Geographic Coordinates: 43.858300, -79.036400
Temperature Range: -40.0°C to 30.0°C (-40°F to 86°F)
Climate: Cold and snowy winters, mild springs and falls, and warm summers with occasional thunderstorms.
Ajax is a town located in Ontario, Canada’s Durham region. It sits on the north shore of Lake Ontario and is about 25 kilometers east of Toronto. The town has a population of over 120, 000 people and covers an area of 67 square kilometers. Incorporated as a town in 1955, Ajax was named after the HMS Ajax which played an important role during World War II. Since then, It has grown rapidly and has become one of Greater Toronto Area’s most desirable residential areas. Ajax boasts a beautiful waterfront that stretches for over seven kilometers along Lake Ontario.
This area features several parks, Trails, Beaches, And marinas that are popular with residents and tourists alike. Rotary Park is one such park that offers stunning views of the lake as well as picnic areas, Playgrounds, And sports fields. The town’s rich history can be explored at several museums such as the Ajax Heritage Centre which showcases exhibits about local history including early settlement days & military contributions during wartime periods among others.
Ajax also offers an impressive array of recreational facilities including community centers with indoor pools & fitness rooms; outdoor sports fields; ice rinks; skate parks; tennis courts among others catering to all ages & interests. For those interested in shopping or dining out there are numerous options available throughout Ajax including major retail chains like Walmart & Canadian Tire to smaller independent stores & restaurants offering diverse cuisines from around the world. Overall Ajax offers something for everyone whether you’re looking for natural beauty or urban amenities making it an ideal place to live or visit!
- Ajax Waterfront Park: A scenic park that offers beautiful views of Lake Ontario.
- Rotary Park: A family-friendly park with playgrounds, picnic areas, and sports facilities.
- Greenwood Conservation Area: A natural area with hiking trails and wildlife viewing opportunities.
- Veterans’ Point Gardens: A memorial park dedicated to Canadian veterans.
- Annandale National Historic Site: An 1830s mansion that has been restored as a museum showcasing local history.
- Ajax Downs Racetrack: A horse racing track that also hosts events and concerts throughout the year.
- Carruther’s Creek Golf & Country Club: An 18-hole golf course with stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
- Pickering Village Museum: An open-air museum featuring historic buildings from the 19th century.
- Hermitage Park: A peaceful nature reserve with walking trails and birdwatching opportunities.
- Ajax Community Centre & McLean Community Centre: Two popular community centers for recreational activities like swimming, skating etc.
- The major industries and businesses in Ajax, Canada are diverse. They include:
- Information technology
- Health care
- The manufacturing sector is strong in Ajax with numerous companies producing a wide range of products from automotive parts to pharmaceuticals.
- Several IT companies specializing in software development, cybersecurity and data analytics are also based in Ajax.
- The health care industry is growing rapidly with several hospitals and medical centers located in the area.
- Retail stores including big-box retailers like Walmart and Home Depot can be found throughout the city.
- Ajax has several schools and colleges including Durham College’s campus for skilled trades training.
- Transportation companies have also established operations due to its proximity to Toronto and other major cities in Ontario.
- A growing population has led to an increased demand for new homes and commercial buildings which has resulted in a thriving construction industry.
- First Nations: The area now known as Ajax was originally inhabited by Indigenous peoples, including the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.
- World War II: During World War II, a munitions plant was built in Ajax to support the war effort. The plant employed thousands of workers and played a crucial role in Canada’s victory.
- Diefenbunker: After the war, the Ajax site was used as a storage facility for nuclear weapons until 1979 when it was converted into an emergency government bunker known as Diefenbunker.
- Pickering Nuclear Generating Station: The Pickering Nuclear Generating Station, located near Ajax, is one of Canada’s largest nuclear power plants and has been in operation since 1971.
- Paul Coffey: Hockey player Paul Coffey grew up in Ajax and went on to become one of the most successful defensemen in NHL history.
- Markham Pan Am Centre: The Markham Pan Am Centre, which hosted events during the 2015 Pan American Games, is located just outside of Ajax.
- Marc Garneau: Canadian astronaut Marc Garneau served as Member of Parliament for the riding that includes Ajax from 2008-2015.
- Michael Coteau: Ontario politician Michael Coteau represents part of Ajax in the provincial legislature and has held several cabinet positions since being elected in 2011.
- Todd MacFarlane: Comic book artist Todd MacFarlane grew up in nearby Scarborough but attended high school at J.R.A.D.C., which later became Pickering High School after amalgamation with other schools from surrounding areas including parts now considered to be within modern-day AJAX boundaries.
- The Town Hall controversy: In recent years there has been controversy over plans to build a new town hall complex for AJAX that would include both municipal offices and retail space on land currently used by a local park. Some residents have opposed the development, arguing that it would destroy a valuable community resource and lead to increased traffic and congestion in the area.
- Ajax Waterfront Park
- Veterans’ Point Gardens
- Rotary Park
- Greenwood Conservation Area
- Ajax Public Library – Main Branch
- The Robert McLaughlin Gallery (RMG)
- Canadian Automotive Museum
- Oshawa Community Museum & Archives
- The Ontario Regiment RCAC Museum
- Ajax Community Centre and McLean Community Centre
- Ajax FC is a soccer club founded in 2009 that competes in the Durham Region Soccer League. The team has won several championships over the years.
- Ajax Knights is a minor hockey team playing in the Ontario Minor Hockey Association (OMHA). This team has produced NHL players like Jeff Skinner and John Tavares.
- Ajax Spartans is a youth football organization offering programs for players of all ages and skill levels. The organization has been around for over 50 years and has won numerous championships at both provincial and national levels.
- Durham West Jr Lightning is a girls’ hockey team representing multiple towns, including Ajax, competing across Ontario with many successful seasons over the years.
- Pickering/Ajax Panthers is a rugby club founded in 1976 that competes in various leagues across Ontario with multiple championship wins at both senior men’s and women’s levels.
- Ajax Music Festival: A multi-day event featuring a diverse lineup of local and international musicians performing across multiple stages.
- Ajax Farmers’ Market: A weekly market where local farmers and artisans sell fresh produce, baked goods, crafts, and more.
- Ajax Garden Tour: An annual event that allows visitors to explore beautiful gardens throughout the community while learning about gardening techniques from expert gardeners.
- Ajax Winter Wonderland: A holiday-themed festival featuring festive lights, outdoor activities like ice skating and sledding, and visits with Santa Claus.
- Ajax Heritage Days: An event that celebrates the history of the town through guided tours of historic sites, reenactments, and educational exhibits.
- Durham Craft Beer Festival: A festival showcasing craft breweries from around Durham Region with tastings, food vendors, and live music performances.
- The Lake Grill – known for its seafood dishes and waterfront views.
- The Village Greek – serving authentic Greek cuisine such as souvlaki, gyros, and moussaka.
- The Chopped Leaf – a healthy fast-food restaurant that offers salads, wraps, bowls, and smoothies.
- La Pizza & Pasta – an Italian restaurant that serves wood-fired pizza and homemade pasta dishes.
- Oishi Sushi – a Japanese restaurant that offers sushi rolls, sashimi, tempura dishes, and bento boxes.
- Hakka Legend Asian Cuisine – serving Chinese-Indian fusion cuisine such as chili chicken, Manchurian noodles, and biryani rice.
- Il Fornello Ajax – an upscale Italian restaurant that serves Neapolitan-style pizzas cooked in a wood-fired oven.
- The Copper Branch – a vegan fast-food chain that offers plant-based burgers, sandwiches,bowls,and desserts.
- Kabob Hut Express – offering Middle Eastern food like shawarma plates or falafel wraps
- Tandoori Time – Indian food with vegetarian options like chana masala or paneer tikka