Region: Almaty Region
Geographic Coordinates: 45.016700, 78.366700
Temperature Range: -50.0°C to 40.0°C (-58°F to 104°F)
Climate: Cold and dry winters, hot and dry summers, with precipitation occurring mostly in the spring and fall.
Taldyqorghan is a city located in the southeastern part of Kazakhstan. The city is situated on the foothills of the Tien Shan mountain range, Which offers breathtaking views to its visitors. Taldyqorghan has a rich history and culture dating back to ancient times when it was an important trading center along the Silk Road. One of the most significant landmarks in Taldyqorghan is the Mausoleum of Khawaja Ahmed Yasawi. This mausoleum was built in honor of Sufi mystic and poet Khawaja Ahmed Yasawi, Who lived during the 12th century.
The mausoleum is considered one of Kazakhstan’s most important cultural sites and attracts thousands of visitors each year. Another notable attraction in Taldyqorghan is Lake Balkhash. This lake spans over 18, 000 square kilometers and provides a beautiful backdrop for outdoor activities such as fishing, Boating, And hiking. The lake also supports a diverse ecosystem that includes several species of fish and birds. Taldyqorghan has several other historical landmarks as well including ancient ruins from various periods throughout its history. One such site is Kulan-Karakol which dates back to around 300 BC during Alexander the Great’s conquests.
In addition to its historical significance, Taldyqorghan also serves as an important industrial hub for Kazakhstan’s economy with several factories producing goods such as textiles, Food products, And construction materials. The people living in Taldyqorghan are known for their hospitality towards visitors from all over the world. They take pride in their traditions while embracing modernity at the same time. Visitors can experience this unique blend by attending local festivals or dining at traditional Kazakh restaurants.
Overall, Taldyqorghan offers a unique blend of history, Culture, And natural beauty making it an ideal destination for travelers interested in exploring ancient ruins or enjoying outdoor activities.
- Taldykorgan Central Mosque
- Dostyk Park
- Abylai Khan Museum
- Almaty Reservoir
- Kyzylarai Mountains National Park
- Karashoky Mausoleum
- Zhambyl Regional Museum
- Turgen Gorge Waterfall
- The major industries and businesses in Taldyqorghan, Kazakhstan are:
- Produces wheat, barley, and other grains
- Several mining companies operate in the area extracting minerals such as gold, copper and lead from the surrounding mountains
- Produces textiles, food products and construction materials
- The city serves as a transportation hub for the region with a large railway station and several highways connecting it to other cities in Kazakhstan
- Residents of Taldyqorghan can purchase goods ranging from clothing to household items at several shopping centers and markets throughout the city
- The area attracts tourists from around the world due to its proximity to natural attractions such as Lake Balkhash and Altyn Emel National Park
- Taldyqorghan was a crucial stop on the Silk Road, which was a series of trade routes that linked China and the Mediterranean.
- During the 18th century, Taldyqorghan became a part of the Kazakh Khanate, an enormous empire that governed much of Central Asia.
- In the early 20th century, the city played an important role in Kazakhstan’s War of Independence against Russian rule.
- Mukhtar Auezov is one of Taldyqorghan’s most notable residents; he was a distinguished writer and intellectual who wrote extensively about Kazakh culture and history.
- Yerzhan Karin is another well-known figure from Taldyqorghan; he won a bronze medal in boxing at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
- In recent years, Taldyqorghan has become renowned for its mining industry and is home to several large mines that produce gold, copper, and other minerals.
- The city also hosts an annual music festival called Dombra Fest that celebrates traditional Kazakh music and culture.
- Taldykorgan Regional Museum
- Korgalzhyn State Nature Reserve
- Zhoshy Khan Mausoleum
- Abay Kazakh State Academic Opera and Ballet Theater
- Abylai Khan’s Palace Museum
- Altyn Emel National Park
- Esentai Tower Observation Deck
- Almaty Central Mosque
- Koktobe Hill
- Medeu Skating Rink and Ski Resort
- FC Altay Semey – A football club based in Taldyqorghan that competes in the Kazakhstan First Division.
- BC Kaspiy Aktau – A basketball club based in Aktau city but has a strong fan base in Taldyqorghan.
- VC Almatymedenizbank – A volleyball team based out of Almaty but has players from different cities of Kazakhstan including Taldykorgan.
- Ice Hockey team Kazakhmys – The ice hockey team is no longer active but was once based out of Karaganda city which is near to Taldykorgan.
Overall, while there may not be any major sports teams with a rich history from this region, there are still many local teams and athletes who continue to represent their communities through their passion for athletics and competition.
- Nauryz – a traditional spring festival observed every March 21st.
- Kurban Ait – a Muslim religious holiday.
- Independence Day – commemorating Kazakhstan’s independence from the Soviet Union on December 16th.
- Zhautyk – a traditional Kazakh game festival typically held during August or September.
- Sabantuy – a Tatar-Russian festival that marks the end of spring planting and start of summer harvest season.
It is important to note that these events may vary yearly and are subject to change due to weather conditions or government regulations.
- Beshbarmak – a traditional Kazakh dish made with boiled meat (usually lamb or beef) and served on top of flat noodles.
- Shashlik – grilled meat skewers that are a staple in Kazakh cuisine.
- Lagman – a noodle soup dish that is often made with vegetables and meat.
- Kishkek – a porridge-like dish made from wheat flour, onions, and meat broth.
- Samsa – a savory pastry filled with meat or vegetables.
Popular Restaurants in Taldyqorghan:
- Alasha Restaurant – known for its traditional Kazakh dishes such as beshbarmak and shashlik.
- Yubileinaya Restaurant – offers both local and international cuisine options, including sushi and pizza.
- Nana’s Kitchen – serves up homemade Kazakh meals such as lagman and kishkek in a cozy atmosphere.
- Zhuldyz Cafe & Bar – features live music performances along with its menu of European-inspired dishes like pasta and steak.
- Dastarkhan Cafe & Bar- known for its delicious samsa pastries filled with various meats or vegetables.
- Central Park of Culture and Rest is a large park that boasts walking paths, playgrounds, and sports facilities.
- The Taldykorgan Botanical Garden is a stunning garden that features a wide array of plant species.
- Al-Farabi Park is a picturesque park with breathtaking views of the nearby mountains.
- Auezov Park is another popular destination for those looking to take a stroll or have a picnic in nature’s beauty.
- The Ice Palace Alau is an indoor ice skating rink that also serves as the venue for hockey games and other events.
- The Taldykorgan Zoo houses various animals such as lions, tigers, bears, monkeys, among others.
- The Sports Complex Zhetysu offers state-of-the-art facilities for numerous sports including tennis, swimming, football (soccer), basketball and volleyball.