Region: Gia Lai province
Geographic Coordinates: 13.983300, 108.000000
Temperature Range: 15.0°C to 35.0°C (59°F to 95°F)
Climate: Tropical climate with a rainy season from May to October and a dry season from November to April.
Pleiku is a city located in the central highlands of Vietnam, Approximately 200 kilometers north of Ho Chi Minh City. It is the capital of Gia Lai Province and has a population of around 250, 000 people. The city is situated on a plateau at an altitude of over 800 meters above sea level, Which gives it a cooler climate than other parts of Vietnam. Pleiku has a rich history dating back to the Cham civilization that ruled the area from the 2nd to the 15th century.
During the Vietnam War, Pleiku was an important strategic location for both sides due to its proximity to Cambodia and its position on Highway 14, Which connected Saigon with Central Highlands. The city was heavily bombed by American forces during this time and many buildings were destroyed. Today, Pleiku is known for its beautiful scenery and natural attractions such as lakes, Waterfalls, And mountains. One popular destination is T’Nung Lake which offers stunning views and recreational activities such as fishing and boating.
Another must-see attraction is Phu Cuong Waterfall which cascades down from a height of over twenty meters into a crystal-clear pool below. The city also has several cultural sites worth visiting including Gia Lai Museum which showcases artifacts from local ethnic groups such as Bahnar and Jarai tribes who have lived in this region for centuries. Visitors can also explore Kon Ka Kinh National Park where they can see diverse flora and fauna along with spectacular views from mountain peaks. Pleiku’s cuisine reflects its diverse ethnic makeup with influences from Vietnamese, Chinese, Cambodian cultures among others.
Local specialties include grilled pork skewers (nem nuong), Rice noodle soup (bun bo hue) or beef noodles (pho). Visitors can find these dishes at street food stalls or local restaurants throughout town. In terms of transportation options in Pleiku are limited but visitors can easily rent a motorbike or hire a taxi to explore the city and its surroundings. The city has an airport with daily flights to Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, And Danang. Overall, Pleiku is a fascinating destination that offers visitors the chance to experience Vietnam’s natural beauty and rich cultural heritage.
With its cool climate, Stunning scenery, And friendly locals, It is definitely worth adding to any travel itinerary in Vietnam.
- Bien Ho Lake
- Minh Thanh Pagoda
- Pleiku Cathedral
- Gia Lai Museum
- Ho Chi Minh Trail Museum
- Ham Rong Mountain
- T’Nung Lake
- Phu Cuong Waterfall
- Chu Dang Ya Volcano
- Kon Ka Kinh National Park
Pleiku’s Diverse Economy
Pleiku is a city in Vietnam with a diverse economy that encompasses various industries and businesses. Some of the major industries and businesses in Pleiku include:
- Textile industry
- Manufacturing industry
- Construction industry
- Transportation services
Agriculture is one of the primary industries in Pleiku due to its fertile land. Farmers grow crops such as:
The city also has rich mineral resources like bauxite, gold and iron ore which contribute to its mining industry.
Forestry plays an important role in providing timber for construction purposes.
The textile industry has several factories producing clothing items like shirts, pants and skirts.
Tourism is also a growing sector with beautiful landscapes and cultural heritage sites attracting visitors from all over the world.
The manufacturing industry is another significant contributor to Pleiku’s economy with companies producing goods ranging from electronics to furniture.
With a growing population there is an increasing demand for new housing developments leading to growth of construction industry within Pleiku.
Due to its strategic location on national highways 14D and 19 connecting Hanoi with Ho Chi Minh City it serves as transportation hub making it easier for goods transporters to move their products across different regions of Vietnam.
- The Battle of Pleiku in 1965 was a significant event during the Vietnam War. The North Vietnamese Army attacked a U.S. airbase, resulting in many casualties.
- The Ho Chi Minh Trail passed through Pleiku and was used by the North Vietnamese Army to transport troops and supplies during the war.
- General Nguyen Khanh served as the commander of II Corps in Pleiku during the Vietnam War.
- Montagnards are an ethnic minority group that resides in the Central Highlands region of Vietnam, including Pleiku. They supported U.S forces during the war.
- The Dak To Battle took place near Dak To, close to Pleiku, and was another major battle during the Vietnam War.
- Nguyen Van Thieu served as South Vietnam’s president from 1967 until its fall to communist forces in 1975 and visited Pleiku several times throughout his presidency.
- The Gia Lai Province Museum is located nearby and contains exhibits related to local history and culture, including artifacts from various ethnic groups living in this region of Vietnam.
- Bishop Joseph Pham Van Thien was appointed bishop of Kontum Diocese which included areas around Pleiku and advocated for social justice issues affecting minorities such as Montagnards.
- Gia Lai Museum showcases the history and culture of the Gia Lai province, which includes Pleiku.
- Minh Thanh Pagoda is located on a hill overlooking Pleiku and offers stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
- The War Memorial Monument commemorates those who lost their lives during the Vietnam War and is a must-visit for anyone interested in learning about this important period in Vietnamese history.
- Ho Chi Minh Trail Museum tells the story of the Ho Chi Minh trail, which was used to transport troops and supplies during the Vietnam War.
- T’Nung Lake is surrounded by lush green hills and is a popular spot for fishing, boating, and picnicking.
- Duc Co Church was built by French missionaries in 1932 and features traditional Vietnamese architecture with Gothic influences.
- Kon Ka Kinh National Park offers hiking trails through dense forests, waterfalls, and stunning mountain vistas about an hour’s drive from Pleiku.
- Le Hong Phong Square is a popular gathering place for locals in Pleiku that features fountains, statues, gardens, and plenty of benches to sit on while people-watching or enjoying some street food from nearby vendors.
- Football (soccer) is the most popular sport in Vietnam, with a national team that competes internationally and several professional clubs.
- Other popular sports include:
- Martial arts (known as Vovinam)
- Table tennis
- Local newspapers
- The city’s tourism board for additional information
- Gia Lai Ethnic Culture Festival celebrates the cultural diversity of the Gia Lai province, including Pleiku. It features traditional music and dance performances, handicraft exhibitions, and local cuisine.
- T’Rung Festival is dedicated to the T’Rung musical instrument unique to the Central Highlands of Vietnam. It includes performances by T’Rung players from different ethnic groups in the region.
- Mid-Autumn Festival is a traditional Vietnamese festival celebrated throughout the country, including in Pleiku. It involves lantern parades, mooncake eating, and lion dances.
- Tet Nguyen Dan (Vietnamese New Year) is one of Vietnam’s most important holidays celebrated with great enthusiasm throughout the country with dragon dances and fireworks displays usually taking place in Pleiku during this time.
- Buffalo Fighting Festival is a controversial event where two buffalo fight while people place bets on their outcome annually in March or April in nearby villages outside of Pleiku.
- Elephant Racing Festival takes place outside of Pleiku annually where visitors can watch elephants compete against each other while carrying riders on their backs held in Buon Don district.
- Kon Ka Kinh National Park Flower Festival showcases a wide range of flowers grown within Kon Ka Kinh National Park as well as cultural activities such as gong performances by ethnic minorities living around Kon Ka Kinh mountain range.
- Bún chả – a dish of grilled pork served with rice noodles, vegetables, and dipping sauce. One of the best places to try this dish is at Bún chả Hải Dương.
- Cơm tấm – broken rice served with grilled pork or chicken, pickled vegetables, and fish sauce. A famous restaurant for this dish is Cơm Tấm Ba Ghiền.
- Bánh xèo – a crispy pancake filled with shrimp, pork, bean sprouts and herbs. You can find delicious bánh xèo at Quán Ăn Mười Năm.
- Nem nướng – grilled pork sausage wrapped in rice paper with herbs and dipping sauce. Check out Nem Nướng Lê Đức Thọ for some mouth-watering nem nướng.
- Phở – a Vietnamese noodle soup that comes in different variations such as beef or chicken phở. You can enjoy phở at Phở Hòa or Phở 24H.
- Nhà hàng Tây Nguyên – a restaurant that serves traditional dishes from the Central Highlands region of Vietnam such as gà rô ti (roast chicken), lẩu cua đồng (field crab hot pot), and bò né (grilled beef).
- BBQ Minh Châu- A great place to enjoy BBQ dishes like grilled beef/chicken/pork ribs etc
- Gia Lai Homestay- This homestay offers authentic Vietnamese food made by locals which includes traditional dishes like Canh Chua Ca Loc (Sour Fish Soup), Banh Xeo(Golden Pancakes) etc
- Yaly Waterfall Park: A popular park located approximately 20 km away from the center of Pleiku city, which features a stunning waterfall and picnic areas.
- Ho Than Tho Lake: A picturesque lake situated in the heart of Pleiku city, offering boat rides and fishing activities.
- Minh Thanh Pagoda Park: A serene park with a Buddhist temple, gardens, and walking paths.
- Gia Lai Provincial Museum: An informative museum that showcases the history and culture of Gia Lai province.
- Kon Ka Kinh National Park: A vast national park with diverse flora and fauna, hiking trails, waterfalls, and camping sites.
- Dong Xanh Cultural Village: An interactive cultural village that showcases the traditions of ethnic minority groups in the Central Highlands region through various activities like music performances and handicraft demonstrations.
- Phu Cuong Waterfall Park: Another scenic waterfall park located about 30 km away from Pleiku city center with hiking trails leading to stunning views of surrounding landscapes.
- Dak Doa Hot Springs Resort: A relaxing resort featuring natural hot springs pools, spa services, restaurants, accommodations for overnight stays or day trips.