amenities. Täby has a rich history dating back to the Viking Age and is known for its well-preserved ancient sites and picturesque landscapes. One of the highlights of Täby is its Old Town, Gamla Täby. This area showcases well-preserved buildings from the 18th and 19th centuries, Giving visitors a sense of stepping back in time. The narrow cobblestone streets are perfect for exploring quaint shops, Cozy cafes, And traditional Swedish houses.
Nature enthusiasts will be captivated by the beautiful landscapes surrounding Täby. The town boasts numerous parks and green areas where locals and visitors can enjoy leisurely walks or picnics amidst lush greenery. Näsbypark Nature Reserve is one such park that offers stunning views of Lake Vallentuna as well as opportunities for hiking or birdwatching. History buffs must visit Jarlabankes bro in Täby, An ancient Viking bridge dating back to the 11th century AD. This attraction provides insight into Sweden’s rich cultural heritage.
Another historical gem worth exploring is Roslagsbanan Museum Railway which showcases vintage steam engines used during early railway transportation. Sports enthusiasts will not be disappointed with what Täby has to offer either. The town features several sports facilities including golf courses, Tennis courts, Ice rinks, And swimming pools catering to both amateurs and professionals alike. For shopping lovers, Mall of Scandinavia – one of Scandinavia’s largest shopping centers – is located just a short distance away from Täby. Here you can indulge in luxury brands or explore an array of dining options within this modern retail paradise.
Täby also hosts various cultural events throughout the year such as music festivals and art exhibitions. The town’s commitment to the arts is evident in its vibrant cultural scene, With several galleries and theaters offering a diverse range of performances. Täby offers a unique experience for visitors with its blend of historical charm, Natural beauty, And modern amenities. Whether you’re exploring ancient Viking sites or enjoying the tranquility of its parks and nature reserves, Täby is sure to leave a lasting impression on all who visit.
- Täby Centrum: This is one of Sweden’s largest shopping centers, offering a wide range of shops, restaurants, and entertainment options.
- Jarlabanke Runestones: These ancient Viking-age runestones are located in the Jarlabanke’s bridge area and provide insights into the region’s history.
- Vallentuna Church: Although technically located in the neighboring municipality of Vallentuna, this medieval church is a popular attraction for visitors interested in historical architecture.
- Täby Park: A beautiful park with walking trails, picnic areas, and scenic views that offer opportunities for outdoor activities and relaxation.
- Djursholm Castle: Situated on the outskirts of Täby, Djursholm Castle is an impressive mansion built in 1820 that now serves as a venue for events and conferences.
- Gribbylunds Park: Another lovely park with lush greenery, lakeside views, playgrounds for children, and walking paths to enjoy nature.
- Hägernäs Strandbad: A popular beach area situated on Lake Rönninge where visitors can swim or relax by the water during summers.
- Lövsta Stables: Equestrian enthusiasts can visit Lövsta Stables to witness world-class horse training facilities and even catch some equestrian events if scheduled.
- Roslagsbanan Railway Museum (Roslagsbanans Järnvägsmuseum): This museum showcases the history of Roslagsbanan railway line through exhibits including old trains and photographs.
- Näsby Slott (Näsby Castle): Located just outside Täby borders but still easily accessible from within the municipality; Näsby Slott provides guided tours to explore its beautiful architecture dating back to 1665.
Note: Täby is primarily a residential area, so while it may not have as many famous landmarks as larger cities like Stockholm, it offers a peaceful and charming environment for visitors to enjoy.
- Information Technology: Täby is home to several IT companies, including software development firms, technology consulting companies, and data centers.
- Retail: Täby has a thriving retail sector with numerous shopping centers and stores offering a wide range of products and services.
- Construction: The construction industry is significant in Täby due to ongoing urban development projects and the demand for residential buildings.
- Healthcare: The healthcare sector is well-developed in Täby, with hospitals, clinics, and medical research facilities serving the local population.
- Education: Several educational institutions are located in Täby, ranging from primary schools to high schools and vocational training centers.
- Financial Services: Banks, insurance companies, and financial service providers have a presence in Täby to cater to the needs of businesses and residents.
- Manufacturing: Although not as prominent as other sectors, there are manufacturing companies operating in areas such as electronics production or specialized equipment manufacturing.
- Hospitality: Hotels, restaurants, cafes, and other hospitality establishments cater to both locals and tourists visiting the area.
- Professional Services: Various professional services like law firms, accounting firms, and consulting agencies operate within the city limits of Täby.
- Transportation & Logistics: Due to its proximity to Stockholm city center, Taby serves as an important transportation hub with logistics companies providing warehousing and distribution services.
Notable Historical Landmarks and People in Täby, Sweden
One of the most famous historical landmarks in Täby is Jarlabanke’s Bridge (Jarlabankes bro). Built in the 11th century by a prominent local chieftain named Jarlabanke, it was an impressive stone bridge that connected two parts of the region over Lake Vallentuna.
King Gustav Vasa, also known as Gustav I, played a significant role in Swedish history during the 16th century. He led Sweden’s fight for independence from Denmark-Norway and became the first monarch of the House of Vasa. Although not directly associated with Täby, his reign had an impact on the entire country.
The Roslagsbanan railway line has been an essential part of Täby’s transportation system since 1885 when it was established to connect Stockholm to various towns in northern Stockholm County.
Located partly within Täby’s borders, Ulriksdal Palace is a royal palace and former residence built during the 17th century by Queen Hedvig Eleonora. It has served as a summer residence for several Swedish monarchs over the years.
Known today as Norrviken IP or Norrvikens Idrottsplats, this sports arena hosted international football matches during its prime years from 1917 to around 1930s.
While she may not be directly associated with Täby itself, Astrid Lindgren was born nearby in Vimmerby, Småland. Lindgren is one of Sweden’s most beloved authors, known for creating characters like Pippi Longstocking and Ronja the Robber’s Daughter.
These are just a few examples of notable historical events and people associated with Täby, Sweden.
- Täby Centrum – This is a large shopping mall in Täby, offering a wide range of shops, restaurants, and entertainment options.
- Vallentuna Church – Located just outside of Täby, Vallentuna Church is a beautiful medieval church with stunning architecture and historical significance.
- Jarlabanke Runestones – These ancient Viking runestones are located in the vicinity of Täby and provide insight into the region’s history and culture.
- Roslagsbanan Museum – This museum showcases the history of Roslagsbanan railway line, which runs through Täby. Visitors can learn about the development of this important transportation system.
- Galo Art Gallery – A contemporary art gallery located in central Täby that exhibits works by local and international artists.
- Näsby Slott (Näsby Castle) – Situated on the outskirts of Täby, Näsby Slott is an elegant castle surrounded by beautiful gardens. It offers guided tours providing insights into its rich history.
- Djursholms Castle – Although not directly in Täby (located nearby), Djursholms Castle is worth a visit for its impressive architecture and picturesque surroundings.
- Näsbyparksskolan Konsthall (Näsbypark School Art Hall) – A small art center showcasing exhibitions by local artists as well as hosting workshops and cultural events.
- Tibble Church – An old parish church with origins dating back to medieval times, known for its beautiful frescoes and religious artifacts.
- Taby Racecourse- If you’re interested in horse racing or want to experience this traditional Swedish sport firsthand, visiting the racecourse can be an exciting option.
- Täby FK (Täby Fotbollsklubb): Täby FK is a football (soccer) club founded in 1926. The club has participated in various divisions of Swedish football leagues over the years.
- IK Frej: IK Frej is another football club based in Täby, founded in 1968. The team currently plays in Division 1 Norra, which is the third tier of Swedish football.
- IFK Täby Handball: IFK Täby Handball is a handball club that was established in 1934. The women’s team has achieved success and played at the highest level of Swedish handball.
- Sollentuna HC: Although not directly based in Täby, Sollentuna HC is an ice hockey team with its home arena located within the municipality of Täby.
These are just a few examples of sports teams associated with or located near to the municipality of Täby, Sweden.
- Täby Vikingamarknad: Held in June, this festival celebrates the Viking Age with reenactments, historical exhibitions, crafts, music, and food.
- Täbyloppet: A popular annual cross-country skiing race that takes place in February at the Täby Galopp track.
- Täby Kulturdagar: This event showcases various cultural activities such as art exhibitions, concerts, theater performances, dance shows, and workshops.
- Midsummer Celebration: Celebrated in June around the summer solstice, locals gather to dance around a maypole (midsommarstång), enjoy traditional Swedish food like herring and strawberries while singing songs.
- Christmas Market at Roslags Näsby Castle: This market takes place in December at Roslags Näsby Castle and offers a festive atmosphere with stalls selling handicrafts, local products, food specialties along with live music performances.
- International Food Festival: Held annually in September at Näsbypark Centrum Square; visitors can sample different cuisines from around the world while enjoying live music and entertainment.
- Täby Open Air Theater Festival (Täby Parkteater): During summer months (June-August), this festival presents open-air theater performances for all ages within beautiful park settings like Lövängsteatern or Skulpturparken i Vallatorp.
- Täby Krog: This restaurant offers traditional Swedish cuisine with a modern twist. They focus on using locally sourced ingredients and offer dishes like gravlax, meatballs, and herring.
- Restaurang Gamla Orangeriet: Located in the beautiful surroundings of Täby Park, this restaurant serves classic Swedish dishes with a touch of French influence. They also have a great selection of wines.
- Restaurang Sandströms Kök: Known for its cozy atmosphere and friendly service, this restaurant offers a mix of international and Swedish cuisine. Their menu includes dishes like steak tartare, seafood pasta, and reindeer fillet.
- Brasserie Godthem: Situated in an old villa by the waterfront, this brasserie provides an elegant dining experience with its stylish interior design. The menu features classic Swedish dishes such as toast Skagen (shrimp salad), cured salmon, and venison stew.
- Lilla Dalarna: This charming café serves traditional Swedish pastries such as cinnamon buns (kanelbullar) and princess cake (prinsesstårta). It’s the perfect spot to enjoy fika (coffee break) while exploring Täby.
- Sushibaren Täby Centrum: For sushi lovers, this restaurant is highly recommended for its fresh sushi rolls and sashimi platters made from high-quality ingredients.
- Thai House Wok & Grill: If you’re craving Thai food in Täby, Thai House Wok & Grill is known for its flavorful curries, stir-fried noodles, and grilled specialties like satay skewers.
These are just a few examples of popular local cuisine options in Täby that cater to various tastes preferences – from traditional Swedish fare to international flavors – offering something for everyone.
- Näsbypark Beach: Located by Lake Vallentuna, Näsbypark Beach is a beautiful sandy beach where you can relax, swim, or enjoy a picnic.
- Täby Centrum: This large shopping center also features an outdoor park area with seating and green spaces where you can take a break from shopping or enjoy some outdoor activities.
- Näsby Slottspark: Surrounding Näsby Castle, this park offers scenic walking paths, gardens, and historical buildings to explore.
- Rönninge By Nature Reserve: A nature reserve with hiking trails that take you through forests and meadows, offering opportunities for birdwatching and enjoying the natural beauty of the area.
- Täby Kyrkby Outdoor Recreation Area: This recreational area provides facilities for various sports such as soccer fields, tennis courts, jogging tracks, and a skatepark.
- Flottsbro Friluftsområde: Located nearby in Huddinge Municipality but easily accessible from Täby via public transportation or car; it offers outdoor activities like swimming in lakes during summer months or skiing on their slopes during winter months.
- Lötsjön Lake: A picturesque lake surrounded by lush greenery where you can go for walks or have a picnic by the water’s edge.
- Galoppfältet Horse Racing Track: If you’re interested in horse racing events or simply want to enjoy the atmosphere of this sport, Galoppfältet is worth visiting.
- Taby Racecourse (Täbys galoppbana): Another horse racing venue located in Taby that hosts regular races throughout the year.
These are just some examples of public parks and recreational activities available in Täby, Sweden. The city offers a wide range of outdoor spaces and facilities for residents and visitors to enjoy nature, sports, and leisure activities.