Geographic Coordinates: 32.910000, -96.630400
Climate: Garland has a humid subtropical climate with hot summers and mild winters. The area experiences frequent thunderstorms, particularly in the spring, and occasional snowfall in the winter.
Garland is a lively city located in the northeastern part of Texas, United States. It is positioned just 12 miles northeast of downtown Dallas and is a part of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. Garland has a population of over 240, 000 residents and covers an area of approximately 57 square miles. The city has a rich history dating back to the mid-1800s when it was first settled by European immigrants. Over time, Garland has grown into a diverse community with strong economic sectors that include manufacturing, Healthcare, Education, And retail industries.
One of the most notable attractions in Garland is Firewheel Town Center – an open-air shopping center featuring over 125 stores and restaurants spread across more than one million square feet. Visitors can enjoy shopping at popular retailers such as Dillard’s, Macy’s, Or Old Navy or dine at one of many eateries like Gloria’s Latin Cuisine or The Cheesecake Factory. For those seeking outdoor recreation opportunities, Garland provides plenty to offer as well.
The city maintains over 2, 800 acres of parkland across its numerous parks which include Audubon Park and Lake Ray Hubbard Park – offering amenities such as hiking trails, Picnic areas with barbecue pits and playgrounds for children. Garland also hosts several annual events that attract visitors from all around Texas including its famous Christmas on the Square celebration featuring live music performances by local artists along with food vendors selling holiday treats like hot cocoa or roasted chestnuts.
In addition to its impressive recreational offerings and economic opportunities for businesses large or small alike; education plays an important role in this growing city too! With three public school districts serving students from Pre-K through high school graduation (Garland ISD), Higher education options are available through Richland College satellite campus located right here in town! Overall, Garland offers something for everyone whether you’re looking for shopping excursions or outdoor adventures – there truly isn’t any shortage of fun activities to enjoy in this bustling city.
- Hawaiian Falls Water Park
- Firewheel Town Center
- Patty Granville Arts Center
- Spring Creek Forest Preserve
- Garland Landmark Museum
- The Harbor Rockwall
- Breckinridge Park
- Rowlett Creek Preserve
- Garland Symphony Orchestra
- Oakridge Country Club
Major Industries and Businesses in Garland, United States
The major industries and businesses in Garland, United States are diverse and contribute significantly to the city’s economy. These industries include:
Manufacturing is a hub in Garland with companies such as:
- Kraft Foods
- General Dynamics
- Atlas Copco
The healthcare industry is also a major contributor to the economy of Garland with numerous hospitals and medical facilities located within the city including:
- Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Garland
Retail stores are abundant in Garland with several shopping centers including:
- Firewheel Town Center which is one of Texas’ largest outdoor malls
The technology industry has been growing rapidly in Garland with companies like:
- Fujitsu Network Communications
- Samsung Electronics America
- L-3 Communications Integrated Systems
Education is another important sector with several schools, colleges and universities located within or near the city including:
- Richland College -Garland Campus
Finally, the energy industry plays a significant role with companies like:
- Oncor Electric Delivery having their headquarters located nearby Dallas
- The city of Garland was established in 1891 and was named after Augustus Hill Garland, who served as the U.S. Attorney General.
- In the early 1900s, Garland became a significant center for cotton farming and processing.
- During World War II, it served as a large Army Air Corps training base that trained pilots for overseas combat missions.
- Some notable individuals from Garland include Selena Gomez (actress), Von Miller (football player), and Roy Orbison (musician).
- In 1966, heavy rains caused severe flooding that resulted in several deaths and significant damage to homes and businesses in the area.
- The city is famous for its annual Christmas parade, which has been held since 1935.
- Recently, Garland has become a hub for technology companies like Fujitsu Network Communications and Raytheon Intelligence & Space.
- Tourists often visit Hawaiian Falls Waterpark and Firewheel Town Center shopping mall – both popular destinations located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex region of Texas where Garland is situated.
- Garland Landmark Museum
- Patty Granville Arts Center
- Spring Creek Forest Preserve and Park
- Hawaiian Falls Garland Waterpark
- The Plaza Theatre Downtown Garland
- Audubon Park
- Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World
- Firewheel Town Center Mall
- Garland Opry House
- Surf and Swim Wave Pool
- Garland Owls – The Garland Owls are the high school football team of Garland, Texas. They have a successful history with multiple state championships and playoff appearances.
- Garland Mavericks – The Garland Mavericks are a semi-professional basketball team that plays in the Texas United Basketball Association (TUBA). Founded in 2013, they have consistently contended for the TUBA championship.
- Dallas Charge – The Dallas Charge was a professional women’s softball team based in nearby McKinney, Texas that played in the National Pro Fastpitch league from 2015-2016.
- North Texas Stampede – The North Texas Stampede was an American football team based in nearby Mesquite, Texas that played in the Lone Star Football League from 2011-2014.
- Dallas Sidekicks – Although not located specifically within Garland, the indoor soccer franchise of Dallas Sidekicks has had some notable games at Curtis Culwell Center within city limits over their tenure since they were established back on August 22nd, 1983 as one of six founding members of Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL).
- Garland Labor Day Parade and Festivities
- Garland Symphony Orchestra Concerts
- Garland Jazz Festival
- Downtown Garland Art & Wine Walk
- Christmas on the Square Festival and Tree Lighting Ceremony
- Cinco de Mayo Celebration
- Juneteenth Freedom Fest
- Greek Food Festival of Dallas in nearby Addison, Texas
- Taste of Dallas food festival in nearby Dallas, Texas
- Tex-Mex cuisine at Casa Vieja Mexican Grill.
- Barbecue at Meshack’s Bar-B-Que Shack.
- Vietnamese cuisine at Pho Pasteur.
- Mediterranean cuisine at Fadi’s Mediterranean Grill.
- Seafood at Fish N’ Tails Oyster Bar & Grill.
- Southern-style comfort food at Babe’s Chicken Dinner House.
- Indian cuisine at Taj Mahal Indian Restaurant.
- Italian cuisine at Siciliano’s A Taste of Italy.
- Chinese cuisine at First Chinese BBQ.
- Japanese sushi and hibachi grill specialties from Sushi Yama.
- Spring Creek Forest Preserve offers hiking, birdwatching, and nature trails for those who love the great outdoors.
- Surf and Swim is a water park that boasts pools and slides for those seeking aquatic adventure.
- Hawaiian Falls Waterpark is another option for water park enthusiasts with its slides, pools, and lazy river.
- Lake Ray Hubbard provides opportunities for boating, fishing, swimming, and picnicking by the water’s edge.
- Audubon Park has something for everyone with playgrounds, sports fields/courts (basketball/tennis), and picnic areas to enjoy.
- Garland Parks & Recreation Centers offer various indoor/outdoor activities such as fitness classes, sports leagues/tournaments (basketball/volleyball), arts & crafts programs across multiple locations in the area.
- Firewheel Golf Park features two 18-hole golf courses perfect for golf enthusiasts looking to hit the links.
- Rowlett Creek Preserve Trail is a biking/hiking trail that offers scenic views of the creek along its path.
- Central Park Recreation Center provides an indoor pool, gymnasium, weight room, game room to cater to all your fitness needs in one place.
- Oaks Branch Greenbelt Trail is a biking/hiking trail that winds through beautiful greenery making it perfect for nature lovers looking to explore on foot or bike.