Acapulco de Juárez, Mexico
Geographic Coordinates: 16.863600, -99.882500
Temperature Range: 20.0°C to 35.0°C (68°F to 95°F)
Climate: Warm and humid climate with rainy season from May to October and dry season from November to April. Hurricanes are also possible from June to November.
Acapulco de Juárez, Also known as Acapulco, Is a resort town located on the Pacific coast of Mexico in the state of Guerrero. The city boasts a picturesque bay surrounded by mountains with stunning views of the ocean. Acapulco is famous for its beautiful beaches, Vibrant nightlife, And rich cultural heritage. The beaches in Acapulco are one of its most popular attractions. Visitors can enjoy swimming, Sunbathing and water sports such as surfing and jet skiing on several pristine stretches of sand including Playa Caleta, Playa Hornos and Playa Condesa.
These beaches offer excellent facilities such as restaurants, Bars, Showers and changing rooms. Acapulco’s nightlife scene attracts visitors from around the world with numerous nightclubs, Bars and restaurants that cater to all tastes and preferences. Live music performances featuring traditional Mexican music like mariachi or modern pop hits are common. The history of Acapulco dates back to pre-Columbian times when it was inhabited by indigenous people called Nahuas. Later on during the 16th century it became an important port for Spanish colonial ships traveling between Asia and America.
Fort San Diego which was built in 1616 to protect against pirates is one historical site that visitors can explore. La Quebrada cliff divers who perform breathtaking feats by jumping off cliffs into shallow waters below at heights up to 35 meters (115 feet) are another must-visit attraction in Acapulco. This tradition began back in 1934 when locals started diving off cliffs for fun but soon turned into a tourist attraction.
Food lovers will be delighted with Acapulco’s culinary offerings which include delicious seafood dishes such as ceviche made with fresh fish marinated in lime juice or shrimp cooked in garlic butter along with mole – a rich sauce made with chocolate and chili peppers -and tacos al pastor made from marinated pork meat. Acapulco de Juárez is a beautiful resort town that offers visitors an unforgettable experience. With its stunning beaches, Vibrant nightlife scene, Rich cultural heritage and delicious cuisine, It is no wonder why Acapulco has been a favorite vacation destination for many years.
- La Quebrada Cliff Divers
- Acapulco Bay
- Chapel of Peace (Capilla de la Paz)
- Fort of San Diego (Fuerte de San Diego)
- Zocalo (Main Square)
- Acapulco Botanical Garden (Jardin Botanico de Acapulco)
- Papagayo Park (Parque Papagayo)
- Casa de la Cultura
- Tres Palos Lagoon
- La Roqueta Island
- Abundance of hotels, restaurants, and entertainment venues
- Significant industry in the region owing to its proximity to the Pacific Ocean
- Crops like bananas, coconuts, and mangoes
- Textiles and clothing production
- Construction materials
- The Spanish arrived in 1521, led by Hernán Cortés, who named the area Acapulco, which means place of giant reeds.
- The port was established in 1565, making Acapulco an important trade hub between Asia and Latin America.
- The Battle of Acapulco occurred in 1813 during the Mexican War of Independence when Mexican forces defeated Spanish troops.
- Famous writer Alexander von Humboldt visited in 1803 and wrote about his experiences and observations in his book Personal Narrative.
- La Quebrada cliff divers platform was constructed in 1934 and has become a major tourist attraction.
- Hollywood movies such as Elvis Presley’s Fun In Acapulco (1963) and James Bond’s Licence to Kill (1989) have been filmed there.
- Actress Elizabeth Taylor owned a house there and regularly visited; John F Kennedy honeymooned there with his wife Jacqueline; musician Frank Sinatra performed at local clubs.
- In recent years, drug violence and crime have impacted Acapulco’s tourism industry and reputation as a safe destination for visitors.
- Fuerte de San Diego Museum
- La Quebrada Cliff Divers
- Zocalo (Main Square)
- Acapulco Historical Museum
- Casa de la Cultura
- El Veladero National Park
- Capilla de la Paz (Chapel of Peace)
- Palma Sola Archaeological Site
- Papagayo Park
- Botanical Garden of Acapulco
- The Acapulco Warriors are a professional basketball team that plays in the Liga Nacional de Baloncesto Profesional (LNBP). They were founded in 2016 and are based in Acapulco de Juárez, Mexico.
- Rojos del Municipal Acapulco is a Mexican football club that was established in 1957 and is located in Acapulco de Juárez, Guerrero. Their home games take place at Estadio Unidad Deportiva.
- Guerreros de la Playa is a beach soccer team based in Acapulco de Juárez, Guerrero. The team has won numerous national championships since its founding in 2008.
- Tigres ACAPULCO FC is a football club located in the city of Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico that was founded on June 23rd, 2015.
- Lobos UAGRO represents Universidad Autónoma de Guerrero (UAGro) and is primarily based on the outskirts of Chilpancingo but also plays some home games at Estadio Unidad Deportiva Juan Álvarez located within the city limits of nearby Acapulco.
- Halcones Marinos Xalapa was an expansion franchise added to the LNBP for the league’s 2007-08 season which played out of Gimnasio Marcelino González located within Galerías Plaza Las Américas shopping mall near downtown area of this resort city until they folded after their third season having never made it to playoffs either time they qualified for them during their brief existence there from October ’07 through March ’10 before being moved by owner Gerardo Valdivia to Xalapa, Veracruz where they became Halcones Rojos Veracruz for 2010-11 season.
- Festival Internacional de Cine Acapulco (International Film Festival)
- Carnaval de Acapulco (Carnival)
- Expo Feria Acapulco (Fair and Exhibition)
- Festival del Mar y la Playa (Sea and Beach Festival)
- Fiestas Patrias (National Independence Day Celebration)
- Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead Celebration)
- Semana Santa y Pascua (Holy Week and Easter Celebrations)
- Fiesta de San Francisco de Asís (Feast of St Francis of Assisi)
- Virgen de la Soledad Procession
- Torneo Internacional de Pesca Deportiva en Altamar(Acapulco International Sport Fishing Tournament)
Top 5 Mexican Dishes:
- Tacos de Pescado (Fish Tacos)
Popular Restaurants in Acapulco de Juárez, Mexico:
- La Tortuga Restaurant & Bar
- Zibu Allende Restaurant
- Suntory Japanese Restaurant
- El Zorrito Seafood Restaurant
- Restaurante Los Flamingos
- Parque Papagayo is a large park in Acapulco that has something for everyone. There are playgrounds, gardens, a lake, and sports facilities such as basketball courts and soccer fields.
- La Quebrada Cliff Divers is a famous attraction where skilled divers jump from cliffs into the ocean below. It’s an exciting sight to see!
- Playa Caleta y Caletilla are two beaches located next to each other that offer water activities such as jet skiing and parasailing. They’re both great places to relax and enjoy the sun.
- Isla La Roqueta is an island off the coast of Acapulco that can be reached by boat and offers snorkeling, kayaking, and hiking trails. It’s a beautiful place to explore nature.
- Parque Nacional El Veladero is a national park with hiking trails, waterfalls, and scenic views of the coastline. It’s perfect for those who love outdoor adventures.
- Centro Internacional de Convivencia Infantil (CICI) is an amusement park for children with rides and games that will keep them entertained all day long.
- Museo Histórico de Acapulco Fuerte de San Diego is a historical museum located in a fort that dates back to the 18th century. It’s full of interesting artifacts and exhibits about the history of Acapulco.
- Palma Sola Archaeological Zone is an ancient site with ruins of pre-Hispanic structures dating back to 1000 BC. It’s fascinating for anyone interested in history or archaeology.
- Jardín Botánico de Acapulco (Botanical Garden) showcases many of Mexico’s native plant species. It’s perfect for nature lovers or anyone interested in botany.
- Parque Ecológico El Veladero – A nature reserve offering bird watching opportunities among other activities. This is a great place to explore the natural beauty of Acapulco and see some amazing birds.